Young Ben's Silbergrau E46 M3

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by YoungBenny, May 5, 2019.

1. 5 May 2019 at 2:17 PM #1
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 LCI - Coupe - Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Welcome everyone.

I present to you my manual E46 M3 coupe. It is a Silver Grey facelift with black leather, having covered just over 80k miles and is specced with everything but a sunroof and HK.

[​IMG]

Current Mods:

Brembo BBK (4 pot front and rear from a Porsche Cayman S)
    KW V2 coilovers
    CSL reps with hubcentric spacers
    Autosolutions short shift kit
    F10 M5 gearknob
    Matt black kidneys & wing vents
    Gel plates
    Sharkfin delete
    Led interiors, reverse and number plate lamps
    Royal Steering Wheel and handbrake/ gear lever gaiters
    Custom Google Nexus 7 dash install
    Supersprint resonated section 2

Maintainence

Full service
    New rear tyres
    New BMW headlight lenses
    New BMW clear indicators
    New BMW clear side repeaters
    New BMW power steering hose
    New OEM Auxilliary belts and all pulleys/tensioners
    New OEM engine mounts
    Re-sprayed wipers
    Re-sprayed rear window poppers
    Re-dyed parcel shelf
    Re-glued aperture seals
    Drilled and riveted exhaust tips

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having owned a 325ci for the last 3 years, I knew I needed to own an M3 to truly experience what the E46 had to offer. With prices on the rise, roughly 18 months ago I decided to stay away from any serious mods on the 325 and save for an M3.

Around a month ago I visited Aaron after seeing his car on eBay, and realising it was modified near enough precisely how I wanted it as far as the pricey options go. Paint colour, BBK and in the right colour, KW V2 coilovers, CSL reps with spacers and a short shift kit.

After a quick chat, we arranged a visit and upon seeing it the car captivated me straight away. The paintwork was as near to perfect as you could hope for and the interior was immaculate. It took a very short period of time to find out that I was in the presence of a fellow enthusiast. Within the week it was paid for and graciously delivered in a couple of days.

By the weekend I was desperate to take it out for a drive, so once I'd made a start with my essential upgrades to the interior bulbs and reverse lights to LED's, I gave it a good wash and polished the exhaust tips with some wire wool before putting some gel plates on and going out to see a couple of friends where I was showered with compliments on finding such a pristine example.

[​IMG]

I was keen to get the bluetooth working as Aaron had included the old connectivity tray, so once I'd ripped apart the boot to find the code, I got it working but it turns out it's only for call audio and I just wanted it for media, so the cup holder returns. Following this I removed the faded M3 badge on the back as well as the shark fin and plugged up the hole under the bootlid with a spare rubber grommet. I made sure to order plenty of clips as I knew I'd make use of them somewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I removed the inner rear lights and attempted a refurb to see if I could bring them back to their former glory since they were looking a bit tired. They came out better but I will need to redo them more thoughly to get an acceptable finish as they were pretty far gone. However I have ordered some Lamin-X 6% tint to spruce it up for now and see how I like it.

Then it was time for serious business, a full service commenced using Castrol Edge 10w-60, all Bosch filters with NGK R plugs, as well as my first look at the underside. What immediately struck my eye was how badly worn the rears were on the inside, so I ordered up some 255's in Pilot Sport 4 S to match the fronts. The underside was in decent shape, forgiving a small power steering leak and some corrosion around the subframe mounts, which I will be having reinforced in the near future.

From every time I had been in it, I knew the rear had to come up to stop the tyres rubbing under acceleration but once on the ramp it didn't pose any issues. With the wheels in the air I noticed that the handbrake was binding, and while investigating, found that the amount of hammering required to get the spacers off (in order to gain sufficient screwdriver wiggle room) ended up freeing them up anyway, so only a small adjustment was required.

I had always enjoyed the Harman Kardon in my 325, despite many claims that it was rubbish. Now living without it I can see a big difference. I toyed with the idea of new speakers, then settled on a new head unit as a good starting point for an audio upgrade but have never liked how aftermarket units looked. The only unit I would consider would be a Parrot Asteroid Smart but given the price and how dated they look nowadays, I decided to work on my own solution.

[​IMG]

I am still waiting on parts and have to trial fit it and make it look clean, but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

Soon I shall be fitting my retrimmed steering wheel from Royals and to get it out of the way I have booked in at my local main dealer for the airbag recall. While there I shall be purchasing a load of new parts.

In the following months I will slowly be ticking off gloss black grilles & vents and a CSL diffuser and complimentary full carbon fibre interior trim. The rear window seal has split so I will be rectifying this and upgrading to matching gloss black trims at the same time.

I will then move on to subframe reinforcement and working my way through Powerflex bushes and new ARB's, valve adjusting, sorting out the cooling system and any other preventative maintainence. I may even get myself an exhaust system to cap it all off. I am going around Wales in the middle of June with a couple of friends, one of whom is the photographer for the first couple of shots, so will have plenty of content then.

Thanks for reading

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    R60BBA, lambert, NIE46 and 3 others like this.
  2. 6 May 2019 at 8:23 PM #2
    lambert

lambert Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Hi bud hope your well!

You can never tire of seeing a silver grey m3, gets me every time!

Looking forward to more updates,

Lambert

3. 6 May 2019 at 10:59 PM #3
    James92

James92 On the path

Your Motor:
    2002 E46 M3
    Looks really nice, the more I see KW V2s the more I think I need a set! Haha

m3rosco likes this.
  4. 6 May 2019 at 11:15 PM #4
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Carless & witless
    Very nice sir :)

5. 19 May 2019 at 8:38 PM #5
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Thanks mate, everyone loves it, and I can't keep myself from turning back every time!

They ride so well, definitely recommended and adjustability is incredibly easy.

Little update, Royal steering wheel has been ordered and I have popped into my local Main Dealer to order a load of maintenance bits which I shall collect on Friday when I go in for the recall. I have fitted a black M3 badge and complimented it with some 6% tint on the red part of the rear lights. Still not too sure about it, may just end up getting rid of it all and leaving it plain at the back or putting on the regular chrome M3 badge. Only a quick pic and I'm ashamed to say it hasn't had a wash.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  6. 19 May 2019 at 9:05 PM #6
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    I have also got my android set up working. I ordered a Pioneer 100W headunit to get the best out of the speakers as well as the adaption loom for the steering wheel controls. The wiring needed extending but the head unit goes in the glovebox and I will still need to get it secure enough not to rattle (which it doesn't in normal driving) but have enough air space to breathe.

[​IMG]

I purchased a used dash cage off ebay to cut up, trimmed it back a bit to get the tablet deep enough in, then chopped up some wooden dowel, screwed it in place and wrapped the ends with fabric tape to keep the tablet in place.

[​IMG]

In place in the car, all the space where the headunit used to be helps to free up space for the 17 pin plug on the loom.

[​IMG]

Once in, I realised I had overlooked the fact that one of the dowels obscured the aux output, so I had to lose it, then layer up the fabric tape to raise the tablet to the correct level and keep it horizontal.

[​IMG]

Then I dremeled out a small slot from the inner lip so I could turn it on and off with a brass collar stay of all things. Looks perfect, but the "anti glare" screen protector does not prevent glare, and is an absolute fingerprint magnet so I'll be ditching it. However, here it is!

[​IMG]

Very impressed with the OEM look, especially for the price, all in all total cost was £245, for a unit with full Android which I can update regularly and vastly improved sound quality.

Headunit £120
    Adaption loom £30
    Tablet £58
    Fascia £28
    Dash cage £9
    Extra bits £N/A

Still need to get the heater control relocation panel, but for now that can wait until the important bits are out of the way. Also considering going back to matt black now for the fascia but will see how it goes.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Brettg40 likes this.
  7. 20 May 2019 at 11:53 PM #7
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Hey bud, hope your good.

I just wanted to complement the car as this thing sits absolutely stunning what tyre sizes and spacers are you using?

Many thanks
    Lambert

8. 21 May 2019 at 11:23 AM #8
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Thanks buddy spacers are 12mm and tyres are 235/35 R19 Front and 255/35 R19 rear

lambert likes this.
  9. 21 May 2019 at 11:59 AM #9
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Looks superb mate!

Lambert

10. 25 May 2019 at 9:54 PM #10
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Steering wheel and gaiters are HERE! Had to pop them on to see how they go with the new airbag. Next up for the interior will be carbon fibre trims and a new centre console as this one has seen much better days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently painting the wipers and the rear window poppers. Tomorrow will be replacing the headlight lenses and going back to clear side repeaters from BMW. Then next weekend will be a big one for maintenance.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  11. 9 Jun 2019 at 6:00 PM #11
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Got a load of maintenance out of the way ready for the Wales trip next weekend. Painted the wipers and the poppers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And fitted the new headlight lenses...

[​IMG]

Then got cracking with all the big jobs, a massive pain on my uneven driveway and cheap lifting kit but managed to get it done in the end. I replaced the leaking power steering hose, both of the engine mounts and the absolutely knackered aux belts and went for all new tensioners to really finish it off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally today I gave it a good thorough hoovering and a wash and wax. Don't mind the daily...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All ready to chew through a few tanks of fuel next weekend, hopefully the weather is nice.

joe smoe and lambert like this.
  12. 9 Jun 2019 at 6:12 PM #12
    R60BBA

R60BBA Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 E46 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Schwarz / Laguna Seca Blau
    Welcome to E46M ownership!

Looks like you’re already getting stuck in.

Quick question but is this aatothek’s previous motor?

13. 9 Jun 2019 at 6:26 PM #13
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Hi Benny,

Hope your well.

Absolutely loving this thread, some top work going on here. Have a great trip away.

Quick question I hope you don’t mind me asking, the shark fin? Was the original paint underneath any different? I wish to take mine off but haven’t incase of this reason.

Don’t fancy getting the whole roof painted if there’s a bright coloured patch of paint where the fin was compared to a sun uv faded roof?

Thanks so much in advance.

Lambert

14. 9 Jun 2019 at 6:47 PM #14
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Certainly is my friend, do you know it?

Thanks buddy, glad you like it. With regards to the sharkfin, well... on my Titanium Silver 325 when I removed the shark fin there was no sign of any colour difference, but on this there is a very slightly darker patch. Both cars were same age and mileage so I guess it comes down to either the colour of the paint or how harsh the sunlight is where the car was kept.

R60BBA and lambert like this.
  15. 9 Jun 2019 at 6:59 PM #15
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Thanks Benny,

Is the difference bad enough to worry about?

Take it not in you’re case)

I guess with the silver paint as it’s a neutral colour it doesn’t really fade.

Phoenix yellow does fade unfortunately so I might not me so lucky.

What did you use out of curiosity? Apply heat also?

All the best
    James

16. 9 Jun 2019 at 7:14 PM #16
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    It's bad enough for me to know it's there, but I wouldn't say it sticks out. You don't see it when it's dirty and when it's clean you have to catch the angle right. Up close though you can definitely see it. I didn't think about the paint fade until I had done it to be honest :(

Removing it was simple but took patience. A fair bit of masking tape on the roof around it, I cut the rubber seal away carefully with a razor so I could get underneath it, then rocking it while applying heat to stretch out the adhesive and cut that away as well. Glue remover to finish off and you'd never know it was there. Or maybe you would.

lambert likes this.
  17. 9 Jun 2019 at 7:19 PM #17
    R60BBA

R60BBA Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 E46 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Schwarz / Laguna Seca Blau
    Not personally but recognised it.

Always good to see an M pass from one Cutter to another. :thumbsup:

18. 9 Jun 2019 at 7:38 PM #18
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Thanks Benny, great detailed post.

All the best
    James

19. 9 Jun 2019 at 7:58 PM #19
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
  20. 9 Jun 2019 at 8:20 PM #20
    Nunga

Nunga Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3 manual
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Laser Anthrazit Stoff
    Normally i hate tinted rear lights (argh so redneck!) but I have to say I actually don’t mind what you did against the SG; maybe the problem is when tinting the clear lenses, because just tinting the red does look good.

Tough job changing the engine mounts on a driveway? Did you stick with standard or go with something stiffer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)