Wing mirrors have a mind of their own...

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by Jamesbent, Aug 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 2 Aug 2020 at 7:56 PM #1
    Jamesbent

Jamesbent A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    2008 BMW M3
    Has anyone come across this before and been able to fix this odd issue? Essentially the wing mirrors have a mind of their own, will be driving along in any weather and they will open/close as they like at the same time (Sometimes it will do it loads and other time’s only a couple, there’s no pattern). Rarely does the button to open/close them work. I have a bit of a workaround which is pressing the lock/unlock button which seems to trigger them to open again if they stay closed driving along. However it’s doing my head in, have check the wiring and connections to the switch, cleaned thoroughly in both wingmirror housing (it was bit wet and dirty).

It’s bugging me as to what this is, especially if they get stuck closed driving along, can be a real pain. The switch to adjust angle of mirrors is working fine. It could be some wiring or electrical issue? My mechanic mate reckons to try a complete new switch to see if it’s that first then if not check and test all the electrics for the wing mirrors and get behind the door card.

I did change the battery a while ago for a slightly higher capacity but coded it in with Carly. I wouldn’t of thought it had anything to do with this although it’s strange that clicking the lock/unlock button makes the mirrors open up.

Thanks in advance for any advice or fix on this very sporadic issue!

2. 4 Aug 2020 at 12:38 AM #2
    E92M

E92M On the path

What're you driving?:
    M3
    Hey man,

I would guess that there is some water ingress somewhere that has got to the wiring.

maybe find the fuse for the electric motor in the mirrors and pull it - that will stop the problem in the interim.

check around the seals where the mirror joins the door (that black triangular type shape bit) see if there’s anything obvious.

3. 4 Aug 2020 at 5:46 PM #3
    Jamesbent

Jamesbent A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    2008 BMW M3
    Have already tried cleaning out behind the mirrors and the mirror housing with an air hose and it’s still occurring.

I did take the fuse for mirrors out but it stops the adjustment of the mirrors (angling of them) also so not really an option.

Am I the only one to have come across this problem? It’s so annoying and as sometimes it will occur loads and other times not at all, so inconsistent!

4. 4 Aug 2020 at 6:03 PM #4
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Staff Member Moderator

What're you driving?:
    Carless & witless
    Does the switch for the central locking always work?
    Older cars had a GM5 module which controls all body electrics which gave all sorts of odd electrical issues when it became faulty. I don't know what it's called in later cars but presumably there is still such a module.

Edit
    Apparently it's now called a BCM or body control module.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  5. 4 Aug 2020 at 7:13 PM #5
    Jamesbent

Jamesbent A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    2008 BMW M3
    Yes the switch always works for central locking manually as well as automatically (I think it’s set to engage after 10 seconds of driving or whatever it is)

Pressing the central locking does 99% work as a workaround on getting the mirrors to fold back out when they have decided to fold in driving along.... Don’t know how but just glad I have this as before I’ve manually pushed them out then they’ve over opened which makes a god awful sound and probably damaging them even more.

I’ll run a Carly scan tonight or tomorrow and in hope it may help to pinpoint or pickup something related to this as doing my head in.

GolfDuck likes this.
  6. 4 Aug 2020 at 7:38 PM #6
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Staff Member Moderator

What're you driving?:
    Carless & witless
    Maybe the wires have chaffed where they go through.
    Good luck with your search :)

7. 5 Aug 2020 at 2:25 PM #7
    gman2018

gman2018 On the path

What're you driving?:
    2007 E92 M3
    Take the mirror glass out. Remove the tabbed connection and clean with contact spray. Put back together. No more problems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)