Which petrol?!

Discussion in 'Engine maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by vestax32, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 18 Jan 2010 at 9:12 PM #81
    chattan

chattan Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 LE500, M3 Evo Track & RS4
    Nice one Thorney, thanks for that.

2. 18 Jan 2010 at 9:23 PM #82
    css

css Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    And where in my message have I said it is not a good thing to dispute it or challenge?? For your convenience I have pasted the message below so you can highlight to me where it is mentioned that we should not discuss??

Am glad that has been cleared once and for all. Thanks Thorney for that. . I am just waiting for someone to come in with the ..... but........ as inevitably there always will be someone who will want to dispute the evidence.

3. 18 Jan 2010 at 9:56 PM #83
    tarkers11

tarkers11 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    53 E46 M3 SMG Silver Grey
    I was desperate for fuel a few weeks ago and put in Morrisons unleaded. It ran like an absolute bag of spanners, thank god I only put a tenner in to get home. V Power all the way for me :D

4. 18 Jan 2010 at 10:10 PM #84
    edi999

edi999 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2015 Porsche GT4
    Colour Combo:
    Sapphire Blue
    Mabye your the point of your post was lost in translation. It came across as if you were just waiting to roll your eyes at the first person to show up with an alternative opinion. I apologise, it seems that was not the case. Also, you can make your point without the patronising tone.

1 person likes this.
  5. 18 Jan 2010 at 11:23 PM #85
    css

css Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3

I cannot see how the 'tone' of my message can be determined on a text, e mail or message on a forum such as this... If I wanted to be patronising I would make sure it was obvious in my message... I also do not think a response such as yours was warranted even if I was genuinely trying to be patronising.

6. 19 Jan 2010 at 9:22 AM #86
    edi999

Your Motor:
    2015 Porsche GT4
    Colour Combo:
    Sapphire Blue
    My post on North Korea was made in jest and was made as a result of your previous posts in this thread which I interpreted as you, trying to close down the debate. I apologised for my misinterpretation in my previous post although do so again.

As you say, it is difficult to determine the tone of a post on a forum however this is something everyone does when reading written text. Clearly I got it wrong.

That said, our ramblings are not doing anything to improve this thread and are dragging it off topic. I suggest we just leave it at that.

7. 19 Jan 2010 at 3:55 PM #87
    Thorney

Thorney On the path

Your Motor:
    E92 M3, CSL Cup race car
    In the Auto Express test Morrrisons did pretty well, mind you we made the point that all the 95 octane fuels were crap compared to the higher octane so its like comparing pimples ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. 20 Jan 2010 at 11:44 PM #88
    mattbmw62

mattbmw62

Great post, very interesting. Thanks Thorney.

mattbmw62, Jan 20, 2010
  9. 18 Feb 2010 at 10:59 AM #89
    theorytest

theorytest A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    BMW
    I hav'nt tried yet, but thanks for this lovely post. I think you have a great knowledge of engines

10. 19 Feb 2010 at 9:28 PM #90
    ryandoc

ryandoc Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2009 E92 M3 Edition
    :thumbsup: I see this subject comming up plenty and the varied responses. I'm not automotive engineer however I have had some form of first hand experience with these fuels.

With regards to supermarket and main brand fuels, they all come from the same place, trust me lol! think about it, how many Asda and Tesco owned refineries to do you know of ;) . When Mr tesco pulls up to load his tanker for 'normal' unleaded and then mr shell pulls up at the exact same pump, they both swipe their cards and their load is automatically delivered into their compartments. The ONLY difference is the additive which is added at the point of loading into his compartment. All supermarket and third party fuels get the exact same additives, mr shell gets shell's own. Fuel quality is controlled tightly to meet BS standards.

As for 'super fuels' naturally they get a higher ron rating, however for me the reason I use them most is for their cleaning properties. Again I have no proof of this apart from the independant tests and oil companies own data. Engines work to such tight tolerances and we all know how much general cr*p and soot is produced, just take a look in your exhaust.

I'm sure there are 'power' benefits if you like with higher octane fuels, whether or not a human being could ever detect them who knows, but i'm sure test equipment can. Don't get me wrong I feel happeir with the good stuff, do I notice anything, sometimes I try to and think possibly, placebo, perhaps?

With regards to peoples cars running cr*p on non main stream branded stuff i'm dubious, however im not in the slightest trying to call anyone a liar. However I've ran M3's for nearly 4 years now on prob 80-90% the good stuff and when forced to put normal stuff in ive never noticed a thing. When I picked up my new E92 M3 the salesman drove me to the nearest garage (non shell or bp etc) and fileld her up, her very first ever tank of fuel, ran like a dream!! Plus if it was the case that a car without doubt needs super unleaded to run think of the bad publicity that would give, so you couldnt physically drive your car anywhere out of reach of a shell or BP garage!! I'm sure even a fezza woudl run 'fine' on normal stuff and I bet there's plenty that do! my one thought is switching after long term use may produce effects but they can't be sustained.

I spent a year on a certain refinery in cheshire specifically on the road loading terminal and saw any amount of differently branded lorries turning up, I also maintained the meterng systems for both fuel and additives. Thats where I base my feelings and knowledge on.

Just my 2p worth not trying to cause arguments. Me...I use the good stuff where I can and optimax at that!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  11. 23 Feb 2010 at 8:39 AM #91
    siko

siko Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Golf VR6 and E46 M3
    Shell optimax all the way. Just filled the car up with it and it drives much better I've got a smile on my face :)

12. 23 Feb 2010 at 11:27 AM #92
    edi999

Your Motor:
    2015 Porsche GT4
    Colour Combo:
    Sapphire Blue
    For the first time? If so, the only difference you will be feeling is a lighter wallet;)

Takes the ECU a few fills to adjust

13. 23 Feb 2010 at 6:55 PM #93
    tbellamy85

tbellamy85 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 E92 DCT Competition Pack
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral White
    When I use to work for Perry's Vauxhall alot of the cars were filled up with Morrisons Unleaded, alot of the mehcanics said that the fuel tanks always had water in when the car used Morrisons petrol.

Not sure if its true, but I would never touch Morrisons fuel in my M. V power is the only thing that enters the tank, better to be safe. It only costs a few more quid anyway to use it compared to 95.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)