Which one, e92 or e46 m3?

Discussion in 'Welcome & New Owners Section' started by Jordan, Nov 25, 2019.

1. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:15 PM #1
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    Hi, im new here. My names Jordan, And i have been looking at the cars for sale section for a good few months now.
    I simply cannot decide on either an e46 or e92 m3.
    Ive looked at a few and love both. Im coming from an e46 330ci.
    I know id be insanely happy with either one but some input on expenses, reliability, fun factor etc would be great. I do not plan on driving it daily, just for weekends and nicer days.
    Thanks in advance

2. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:27 PM #2
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    Carless & witless
    Welcome to the forum :)
    There is much love for both versions I think.
    The E9x is more modern and usually has better spec.
    They can both have problems though the E46 more so perhaps.
    Many people have had both versions and keep going back to them time and again :)
    They're both really quite good in their ways.
    You need to decide what it is you want :)
    You need to research the faults of both and when looking at cars see which remedies have been applied, if any.

Jordan likes this.
  3. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:30 PM #3
    Donk1

Donk1 On the path

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3 Manual Silverstone 2
    Have you driven both ? Another thing is whats your budget as e46 M3 and e92 M3 are fairly different in price

Jordan likes this.
  4. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:35 PM #4
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    Thank you, ive done me fair share of resesrch, im just scared if i get an e46 m3 id be wanting a v8, but then if i get an e92 id be wanting a taste of the inline 6. Struggles are real.

Keith and GolfDuck like this.
  5. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:37 PM #5
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    I havent driven either to be honest, the problem is im no where near any for sale. Im deep down in cornwall, all the good examples of these cars seem to be 5+ hours away.
    My budget is 15k really. But i expect to have to put more into an e46 to get it to where i want it (subframe reinforcment, vanos, possibly rod bearings) although in only looking at 2003.5.
    Cheers

Donk1 likes this.
  6. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:42 PM #6
    Keith

Keith Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Competition Pack
    The age old chestnut. Only rivalled by manual VS SMG!

You've looked at a few, but have you driven them both? That might make the decision easier.

Also to consider, is if you were to by and E46, would you want Manual or SMG? Same with the E9X - would you want manual or DCT?

The E92 is probably more costly to run on the normal things alone (fuel, insurance, tyres etc), BUT, now the E46 M3s are getting old, they are likely to cost more in repairs and maintenance, as they need more age-related remedial work these days, and definitely rust more (E92s don't really rust: the wings, skirts and bumper are plastic and the rear arches are very well protected). So all of that is another consideration.

Do you want a low mileage example of either or is high miles not a worry? A tidy, low mileage (Under 80k) E46 may cost you £12-15k, but a low mileage E9X (under 40k) may cost you well north of £20k.

So what's you budget?
    What will you use it for?
    What do you look for in a car (low miles, high spec, interesting colour etc)?

Best of luck with the search. After owning them both I would say either is an excellent choice.

Jordan likes this.
  7. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:46 PM #7
    Keith

Your Motor:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Just seen your replies.

I think you need more than £15 for a nice E92. £15k will get you a leggy one, in an ordinary colour, average condition and spec. If you could get to £20k the world is your oyster :thumbsup:

However £15k will get you a very nice E46, but I wouldn't want to daily one these days, over all seasons, salty roads etc due to wing, arches and sill rust etc.

Jordan likes this.
  8. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:47 PM #8
    Smuler

Smuler Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Black and red
    I was in similar position in early 2016. So I drove several, which you must do.
    I went for the E46 M3 (backed up by a daily) because the priority was having a fun car and I found the older car the more analogue, more communicative, and so it had the edge on B roads.

But it was a close call and I smiled
    more after my best E92 drive. Because of the V8

I've not had any big mechanical problems on my E46 M3 (58-80k miles) but there's been a fair share of age related niggles, such as diff seals, cracked springs, injectors, numerous sensors, which means you need a fund or a warranty to manage.

If you could get a sorted E92 M3 , by that I mean rod bearings and actuators done for £15k I would expect less of these kind of issues on a newer car.

You don't say if
    you want manual or auto., but if it's the latter : DCT (not really an auto, but you know what I mean) is awesome. I never had that feeling for a SMG.

Jordan likes this.
  9. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:48 PM #9
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    I havent driven either tbh as theyre all so far away from me. Budget is 15000, definately wouldnt be interested in an smg, on the e92 i think id rather have the manual. But then i cant imagine what blasting through a dct gearbox is like. Either cars under 100k is fine with me as long as theyre well maintained with fsh.
    Id be using it for dry days/weekends, as well as short trips up country or to europe.
    Honestly? High spec isnt something im worried about. Also colour wise. Id either have the carbon blsck or silver grey e46. And either the black or silverstone blue e92.
    What was your fav for smiles per mile?

10. 25 Nov 2019 at 3:54 PM #10
    Donk1

Donk1 On the path

Your Motor:
  11. 25 Nov 2019 at 4:05 PM #11
    Keith

Your Motor:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Smiles per miles is tricky for me to answer, as I owned my E46 for 3 years, modded it with BBK, genuine CSLs wheels and Bilstein coilovers... And had a great journey, reaching my natural conclusion with it. As in, I was ready to move on, and leave it behind. Very fond memories, excellent car, but I was ready for the next chapter. I've had 5 E9X M3s in the 5 years since (various coupes, a saloon, manual and DCT) and I am still smitten with them. That V8 resonates with me a lot, and being a massive naturally aspirated fanboy I'm very aware they dont make cars like this anymore so I'm drinking it in whilst I still can. The E9X platform has everything I need too - noise, drama, more than enough real-world pace, switchable suspension modes, great stereo, good operating system etc - so the E9X M3 just fits me personally really well. That's why I'm still in love with my V8 and have zero interest in moving on to a turbo M car, despite being able to own an M2 or F80 outright no problem.

I can speak with the luxury of ownership experience of both though, for someone like yourself I can appreciate the choice is hard without! I am 100% confident you'll love either though. So maybe you go and see a few of each and chose the one that best fits your budget, is in excellent condition and 'feels' right.

12. 25 Nov 2019 at 4:09 PM #12
    Keith

Your Motor:
    S65B40
    Colour Combo:
    Jordan and Donk1 like this.
  13. 25 Nov 2019 at 4:16 PM #13
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    I appreciate all the great information. Youve put it very well. I will have to simply go and find so.e gems and see what i come out with.
    Cheers Keith

MandyM3, Keith and Donk1 like this.
  14. 25 Nov 2019 at 4:17 PM #14
    Donk1

Donk1 On the path

Your Motor:
    I originally put it up for 16k in September and had someone ready come view within the first week and I pulled out as I decided to keep it. Same person has just text me asking if I'm still selling it :bh:

Keith and Jordan like this.
  15. 25 Nov 2019 at 4:41 PM #15
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    Thank you, this helps alot. And true i do need to drive a few of each. Did you find yourself wanting more power in the e46 after driving the e92?

16. 25 Nov 2019 at 5:01 PM #16
    Smuler

Smuler Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Black and red
    No. The V8 as it builds up speed is fantastic to hear.
    But my fun is on twisty B roads where in the main you can't always get to the very high speeds , so the E46 has plenty of power, still sounds great, is still an event to rev out and it's rawer edgier feel, with nimbler handling is just more suited to those B road situations.

My impressions from my best 2 test drives, Bear in mind I came from an E92 335i but did own an ordinary E46 before that ; Note:- the E46 M3 will feel very different from your 330ci, in my opinion so different they're not related. It is much more special.

(1) I saw the E46 M3 in the dealer car park next to a hideous X6 and 5 Series GT if I recall correctly. It looked small and stunning, carbon black, my fave color.
    When I got in, the heavy door the driver focused driving position all reminded me of my old 325ci . I must admit I didn't enjoy the drive around town , it felt less comfortable, more dated than my 335i and like it wasn't comfortable in itself, it was edgy , angry for being driven slow. It's not an ideal daily. Believe me, I've tried for 10k miles :D But when we got to the b roads, it as amazing, I overtook six car, scared the sales guy , as it just hugged the bend and built power, the lovely raspy sound of the exhaust I love. The shifter was stiff, it wasn't super comfortable and when I got back into my E92 335i, a DCT, which was about as fast, but more comfortable, better tech, easier to drive in ordinary situations, it did cross my mind: was it the right move.

(2) The E92 M3 was white, not my fave color but with some black bits looked really good. Was Alpine white and with hindsight I think that's better than mineral. Got in and driving around and out the dealer car park it felt languid, relaxed, not dissimilar to a 320d except for the superb seats, the fact it kind of wraps around you (so feels smaller) and the view of the awesome bonnet bulge. Once opened up on the b-road, it was like I'd kicked a lion in the ass, it really came alive and the V8 sounds amazing as it builds power. I did smile all the way home, more than the E46 M3. But as said, whilst it would win hands down as a daily (I mean a one car does it all) and I reckon on track too - because of the power - well, I got more of a buzz on the B roads with the E46. And so it won.

Jordan likes this.
  17. 25 Nov 2019 at 5:33 PM #17
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    God damn. This just makes me want both ;)
    I need to experience them for sure.

MandyM3, hakhan22 and Smuler like this.
  18. 25 Nov 2019 at 5:37 PM #18
    Rob E92 M3

Rob E92 M3 On the path

Your Motor:
    Nothing
    V8...end of story :thumbsup:

oh and welcome along :D

makavelli and Jordan like this.
  19. 25 Nov 2019 at 7:05 PM #19
    Retromlc

Retromlc Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 APLINE edt E92
    Colour Combo:
    White with a few carbon accents , interior black/white trimmed
    I spent a year over this question,love the E46,a manual.had an E92 325I so was a bit on the fence as it looks the same-I thought. Until I went and saw an E92 in the flesh,a much better body on it.
    If I had a double garage and still liked to spend as much time tinkering as i used to I could well have been an E46, but I don't,so I went for a test in an E92,1st a manual,loved it,then a DCT loved it,and B'jesus that V8 in the sweet RPM range sold it to me.I get 24.5 mpg,insurance £315 this year,but the £570 road tax hurts for sure,but the South East traffic kills the pleasure totally.I did 4000 miles this year of which probably 100 miles were worth it,100 meters here,400 meters there and so on,it's a shite area to have a car like this,so now it sits in my Dads garage while I decide what to do. shame really as i really love it but sitting in traffic every single time has made me stop driving it.

Jordan likes this.
  20. 4 Dec 2019 at 11:03 PM #20
    Jordan

Jordan A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2003 330ci
    Hi again guys,
    I drove a manual and an smg e46 the other day.
    And honestly i really enjoyed the smg gearbox.
    I have found an 04 in silver grey with cinnamon interior, 81k, resr subframe has been reinforced, headgasket has been done, fsh. Was up for 15k, but ive got him down to 13.5k
    Going to have a decent look next week.
    Does this seem like a decent deal to you guys?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)