Which coilovers?

jbaddeley

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1994 BMW M3
Colour Combo
Red
ive run hsd for the last 7/8 years on my e36 m3 and despite some of the bad press have been impressed with them. It's time for an upgrade though and my pal swears by KW Clubsport on his e92. Car is used for fast road and occasional trackday. What are you guys using these days?

MParallel

Standard amice donned
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1998 M3 SMG cabrio
Colour Combo
Alpinweiss 3 auf Schwarz - 1 of 12
I'm on a set of PSS9's since 2009 and they are still doing just fine. So we'll pleased. No experience with other sets.

Bought them back then specially for better handling on the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

LaurenceT

Wearing official robes
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1996 E36 M3 Evo
I have a set of gaz golds on my m3 evo. Remote resovoir on the front and a true coilover rear. Best suspension I have owned to date. The quality of the ride and handling is very impressive. Had them service recently too and it was not extortionate at all. Although the postie managed to loose one but that was not gaz's fault.

Ollie

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E36 M3 Racer, 997 GT3 Clubsport, 996 GT3 Cup Car
Intrax 1K2

Best I have experienced and I've had Bilstein, KW, Nitron etc

MParallel

Standard amice donned
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1998 M3 SMG cabrio
Colour Combo
Instrax is a different level than Bilstein, KW etc. Like Merc/BMW vs Bentley/RR.

I believe you right away it's superior.

I think for a 'fun sporty road' setup, KW V2/3 or Bilstein B12/B16 are a good money vs quality trade-off.

Autonaut

On the path
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M3 Evo
Cant speak for intrax struts but i used their springs on my e39 m5.. very very good handling combined with bilstein b8

Iain

Staff member
Reaction score
What're you driving?
AMG estate
Depends on what you need or want to spend.

between ollie and i we have used loads of different ones, and both e36's are currently running intrax, 4 ways on mine and i think 2 ways on the other car. The z4 is on KW competition 2 ways and they are exceptionally good as well.

In terms of what do you get. 4 ways give you the option to really manage the damping and tune it just so, for mine as its still road legal that means i can run high speed bump/rebump qite low and and low speed quite high which means you can drive over a pebble and it not feel like a landmine and yet still get a lot of body control in the corner, thats running an 18.5kgmm front spring.

2 ways will give you bump/rebump so you can get it nicely settled, but you cant tune the high speed low speed reaction so you wil get a general damper reaction based on that setting. 1 ways will just give you a blended curve for the lot.

you need to decide if you want an inboard spring or a coilover rear also

Ollie used nitron on a few of his cars including the britcar entry which won its class. They are also good dampers but not as refined in some respects, that said you can get someone on the phone who makes actual sense and they are good to deal with and very reasonable to rebuild and repair unlike intrax. KW also have excellent support but are more costly for parts than nitron but less than intrax.

MParallel

Standard amice donned
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1998 M3 SMG cabrio
Colour Combo
So what’s the consensus on rear true coilovers? Can that single supported side on the control arm bear the weight of the car?

Ollie

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
So what’s the consensus on rear true coilovers? Can that single supported side on the control arm bear the weight of the car?

In my experience yes, I have done tens of thousands of track miles in E36's (both caged to the rear turrets & uncaged) with full rear coilovers with no issues. Some of the cars have been really rough too, so not in the best order structurally :muttley: I'm sure someone has had a problem, but I haven't in the 8 or so years I've been messing around.

MParallel

Standard amice donned
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1998 M3 SMG cabrio
Colour Combo
Ínteresting. As in why BMW chose this setup.

Ollie

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Cost I suppose? I assume a spring and a generic damper unit with a slightly different damping rate is less expensive than a fully adjustable coilover.

jbaddeley

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1994 BMW M3
Colour Combo
Red
Tanks for the input folks. Pockets aren't deep enough for intrax and i think a 2 way kw setup is going to be the way Ill go.

MParallel

Standard amice donned
Reaction score
What're you driving?
1998 M3 SMG cabrio
Colour Combo
Cost I suppose? I assume a spring and a generic damper unit with a slightly different damping rate is less expensive than a fully adjustable coilover.

I meant a basic non-adjustable one, like the front setup.

Iain

Staff member
Reaction score
What're you driving?
AMG estate
I meant a basic non-adjustable one, like the front setup.

There are lots of reasons, the potential to fail is higher and the packaging is more complex as the wheel is better accommodated in the arch with an in-board spring.

The advantage of a "true" coilover on the rear is that you can run standard diameter linear springs in whatever rate you choose with easier height adjustment, arguably you also get close the the spring rate at the wheel as the motion ratio is closer with the spring further out. its not something an OEM is going to be all that interested in.

Users who are viewing this thread