Which brake upgrade would you choose?

Discussion in 'General maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by zeemaxkid, Apr 27, 2018.

1. 27 Apr 2018 at 9:35 PM #1
    zeemaxkid

zeemaxkid Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    m3 s54 vert
    Colour Combo:
    Mat grey , carbon black and buckets of carbon
    Hi I’d like people’s input. I’m purchasing a set of front brakes for my m3 e46. I’ve been looking at these brembo 6 pot kits doing the rounds which I’ve seen for sale on here in the group buy section. I believe they come with csl discs etc. I’ve found a set of AP 6 pots on Godspeed with 355mm discs and alloy bells. I’m not sure which set to buy. Has anyone used or had a set of either and if so is there any pro’s or con’s to consider with either. Any help would be much appreciated. I wasted £1300 last year on a set of high spec monster brakes which were complete crap and I had to ditch them due to brake fade. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

2. 27 Apr 2018 at 9:47 PM #2
    mrbean

mrbean Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Carbon Black BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Red
    Go godspeed ap's

3. 27 Apr 2018 at 9:50 PM #3
    zeemaxkid

Your Motor:
    m3 s54 vert
    Colour Combo:
    :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input.

4. 27 Apr 2018 at 10:17 PM #4
    TrojanHP

TrojanHP Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Depends what you want from them. I've got the BMWP 6 pots with RS29's on my M3, which are perfect for my daily driver, but I chose them more so from a reliability standpoint as they were designed for road cars and have good piston seals (provided you don't melt them!) If they were for track use then they are less suited as the seals suffer and pistons can crack, but for fast B road stuff they've been pretty good, plus I get rotors quickly and cheaply from any main dealer if needed. I've had K sports which were ok, and I've got AP's on my E39 but they have no dust seals and have suffered sticky pistons and corrosion forming behind the pad guide plates so they take a bit more looking after, plus rotors are more expensive.

In essence they're both great set ups though which I would definitely buy again, but it depends on what you want a kit to give you.

5. 16 May 2018 at 10:49 AM #5
    Adamantium

Adamantium Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Audi Q5 3.0TDi, Audi A5 3.0TDi Cab
    Just to confirm, an AP kit can have dust seals and even if used gently can be perfectly acceptable for road use without requiring any more care than other brakes. They may well be overkill however.

6. 17 May 2018 at 7:37 AM #6
    sydown

sydown Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Track Car
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    I had the BMWP Brembo 6 pots with CSL discs on a CSL and they were a massive improvement over the standard set up. These were paired with hel braided lines, motul rbf600 fluid and RS29 pads. I have not tried the godspeed set up but the AP 356x32 kit is a step up from from the BMWP kit but not as big a step as I expected. Neither gave any fade on track.
    Were you using a high spec brake fluid and track biased pads when you were getting brake fade or was it on standard fluid with average / road pads?

7. 17 May 2018 at 8:27 AM #7
    zeemaxkid

Your Motor:
    m3 s54 vert
    Colour Combo:
    The pads were supplied with the calipers and also the brake fluid was supplied with the kit. I didn’t bother changing the fluid because I’d recently had a service and it had been fully changed by the garage. The brake lines were braided and also supplied which were not any make I’d herd of before. I’m still not sure which kit to go for. I’m worried about wasting more money.

8. 17 May 2018 at 10:13 AM #8
    DiM3ch

DiM3ch Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    CB/Kiwi
    I’d go K sport, the new forged generation calipers are a major step up in quality

9. 17 May 2018 at 12:36 PM #9
    Hopz121

Hopz121 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey with Grey leather
    Go for the Reyland or Godspeed AP set up.

10. 17 May 2018 at 1:38 PM #10
    sydown

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Track Car
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Have you sold the hi spec calipers? If not I would give them another chance with good fluid and good pads. Brake fade is usually caused by overheating the components whether that be fiction fade as the pads aren't designed to handle the temperatures or fluid fade as the brake fluid ends up boiling which introduces air into the system. I can't imagine the fluid and pads supplied with the kit would be up to the job!
    Better calipers and discs will make a difference but pads and fluid are the most important imho.
    Before I used the BMWP brembo caliper I used standard discs and calipers with rs29 pads, hel lines and motul brake fluid and had no issues even on track in the height of summer.

11. 17 May 2018 at 1:48 PM #11
    sydown

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Track Car
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    After many different variations of brakes I have ended up with the ap CP9660 caliper but these are massive overkill for fast road use!

[​IMG]IMG_1230 by sy down, on Flickr

12. 27 May 2018 at 4:26 PM #12
    PSimmo

PSimmo On the path

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 Coupe
    I've recently gone the route the AP Pro5000R (9660) with BTCC 368x36mm rotors which has proved to be fairly cost effective when comparing to a kit from Reyland or similar using older design calipers... but is very ott for a road car imo.

If mine didn't see any track use I'd be looking at the M135 mperformance calipers with 345mm CSL discs...

13. 27 May 2018 at 4:27 PM #13
    cossie1

cossie1 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Jet Black / Black
    I have a set of K-sports (forged monoblock calipers) for sale, with almost new discs and RS29 pads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)