When will the mirror leak and how exactly?

Discussion in 'MirrorJohn' started by Gaz1234, Aug 13, 2019.

1. 13 Aug 2019 at 9:26 PM #1
    Gaz1234

Gaz1234 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    53k, manual, 54’ plate e46 M3 & f11 525d-aily
    Colour Combo:
    silver / black
    Hi
    As above, as I’ve come across this over the years. I’m assuming like the subframe it’s only a matter of time?
    If so what sort of damage are we looking at?
    How much to fix?
    Are the replacement ones oem?
    How do they come off? Slide?

Cheers

2. 13 Aug 2019 at 10:32 PM #2
    alexlex85

alexlex85 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 coupe manual. M3 EVO S54 coupe manual. E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black, Imola red. Atlantis Blue,Black extended leather.Alpine White, fox extended leather
  3. 13 Aug 2019 at 10:32 PM #3
    alexlex85

alexlex85 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 coupe manual. M3 EVO S54 coupe manual. E92 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black, Imola red. Atlantis Blue,Black extended leather.Alpine White, fox extended leather
  4. 14 Aug 2019 at 10:21 AM #4
    MirrorJohn

MirrorJohn Sponsor

Your Motor:
    BMW 2005 Estoril E46 M3 Coupe, Audi B7 RS4 Avant, Honda S2000 GT, Honda CBR600RR
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril / Schwartz
    Hi Gaz.

There are a lot of questions here! Let me try and work through them one at a time. There is a lot of info already for you in my forum sponsor section here: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/forums/mirrorjohn.89/
    and also on my website here: MirrorJohn.com

The failing auto-dim rearview mirror problem is an issue like the RACP issue; all E46 M3 rearview mirrors will fail sooner or later. It's a case of WHEN not IF! There is a manufacturing defect with them that causes them all to fail. Some are very obvious that they have failed. The glass goes yellow or black, have tide lines or bubbles behind the glass. Others are less obvious they have failed. Faint marks, bubbles or lines may be just about be visible. Some even look completely normal with no obvious signs but have failed and don't dim. Some examples of failed mirrors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's always best to test the dimming function of your mirror if you are unsure. It is very easy to do. My testing procedure can be seen here:

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/how-to-test-your-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror.107562/

However, even if it is currently dimming, the mirror can fail suddenly and without warning. If your mirror leaks, the auto-dim fluid contained inside is highly corrosive. It will eat away at the plastic of the mirror casing and anything else the fluid drips on to. It has ruined peoples gear surrounds, centre console, gear knobs and even dashboards!

A lot of owners change the glass as preventative maintenance before it has failed. This can save a lot of money by leaving it. The bills can build up if leaking fluid ruins the rearview mirror and trim items it drips on to!

Also have a good read of this for information:

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/why-auto-dim-rear-view-mirrors-fail-in-our-cars.107489/

I have a very easy step by step DIY guide on my website that you can follow to repair your mirror yourself. If you do this, the Cutters discounted price for my new improved auto-dim glass is only £95 delivered. My glass is not OEM, it is far BETTER than OEM! Even if you buy (at great expense) a brand new complete oval auto-dim rearview mirror from BMW, it still uses the same flawed auto-dim glass. My auto-dim glass I supply is made by a different manufacturer in the USA using the latest auto-dim technology. It uses an auto-dim gel rather than a dimming fluid. It dims quicker than OE and goes darker (when required). More importantly it wont fail and leak like the original glass does. I guarantee all my glass for three years, but have never had one unit fail. Take a look at my DIY repair guide here:

https://www.mirrorjohn.com/How_To_Fix.php

If you dont feel comfortable repairing your mirror yourself, you can drive to me and I will repair it for you while you wait. Total cost for this service is £120. If you don't want to do this / are too far away from Southampton, then there is the option to post me your mirror for me to repair for you (same price as above). However, bear in mind there is the additional risk that the mirror could leak out on the way to me in transit. I have receive some mirrors that have been ruined on the way to me. Have a look at some of these horror pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if you have any questions. I have plenty of glass in stock.

5. 18 Aug 2019 at 8:26 PM #5
    Gaz1234

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    silver / black
    So I took the m out earlier and tested the dimming when I got back and I couldn’t see it dim.
    I guess I could try it in the evening (I only use it during the day).
    I wonder if it’s faulty already.

6. 18 Aug 2019 at 8:47 PM #6
    MirrorJohn

MirrorJohn Sponsor

Your Motor:
    BMW 2005 Estoril E46 M3 Coupe, Audi B7 RS4 Avant, Honda S2000 GT, Honda CBR600RR
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril / Schwartz
    If the test doesn’t work in daytime then the mirror is definitely faulty.

Does it have a yellow tint to it?

You could also check for any damage to the plastic underneath at the seam by the alarm led cover

7. 18 Aug 2019 at 9:02 PM #7
    Gaz1234

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    silver / black
    Hi john
    No tint that I can see.
    No damage either.
    Will check it again next time I take it out.
    Think I should still get it done if they defo fail...

8. 19 Aug 2019 at 9:35 AM #8
    MirrorJohn

MirrorJohn Sponsor

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril / Schwartz
    If it is not dimming then the glass has failed. It could have possibly leaked internally and the mirror body has caught the fluid or it could yet be to leak.

Test it again to be sure, but if it doesn't dim then it is worth changing the glass over

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)