terrymcg

Rocking a new hat
Dec 7, 2008
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2016 M4
Colour Combo
Silverstone II / Silverstone
Was going to coat my wheels before winter but just looking to see what all you guys are using? I was thinking Gtechniq C5 - anyone found anything better?

R60BBA

Flexing a golden cincture
Jun 25, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 E46 M3 Coupe / 2004 Mini Cooper S
Colour Combo
Carbon Schwarz / Dark Silver
Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels

M3MSR

Wearing official robes
Oct 21, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW E92 M3
Colour Combo
Siverstone/Black
I’ve used the Gyeon Q2 rims and GTehnic and have to say GTechnic wins hands down for me.

Didn’t find the Gyeon product had very good durability.

terrymcg

Rocking a new hat
Dec 7, 2008
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2016 M4
Colour Combo
I’ve used the Gyeon Q2 rims and GTehnic and have to say GTechnic wins hands down for me.

Didn’t find the Gyeon product had very good durability.

Thanks for this, I was actually deliberating between the 2. So its good info!

greenson

Wearing official robes
Apr 10, 2010
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2004 E46 M3
Colour Combo
Silver Grey / Black
Gtechnic here, very happy with it

terrymcg

Rocking a new hat
Dec 7, 2008
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2016 M4
Colour Combo

greenson

Wearing official robes
Apr 10, 2010
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2004 E46 M3
Colour Combo
Silver Grey / Black
Does it really make wheel cleaning as effortless as the you tube vids??

I'd say pretty much so. For the money and the relatively minimal effort, the coating really is worth it.

dakhu1

Rocking a new hat
May 12, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW
Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels

Hi guys - is this suitable for self application or is it for a professional to do? Am thinking of applying this to my newly refurbed CSLs and also on my ACS Racing 3 splits that are being refurbed (polished lips/powdered centres)

bmlfc88

Standard amice donned
Jul 24, 2019
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Imola Red
Hi guys - is this suitable for self application or is it for a professional to do? Am thinking of applying this to my newly refurbed CSLs and also on my ACS Racing 3 splits that are being refurbed (polished lips/powdered centres)

Self application, piece of piss.

Just make sure You don’t cut any corners on the prep.

If they are newly refurbished just a thorough clean and wipe down with IPA/panel wipe will be suffice

dakhu1

Rocking a new hat
May 12, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW
Self application, piece of piss.

Just make sure You don’t cut any corners on the prep.

If they are newly refurbished just a thorough clean and wipe down with IPA/panel wipe will be suffice

Thank you. Do I just need to do the faces or the backs/barrels as well? How many bottles would I need for 8 wheels?

bmlfc88

Standard amice donned
Jul 24, 2019
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Imola Red
Thank you. Do I just need to do the faces or the backs/barrels as well? How many bottles would I need for 8 wheels?

100% do the barrels and back of the spokes. Think about it they are the hardest part to clean when the wheels are on the car…

I used almost all of a 15ml bottle to do a set of 4… they do a 30ml bottle aswell which should be fine for 8.

Follow the instructions to the letter, apply as thinly as you possibly can, a little goes a long way!

R60BBA

Jun 25, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
After having ceramic coated wheels for over a year I personally think it is a waste of time.

Would suggest waxing them with something like Fusso Coat and then using a spray wax at the end of every wash. You can the choose to top up protection with something like Gyeon WetCoat every 3/6 months.

dakhu1

Rocking a new hat
May 12, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW
100% do the barrels and back of the spokes. Think about it they are the hardest part to clean when the wheels are on the car…

I used almost all of a 15ml bottle to do a set of 4… they do a 30ml bottle aswell which should be fine for 8.

Follow the instructions to the letter, apply as thinly as you possibly can, a little goes a long way!

Thanks. One last question...would regularly applying something like Poorboys Wheel Sealant on the Polished Lips be a good idea as well i.e. on top of the Carbon Collective stuff?

After having ceramic coated wheels for over a year I personally think it is a waste of time.

Would suggest waxing them with something like Fusso Coat and then using a spray wax at the end of every wash. You can the choose to top up protection with something like Gyeon WetCoat every 3/6 months.

Do tell more...:)

bmlfc88

Standard amice donned
Jul 24, 2019
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Imola Red
I’d have to beg to differ, if you want to be taking the wheels off every wash or every other wash and waxing the barrels go for it… I haven’t had the wheels off since ceramic coating and the barrels are still fresh and easy to clean.

Polished lips yes definitely worth topping up periodically… you only use them in the summer don’t you?

dakhu1

Rocking a new hat
May 12, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW
I’d have to beg to differ, if you want to be taking the wheels off every wash or every other wash and waxing the barrels go for it… I haven’t had the wheels off since ceramic coating and the barrels are still fresh and easy to clean.

Polished lips yes definitely worth topping up periodically… you only use them in the summer don’t you?

I will be using in summer only :). CSLs will be on most of the time

bmlfc88

Standard amice donned
Jul 24, 2019
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Imola Red
Don’t think ceramic coating is a magic cure that will mean you don’t have to clean your wheels ever again mind…

However especially for wheels only used in the summer I think it’s ideal.

Makes them easier to clean, I’ve definitely found my wheels don’t get as dirty… quite often 90% of grime can be cleaned away with just the pressure washer!

For polished lips a little top up with poorboys wheel sealant every so often certainly won’t hurt, quite therapeutic applying it aswell to small areas aswell I find…

dakhu1

Rocking a new hat
May 12, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW
Don’t think ceramic coating is a magic cure that will mean you don’t have to clean your wheels ever again mind…

However especially for wheels only used in the summer I think it’s ideal.

Makes them easier to clean, I’ve definitely found my wheels don’t get as dirty… quite often 90% of grime can be cleaned away with just the pressure washer!

For polished lips a little top up with poorboys wheel sealant every so often certainly won’t hurt, quite therapeutic applying it aswell to small areas aswell I find…

:)

My overriding concern is the polished lips keeping their fresh looks!!

R60BBA

Jun 25, 2018
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo

Load of *******s.

Fusso Coat can last up to 12 months and can also be used on paint as wheel as wheels, it is thus more versatile and you get more bang for buck as you can get circa x20 more applications out of it vs a small bottle of ceramic. So if you were to go this route you would only need to seal your wheels (ie wheels off detail) once per year - great if you don’t wash you car that often.

However if you wash your car regularly (ie every 1/2 weeks) then you do not really need a base sealant on wheels imo. You can use one but the point I’m making here is that it is not needed. As mentioned, using a spray wax after every wash (1/3 squirts per wheel) will keep the wheels glossy and protected, making them easier to clean at your next wash. And if you want an Si02 boost (ie for extra beading) you can treat them with something like Gyeon WetCoat (as previously mentioned).

I personally noticed when I ceramic coated my wheels with Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels that the finish had somewhat dulled (not by much but I noticed it). I also noticed that after about 8 months or so the ceramic properties started to die off, and needed boosting with WetCoat to retrieve them. Whether the coating is still existent on my wheels is also debatable as without WetCoat the ceramic properties are pretty much non existent. So after spraying WetCoat am I seeing the Carbon Collective coating doing its thing again, or am I seeing the water behaviour of the recently applied WetCoat? - most probably the latter.

In light of this I prefer to use a carnauba based spray wax as a drying aid on the wheels after every wash as I get a better finish. The beading isn’t as good as a ceramic product however the finish imo is much more glossy. Also, as the wheels are spray waxed at every wash they are constantly protected and so they are very easy to clean at the next wash.

The spray wax I use is AutoGlym Express Wax aka Rapid Aqua Wax. I bought 5L as it is better value for money and will last ages. I also use it as a drying aid (paint and wheels) for my second car and so again better bang for buck.

At the end of the day you have to work out what works best for you. But imo a ceramic coating for wheels is not what the internet makes it seem to be.

mjn

Underwear thermally upgraded
Aug 28, 2019
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2011 E90 M3
Colour Combo
Jerez Black with Fox Red Leather.
FKP1000 is pretty good. I use it on top of GTechniq C5.

Users who are viewing this thread