what a prat

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Dali, Jan 11, 2020.

1. 25 Mar 2020 at 11:18 AM #41
    Instructormike

Instructormike A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    BMW 130i Birds modified
    Thanks. Suppose I should have bought an E90/2.
    On which note, something to cheer everyone up : https://youtu.be/PkFV0uNFr_Q
    Make sure volume is on max.

I have lots of unlisted clips - may put some together over the coming days.

2. 25 Mar 2020 at 6:49 PM #42
    YoungBenny

YoungBenny Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Came across this thread when first posted and couldn't make my mind up. My initial reaction was that nine times out of ten, I don't think I could have avoided that incident. I put it down to the wall blocking the corner.

This was a very enlightening video, lots more to a corner than it first seems and found the physics strangely interesting. May I ask how you got into this field? I'll definitely be watching more of these.

3. 25 Mar 2020 at 7:14 PM #43
    CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem

The driver was a dumb ass - he is lucky that the motorcyclist had additional protection otherwise he would be looking at manslaughter.

The worst thing is that he even straightens the car up rather than try to avoid the collision.

CarpeDiem, Mar 25, 2020
  4. 25 Mar 2020 at 7:35 PM #44
    Instructormike

What're you driving?:
    BMW 130i Birds modified
    Thanks for the comment (Young Benny).
    The reason I got into looking at accidents actually related to a young man who came to me for some performance driver training. He had suffered a bad crash a while earlier in his Lotus Elise, again on the exit of a corner and had no memory of the accident. He suffered significant injuries but no blame was apportioned to either party after a police investigation. The other vehicle was a 3/5 series BMW. Can't remember which now. Anyway it had really thrown his confidence in his driving so we needed to see if he should be blaming himself, perhaps subconsciously.
    I suggested, if he was comfortable with it, going back to the scene of the incident and seeing if we could understand what had happened. So we drove his route to the point of impact several times and I concluded that the speed on this bend could not have been high enough for him to drift out wide if he had actually made it round the previous two bends. I re-enacted it at some speed.
    Then we acted as the BMW coming from the opposite direction. Eerily, this involved a bend and a slight camber/elevation change. Once we added speed it soon became clear that the Beemer could easily have overcooked the previous entry and would have ended absolutely onto the opposing side of the carriageway and struck my man's Lotus. Obviously a BMW vs. an Elise the BMW wins on crash survival outcome. We could not produce comprehensive evidence but it was enough to restore his self-confidence. He is now a member of our driver's group and is a top lad.

So when I come across something that doesn't seem right I like to gain understanding. IF it doesn't make sense then something is missing. I am a fairly analytical person, with a rusty Physics degree, but a virtual lifetime of being involved in a/ teaching b/cars and c/high risk environments. But I also care for things to be fair. I taught for 12yrs, ran a Technology faculty in a large comprehensive, was a 6th form tutor, liked to look after my charges. Still do. Did rather left of field things before that (and since) that taught me to respect and deal with risk. I'm now an old git with no hair but I hate it when people get hurt without realising how close to the edge of risk they are. That's why we sometimes do things in a military-esque way, but similarly with real crew spirit. Teach to understand and then deal.

A lot of people will not like part 2 and it will get dislikes. I can deal with that. A thumbs down is less dangerous than an anti-personnel mine and I've experienced both. I love discussion and hate ill-informed opinion. I am happy to listen to an opposing view. Then we talk. It makes life interesting.
    Sorry, long answer for short question.
    MC

Azmontana and Jacko 11 like this.
  5. 25 Mar 2020 at 9:33 PM #45
    CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem

Surely the best advice is to tell the person to not drive at 9/10th of their ability on public roads and instead spend time enjoying their car nearer to the limit in a safer and controlled environment. The best form of mitigating risk is not driving like a tool in the first place - these are public roads where the general population tend to do moronic things, not a race track with highly honed driving skills around you.

CarpeDiem, Mar 25, 2020
  6. 25 Mar 2020 at 9:51 PM #46
    Instructormike

What're you driving?:
    BMW 130i Birds modified
    I quite agree. IN a way.... If you want to race, go racing. Public roads are not the place EVER, for racing. Even race tracks in actual races you are not surrounded by finely honed skills, necessarily, except in the higher echelons and then not 100%.
    In order to be in charge of car or circumstance one has to be fully in charge of oneself, abilities and limitations. Actually you should always drive at your full ability, but this does not mean speed; you should always have significant margin on a public road to manage what your don't wish for.
    If you ever happen to have the opportunity to be in the presence of a PPO, he(almost invariably he) would appear to be doing nothing but would actually be at 10/10th all the time. Readiness is key. I would NEVER want someone to drive at 10/10th, if they considered 10/10th to be the absolute limits of themselves and car, or they could not differentiate between themselves and the car. The limits of the car is entirely a different matter to your own limits. TO drive a car at the limit is not to drive a car at your limits.

Jacko 11 likes this.
  7. 2 Apr 2020 at 9:49 PM #47
    Instructormike

What're you driving?:
    BMW 130i Birds modified
    Hope all are good in this time of lockdown and worry of jobs, income, health, parents and grandparents etc. Be good, keep to the 2M and think what you touch. Use nitriles, wash down, be intelligent.

For those who are interested, part 2 of our Mortimer Road investigation is now live: https://youtu.be/7D_VWovtBwI
    There are also some Q&A clips to go with this video, which should appear in next 24hours or so on my channel.
    It may be of interest, maybe even viewed with some incredulity, is that Schumacher's technique of corner approach and control of rotation through yaw management via pedal release is totally embedded in what I teach and propose for both road and racetrack. Hence his total control of rotation. It is equally appropriate to both. He has always been my model for driving approach. Lewis and Jensen used the same approach, Fernando worked the front end too much.
    The average driver thinks of how they apply a pedal. The top 0.5% think more of how, when and the rate of release of either of the right foot pedals. Sign of a top driver, never jumping off a pedal.

There will be disagreements with what I say. Such is life. As I have had the satisfaction of helping people win championships as well as saving themselves in both accident scenarios and also SHTF events I can cope. Would love people to watch and then message me with whatever doesn't make sense. Interact rather than spurious comments, a bit like the original video.
    My best wishes to all and especially to my friends in the services.
    Keep safe. MC

8. 2 Apr 2020 at 10:48 PM #48
    Azmontana

Azmontana Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    m3
    Nothing to disagree with. Based on this do you think the driver could get a retrial?

9. 2 Apr 2020 at 11:07 PM #49
    Instructormike

What're you driving?:
    BMW 130i Birds modified
    It is a moot point. I am no lawyer. wait till the q&a. The good road is South Yorks. The old, just before the corner, Derbyshire. This is a real conflict of responsibility as the accident happened on a county border line and there have been other incidents. If you go on on Derbyshire council's website and read their highways statement you could draw a legal argument quite easily. Wait for the Q&A. Apoligies but we are constrained by the movement limitations at the moment. I do the presentation but I have others stitch it together and we can not easily put this together at the moment.
    MC

10. 3 Apr 2020 at 12:11 PM #50
    Connor Ayers

Connor Ayers A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    M4 2017
    That is ridiculous! What an idiot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)