VANOS Lockdown using Beisan Systems

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by Dali, Oct 26, 2013.

1. 26 Oct 2013 at 5:26 PM #1
    Dali

Dali Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Hi, this post is an excerpt from my journal:

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1198284#67

I thought it would be a good idea to give it its own thread as it deals with the VANOS issues on the S54. It is by no means the 'bible' on the subject but should be useful for owners. :)

VANOS Lockdown - Part 1

VANOS issues are probably the biggest concern for most us with M3s. There is a lot of information out there which explains exactly what the issues are and most importantly.... solutions!

I am no expert on the VANOS system but once you understand 'exactly' what the problems are, you can start buying parts/kits to bullet proof the system. I'll include links for further reading at the end.

My journey into refurbishing the VANOS all began a few months ago when I performed the VANOS test in GT1. The diagnosis reported that I had an inlet leak somewhere in the system - essentially a loss of pressure in the system which means variable valve timing won't be spot on, thus a reduction in performance.

How VANOS works

This video is by no means comprehensive, however it does highlight in simple terms the VANOS system. Note that the S54 is a double VANOS, so it has variable valve timing for the intake and exhaust, whereas the video only shows the intake.

VANOS Issues
    • Solenoid coil pack failure - Badly soldered joints from factory and a combination of engine vibration causes cracks within the circuit board.
    • Sticking solenoid valves - Oil can clog the solenoid valves prohibiting movement, meaning oil pressure is not fluctuated properly.
    • Deteriorating solenoid sealing plate seals - will cause a leak meaning oil pressure isn't regulated. Remember seals deteriorate with age, not necessarily mileage!
    • Loose intake cam mounting bolts - appears to be common, lethal damage to engine if they break off.
    • Broken Hub Tab (Oil driver from exhaust sprocket) - Excess play between the tab and oil pump driver holes causes fatigue and if unlucky the tab may break and get caught in the timing chain - appears to be mileage independent (can happen to any M3).

The issues to worry about are those listed in red. If you are unlucky they can cause serious damage to the engine, especially if parts get chewed up within the timing chain.

I will tackle those in another post, for now I'll go through all the issues in green. Although these are all different parts they are all part of the vanos solenoid system - any failure within each part will cause issues with the variable valve timing.

Solutions

When it comes to VANOS solutions, there are a handful of companies/services that I am aware of:

• Dr Vanos - Full turnkey solutions, buy uprated VANOS parts, buy a new VANOS - long time in the business.
    • Mr Vanos (UK) - full solution (fitting) quite popular with members, positive reviews - can be hard to get hold of though
    • Beisan Systems - Mechanical Engineers based in the USA, have a loyal dedicated following amongst M3 owners, they only sell parts tho.

Why I chose Beisan Systems

My reasons for choosing BS is all down to personal preference. 'Rajaie Qubain' is a mechanical engineer who runs BS in the USA. He is a prominent contributor on M3Forum.net for VANOS issues. He 'always' replies to customers and non-customers, very knowledgeable chap when it comes to the VANOS. During my rebuild I asked him many questions through email and he always replied with helpful comments.

Beisan Systems also openly shares a lot of knowledge about the VANOS with the community - their DIY guides are incredibly detailed!

With a plethora of positive reviews on other forums regarding his VANOS parts it just made sense for me to go through the BS route.

Beisan Solenoid Coil Pack / Seals Walkthrough

This isn't a pure DIY, I'll post links for that at the end ;)

[​IMG]

The parts highlighted in the diagram are related to the solenoid function. The large bolt towards the right is the VANOS pressure valve, it is screwed into the solenoid valve body.

I managed to get this job done in around 4 hours, can be done much quicker but I took my time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shortly after the procedure I took the car out for a quick test. I immediatley noticed the car felt much more 'punchy'. By this I mean whenever I firmly hit the accelerator the engine responded instantaneously compared to before. Upon reflection I am pretty sure my old seals were shot.

Note: The seals for the VANOS pressure valve only come with the BS solenoid pack OR full seal kit (see below).

Seeing the deteriorated seals was enough to make me invest in the full Beisan VANOS seals kit - these are seals for the internal parts of the VANOS. Since the VANOS would be completely open during this installation it made sense to purchase the Beisan oil pump disc as well to protect against 'broken tabs'. Add in new cam/sprocket bolts along with the above and the VANOS is pretty much bullet proof. See Part 2 :thumbsup:

DIY: Always use the beisan DIY to ensure you have the latest information!
    http://www.beisansystems.com/
    http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/s54_vanos_solenoid_procedure.htm [Vanos Solenoid DIY]

Part List:

Beisan:
    #BS023 x1 - Beisan S54 Rebuilt Vanos Solenoid Coil Pack [$150 + $150 refundable core charge]
    #BS024 x1 - S54 Vanos Sealing Plate Repair Kit [$10]

BMW:
    11367831906 x1 - OEM Sealing Plate (Optional, but good to have should you need to revert). [£19.91]
    07129905554 x3 - VANOS uprated Torx bolts [long] [£4.08]
    07129905537 x2 - VANOS uprated Torx bolts [short] [£4.08]
    11361401971 x1 - VANOS filter cartridge [£6.85]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. 26 Oct 2013 at 5:28 PM #2
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    VANOS Lockdown - Part 2

In this part, we tackle the more serious issues...

VANOS Issues (Internal)
    • Loose cam/sprocket mounting bolts
    • Broken Hub Tab (Oil driver from exhaust hub)

Loose cam/sprocket mounting bolts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(these are public images)

These factory bolts are known to work their way loose/snap off and get caught in the timing chain with disastrous consequences. Luckily BMW updated the bolts with stronger versions - see end of post for part numbers.

Broken Hub Tab (Oil driver from exhaust hub)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to Raj at Beisan Systems, when the hub tabs are mounted into the oil pump disc holes there is excessive play. In other words the holes are too big, this means due to the extra space the tabs hit the sides of the holes in the oil pump disc at a much higher force. It only gets worse if indentations occur within the holes as this will technically increase the amount of travel meaning more forceful lashes. This wasn't so much an issue on other BMW engines because the 'play' wasn't as big. It is believed BMW deliberately made the holes larger on the S54 to make it easier to install the hub/oil pump disc during construction.

The consequences....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: these are public images I have annotated - not my VANOS.

If god is on your side, then at the very least a broken tab will stay trapped within the oil disc pump hole until you remove it - worse case scenario the tab drops into the timing chain causing major damage. I've read enough stories to conclude that mileage really has no part in this, you'll either experience it or you wont, there are no tell tale signs before the event either :(

The Solutions (to prevent broken tabs)

There are two solutions, option 1 is to purchase a Beisan Systems re-engineered oil pump disc which contains smaller holes to reduce travel.

... Option 2 is buy a re-engineered hub turbotoy/Dr VANOS exhaust hub, these are pretty strong and the tabs are thicker, so in effect they reduce travel too.

At this moment in time there really isn't a comparison between the two - they are both decent options. I went with the re-engineered Oil Pump Disc from BS.

The Parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: OEM hole 'play' is a full 1.00mm, Beisan hole 'play' is 0.10mm :eek::D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine Timing

[​IMG]

Important - When removing the cam bolts the engine timing will be disturbed. This is almost impossible to avoid due to the movement of many parts. The BS guide covers how to re-time the engine correctly using special tools (bridge alignment, locking pin).

However, things can still go wrong if you don't know what you are doing here. Having never re-timed the S54 this wasn't something I wasn't prepared to do myself despite Beisans excellent instructions.

My indy has good experience working with the VANOS (replacing seals), and have used some Beisan parts before. They offered to install the entire kit, perform valve clearances and re-time the engine. They had the exact same BMW bridge alignment tool as featured on Beisan DIY... for me it was a total no brainer!

The Install

The downside to having them (my indy) do the work meant I couldn't take any pictures of the process. I would of done this install myself if it wasn't for the engine timing procedure.

Here is an example of how the BS oil pump disc reduces the 'play':

Parts List

Beisan:
    #BS021 x1 - S54 Vanos Seals Repair Kit [$60]
    #BS022 x1 - S54 Anti-Rattle Repair Kit [$80]
    #BS095 x1 - S54 Anti-Rattle Helper Tools [$20]
    #BS025 x1 - S54 Re-engineered Oil Pump Disc [$150 + $150 refundable core charge]

BMW:
    11127832034 x1 - Valve Cover Gasket [£60.00]
    11367831938 x1 - VANOS Gasket Plate [£12.20]
    07129905536 x12 - Uprated Cam Bolts [£8.16]
    07119913589 x12 - Sprocket Bolts (These are optional) [£6.00]
    11121437395 x2 - Valve Cover Grommet [£1.60]
    07119963072 x2 - Crush Washer [£0.70]
    07119963129 x2 - Crush Washer (smaller) [£0.92]
    11367833218 x2 - S62 VANOS Diaphragm Spring Set (Read Below!) [£43.80]

S62 VANOS Diaphragm Spring Set
    I haven't discussed this component so far because I wasn't able to get it. It isn't stocked by BMW UK, so a back order had to be placed... 2 weeks later BMW Germany couldn't provide an ETA! I even tried to salvage one from an E39 M5 engine breaker on ebay... they never replied :( - these diaphragm springs from the S62 (E39 M5) are thicker and better made, they help reduce the VANOS noise. The Beisan guides will refer to using this part but it is by no means a show stopper. This part seems like gold dust right now - if you can't get hold of it just use your existing diaphragm springs :)

Edit: 20/02/15 - the S62 VANOS Diaphragm Spring Set seems to be fully stocked by BMW UK now, so you should have problems ordering. Thanks to Ben (HookdexM3) for the update!

Links / DIY:
    http://beisansystems.com/procedures/s54_vanos_procedure.htm
    - VANOS overhaul using BS parts, its a long read but contains lots of valuable information!

My Review (After Installation)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having recently picked up my car from my Indy, I am overwhelmed by the difference these parts have made to the car. As my Indy gave me the keys he wanted me to start the car in front of him (I guess he wanted to see my reaction).

The transformation on my M3 is stunning. The engine fired up really smooth - I've never heard it run this good at idle before. You can really tell by the exhaust note too, its super smooth but not '330' smooth. By that I mean there is still some rawness to it all... you know its an ///M engine basically.

By this point I hadn't even driven off yet and I was already very happy lol.
    I opened the bonnet, and sure enough there was no nasty rattle - to be fair I never really had the "marbles in a can" sound anyway, it was just a low-mild rattle that is typical of many S54 engines.

Return trip was around 90 miles, so it was the perfect drive to test everything. First thing I noticed as I drove off was how much better the car pulls. I always thought the car lacked some lower end torque and that it was normal, but clearly that was wrong, now its perfect. You'll really notice it at roundabouts, when your ready to go the car will already be there :)

I went through some twisty A-roads and the M1, the car just felt amazing. For the first time I'm hearing fantastic exhaust notes that I've never picked up on before, so much more crisper.

On faster roads I was able test out the whole rev range, as I said before its just pulls and pulls harder than before, no hesitation, no delay.

One observation I noticed was that when I first drove the car the engine felt quite 'tight'... tough to explain, its one of those BMW quirks where you (think?) can feel the car. After 30 miles or so the engine opened up and it really felt alive - now I think this might be down to seals which need a certain amount of mileage before their performance reaches optimum (after install - one time only).

Much of what I experienced was with the sport button off, turn that on and.... damn :D

This job is probably one of the best things I've done to my M3 so far. Reading up about the S54 Vanos issues, solutions was one hell of a journey but I'm glad I did as its paid off big time. Icing on the cake is that its pretty much bulletproof now (vanos).

I was given the VANOS report by Autologic, all values are now within tolerance, no leaks present :thumbsup:

Closing thoughts

I certainly recommend getting a VANOS TEST performed, even then you may wish to change your seals anyway as they deteriorate with age (rather than mileage). Just remember that BMW acknowledge some of the faults listed here with the S54 VANOS but are/have not improved on the design much, apart from cam bolts. So if you decide to buy a new VANOS directly from BMW it will still use the same inferior seals.

I have deliberately kept some of the information about the VANOS components primitive so its easy to understand - you probably have a lot of questions about how things work (eg. oil pump disk, coil pack), you can find detailed information on those on the DIY link above (Beisan Systems Procedure), they do an excellent job at explaining everything.

I hope this guide is of some use to you, at the very least it should make you aware of the exact VANOS issues on the S54 and how they can be fixed.

Thanks for reading :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  3. 26 Oct 2013 at 5:53 PM #3
    ecuevo1234

ecuevo1234 On the path

Your Motor:
    2004 SMG M3 convertible
    Good write up. Think a lot of people will be wondering the cost?

4. 26 Oct 2013 at 7:21 PM #4
    Dudi

Dudi Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    1985 Lada Riva
    As above please.

5. 26 Oct 2013 at 7:46 PM #5
    stuartk

stuartk Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    430d Cabriolet & Range Rover Evoque
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey/Red Leather & Indus Silver/Ebony Leather
    Me too posted on TMC asking :)

6. 26 Oct 2013 at 8:51 PM #6
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Done chaps - knew I forgot something :rolleyes:

I've added prices to each component in the parts lists on the posts above - a couple of notes:

• I have itemised it rather than giving a total cost because some owners may not want/need the anti rattle kit, thus saving cost.

• Prices quoted are from BMW Cooper Parts, I have included the subtotal (multiplied the quantity for convenience), so the price given is for that quantity.

• Some Beisan parts have a core refund charge, so when you see $150 + $150 it means you will pay $300 and get $150 debited back to you (paypal) once you send back your original part. (remember their prices are in dollars$).

• When ordering parts from the USA you may be incur customs charges. The VANOS solenoid components on my first order made it through customs fine, I didn't get charged. However the second package with the internal seal kit, anti rattle kit and oil pump disc did incur charges, this came to around £20-£30.

One final thing, recall that I did the overhaul in two stages, the first part was the VANOS solenoid. This is fairly straight forward and Beisan's DIY is excellent - anyone who has used a screwdriver on their car can do this. If budget is a concern you could start here first and then later get the VANOS internal seals / pump disc (you could also do that in reverse too - probably notice more gain).

For labour cost it's tricky as I had a few other things done to the car which skews the figures. I believe labour charge for everything apart from the VANOS solenoid work (part 1) comes to around £250-£300 -its a good 6 hours work for an Indy. Ideally you should leave the car with them for a few days, they'll need the engine cold and you wouldn't want them to 'rush' a job like this.

Certainly ring around and check with your local Indy for labour costs.

Good luck folks :thumbsup:

7. 26 Oct 2013 at 9:00 PM #7
    stuartk

stuartk Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    430d Cabriolet & Range Rover Evoque
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey/Red Leather & Indus Silver/Ebony Leather
    Roughly £600-700 all in then. For a solid VANOS unit that's a small price to pay!

8. 27 Oct 2013 at 9:13 AM #8
    MattMp

MattMp Sponsor

Your Motor:
    2005 M3
    Wow Dali what a great informative thread. You have gone to a heck of a lot of effort here. It should be a sticky imho

Well done mate

9. 27 Oct 2013 at 12:05 PM #9
    m3nut

m3nut Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3
    Information like this is worth its weight in gold!
    Thank you for taking the time :thumbsup:

10. 27 Oct 2013 at 2:13 PM #10
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Thanks all! No problem at all... whilst there is a lot of info out there I couldn't find a simplified guide highlighting issues with possible solutions in one place. All that info I have acquired off Beisan Systems and reading many threads by other owners, so I'm just paying it all back - tried to make it illustrative as its not always clear in just words. :)

I think Mr VANOS (UK) prices are similar - again its up to the individual which route they take, it will all lead to the same end result. I'm not sure if Mr Vanos (UK) uses the new oil pump disc or uprated exhaust hub, you would have to ask him.

Fun fact: Beisan Systems was the original supplier of uprated VANOS parts (seals, oil pump disc etc) for Dr VANOS (USA). This is no longer the case (since Beisan Systems now sell direct to consumer). Apparently a member discovered this after asking Raj directly about it.

Wherever you decide to get your seals from just make sure they are VITON... they have a very distinctive dark brown colour. They've made a huge difference to my m3, enjoying it soo much more. :thumbsup:

11. 27 Oct 2013 at 2:33 PM #11
    alcantara

alcantara Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3
    Many thanks for this. It is now on my 'to do' list for the M3's winter hibernation.

12. 28 Oct 2013 at 12:55 AM #12
    keenimeeni

keenimeeni A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2005 m3
    Colour Combo:
    silver/ black
    Thanks great info

13. 28 Oct 2013 at 9:23 AM #13
    Schmeel

Schmeel Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 Coupe Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Seriously impressive read mate. Really enjoyed that. Where is your Indy based?

14. 28 Oct 2013 at 12:56 PM #14
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Cheers all.

Drove the car to work today, usual commute route. Big improvement on the low end torque, it's a pleasure now in traffic where as before it always felt down on power (town driving - I had to give a lot more throttle before when driving around town).

Some owners have queried Raj about this improvement in performance, this is his explanation:

Thanks - my Indy is Darren Woods in Stockport, they know my car inside out ;)

15. 28 Oct 2013 at 2:51 PM #15
    Schmeel

Schmeel Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 Coupe Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Thanks. On a side note. Have you changed your wheel bearings before? I am starting to think that mine may possibly need doing. PM mate.

16. 28 Oct 2013 at 11:53 PM #16
    mickeya5

mickeya5 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    53 bmw e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    carbon black/black
    vanos

brilliant write up.I have a spare vanos so could i rebuild this on the bench an get an indy to fit it (as would not want to mess with the timing my self).
    Also if i sent bs my solenoid pack an oil disc from my spare vanos then would they not charge the core charge on these bits?
    Little job for the xmas hols lol cheers Mickey

17. 29 Oct 2013 at 1:20 PM #17
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Hi Mickey

I guess you could use a spare VANOS. I'd recomend printing off the Beisan DIY guide, this way you can go through it and check you have all the items required in your spare vanos to complete the 'seal kit' procedure. It's around 200 pages but 80% of it is images.

Yeah you can send in the coilpack and oil pump disc from your spare vanos provided they are in serviceable condition. BS will service the PCB in the coil pack and drill the new smaller holes in the oil pump disc. These will then be sold to another customer and you will be refunded $150 for each core part returned. (Refund is initiated as soon as your core parts arrive at BS).

Good luck :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  18. 8 Nov 2013 at 7:34 PM #18
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Hi gents

I've received quite a few PMs in the past week regarding the seal kit from Beisan Systems.

I spoke to Raj earlier today about shipping costs, here is the latest:

Shipping to the UK
    $27 (£17) Standard Delivery (2 weeks)
    $47 (£30) Express Delivery (1 week)

On the subject of customs, due to the small size of the components the value declared is low. I recall only my 2nd package incurring customs charges which came to £20.00. (Bear in mind I ordered the vanos solenoid stuff first, then the main seal kit, oil pump disc on my second order).

19. 13 Nov 2013 at 7:48 AM #19
    LooneyLeon

LooneyLeon Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Met Steel Grey / Black Nappa
    Brilliant write up buddy :thumbsup:

20. 13 Nov 2013 at 1:16 PM #20
    Dali

Your Motor:
    nothing
    Thanks leon :)

As an update for all, I sent my old coil pack and oil pump disc to Besian last week for a core refund. I received my refund from Beisan Systems this morning ($300[£190]) - Happy Days ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)