Valvetronic Motor clicking/knocking noise

Discussion in 'F80 M3 Saloon / F82 M4 Coupe / F83 M4 Convertible (2014-present)' started by ScottyM4CP, May 2, 2018.

1. 14 Aug 2018 at 2:58 PM #21
    ed430

ed430 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2015 MW M4 Cab - Gone, 2017 MW CP M4 Cab
    Colour Combo:
    MW/SO
    Mines did this a month back and has since done it on three occasions now. The issue surfaces when the cars cold and then unlocked.

When it first occurred I had the BMW assist guy out who confirmed it was to continue driving and to call them if it reoccurred.

Cars booked in for September to get looked at.

2. 14 Aug 2018 at 3:00 PM #22
    S18M3

S18M3 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    I managed to bring it into the dealer and been speaking to master tech on it, he’s going to check to see if any faults been logged and the performance history of the battery for the last 5 days. They can be recalibrated or adaptions I think he mentioned, but said rather not do so as it would just mask the issue, and rather the valvetronic was changed if that’s what it needs. However, he did say that the clicks are normally faster and for a few seconds and not like the noise in the video. As standard the noise won’t replicate now it’s at the dealers and that’s it warm, so he said take it away as there is a fall back safe mode should it fail.

Not sure if I should have the adaptions done though, if it’s saves the kind of work that’s needed to replace it. Hmmm decisions decisions

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. 14 Aug 2018 at 10:15 PM #23
    Steven90

Steven90 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2016 Yas Marina Blue M3 Competition
    I have had this noise for around a month now. BMW have had it for just over a week now and they have been back and forth with BMW technical. They have been keeping me updated and asking me questions such as, how long was the car stood, did it happen before or after service, have I had any voltage issues like cutting out of lights dimming etc. It's still on going but they have rang me everyday to keep me updated. Luckily they managed to get it to do it after a few days and sent the video to BMW technical. I'll keep you all updated.

4. 15 Aug 2018 at 5:37 AM #24
    ScottyM4CP

ScottyM4CP Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    2016 M4 Competition Package+Akrapovic Evolution
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey / Silverstone
    Yes please do keep us posted. Mine has still only done this twice in 26 months of ownership.

5. 15 Aug 2018 at 9:33 AM #25
    S18M3

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    So an interim update on my visit to the dealer yesterday. Car came back clear on diagnostic including battery levels for past 5 days. However, tech saw a new bulletin from BMW on the N55 engine which he said has certain similarities to the S55. Apparently there are two types of issues with the valvetronic motor. (1) the clicking noise is very rapid and only lasts about 2-3 secs, (2) the noise is as most of us have been experiencing, slow clicks which last anything from 30-60 secs. The latter it says is harder to reproduce, whereas the former once it is there it appears every time you unlock the car. The tech mentioned they changed a valvetronic last week on a '18 plate M4 but for problem type (1) and has not heard the one we have. He has changed many on the x40i engines across the range which has the N55 engine under problem type (1). He suspects, that it's most likely the valvetronic given the description on the bulletin, but would like to hear it person to be sure before they go changing it.

Been advised to keep an eye on it, and monitor number of occurrences and when it occurs, which is only when cold, so will probably need to leave the car overnight at the dealers at some point. But there is no harm in driving it, as there is a mechanical throttle body which will kick in should the valvetronic motor itself fail, and the car will run in limp mode.

@Steven90 - What's interesting is the question from your dealer on, was it before or after the service? As mine happened about 4 days after the run-in service, which may just be pure coincidental and cannot see what correlation it could have with an oil change, but still intrigued on why the dealer would ask you that?

I think its a voltage issue of some sort or the electrical connector of the valvetronic itself, as it only happens when the car is cold and stood over a period of long time, mine first happened after it being parked for 8 hours.

Anyway, hopefully with the collective information between us we can get to find out what is wrong before we go having the dealers change the valvetronic motors

Please keep us updated. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. 15 Aug 2018 at 8:27 PM #26
    Steven90

Your Motor:
    But of an update today. They rang back and said they are going to need the car for a few more days (been two weeks now) The said they are going to need to remove the rocker cover and inspect a part for 'wear'. Looking at other threads the valvetronic motor is located under the rocker cover so I assume it's that they are looking at. My car is not even two years old and has just under 3k miles on it... No idea what could have worn In such a short time. I'll keep you all updated with that they say.

7. 16 Aug 2018 at 2:07 PM #27
    S18M3

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    The part they are referring to I assume will be the valvetronic or eccentric shaft, believes it's one of the procedural checks mentioned for the N55 from what the master tech mentioned.

Lets see what they come back with fingers crossed. I'm taking mine in a few weeks times

8. 17 Aug 2018 at 7:10 PM #28
    Steven90

Your Motor:
    So BMW contacted me today and they confirmed it was the valvetronic thingy. They said they will have a new part for the morning and the cat should be ready for Monday afternoon. I asked what had happened and they said they confirmed the part had 'worn' prematurely. I asked how this could happen on a car with less that 3k miles and he just said it was a faulty part from the factory. Didn't really get much more out of him. I'll just be glad to get my car back and hopefully it's sorted. Two weeks in a X1 is getting boring... I suppose I should be greatful for the transport.

@S18M3... I see that you are taking yours in. It took them a whole week to get mine to fault and they were getting to the point after day 3 telling me to take it and wait till it gets worse. I had already given them a video of it happening though from day 1. In the end they said they got it to do it briefly and just ended up sending my video to BMW. If only they had done it from the start. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. 17 Aug 2018 at 9:00 PM #29
    samss

samss A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    RS5-> C63->M4 CP
    Just got mine back today. They want it back for a week in September to find out what it is. Clicking is most times I open the car after a night parked up.

They did the PUMA thing etc but didn’t seem to know. Will probably have to show them this thread! Which dealer sorted it, out of interest?

10. 17 Aug 2018 at 9:40 PM #30
    Steven90

Your Motor:
    @samss sounds like you have exactly what my car was experiencing. They struggled to find mine and tried to get me to take it back saying wait till it gets worse but I basically said I would bring it back as soon as it did it again. They also had a video I took and they agreed it didn't sound good. Im glad they have found something and hoping it has fixed it. We will find out in time I guess. Make sure you get a decent courtesy car as they've had mine two weeks now and I've been stuck a X1!

11. 17 Aug 2018 at 9:48 PM #31
    samss

samss A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    RS5-> C63->M4 CP

Ha! Yeh wasn’t too pleased with the manual 1 series!
    Yeh they were making the same noises until I sent them 3 videos showing the click and they’ve agreed it’s not right. Definitely needs sorting.

12. 17 Aug 2018 at 10:12 PM #32
    S18M3

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    Thanks for the update, the more we can attest to the noise being the valvetronic the easier it makes it to warrant BMW to repair without the problem repeating itself while under their investigation. Seems like this will be resolution for many who have this sound, just a matter of when to get it done, guess it depends on how bad it gets and how often it occurs as there isn’t any big detriment if the part was to completley fail so I’ve been told due to mechanical throttle body.

13. 20 Aug 2018 at 11:56 AM #33
    S18M3

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    Please let us know how you get on OP once you have your car back, hope all gets fitted/replaced in good order. I'd be interested in whether you notice any performance difference, especially on throttle response.

14. 20 Aug 2018 at 8:38 PM #34
    Steven90

Your Motor:
    @S18M3

I was suppose to get the car back today but they rang at half three and said they would like to keep it overnight so they can road test it again tomorrow. They said they haven't done one before so want to make sure it's right (which I have no issue with). How come you mention throttle response? Does this part affect that?

15. 20 Aug 2018 at 9:03 PM #35
    S18M3

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    Yeah it’s good that they want to be sure it’s been done properly and want to be thorough, always a sign of a good dealer. No I don’t expect it has anything to do with the throttle response or at least would not think so. Was only curious as per my thread on ‘440i...’ and wondered if they could be linked, you’ll see if you read it and why I may have put 2 and 2 together and possibly got 5. Sorry, didn’t mean to alarm you bud.

16. 22 Aug 2018 at 7:25 PM #36
    Steven90

Your Motor:
    Picked up the car today. They didnt say too much more about what it was or how it happened, just reiterated that it was the valvetronic motor and the part had worn due to beibg defective from the factory. Said it was the first one they have done at that dealer hence why they had it over two weeks. Only time will tell I suppose. I couldn't give it a blast on the way home as it was pouring down!

17. 23 Aug 2018 at 10:30 AM #37
    S18M3

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    Good stuff, hope yours is sorted now. Strange how the faulty part is across so many different production dates. Mine is a Dec'17 build.

18. 24 Aug 2018 at 7:12 AM #38
    Hazzard

Hazzard A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2018 Bmw M3 comp
    I’ve heard this on my car a few times now only when opening the car from cold inc once this week clicking goes on for over 30 seconds .
    I’ve got a 2018 cp m3 currently 850 miles, thinking back I think it’s done it since the day I picked it up in May .

19. 24 Aug 2018 at 11:17 AM #39
    S18M3

Your Motor:
    2018 F80 M3 CP
    It actually astonishes me that BMW have known about this issue for a while as it appears it's been happening for a while and not done anything about it. What build date is yours by the way?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  20. 24 Aug 2018 at 12:31 PM #40
    Steven90

Your Motor:
    It worries me that the part they have replaced on mine won't be a revised one and could have the same problem again anytime. I was told from a friend who is a tech there it's a £2k warranty job so I'd hate for it to go wrong out of warranty!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)