Triumph Speed/street triple

Discussion in 'Bikes. Trikes?' started by Raif, May 22, 2019.

1. 22 May 2019 at 12:15 PM #1
    Raif

Raif Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    V8
    Any one owned either of these? I'm changing jobs and thinking of commuting on a bike again.

Fancy a naked bike and these seem like a lot of bike for the money (also considered the MT-09 but read that the Triumph street triple is the better machine).

Thinking the street might be a little gutless hence leaning towards a speed but I've never owned this kind of bike so interested to hear peoples experiences

2. 22 May 2019 at 5:32 PM #2
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    I currently have the Street Triple 765RS. They are anything but gutless. Super comfortable, light, they handle like a dream, economical, great build quality, and if you get the RS version it comes with nice bits as standard, ie Ohlins, Brembo, Quickshifter etc. If you can rag one of these to anything near its limit on the roads, then you really need to be on a track. Simples.

Of course, there are 'faster' bikes out there. I came of a S1000RR Sport on to this little gem, and that was a velocipede of way overkill proportions. However, my main ride buddy has kept his S1000RR and on our last runs out to Barmouth in Wales, he can only gap me on the straights, near 200hp vs 120ish, so not really a fair contest. Round the twisties and braking, flirting out of bends he cant do anything about the RS.

In comparison with the Speed, the speed is faster ultimately, as its a 1050 engine, but is also a fair bit heavier and bulkier to sit on and ride. I would suggest you go and try them both, I doubt you'd be disappointed in either, but for commuting the Street is way more manouverable due to its lightness. All IMO of course.

Stuart

3. 23 May 2019 at 8:52 AM #3
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
    Cheers Stuart, the maneuverability is a good point and will probably make the Street a bit for "fun" on the urban commute. By gutless I meant in terms of lazy torque, I didn't want to have to rev it like say a 600. Congrats on the RS thats a great bike but a lot more kit than I'll need. Ot of budget too for what I want it for if i'm honest. I've looking more at the later 675 R type range or a 2011 ish Speed.

I'm also coming from the "super" bike world (last bike was a track bike) so I'm looking forward to changing it up and experiencing the "naked sports". Always had an itch for one of the Triumphs

4. 23 May 2019 at 9:45 AM #4
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    Funny you should mention the 675 mate, I had one a few years back and that's what made me want another !!
    [​IMG]
    It was an R version with a few nice bits on. tbh I regret selling that bike, it did everything I wanted, quick, stopped, handled etc. Don't get me wrong I am no Rossi but that was plenty fast enough.

Being a triple they do have a decent amount of low down torque as well, and don't need to be revved like a four. Obviously they don't mind being revved and the top power is higher up the rev band. More so on my latest RS though, after 8 thou it comes on song, a bit like the old 2 strokes but not as much. The 675R was chopped in for a Diavel, now that was a torque monster.

When I bought the 675R I actually went to look at and try a 1050 Speed Triple, but chose the 675 as I thought it would be more useable on the road. The speed was obviously quicker, and pulled harder, but for what I wanted the 675R was streets ahead, scuse the pun. I still regret to this day selling that bike, it just did everything very very well. The new RS is similar in many ways, just better at doing it overall, but you wont go far wrong with a 675R.

Stuart

Raif likes this.
  5. 23 May 2019 at 10:01 AM #5
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
    That is very nice! Almost seems a shame to use one for commuting but I want to feel a little special when I'm on it (have had bland Fazers, Thundercats, CB etc. for commuting in the past). The triple engine is the USP I want to experience, ever since the 675 Daytona first came out I wanted to try that engine.

The Diavel was an interesting choice!

6. 23 May 2019 at 10:12 AM #6
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    Ha, yeah the Diavel
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't recommend that for a commuter though. Even though it had gobs of torque, below 30 or 40 ish it was snatchy and lumpy and if I'm honest, unpleasant. However, get it moving and it was a joy to ride, comfier that the Striples, and you just really never needed to drop a gear to pass anything, it just went. With the Termis on as well, it sounded bloody awesome and filtering was easy as it could be heard a few hundred yards before it arrived. Got attention everywhere it went. And what a rear end, a 240 tyre, wider than JLo's ass !!

Stuart

7. 23 May 2019 at 10:17 AM #7
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
    Sounds like typical Ducati. My neighbours would love me to get one of them for the morning commute!

Talking of twins, The KTM superduke was another one on my shortlist.

8. 23 May 2019 at 10:25 AM #8
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    Last year on my S1000RR I went to Barmouth in North Wales with my main ride buddy also on a BM and another mate on a 1290 Superduke. Christ they are fast, lethal fast. Daz, the lad on the Duke, has a screw loose anyway, but that thing was just a wheelie machine, any speed, any gear it just wheelied. On one stretch of road he flew past me and my mate on the back wheel and we were doing 70ish. Sounded nice with an Akra on it as well. Mind you, I'm hearing the clutch has gone in it now, no wonder. I do like em though !! But I don't commute, my 2 wheels are purely for fun and pleasure on a Sunday.

Stuart

9. 23 May 2019 at 10:27 AM #9
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
  10. 23 May 2019 at 10:28 AM #10
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
    That sounds like my kind of machine but at the same time I'm trying to be sensible!

11. 23 May 2019 at 10:30 AM #11
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
  12. 23 May 2019 at 10:32 AM #12
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who rides a Superduke is well detached from any degree of sensibility !! Mind you, you'll never need to change the front tyre, so that's a bonus LOL.

Stuart

13. 23 May 2019 at 10:33 AM #13
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
    Results of this conversation: I'm on autotrader looking at Superdukes :muttley:

ADL and CINNABULL like this.
  14. 23 May 2019 at 10:35 AM #14
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    Oh Gawd, London commuters beware, haha

Stuart

Raif likes this.
  15. 22 Jun 2019 at 4:59 PM #15
    FR08MEE

FR08MEE On the path

Your Motor:
    Z4M
    I owned a Speed Triple SE and it was an amazing bike. Super comfy, especially with the gel seat and it was really easy to nip about in traffic.

Only downside was the lack of wind protection at higher speeds when going on runs with full blown sports bikes.

Raif likes this.
  16. 4 Jul 2019 at 6:52 PM #16
    DavidOzzy

DavidOzzy On the path

Your Motor:
    2005 320
    I'd certainly consider the duke. Can be a bit crazy!

17. 4 Jul 2019 at 7:03 PM #17
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    Heyup Raif

Did you eventually get sorted, if so what did you end up with?

Stuart

18. 5 Jul 2019 at 10:29 AM #18
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
    Hi mate, I start new job in September (until then I've still got the boring 70 mile motorway commute) so I'm holding out for another couple months before I pull the trigger. :thumbsup:

Will likely be an early super duke so not as crazy as radical as the newer models but will hopefully still wake me up in the morning ;)

19. 5 Jul 2019 at 10:57 AM #19
    CINNABULL

CINNABULL A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2019 Golf R Estate
    Good luck with whatever you choose. Still think a Street Triple would fit the bill though !!

Stuart

20. 5 Jul 2019 at 11:28 AM #20
    Raif

Your Motor:
    V8
    You're probably right mate just seems a shame to waste one as a commuter. Lets see whats on the market in a couple months time ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)