Took delivery on Sunday - Limited first impressions

Discussion in 'G80 M3 Saloon / G82 M4 Coupe / G83 M4 Convertible (2021)' started by parathon, Mar 17, 2021.

1. 25 Mar 2021 at 11:32 AM #81
    zerouali

zerouali Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    BMW 5 series touring, E92 M3 Competition package
    No one is paying £100k for an M3.;) I doubt anyone has actually paid £100k for an M5!:D

2. 25 Mar 2021 at 2:18 PM #82
    M3 GFY

M3 GFY Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    Bugger All
    Why do BMW insist on quoting RRP's that are nonsense. No one pays list...EVER and BMW depreciation is still one of the worst in the motor trade. Imagine how bad the depreciation would be if anyone paid list.:bugeye:

3. 26 Mar 2021 at 12:49 AM #83
    estoril m3

estoril m3 Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    2002 M3 convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Individual Estoril blue/Individual extended Champagne leather
    I would hope not or they are in for a £50K bath if they keep it 3 years....:eek:

4. 26 Mar 2021 at 12:44 PM #84
    Steveo

Steveo Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    SMB M4CS with CCBs
    Anyone up for a new M4CS? :D

5. 26 Mar 2021 at 6:05 PM #85
    Scottyant

Scottyant Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    GT4

Lovely car mate , glad you went for one early doors chuffed for you :thumbsup: . I did the same with the X3M and never regretted it one bit whilst most were slagging them off on here . The S58 engine is amazing isn’t it .... enjoy .

parathon and stuartk like this.
  6. 27 Mar 2021 at 5:55 PM #86
    parathon

parathon On the path

What're you driving?:
    2021 G82 M4 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    Sau Paulo/Silverstone
    :D Thanks.

I have been out "playing" in it today. It is absolutely epic. The engine is incredible.... It is so effortlessly quick I am back in the land of worrying about my license.
    The handling and road holding are on a different level from the previous generations (I have had them all except the E30), it is such an amazing car to drive.... If I could just fix the software.... Android Auto wont work (could be my phone), Traffic light assistant does not work in the UK (upgrade coming apparently) and why can't you get the sports heads up via the M1 and M2 buttons. But these all disappear when you use the right peddle and turn the steering wheel... :muttley:

Alex0, Scottyant and DazC like this.
  7. 27 Mar 2021 at 6:43 PM #87
    domk81

domk81 On the path

What're you driving?:
    M4
    Nice car. I saw one in BMW York in this colour and I was pleasantly surprised. It actually does look much better the flesh than in pictures. It was parked next to an f82 m4cs and does make the older car look a bit dated. I still thought some of the lines on the car are a bit odd as they just don’t gel together like the f82. Overall I liked it much more than I thought I would! :thumbsup:

8. 27 Mar 2021 at 7:39 PM #88
    DazC

DazC Rocking a new hat

What're you driving?:
    M2C
    Colour Combo:
    HS / Black/Blue
    Android Auto worked fine about 90% of the time with me over the 4 days I had a loaner, but could be a bit temperamental at times.

I also know what you mean about the HUD. You seem to need to press the M Mode button to activate the M-HUD sport mode unless I missed a setting somewhere.

9. 28 Mar 2021 at 12:14 PM #89
    SimonH

SimonH Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    I actually feel they have made the right move regarding the sports HUD. Its the sameish design, as in the M5, so at night, the HUD became offputting, as it was so large, and i used to run the HUD without the rev counter. Glad you are enjoying the car, its a great drivers car :).

10. 28 Mar 2021 at 9:11 PM #90
    parathon

parathon On the path

What're you driving?:
    2021 G82 M4 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    Sau Paulo/Silverstone
    Hi. You made me stop and think and look at the sports HUD and I think you are right. The Sports HUD is big and even with the brightness turned down it is still a bit "in your face"...
    Still absolutely loving the car and looking for any excuse to take it out :D:D

SimonH likes this.
  11. 28 Mar 2021 at 9:13 PM #91
    parathon

parathon On the path

What're you driving?:
    2021 G82 M4 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    Sau Paulo/Silverstone
    Fairly certain it is my slightly aging phone. I have tried with a Google Pixel 2 and I think the Bluetooth is not quite up to it... I am going to try my new Pixel 5 tomorrow...

12. 28 Mar 2021 at 9:16 PM #92
    SimonH

SimonH Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    I actually pre set the HUD into one of the prest/favourite buttons, so I can just turn the HUD off completely at night if required, with just one press of a button. After using the M4 for a day, then handing it back, I really wanted another drive the day after, and that says quite a lot to myself :).

ScottBacon and DazC like this.
  13. 7 May 2021 at 8:46 AM #93
    F82 M4

F82 M4 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    Porsche Cayenne S
    Parathon, how is the car a few weeks in.
    Do you have the carbon seats? If so, where is the memory function now it’s not on the side of the seat.

is it on the door card?

14. 7 May 2021 at 2:35 PM #94
    parathon

parathon On the path

What're you driving?:
    2021 G82 M4 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    Sau Paulo/Silverstone
    Hi,
    Loving it. Really LOVING it..:D
    I have always liked the looks but I now think it is stunning and I love the colour. Yes, it is not subtle but then it is not really supposed to be a subtle car.
    I still find myself just looking at it....... (bit sad)

[​IMG]

As for living with it, I am surprised that it is easier to keep clean than I expected and the ceramic coating was well worth it.

As for driving, it is just awesome. It is so refined when driving "normally" and around town (please bear in mind I have had M3s for the last 20 odd years so I am very use to stiff suspension) it just great.
    The gear box is fantastic. In the smoothest settings both up and down shifts are great. When pushed it is plenty quick enough, and I certainly can't tell that it is slower than my previous DCT. I have been through SMG II and several DCTs and honestly, this is the best "middle ground"
    The steering is brilliant and one of the stand out differences for me. This is underpinned by the grip as well and you really feel these two coming together when you corner. Night and day with my previous F82 Comp.
    The engine feels next gen as well. I am still under the RIS so have not really pushed it hard (hard). It just pulls and pulls and such smooth delivery and no lag at all.
    The brakes are great (I have CCB) but if I am honest, they are not quite as good as the previous CCBs I had. I have tried sport setting for the brakes and it is definitely firmer but still not quite as before.... I have been told that CCBs need to bed in... we'll see.

The interior is also a big step up and a very nice place to be. If my wife can't find me in the house, she know to look in the car. I was nervous about the carbon bucket seats and they are still a bit tricky to get in and out of (I have developed a right hand role to get out), but they are so supportive and comfortable when driving; well worth it.
    And the seat memory buttons are on the door card, right behind the door opening handle....
    [Edit] Sorry I was talking rubbish - The seat memory function buttons are on the door card but below the door handle and back a bit. If you rest you arm on the arm rest (it is well named) as if you were going to lower/raise the windows the memory button are right by the side of your hand. Sorry about the mistake and hope you haven't ordered one under false pretences.. ;)

Spectacular car :D Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    xBox, Derekh929, ddowling01 and 6 others like this.
  15. 7 May 2021 at 2:41 PM #95
    F82 M4

F82 M4 Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    Porsche Cayenne S
    Thanks, sounds like it’s going well. Great stuff!

16. 7 May 2021 at 4:34 PM #96
    JohnM3E90

JohnM3E90 Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    2020 M5 Competition LCI
    Colour Combo:
    Donington Grey
    Nice car, CCB's do need a few miles to get set, my F90 M5 2018 took 200 miles before they were going well, next to no brake dust too.

17. 7 May 2021 at 4:54 PM #97
    Redman

Redman Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    Always looking

Good for you mate, I think the M4 looks really good, in any angle it has huge presence when I saw it in person for the first time. I walked around it about 6 times. It has many wow factors, so many cool design features. I know people may read this and think its crazy, but do go out and see it in person, I am sure they will agree soon enough.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    rchamps81 likes this.
  18. 7 May 2021 at 8:58 PM #98
    Jabba77

Jabba77 On the path

What're you driving?:
    BMW G82 M4 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    Sao Paolo/Black
    Great comments and amazingly similar to my own thoughts. I’m nearly 4000 miles in now, and have started thinking about my own car and what I would change if I specced another. This will probably change again by next week!

G80 or G82. Difficult one - I still think the M3 looks better, but prefer the drive of the coupe. I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Colour - love my SPY, and agree it is so easy to keep clean. I am not normally a fan of understated colours, but having seen a Dravit M4 now, I might be persuaded to change my mind. It looks unbelievably ‘hench’.

M Carbon Pack. No for me, but with a caveat. I love the looks on mine but am not sure they are great value. That said, I would spec the Carbon seats separately as they are so supportive,comfortable, and allow vital extra leg room in the back for the kids.

Comfort pack. Yes for me - suddenly pressing a button on a remote seems so difficult!

Visibility Pack. Nope - don’t think the laser lights are night and day different. They do look cool though.

Wheels - 826 Bicolour’s on mine and would not change for any of the other options.

Brakes - steel or carbon. Tried both and very little difference between them to be honest. Neither are ideal with slightly soft pedals. I think I would stick with my steels, but the CCB’s do look very cool.

RWD or AWD - the big dilemma. RWD all the way for me. I know the AWD is switchable but don’t think I would ever bother, and so would just carry the extra weight. Having driven through mid Wales in the early hours of the morning at minus 5, my car felt so balanced and predictable that I don’t feel it is needed. If it snows, I’ll work from home.

Glad you enjoying your car so much - it truly is a fantastic bit of kit.

parathon likes this.
  19. 8 May 2021 at 10:05 AM #99
    Trick97

Trick97 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2018 M4 CP LCI
    Colour Combo:
    Sakhir orange, silverstone
    Does the dab radio work without cutting out every 5 seconds? If so it’s a game changer :beer:

20. 8 May 2021 at 4:48 PM #100
    parathon

parathon On the path

What're you driving?:
    2021 G82 M4 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    Sau Paulo/Silverstone
    Interesting question but a good excuse for a drive. :D Given my age, I have been listening to U2 on Spotify (not allowed to play this in the house as it is rubbish apparently) and so not used the radio. Just been out for a test and it is indeed much better than my previous F82. So far not hit any dead spots (and there were quite a few round me).

Hope that helps and I will keep an eye (ear) on it....

Trick97 likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)