This government taking us all for mugs

ADL

Flexing a golden cincture
Jan 12, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Porsche Cayman GT4
9 parties and counting :muttley:

15 May: A photo from May 2020 showed the prime minister and his staff with bottles of wine and a cheeseboard in the Downing Street garden. When asked about it, Boris Johnson said, "those people were at work talking about work".

20 May: About 100 people were invited by email to "socially distanced drinks in the No 10 garden this evening". Witnesses told the BBC the PM and his wife were among about 30 people who attended. Boris Johnson has declined to say whether he was there.

13 November: Sources told the BBC that Downing Street staff members attended a gathering with Carrie Johnson in the flat where she and the prime minister live. A spokesman for Mrs Johnson denies the party took place.

27 November: A leaving event was held for No 10 aide, Cleo Watson, where people were drinking, and Mr Johnson made a speech, according to sources.

10 December: The Department for Education has confirmed it had an office gathering to thank staff for their work during the pandemic. It says drinks and snacks were brought by those who attended and no outside guests or support staff were invited.

14 December: The Conservative Party admitted an "unauthorised gathering" took place at its HQ in Westminster. It was held by the team of the party's London-mayoral candidate, Shaun Bailey, who has since stepped down as chair of the London Assembly police and crime committee.

15 December: Multiple sources have told the BBC there was a Christmas quiz for No 10 staff last year. A photo - published by the Sunday Mirror - shows Boris Johnson taking part and sitting between two colleagues in No 10. Mr Johnson has denied any wrongdoing.

16 December: The Department for Transport has apologised after confirming reports of a party in its offices, calling it "inappropriate" and an "error of judgment" by staff.

18 December: Downing Street originally denied a report by the the Daily Mirror that a party took place in Downing Street. However, a video obtained by ITV News showed the prime minister's then-press secretary Allegra Stratton, joking about reports of an event, saying: "This fictional party was a business meeting and it was not socially distanced."

Snowdog

Jul 27, 2011
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 M3
Colour Combo
TS/Black
9 parties and counting :muttley:

15 May: A photo from May 2020 showed the prime minister and his staff with bottles of wine and a cheeseboard in the Downing Street garden. When asked about it, Boris Johnson said, "those people were at work talking about work".

20 May: About 100 people were invited by email to "socially distanced drinks in the No 10 garden this evening". Witnesses told the BBC the PM and his wife were among about 30 people who attended. Boris Johnson has declined to say whether he was there.

13 November: Sources told the BBC that Downing Street staff members attended a gathering with Carrie Johnson in the flat where she and the prime minister live. A spokesman for Mrs Johnson denies the party took place.

27 November: A leaving event was held for No 10 aide, Cleo Watson, where people were drinking, and Mr Johnson made a speech, according to sources.

10 December: The Department for Education has confirmed it had an office gathering to thank staff for their work during the pandemic. It says drinks and snacks were brought by those who attended and no outside guests or support staff were invited.

14 December: The Conservative Party admitted an "unauthorised gathering" took place at its HQ in Westminster. It was held by the team of the party's London-mayoral candidate, Shaun Bailey, who has since stepped down as chair of the London Assembly police and crime committee.

15 December: Multiple sources have told the BBC there was a Christmas quiz for No 10 staff last year. A photo - published by the Sunday Mirror - shows Boris Johnson taking part and sitting between two colleagues in No 10. Mr Johnson has denied any wrongdoing.

16 December: The Department for Transport has apologised after confirming reports of a party in its offices, calling it "inappropriate" and an "error of judgment" by staff.

18 December: Downing Street originally denied a report by the the Daily Mirror that a party took place in Downing Street. However, a video obtained by ITV News showed the prime minister's then-press secretary Allegra Stratton, joking about reports of an event, saying: "This fictional party was a business meeting and it was not socially distanced."

Well collated.
No.
Smoke.
Without.
Fire.

Footnote…anyone interested and not watching the discussion taking place right now (1310) would do well to tune in

ADL

Jan 12, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Porsche Cayman GT4
Well collated.
No.
Smoke.
Without.
Fire.

Not me - bbc news. Government funded media so you can’t trust it… wait!? Umm. Never mind.

rsk21

Sep 13, 2015
Reaction score
Not me - bbc news. Government funded media so you can’t trust it… wait!? Umm. Never mind.

The thing about the Beeb is that it pisses off Gammons and loonyleftists alike

QED it must be doing something right :)

Reactions: ADL

lawsy

Dec 13, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2016 VW T6 180 & 2004 E46M3
funny thing , and I know this will sound mad, but I would pay them all a lot more, but and its a big but, the increased pay would come with a lot of conditions, i.e PM on a Mil a year, but this means no outside affiliations, no hospitality, no expenses claims to do up housing etc I think currently the there is an acceptance that these roles are not that highly paid and as a result a certain amount of additional income is to be expected.

I wonder if paying more, but setting much stronger standards would get a better candidate, rather than paying less but having unlimited options to fill your pockets
I agree wholeheartedly

DNX

Standard amice donned
Apr 2, 2015
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F90 M5
Poltiics is a funny old game mate and historically many of the most successful politicians have bene those who have done several, seemingly unrelated, jobs in the cabinet i.e. Been home sec, education sec and say Defence sec.

As a result they tend to get moved around on their ability to get things done/follow party line/appeal to the electorate in the role than any given direct experience - Pritti is a current very good example with her hard nosed persona being seen as right for Home sec with its police, crime and immigration issues.

The particular role which always fascinate she is that of Chancellor where we have people who haven't so much as bene the account payable clerk of the local builder's merchant tasked with balancing the books of one of the world's richest nations !

Behind the scenes in every dept are a whole host of people who actually do know their given subject inside out but the nature of govt is that their insights/recommendations/knowledge can easily be over ruled if the guy or girl in the big seat doesn't like it.

The issue here is that those with the brains and character of someone who would make a good PM are clever enough to sit in roles outside of the Govt and advise because they can earn much much more in that capacity without the scrutiny that a member of parliament, cabinet or PM would bring...

If they are clever enough they wouldn't want to go into front line politics as it doesn't pay enough in comparison to what they can earn advising ministers, companies, CEOs etc...

further in politics you are either on the way up and will get a senior post, but its only short lived until the pressure builds / public gets board / scandal happens / or the press have nothing else to write about...and then its all down hill - much more longevity behind the scenes and advising to companies and CEO's....let's face it, would any of you want to be in their (cabinet's) shoes?

Snowdog

Jul 27, 2011
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 M3
Colour Combo
TS/Black
The thing about the Beeb is that it pisses off Gammons and loonyleftists alike

QED it must be doing something right :)

Possibly, but the bit I don’t follow is what I perceive as a continuing downplay of events related to the government.

Bear in mind that there’s also been some shenanigans regarding certain appointments being screened on the basis of leanings....right wing or no entry.

Then...one reporter, Ros Atkins, has done some very incisive observation which has hardly been rose tinted and was a breath of fresh air.

The other bit I’ll not overlook are the thinly veiled threats made by certain MPs regarding funding, which worryingly echoes state controlled news of the 1930s under the direction of a certain J Goebbels.

toplad

Apr 18, 2011
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M3
Colour Combo
Grey, red interior
The other bit I’ll not overlook are the thinly veiled threats made by certain MPs regarding funding, which worryingly echoes state controlled news of the 1930s under the direction of a certain J Goebbels.
Are you really comparing the above to the rise of the Third Reich? :rolleyes:

Even for this thread, it's a stretch

M3Loon

Jan 15, 2012
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2004 BMW ///M3 SMG
Colour Combo
Suicide Black / Imola red napper
They’ve done nothing I wouldn't have done or did to be fair so I can’t condemn them, let he who is without sin cast the first stone :muttley:

CitizenKan

Wearing official robes
Jul 7, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2018 M4 Competition
Colour Combo
Mineral Grey / Black
They’ve done nothing I wouldn't have done or did to be fair so I can’t condemn them, let he who is without sin cast the first stone :muttley:

Yes but the difference is you are not the one making up and enforcing rules preventing people from doing those same things. It’s the hypocrisy of it that is the issue! They should 100% be entitled to have parties, etc., but so should everybody else.

If the people making the rules aren’t even following them, then what does that say about those rules.

fireblade1

Aug 17, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
G80 M3X and X5M50D
Colour Combo
Blacks, Reds and Whites
What’s the betting no answers tomorrow instead he will say it’s under investigation and he can’t interfere same as the bullish”t that’s done the rounds today, how fookin insulting again that he wouldn’t answer the question , there obviously hoping that this delaying tactic will give time for us all to forget about it AGAIN, the sooner this corrupt lying sociopath is out the better :mad:

E46Ash

Achieved official socks
Aug 30, 2019
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Megane 250
Just remember, the last time he was quizzed about parties at PMQs, new lockdown measures appeared

:lolwsign::suicide:

fireblade1

Aug 17, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
G80 M3X and X5M50D
Colour Combo
Blacks, Reds and Whites
Just remember, the last time he was quizzed about parties at PMQs, new lockdown measures appeared

:lolwsign::suicide:
Lol i remember being in disbelief at his cheek implementing measures on the same day that they had been caught ignoring there own rules (again) you could say he has no shame but on a more sinister note is it not the case that psychopath’s cannot feel compassion or empathy for others and don't Understand remorse :(

Mitch2.0

Jan 8, 2010
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E46 M3
Colour Combo
A mixture of brake dust, rubber pickup and dirt!
I do wonder if the lack of credible opposition is that no one is all that keen to preside over the current $hit show. Once the outlook is a bit less uncertain I suspect old Bojo will be out on his **** (and replaced by someone just as unscrupulous but with a better veneer no doubt).

Indeed, who else would want to put their head on the chopping board. Even if you were a scandal free PM, you’d still get lambasted right now because of the horror show that is Covid.

The smart money would be for someone to come in right around the time things are naturally on the up anyway, and then claim all the glory.

rsk21

Sep 13, 2015
Reaction score
Yes but the difference is you are not the one making up and enforcing rules preventing people from doing those same things. It’s the hypocrisy of it that is the issue! They should 100% be entitled to have parties, etc., but so should everybody else.

If the people making the rules aren’t even following them, then what does that say about those rules.

John Cauldwell seems to sum it up rather well here

“Although I have always obeyed the rules I have never been puritanical about lockdown restrictions so I find it difficult to personally get excited about an outdoor drinks party. But it's the perceived arrogance, hypocrisy and rule breaking that is impossible to justify.

While the rest of us were striving to follow the ever-changing rules - including myself, even when I deemed them to be excessive at best, nonsensical at worst - those who were setting those rules were, apparently freely and frequently, disregarding them.
"Each one of these new revelations gives greater force to the accusation that areas of the government think it's 'one rule for them, one rule for the rest of us.

This is disastrous."

stiggly

Feb 17, 2010
Reaction score
MP’s will loose their seats - it’s time to revolt and change the leader

Biggles

Jun 14, 2010
Reaction score
What're you driving?
X3 & Golf R
I‘m looking forward to PMQ’s tomorrow
They’ll be desperately trying to find a new variant tonight. Pi or Rho by lunchtime tomorrow, just watch!

Snowdog

Jul 27, 2011
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 M3
Colour Combo
TS/Black
Are you really comparing the above to the rise of the Third Reich? :rolleyes:

Even for this thread, it's a stretch
I'm 100% making that comparison, where political creep and biased/discriminatory views from the leadership are concerned.

I'm going to remind of a number of documented instances here, and if you feel they are not factual, or don't cause concern when considered as part of a broader view, I'd like to hear your rationale or how you excuse them.

I'll make one thing clear, of course I don't want that to happen, but we can't ignore some events and policies.
I'd rather be concerned now, and proven wrong later, than stick my head in the sand and regret it when it's too late.

The Third Reich didn't happen overnight, with a political build up and increased media control over many years, there's a clear similarity in methodology within some of the language and policies we've seen employed. It's fair to say that many of those around at that time didn't see it coming, particularly as media was much simpler back then. Control via slogans, propaganda, lies and censorship... newspapers first, then radio, which was their masterstroke in information control.
The original point I was raising was how Tory threats had been made against the BBC, Dorries I believe. If that's not a thinly veiled threat to deal with issues that are perceived not to be in line with party thinking, what is? If not, why was that threat made? What other purpose could it serve?

How far this lot intends to go is an unknown, but there are already many documented events and policies that don't sit well with me, in a world that should have put such things firmly behind us.

Let's start with Johnson, with quite a documented history of unpleasant remarks and actions about certain groups and nationalities. Where do we start? tank-topped bumboys? Muslim women letterboxes? piccaninnies and water-melon smiles? That's just off the top of my head. How about Myanmar? The attacks on "leftie" lawyers? There's plenty more.

The fact that Johnson has been unwilling to retract any of this stuff says a lot. Let's consider that any decent person making similar comments without somehow realising the impact of them, would sincerely retract them.

Not him, why? Tell me that. How is that excused?

It's clear he has had an agenda regarding EU nations. His role at The Times, where he began his crusade of sowing seeds of difference and division. The divisions sown via his backing of the leave campaign? The proposed bill to remove UK citizenship...without notice. How about right to protest via the policing bill? All the flag shagging. Yeah, they are all signs of a well balanced state, or state of mind, take your pick.

So what is it? Coincidence or design? Viewed in isolation they can sneak under the radar so to speak, but join the dots and some could argue there is a pattern or direction emerging.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.
Are they real? Yes.

Are they acceptable and do they suggest a concerning direction? Do we have a narcissistic megalomaniac at the helm?
You tell me, and explain why any of that is acceptable, because even the short list of issues I reference here are hardly progressive in thinking, not to me anyway, quite the opposite in fact.

Snowdog

Jul 27, 2011
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2002 M3
Colour Combo
TS/Black
They’ll be desperately trying to find a new variant tonight. Pi or Rho by lunchtime tomorrow, just watch!
Johnson's already had all the ...Pi's
Seriously though, most bets are on a positive LFT

Users who are viewing this thread