Thinking of getting a 1M

Discussion in '1M and M2' started by richardg, Aug 7, 2019.

1. 9 Aug 2019 at 10:48 AM #41
    artay1451

artay1451 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Bmw
    -

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    CarpeDiem likes this.
  2. 9 Aug 2019 at 1:06 PM #42
    ZeroFX

ZeroFX Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M2 Competition - DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Hockenheim Silver
    Not at carrying 4 people its not! Also who wants a 4 pot engine! Add the extras id need and you are talking about serious cost and the depreciation sucks! its notably worse than a M2c and you get less warranty and higher servicing costs!

big price to pay for marginal handling improvements which is the 1 area this car is not lacking.

3. 9 Aug 2019 at 1:09 PM #43
    CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Nothing
    But the cayman is a proper sports car, not a souped up 2 series?

/runs for the hills

ZeroFX and artay1451 like this.
  4. 9 Aug 2019 at 1:14 PM #44
    ZeroFX

Your Motor:
    M2 Competition - DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Hockenheim Silver
    Love it. Lol.

5. 14 Aug 2019 at 1:12 AM #45
    octaneman

octaneman Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2012 1M BSM. Csl BSM. M3 COMP
    Colour Combo:
    black/black

What are you talking about?
    The n54 engine is bomb proof..!
    What problems have you experienced with your 1M?
    I bought one new, fully loaded spec, Tuned it and ran it at 460/530 bhp/lbft for many many miles.
    I used it as a daily and a track/nurburgring toy.
    Granted, the extended warranty meant that it got treated to some turbo replacements and oem boost pipes arent fit for purpose but aftermarket hard pipes are cheap and readily available...
    The fact that they seem depreceation proof means they are a good car to try out.
    Yes you can buy more modern M cars for less but the 1M is a fun car to own and drive.
    Extend the BMW warranty and you wont have any costly issues to worry about..
    There isnt an engine or car made that the internet wont manage to bring up some dirt on..

OP, i'd listen to the owners of 1M's over some guy who's done his forum research. personally.. Theyre a good little M car and if you like the way they look and drive then go for it..

cheers Jamie

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    artay1451 likes this.
  6. 14 Aug 2019 at 6:18 AM #46
    ZeroFX

Your Motor:
    M2 Competition - DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Hockenheim Silver
    You are an example of 1 persons experience. The N54 is well known. You had 2 new turbos and a charge pipe which proves what you just said is actually wrong and that very fault was on the list I copied from a website dedicated to faults with the N54.

You have a much different interpretation of "bomb proof" than most do. I'd say my 3.0d engines that I put 250k accumulated miles over 3 different cars that didn't have 1 turbo or any other single problem other than 1 sticky injector are as you say "bomb proof"

Running a warranty on the N54 is mandatory because its a ticking time bomb waiting to give you 4 digit repair bills and the only thing stopping this being common on forums is the fact there is hardly any around in 1M guise and they don't do any miles. I can't even remember the last time I saw a e92 335i.. Hmm wonder why!

It's the only engine that has been the subject of a massive class action lawsuit in the States where the N54 is very common. It has a 10 year warranty on it over there. Its hardly forum research I was around when these things were being delivered in to dealships on the back of flatbeds because the HPFP had failed in the middle of the M6. So many had failed BMW couldn't get enough units to replace them and even then 2 or 3 would fail on the same car. Stories are about how people were on their 3rd or 4th HPFP. People were driving down the motorway and basically the dash would light up like a Christmas tree and the car would conk out at 80mph in the 3rd lane of the M6. No limp mode just dead.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. 14 Aug 2019 at 7:56 AM #47
    Retromlc

Retromlc Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 APLINE edt E92
    Colour Combo:
    White with a few carbon accents interior black/white trimmed
    My 325i HPFP went at 65k miles, the abs pump also went at 55k(under warranty) the fuel pump was out of warranty and had i known the early symptoms slow cranking start I might have dogged the £900 pat's bill, the swap over took 3 casual hours for my trained mechanical nephew I paid for his time. The engine was lovely even with a low 215 bhp, I avoided the turbo version as turbochargers are a guaranteed cost

8. 15 Aug 2019 at 12:53 AM #48
    octaneman

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    black/black

By bomb proof I was referring to the n54 engine itself.. I.e the block and internals... They're forged from the factory and with supporting mods can handle twice the power they left the factory with without being opened up..

As I said the chargepipes do fail but that's no reason to avoid them like the plague.. An aftermarket hard pipe can be bought for less than £100 and fitted in ten mins, granted £100 to a millennial is a quarter of their months car finance payment but to most it's not worth mentioning..

Turbo car owners used to have it drummed into them, how important it was to allow their oil temps to be optimised before being driven under load and then cooled down before turning them off- thankfully, turbo tech has come on leaps and bounds since then but it's still important to let everything warm up and cool down properly- I may have been guilty of abusing mine on occasion, whilst also running more boost than bmw intended, therefore i took advantage of the manufacturers warranty and had mine replaced..

No hpf issues which I put down to never running the fuel down to near empty...
    No wastegate issues, The original clutch still going strong at nearly 60k despite running 530lbfts..

The headlights are bespoke to the 1M and look totally unique compared to all other 1 series.

Too the non car lovers, the 1er coupe maybe confused as just a 1 series but from an owners perspective it's way more of a drivers car than an M2..

Hence why car journalists still rate it so highly..
    It was voted "car of the year" by topgear magazine back in 2011
    Chris Harris owns one, as do the other current topgear presenters..

Theres a few guys running over 750bhp 1M's with a host of mods but still oem internals.. (bombproof!)

Bottom line, all cars have issues but the n54 is a good strong engine and 1M's are a special ///M car.

Not many people buy them with the intention of racking up 250k miles.

I put my car through its paces as a daily and a track/sprint car and had few issues with it..

I did carry out more fluid changes than the handbook recommends but that's only fair seeing as it was used on track days and the occasional competitive sprint.

Therefore, I'm happy to recommend one as a good car to own and enjoy, then sell on without losing much money..

Something that cant be said of Any ///M car released since..

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    artay1451 and wivvy 03 like this.
  9. 15 Aug 2019 at 2:28 AM #49
    Rocketeer

Rocketeer Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 CABRIOLET
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/grey with grey and extra grey!(and some grey in the boot too!)
    Buy the 1M. Take it from me and the other 1M owners...... it’s something you will absolutely love owning. And from what I can see, now is a good time to buy as I think they have bottomed out in price. Not they were ever cheap but it’s the best 35k+ you will spend and it’s a safe bet in that you will either get your money back or you may even make a profit. I’m always being asked if mines for sale, and “take my number in case you ever decided to sell”. I’ve been taking people’s numbers for years for my cars and I still have all of them! JUST BUY THE 1M AND BE A MEMBER OF A VERY EXCLUSIVE CLUB! :welcome2: If you’re that lucky to be able to afford it then I wish you the best of luck but, I’m sure I speak for all of us....... don’t forget to post up the pictures!!!! :thumbsup:

Swanny, 123dan, artay1451 and 2 others like this.
  10. 16 Aug 2019 at 11:19 AM #50
    artay1451

artay1451 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Bmw
    Totally agree with what you said.

11. 19 Aug 2019 at 6:37 PM #51
    Swanny

Swanny Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Current:1M & 130i Ex:E90 M3 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Black & Black
    As above - it’s a very special car, you are highly unlikely to regret buying one. I certainly don’t even though prices dipped a little so now is a good time to buy.
    It’s almost as much fun as the Exige V6 it replaced but much more useable (so I get more fun out of it) and much cooler IMO.

12. 20 Aug 2019 at 4:49 PM #52
    Johnny1987

Johnny1987 Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 DCT Competition Pack
    Colour Combo:
    Frozen Grey / Black
    Theres a nice one on sale at Munich Legends, saw it on their site yesterday. Priced around 43k so not too bad considering there are a few on there closer to 60k

13. 21 Aug 2019 at 9:51 AM #53
    Tin

Tin Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    ///1 CSL & a few others..
    They're great cars, N54 is fine, better tuning capabilities of the N55, if tuning is your thing.

As with most things, cars are full of lots of different components and built/made to a price/spec etc. Things fail, but don't let that put you off, being a few years old now, alot will have things covered/recalls etc..and its cheap for aftermarket replacement bits.
    upgraded turbos can be around £1500 etc.

14. 24 Aug 2019 at 12:47 AM #54
    octaneman

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    black/black
  15. 24 Aug 2019 at 2:57 AM #55
    Rocketeer

Rocketeer Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 CABRIOLET
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/grey with grey and extra grey!(and some grey in the boot too!)
    As long as you don’t look at the Gialo yellow Ferrari F430 spider they have for sale there. What a piece of shite!!! :lolwsign:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)