The usual Insurance renewal annoyance

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Roofer, Feb 5, 2020.

1. 5 Feb 2020 at 9:06 PM #1
    Roofer

Roofer Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    F83 M4 Comp Pack
    Mail through from LV, “ We will be renewing your insurance on your M4 on the 27th, £870”

:mad:

Errrm, no, you won’t. Usual compare site bollox, gets it to £480, when the missus pipes up, what about Aviva, we have home insurance with them and they do some sort of joint thing.

£360 ! :dance: Where the fekk LV got £870 from defeats me :blink:

Dali likes this.
  2. 5 Feb 2020 at 9:36 PM #2
    Dali

Dali Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    nothing
    It the "auto-renewal" thing that f**ks me right off.

I make sure that bastard is always turned off ... because as in your case, when it comes to renewal time they'll probably try it on - charging twice as much. I'd rather save myself the hassle of having to call them just to not to auto-renew.

That said, there was a time when the renewal was pretty good compared to comparison sites, having auto-renewal on that policy would have been a time saver. It rarely works out in your favour though.

3. 5 Feb 2020 at 9:55 PM #3
    Lofty

Lofty Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    F-Type R AWD
    It’s all a bit weird this insurance malarkey. I used More Than for years, no one could get near them on price, now they are miles out, same with Direct Line, they were great for me for the last few years now they are no where near. None of my circumstance have changed and the cars are all similar, Aviva are pretty good for me at the moment too.

4. 5 Feb 2020 at 10:10 PM #4
    Moonstone

Moonstone Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2018 RS5
    Its mental at the moment. I was with Aviva last year and for the last 3. This year £1280 for both cars. Best quote via price comparison around £1000. Back to Aviva as a new customer on their Aviva Plus product - £600! Bonkers.

5. 5 Feb 2020 at 10:20 PM #5
    reeceybeaney

reeceybeaney Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Manual/EDC
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite Metallic/Novillo Fox Red
    So... as a loyal customer we'll raise your insurance to twice as much as you could get it for :)
    Wonder how many don't bother with comparison sites and just fall for it!

6. 5 Feb 2020 at 10:21 PM #6
    mjn

mjn Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2011 E90 335D
    Colour Combo:
    Azurite Black with Oyster Leather.
    It’s not just your circumstances though. It is also the area around you. There may have been more breakins / car thefts of your model / speeders of your age group / etc. This can all count against you. It’s all a statistics game.

7. 6 Feb 2020 at 8:20 AM #7
    BigAl

BigAl Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Fox red with a Schwarz2 colour change. Jerez sucks!
    Insurance is ridiculous. I had to claim on my work fleet insurance in 2018 for an "at fault" (not me personally) front end costing £4500 to repair, there were no others involved. Last years premium went up by £2500!

I never thought I might be in a situation whereby I might think its better to pay for such a repair myself, than claim on the insurance. :rolleyes:

8. 6 Feb 2020 at 8:35 AM #8
    tej

tej Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    TVR Cerbera 4.5
    Keep a reminder in your phone to do some comparison quotes 4 weeks+ before your policy ends - A lot of insurers send you renewal docs upto 2 weeks before to give you less time to think about it.

When you do a quote, the farther ahead of time its done, the cheaper the quote. Also, don't forget the old gotcha where its cheaper to insure your cars on the street than drive, and cheaper to insure it on the drive than garage - A lot of people claim drive or garage thinking its cheaper even though they chop and change between street and driveway.

Another thing, try to do as few quotes as possible. The more you re-quote, the more expensive they become. Someone i know tends to use a neighbors address for initial quotes (trying to find the cheapest combo of value/mileage/job title etc), then gets a fresh quote in his own name when hes ready to buy it - bit cheeky on the neighbour though.

9. 6 Feb 2020 at 9:33 AM #9
    Dek

Dek Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3 Individual Convertible,AC Cobra replica, 1990 Toyota Celica convertible, 2016 430i
    Colour Combo:
    Mora Purple/Cream white.
    I found out through a cyclist hitting me that even though you pay for a repair yourself you must still notify your insurance company. Apparently the algorithm they use to assess risk shows that if your involved in a no fault accident you’re more likely to be involved in a fault accident..apparently. The same as if you leave getting a quote to the last minute you’re less organised and, therefore, more likely to be involved in an accident..apparently. And the premiums will be higher. The ideal time to get a quote is 20-26 days before the policy expires. Don’t know how this fits in with the auto renew hikes because you would think that would be the ultimate in being organised, 1 year in advance. But there is no advantage in being loyal to one insurance company. New customers get the best deals as do on-line customers. I’ve had to cancel a policy in the past and re-apply on line to get a better price. I’ve put three cars on a multi vehicle policy with LV for simplicity and to coincide the renewal dates but I’m getting worried now they will hike the price because it will be impossible to dissect the individual cost. Minefield out there but the lesson is don’t auto renew and shop around.

10. 6 Feb 2020 at 10:17 AM #10
    Tetney

Tetney Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Titan Silver/Black
    You have to remember that there are a lot of people who don't think twice and just renew. Its these people that the insurers count on and I guess they can get away with it in a lot of cases.

11. 6 Feb 2020 at 10:56 AM #11
    Dek

Dek Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW M3 Individual Convertible,AC Cobra replica, 1990 Toyota Celica convertible, 2016 430i
    Colour Combo:
    Mora Purple/Cream white.
    Yes laziness rules in some cases!

12. 9 Feb 2020 at 7:46 PM #12
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    What annoys me is that many insurance companies aren’t even posting the renewel to you anymore
    They email you- and auto renewing if you don’t reply!

I had my wife’s auto-renew that way this year
    And also the AA I went mental and got it refunded (AA) (they wanted....£620 a year!!!)

Cheeky feekers!!!

13. 10 Feb 2020 at 9:34 PM #13
    Banksie

Banksie Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M4CP
    If you don’t mind me asking, What age are you and what excesses are on the policy?

14. 11 Feb 2020 at 9:25 AM #14
    Roofer

Roofer Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    F83 M4 Comp Pack
    57 , £250 + £500

15. 11 Feb 2020 at 9:53 AM #15
    Banksie

Banksie Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M4CP
    Thanks, I’m 53 and getting £507 with £350 and £100. That’s with Admiral and I’ve got no other policies with them, so probably about right!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)