The Benchmark - Project E46 M3 (or also known as omg what have I done)

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by Benchmark, Sep 11, 2017.

1. 14 Sep 2017 at 9:55 PM #41
    rusticm3

rusticm3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Imola Red
    I was hoping for this like a real hands on doing everything on the car even body work

2. 14 Sep 2017 at 10:54 PM #42
    Benchmark

Benchmark Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    1 Of 1 E46 M3 - Marrakesh Brown
    Colour Combo:
    Unique... Lets Put It That Way!
    I try to get my hands in but I am clumsy and get in the way.
    I can proudly say I screwed in the front shock mounts.... but of course nobody filmed that as I am a lone camera man!

3. 14 Sep 2017 at 10:59 PM #43
    Benchmark

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Well I had a horrid day, I was just out to fix my rear light that I broke installing the coilovers and this happened:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZBNEiAj8bd/

Full story below, it was REALLY bad and REALLY dangerous, lucky nobody was hurt,
    I also stand by my comments at BMW, I am not pleased with them right now:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZBg0EmjwA9/

This has delayed all the bodywork fixes by a month :mad:

4. 15 Sep 2017 at 12:08 AM #44
    rusticm3

rusticm3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 BMW E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Imola Red
    So what actually happened?, symptoms? Just randomly threw you out of gear? When mine started doing that it turned out to be the indent springs. But i could still drive it as long as i changed gear at low revs.

Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

5. 15 Sep 2017 at 12:23 AM #45
    7DT

7DT Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    I'd not be worried about bodywork until everything else is sorted, i ended up doing bodywork once RACP/suspension etc had all been replaced/refreshed. Figured better to spend on the things that'll become horrific bills if not prevented before doing cosmetic stuff.

In fact, i actually had my cosmetic plan when i bought the car, then found all the horrors that were hidden beneath. Apart from the racp being a death trap (gosling racing has the old ones as a "demo" of how bad it can get)

i've now got to the stage of the interior being almost done, apart from some wiring, and the bodywork now being awesome (although i scraped the bumper tonight, so that's a weekend project fix, sigh)

i've had the SMG do weird things when it gets hot, but never catastrophically fail like that. It really should just stay in gear and not plunge into neutral, agreed. good thing everything is ok!

6. 15 Sep 2017 at 12:25 AM #46
    7DT

7DT Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    also, how the hell did you break a rear light installing coiolvers, doid you throw them at the car untill they magically flew into place? :muttley:

7. 15 Sep 2017 at 12:43 AM #47
    ASONI

ASONI Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3 / SMG / COUPE
    Colour Combo:
    Imola Red / Black Heated Nappa Leather
    Not being funny mate but when you (what seems like purposely) buy the cheapest/crappest m3 on sale, it's hardly surprising something major has gone wrong with it.

If it helps, someone was selling a used smg pump literally the other day for about £600, from a very low mileage car so might be worth checking the for sale ads!

And if you went with £400 motor option, i think its pretty straight forward to fit so shouldn't be tons of labour involved.

8. 15 Sep 2017 at 10:46 AM #48
    MWagon

MWagon Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M Touring
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/Black
    Bought cheap M3 with lots of expensive things to fix.....
    :thumbsup:

9. 15 Sep 2017 at 3:36 PM #49
    bennn

bennn Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Really?

I've watched four now and found it very boring. Was hoping to see some work getting done on it but four episodes in the closest we've seen to that was a trip to the tyre shop.

10. 15 Sep 2017 at 7:03 PM #50
    PauleyG

PauleyG Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2003 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titty silver / Vag red
    Yeah, I've been waiting for the events that unfolded this week . Slightly evil perhaps, but at £6k this was always going to be too good to be true. Don't wish ill on the guy, but it's clear it won't be an easy ride...

11. 15 Sep 2017 at 8:09 PM #51
    Benchmark

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    No this has been a rough ride, I'm sorry the hardcore episodes are not up but you have to appreciate getting the car booked in and being available to film is something very tricky to manage, but I do try.

So here are 2 new videos, first one is about my #****youbmw which behind the scenes caused some high horse condescending messages from 'one of the YouTube clan' on a whatsapp group. Burning bridges I am apparently... well maybe I don't want to walk on your bridge. :cool:

I stand by what I said, BMW have become greedy c*nts with the £3k for the pump (they used to be fairly reasonable)

https://youtu.be/dPsC-x9r_tQ

Warning this is purely me talking to the camera about what happened, at 7am before I had my coffee.... if you want cars and action don't watch it. Its merely me thanking whoever was looking out for me that morning and also why I shared #****youbmw with 6700+ people on Instagram :D

This video below however is a little more up your street, the car gets a check over and we install new Bilstein dampers. I have pictures and a review, but I will add those later as I am very tired and want to just relax for the rest of the evening as its been a stressful day with my mothers condition.

https://youtu.be/jaeWkK4-LUg

I will have some real in depth stuff coming up in October, in the mean time I'm listening to Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush to help lower the stress :eek:

12. 15 Sep 2017 at 8:11 PM #52
    Caveman

Caveman Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 Convertible, 1995 993 C4 & 2010 530D
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black/ Black / Black
    Subscribed! Hopefully there is some upside somewhere with this car?

13. 15 Sep 2017 at 8:31 PM #53
    Caveman

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    I briefly toyed with getting a £6k car but a few cars and inspections later and that idea was off the table. Moved up to £8/£9k and found cars with the same £3k/£4k potential repair bills. These cars can eat money. Your series is a great warning to all potential buyers.

14. 15 Sep 2017 at 8:45 PM #54
    Benchmark

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Heres the annoying thing, I took a huge gamble and if you see the latest video, the car is in amazing condition with very little wrong.

Subframe has been welded/fixed
    Vanos has been upgraded
    Barely any corrosion

Only problem we found at the time was the diff seal is leaking, but that can be sorted its not urgent.

My SMG just ***** the bed with no warning at high speed, could of happened to any M3....... but no it happened to mine.
    So originally I actually scored a brilliant car for the money and I was so happy when I drove away that day after the Bilstein install.

The SMG will be repaired with an uprated pump that's stronger and faster so no worries for 100k+.
    The conrod bearings will be done too along with the diff.
    My living room is littered with bushes, a new Bosch MAF and various other bits.
    This car will be utterly perfect mechanically and cosmetically.
    It will want for nothing...... just 2 months behind schedule.:(

15. 15 Sep 2017 at 8:48 PM #55
    Caveman

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    I noticed the Vanos looked quite clean. Why did you go with an SMG given they are known to be a bit more of a risk at the low price end?

16. 16 Sep 2017 at 1:38 PM #56
    Benchmark

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Because I don't have a friend who can sit behind me to whack the back of my head with a piece of wood when I change gear :D

I just love the SMG, it feels aggressive and IMO makes the M3 unique.
    Was fully aware of all the problems and checked the car thoroughly and even had a Salmon relay in the glove box... just in case.

17. 16 Sep 2017 at 4:25 PM #57
    bennn

bennn Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Sprint Blue / Black
    Manuals seem to command a premium over SMG so the cheapest cars on the market usually are SMG

18. 16 Sep 2017 at 5:30 PM #58
    Caveman

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    That makes sense. What you have to keep reminding yourself with any premium car once it gets cheap is that it can fall into the hands of someone that wants to pose but cannot afford the upkeep so stuff either gets bodged, pattern parts get used or things get delayed and not done. Before you know there are £000's of bit of work. It always come back to does the owner still "love" that car or is the latest issue just something that they'll punt on to the next unsuspecting mug. Hence, crap tyres, knackered brakes, worn bushes, clonky drive trains, broken exhausts, corroded brake lines, body corrosion sprayed over, dings, scratches, etc, etc. That's why you soon see multiple owners and lots of repeated MOT failures/ advisories.

Having said that one car I looked at had been solely serviced by BMW with thousands of pounds of receipts but when we dug further we found pattern wishbones, disks fitted on the wrong sides and advisories ignored from BMW. Turned out he was farming out replacement stuff to his village mechanic who was sourcing any old crap parts.

19. 16 Sep 2017 at 7:33 PM #59
    Benchmark

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Cannot fault what you have said here, you are bang on.
    I can vouch for this car being a rare example of having mostly loving owners who have spent a cosmic fortune over the 15 years it has been on the road.

Its just 1 or 2 owners who luckily only owned it for a short period judging by the invoices that did the cheap mods and I had that addressed instantly.

Its a funny thing with these special (performance... however you want to phrase it) cars, the first owner is usually a person who lives in a posh estate... then fast forward 10 years and its on the street outside some high rises (not making judgements here) with 21" wheels, blue headlights and cheap coil-overs.
    But then someone comes along and rescues it, restores it and it becomes a treasure again.... in the case of the 911s also now worth a cosmic fortune (they were 5k-10k in 2004 for a late 70s model!)

This car will not be 100% factory original, but the parts it will have will be either OEM or better than OEM. No tat :thumbsup:

20. 18 Sep 2017 at 11:05 AM #60
    TouringRob

TouringRob Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3 Touring
    Sorry it broke down - but whats actually broken, your pictures and description don't actually give much away? Other than you nearly died but we have no clue as to why???

Tell the whole story. I suspect you might be doing it like this for dramatic effect, but for a reader/viewer its just annoying (polite heads up not a dig).

I've gathered from reading other posts that its SMG related. Talk to Harry Fairburn (think thats the correct sp) A BMW on here who gives great discounts, think it brings the price back down to £1400ish - but it might just be the pump motor or accumulator, or gear position sensor or even a bonnet switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)