Supercharging the s54 for pure track use

Discussion in 'Engine maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by Tris, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 10 Jan 2017 at 9:23 AM #1
    Tris

Tris Achieved official socks

I need more power in the track car, I have bought myself an s54 and I am currently pricing up both cams, pistons airbox for circa 400bhp or supercharging for circa 500bhp.

Supercharging seems the cheaper and favourable option so far but does anyone have any experience with supercharging the s54 for pure track use? Is it a good idea? Or am I going to spend my 9/10ths of the day cooling the car down?

I want good reliable power so I would rather have less power and be able to stay out longer than go mad for three laps then spend an hour cooling the car down....

Any input welcome :eek:

2. 10 Jan 2017 at 10:16 AM #2
    Empower

Empower Achieved official socks

Go for it, youll be amazed what a little boost on the S54 will do... ive got the ESS 550 kit and holy **** the car is fast, and ive got a heavy ass vert

3. 10 Jan 2017 at 10:27 AM #3
    Tris

How is the flash map on the ESS kit? Was the whole thing as simple as just bolting it in, loading the map and forget about it?

4. 10 Jan 2017 at 11:09 AM #4
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Achieved official socks Sponsor

Have you done any track days in it yet? Any temperature issues?

Personally, I wouldn't go for it, especially if you are like me and love staying out for 20-30 minutes on track at a time. Might be ok in winter, but summer time, i feel sorry enough for my car as it is, to ask it to overheat even more.

Also, you dont want the fastest car on track, you want to be the fastest on track. ;)

5. 10 Jan 2017 at 11:17 AM #5
    Tris

You have the same thinking as me. I do French tack days and they get silly hot sometimes for my N/A engine without throwing the added load and intake temp of a supercharger.

Ha, take a look at my build thread and videos:)

If I decided to go the cam/piston route instead does anyone have any experience with any cam duration in the s54? My current engine runs near as dammit 350bhp so I need at least 400bhp before I bother fitting this new one....

6. 10 Jan 2017 at 9:50 PM #6
    Empower

My intake temps went from average 33 DEGREES WITH CF AIRBOX to now 14 degrees with the SC.

ESS MAP is very very good, and i also did the install myself.. if youre normal handy with some basic handtools you can do it, it just takes a bit of time... ( atleast longer then the manual says 6-8 hours) i think ive did everything in around 18 hours on/off/drinking/checking things etc..

Was it worth the money? of fking yes!! i was mega bored with the car/performance.. now you can play with the big boys :thumbsup:

Lots and lots of SC trackcars, get a motorsport thermostat and maybe do some upgrades in the coolingsystem and youll be just fine..:thumbsup: BYE BYE GT3s on the straights :D

7. 10 Jan 2017 at 10:02 PM #7
    mocha99

mocha99 Achieved official socks

Hi I am running the ESS vt2 500 kit, with mishimoto radiator, fan,and Motorsport thermostat and I struggle to get 4 laps in at snetterton, on a hot day.

The map is fine, it works well with my kit.

8. 10 Jan 2017 at 10:06 PM #8
    Tris

This is the kinda info I need. So no chance of a 20 minute session then?

9. 10 Jan 2017 at 10:13 PM #9
    mocha99

mocha99 Achieved official socks

I've not managed it over the summer. I have had some issues, head gasket , vanos and coil pack issues. I have kept my air-conditioning which does restrict air flow.

Hope to find a solution this year. I've also changed the water pump but no joy.

10. 10 Jan 2017 at 10:36 PM #10
    Empower

11. 11 Jan 2017 at 6:13 AM #11
    PolarisCSL

PolarisCSL Achieved official socks

470bhp is possible n/a if you get a proper engine builder on the case. It just depends on what you want from the car. It's not just a question of picking cams, it's the combination of all the key components that gets the power out the s54. It is possible to get over 400 and a big increase in torque without cams by doing be bottom end right. Clearly the further you go and he harder you drive it the more you limit the race hours before it will need a rings and shells refresh. Forget any of the standard lift cams - they are all pointless

12. 11 Jan 2017 at 9:06 AM #12
    Tris

Thanks bud,

I have been chatting to Wayne Schofield and Wes from West Suffolk racing and we have come to a similar conclusion that unless I am willing to go big with the cams I may as well stick to standard as Wayne regularly sees 480-490BHP from a standard motor fitted with one of these bad boys

[​IMG]

It's not a massive gain over my engine so changing motor for 30bhp seems a bit pointless but Wes does tell me that the power delivery is so much better from the S54 that I will notice a big difference....

13. 11 Jan 2017 at 9:14 AM #13
    PolarisCSL

I think you mean 380/390bhp..! but yes I think thats spot on.

14. 11 Jan 2017 at 9:37 AM #14
    Tris

:roflmao:Yes 380-390!

So the big question is. Which do I go for? Roy at CA is trying to convince me that I won't have much of an overheating issue with the ESS supercharger kit as long as I do a few essential bits like the motorsport thermostat

A standard s54 with an airbox is way cheaper but I'm not convinced that it's going to make enough difference to satisfy me.

There is also the LS conversion but after chatting to dynotorque yesterday this is going to be by far the most expensive option as it's all custom parts.

15. 11 Jan 2017 at 9:42 AM #15
    PolarisCSL

Hard to say - I know Craig well and he has done much of the fab work on my M3. I will get him to make me an LS road car some time for sure.

Why not go to a track day when Ripper is there and you will see what a light Supercharged car is all about. I'm a big fan of N/A but thats partly due to me racing and wanting to be eligible for as many different series as possible.

Proper airbox:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

16. 11 Jan 2017 at 9:51 AM #16
    Tris

Wow that box is a work of art!

Who's Ripper? I live in Jersey so joining him for a track day is not really cost affective....

17. 11 Jan 2017 at 9:58 AM #17
    PolarisCSL

Ripper46 on here

18. 11 Jan 2017 at 10:13 AM #18
    Tris

Thanks mate, I have pm'd him.

19. 11 Jan 2017 at 10:48 AM #19
    Empower

I guess you have never driven a sced S54 right? Its just as lineair power as a normal S54, just lots more power.
    throttleresponse is better, mid range torque is much better... the whole ///M character of the engine is NOT changed, it just feels that they put the V10 from the M5 in there..

I had CF airbox before, loved the sound.. but performance wise? come on!!!! i have a heavy ass vert, if blows the doors of V8 M3s.. walks my friends M6 from 100 mph likes theres no tomorrow.

Easy choice if you ask me..

20. 11 Jan 2017 at 11:14 AM #20
    PolarisCSL

I have an N/A s54 that doesn't struggle with v8's so there is more than one way of skinning a cat... just depends on how you prefer to go and how much you want to spend!