Stormforce Cover Review

Discussion in 'General maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by chrisgreen, Apr 30, 2020.

1. 30 Apr 2020 at 10:29 AM #1
    chrisgreen

chrisgreen Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow/ Kiwi
    Hi All,

Just thought i'd do a little review on the car cover i've been using since lockdown. I bought my E92 literally 3 days before the lockdown (yes i know good timing!!) and with my E46 in my garage the new motor had to sit on the drive. Initially it didn't bother me having it sat outside but with kids next door cycling very close to it (shared driveway) and general outdoor life - bird poo, dust, rain spots, etching etc i decided to invest in a car cover.

Part of the reason for writing this was because i was deliberating for ages about whether to get one. Having read all the posts across the internet about potential marring etc it initially scared me off but then after weighing the risk of light scratches which could be polished out vs other damage from not being covered i took the plunge.

The cover i went for was cover-zone storm force - waterproof, 4 layer and breathable - specifically made for the E92. I ordered on monday and it came by tuesday - even during lockdown!

I made sure the car was absolutely spotless before putting the cover on and pleased to say i have taken it on and off several times since and can report no paint damage whatsoever. They recommend to take on and off once a week to check for condensation of which there isn't any. Also with the very mixed weather we've had it been quite a good test of it - wind, rain, heat, sun and a bit of frost! It dries out very quickly following rain too.

In a way it's better than the garage as it doesn't get dusty so if i want to get the machine polisher out you can always work on clean panels!

The only thing you do have to watch out for is the plastic fastener which clips in the straps underneath. For this reason its best to have two people fit it so these don't drag along the paint when you're pulling the cover down or along the car.

Anyway i know you guys like pics so here you are - i just wanted to write the review that car covers aren't as bad as the internet makes out - but you do have to be sensible with them. i.e. i wouldn't fit them on anything other than a spotless car. Yes there are other non contact solutions such as the carcoon which is more than double the price and requires a power source but for £180ish i would highly recommend. Hopefully you've found this useful.

the bottom pic is actually a video but you have to click on it to work

[​IMG]Car cover by Christopher Green, on Flickr

[​IMG]Cover clip by Christopher Green, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    74FIL31 likes this.
  2. 30 Apr 2020 at 10:40 AM #2
    harrypevo

harrypevo Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    I bought one for my e30, the fit was horrendous, looked like a giant bin bag had been draped over it despite supposedly being tailored and checking several times that they'd sent the right model.

In the end I used it because the old one had started to fall to bits.

Within 6months it had crumbled and ripped to shreds. The £50 universal cover I bought from Halfords a couple of years previously was better in every way.

suraj likes this.
  3. 30 Apr 2020 at 10:43 AM #3
    chrisgreen

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow/ Kiwi
    i'm sure there's a lot of rubbish out there as there is with all car related products - just posting based on my experience and if anyone- like me was concerned after reading all the internet scaremongering. :)

4. 30 Apr 2020 at 11:30 AM #4
    tej

tej Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    TVR Cerbera 4.5
    I had a storm force for my previous cerbera but it managed to let water under it.. I swapped it for a monsoon and it worked well.. Must have used it for a year and a half before I sold the car so it was used in all weather's incl high winds. As long as you pull the straps tight it stops the cover flapping and my paint work remained perfect.

I used the car at least once a week and it was always cleaner than my current car in the garage which gets dusty..

I would always dust the car off with quick detailer and a microfiber before putting the cover on and with the heavy coats of wax the dust from driving would often just blow off anyway.

I only used the car in the dry, but it was annoying after it rained as you'd need to dry the cover before putting it on.

Ironically I found a lot of the chassis stayed dryer with an outdoor cover (still lots of air movement under the car) than in the garage (not much air movement) where wet parts can stay wet for days.

Fit was excellent as well btw. I bought a generic Halfords one for the e92 and the fit wasn't amazing but I only used that for indoor. Wouldn't use it outdoors as I'd be scared of air getting under and flapping around.

Oh and lastly, I found another big benefit was that you don't get grime build up in nooks and crannies like you do when the car gets dirty/dusty and then rained on. Especially around boot and bonnet crevices and hinges etc.

74FIL31 and chrisgreen like this.
  5. 1 May 2020 at 4:42 AM #5
    TATI

TATI On the path

What're you driving?:
    2004 M3 Man. & 2001 325ci
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Velvet Blue Black & Cream
    i bought one 2 -3 years ago for e46 m3 - fitted very well - but it started to flake up on the inside and did not do the paint work any favours - i dont know how they get it to fit in the bag it came in, now got the garage sorted and its now inside. i am looking for a dust cover for indoor use and looking for reommendations

6. 1 May 2020 at 8:13 AM #6
    chrisgreen

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow/ Kiwi
    what do you mean didn’t do the paint any favours? Did you put it on a dirty car?

7. 1 May 2020 at 8:18 AM #7
    TATI

TATI On the path

What're you driving?:
    2004 M3 Man. & 2001 325ci
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Velvet Blue Black & Cream
    no mate - its not what i would call soft inside - as it was on for 2 month while i was away - ended up getting car machined polished due to scuffing on roof posts and doors - if some one asked me if i would recommned it then the answer would be no.

8. 2 May 2020 at 8:45 PM #8
    74FIL31

74FIL31 Rocking a new hat

What're you driving?:
    06 SMG Vert
    Colour Combo:
    SG/ IR
    I've had a storm force on mine for 6 years, no problems what so ever other than it is starting to perish very very slightly on the rear, which after six years I'm not complaining, actually just looking for a new one, hence why I came across this thread in the search option, pretty sure someone was selling one not so long ago.

chrisgreen likes this.
  9. 3 May 2020 at 3:02 AM #9
    harrypevo

harrypevo Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    This is the one they sold me as supposedly tailored for an e30. It started flaking to bits like the person above mentioned theirs had.
    [​IMG]
    As said, I'd never buy another off them even if they were better fitting for other models.

This was a cheap Halfords cover which was a far better fit and lasted a lot longer
    [​IMG]

10. 3 May 2020 at 1:45 PM #10
    tej

tej Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    TVR Cerbera 4.5
    Wow, that's shocking!

Both the storm force and monsoon covers on the Cerbera were a really great tight fit.

Your cover looks like it was made for an estate car!

11. 9 May 2020 at 6:14 PM #11
    F80m3lloyd

F80m3lloyd On the path

What're you driving?:
    2016 BMW M3
    I don’t have a garage, so opted for a cover.

After lots of research, I went with a company called classic additions, their “ultimate outdoor cover”. F80 m3 specific.

long story short it is an amazing piece of kit. It’s fabric is far closer to a wet suit material, the fit is excellent, it’s not a custom fit but might as well be. Super soft and skin tight!

Very happy overall, having used covers of varying quality over the years I have learned some rules of use, which I recommend anyone considering a cover should follow.

Rule 1 (most important) make sure the car is cleaned prior to any fitting. This means even if your car is clean and you drive a mile up the road and come back, you need to clean again before covering!

Rule 2 always go for custom fit or as close as possible, and utilise the fastening straps.

I think a cover is a great option to protect our pride and joy’s. Unfortunately, misuse or a bad fit has tarnished their reputation. Which is why googling car covers brings up so many negative experiences.

I had a Halfords one too which to be fair wasn’t all bad considering the price.

Highly recommend Classic Additions

regards

Ashley

chrisgreen likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)