Stone's e46 M3 CSL Replica "The money pit project" 80% complete

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by TheBiker, May 11, 2018.

1. 10 Apr 2021 at 6:21 PM #181
    TheBiker

TheBiker Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    E46 + E92 M3 + RS Clio + 748SP + RC8 + GSXR K6, RS250
    Ohlins coilover height adjustment & oil service

As mentioned in the previous fitting post I wasn't happy with the "stance" of the car following Ohlins base height setting, good news with them being adjustable meant this wouldn't be a real issue to change & I wasn't planning massive changes to the height I just wanted the rear a little higher & the front a little lower! Well chuffed with how it sits now (shame I couldn't get a good angle/image on the iPhone in the garage but with the rain I wasn't moving it outside today lol.

The changes for those interested -

Front - 7mm lower than Ohlins base setting
    Rear - 12mm higher than Ohlins base setting

This gives the rear an identical height to the Eibachs and drops the front 7mm lower than the Eibach springs, the car is nearly empty on fuel so the rear will sit lower with a full tank (look forward to some proper pictures next weekend - looks like the suns out!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A job I had planned for the next couple of weeks was a quick oil & filter service, as I was in the garage and rain stopping any interest in me going out to get the geo sorted I decided I would do this today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The old oil was actually in really good shape still, you can still see it's nice and golden on the oil filter housing bolt! Following advise/guides on here from when I first serviced the car I always cleaned out the oil filter housing, fitted the new filter & "primed" the oil filter housing with fresh engine oil before topping up to 5.5L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully get the car aligned Saturday than off to my favourite roads in the Cotswolds to see how it really drives!

M3POWERBOY likes this.
  2. 16 Apr 2021 at 10:50 PM #182
    Gibbo1998

Gibbo1998 On the path

What're you driving?:
    2002 BMW M3 vert
    Colour Combo:
    Silver / Black
    Great thread. Would you normally send away your oil for analysis as part of a service?

I will undertake an oil change in the next few weeks and was thinking about adding an analysis as part of the routine just in case.

TheBiker likes this.
  3. 18 Apr 2021 at 9:34 AM #183
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Geo & first drive on the Ohlins coilovers

Well this wasn't the outcome I was hoping for with spending a small fortune on suspension.. I'm sure there will be those that say its just me being fussy, I'm not a racing driver to appreitate a kit thats wasted on me etc etc but yesterday was the first day out with the coilovers & I wasn't blown away if I'm completely honest, thats not to say its a bad kit at all & its certainly better than the previous setup but was it worth chucking £2,700+ in suspension and bushes? Sadly it doesn't feel it but its not 100% set-up due to rear bolts being seized and my friend who completed the alignment suggesting this be left until I have new bolts as if they snap it will be set at his garage until parts arrive.

The new stance, rear up 12mm & front down 7mm - love how it sits now :cool:

[​IMG]

The following morning for laser alignment, does look awesome just sat parked outside in the sunshine! It pains me to say this but I think the e92 M3 is really starting to win me over - 2 years ago I would have never thought this would be possible but the more I drive it the more I gel with it... further details will be in the video which should hopefully be live later today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having seen this completed so many times on the E92 M3 facebook group reporting clear and then having shells changed at a later date to show heavy wear that wasn't picked up on the analysis I'm not fussed for it.. I think if you have oil from every service since new then it could have a case but look at it like this - first owner hammers the **** out of it for 30,000 miles from cold with no warm up/ long oil service intervals.. owner two comes along does 2 oil services a year always looks after it so the block is flushed with clean oil but shells will still have been worn but now the oil will be clean.. owner 3 comes along changes the oil for good practice and sends away for samples - the damage from owner 1 will no longer be picked up as the oil will be clean.

Just my thought on it and I'm no oil expert/ engine builder so make of it what you will :D

The stance I have - good service history is key & enthusiast owned cars will be the best, if I open the oil filler cap and the block is brown etc its a sign its not had regular oil changes another thing I noticed when my rocker cover was off is the camshafts were spotless with no wear to the lobes which from previously working on the Renault sports was a good indication to how the rest of the block will be, ultimately if you have concerns change them as it is expensive if it goes bang but do you do the head gasket, vanos at the same time? this cars just eat money for fun lol..

4. 18 Apr 2021 at 10:06 AM #184
    Gibbo1998

Gibbo1998 On the path

What're you driving?:
    2002 BMW M3 vert
    Colour Combo:
    Silver / Black
    A truly hope you get more reward from the suspension work. Maybe give it time to get to know differences in feel and perhaps even learn the new limits. Track day?! It certainly looks stunning!

Thats a very interesting perspective on the oil analysis. Thanks mate.

TheBiker likes this.
  5. 1 May 2021 at 9:41 PM #185
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Full set-up on the Ohlins Coilovers (as good as she's going to get!)

I posted up on the M-owners group on Facebook for suggestions on where to take the car to have it correctly set-up & resolve the seized rear camber bolts with the hope the car would improve after not being massively impressed with the Ohlins, various names/companies came back and after speaking with NAD UK and him owning his own e46 M3 demo car I made the decision to get booked in to see if he could work some suspension magic!

I always struggle with passing the keys to my cars to other garages to work on having seen first hand the disasters that so called "mechanics" cause, within 5 minutes my gut has a pretty good sense on if I'll simply be leaving as quickly as I walked through the door! Nad exceeded my expectations today, working away on the car and checking it over it was clear he's been doing this a long time and looking at the standard of his own e46 M3 its clear he has a soft spot for them (even though mine gave a good fight with the rear camber bolts)

I had advised him before dropping the car down that she wasn't right in the rear end due to the seized bolts but after explaining the current settings (no fault of my friends as the bolts were seized) he confirmed this would be resolved once correctly set up. So 60 miles to power through I set off at 7:30am this morning but as normal it was time for a fuel stop lol - 2c weather this morning as well so was a very gentle drive to Nad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a chin wag of all things cars and picking his brains in the hope I would one day have decent knowledge on suspension set ups she was moved into the workshop, Nad had apologised for the mess as he is currently doubling the size of the workshop but to be honest he really didn't need to as the workshop was still in a better state than the majority of garages I visit that are not completing building works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nad's Evo was lovely, I have a real soft spot for these but like all things he advised work commits had stopped him using it for a few years - I did in a round about way ask for a passenger ride/review when its back on the road as I've still never been out in one so I've always been curious!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few hours spannering Nad had finished setting up the car (I think me waffling away delayed his day - sorry mate) but as I hadn't "slammed" the car he managed to keep the standard camber arms, I wasn't aware you needed to undo the diff to get them fitted, not a job I wanted to do on the drive way!

The finished set up with 90kg's of ballast in the drivers seat (simulate me being in the car) and Nad had managed to achieve 2 degree's negative camber on the front using the standard top mounts with some clever modifications as I didn't want to fit solid top mounts as I've used them in the past on the road and found them to much..

[​IMG]

So now for the shocker I wasn't expecting, what did the old girl weigh? the picture below is with a 90kg driver and potentially 40kg of fuel TOTAL : 1,652 KG - For arguments sake without a driver and only 1 litre of fuel on board it would still make it a smidge over 1,520 KG's which is more than I was expecting with the Recaro seats, CSL boot lid & bumper but at the same time mine is a fully loaded with HK sound system, SMG, Sunroof model etc, I think I could easily loose 30+KG's by removing the boot carpet, sound deadening and fitting a LIPO battery but to be honest it feels feather weight compared to the e92 M3 to drive so dread to think what that would hit on the scales. I also took a picture of the fuel gauge to show what was on board when she was on the scales

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So how does it drive now? We shall have to see tomorrow morning as the heavens opened in the afternoon but I'm pleased to confirm its night & day improvement compared to when it drove in! with the weather going from wet - dry - wet on the journey home on roads I didn't know I wasn't going mad but the rear end felt completely planted just as she used too! the turn in has really sharpened up which is nice, over all very pleased with Nad's work and will now be my go too place for alignment adjustment :D

Tomorrow morning a few of us are planning a breakfast drive to B road hunting club (looks to be similar to Caffeine & Machine) so hopefully the weather stays dry and I can cover some miles in confidence again now and give a better report on the Ohlins but driving it home this afternoon I still don't feel they were worth the expense, don't get me wrong 100% better than stock dampers/ eibach springs but £2,200 better for fast road use? I don't think so currently.. maybe track time will really show the benefits of the kit.

B6RKS and M3POWERBOY like this.
  6. 2 May 2021 at 2:05 AM #186
    fadeel

fadeel Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    grey
    Glad you are getting there with it all.

I know Nad from old can't believe he still has that Evo!

I think if you went back to eibachs you will be really surprised at the difference. The R&T kit is a bit soft obviously for road use. Unless you go for linear spring set up (i.e kw clubsports) I don't think you'll get night and day handling.

TheBiker likes this.
  7. 4 May 2021 at 4:31 PM #187
    Rob043

Rob043 Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    I weighed my non sunroof manual E46 at 1550kg full of fuel but no ballast. Standard car with HK. On corner weight scales.
    Sounds like your sunroof and SMG is compensated partly by the lighter seats.

My standard E92 was 1620kg on a weigh bridge, full of fuel. With the DCT accounting for say 20kg, i took there to be a 50kg increase between them comparing like with like.

Took my M3 replacement to the weight bridge the other day, currently a series 1 elise, 740kg!

TheBiker likes this.
  8. 4 May 2021 at 8:13 PM #188
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Its certainly much better now NAD has corrected the alignment, driving the e92 M3 over the weekend has confirmed how well planted the e46 M3 now is & hopefully with some more miles I can report back with more positive news on the finished piece but the wash out bank holiday weekend only allowed for small amounts of spirited driving, on the flip side myself and the misses went out bank holiday Monday and I drove her M240i - wow that is when you realise how much more planted the M chassis are when you go back to back with them!

I initially thought there would be 100KG's between the cars but from what your saying that doesn't sound like its the case, maybe its increased sound deadening etc that makes it more civilised/ disconnected compared to the e46 M3 but the e46 certainly feels light when chucking it around.

Awesome weekend toy, I've actually been looking at Exile V6's the past few weeks, have been toying with reducing the collection down and having something really special and driver focussed :D

fadeel, Rob043 and M3POWERBOY like this.
  9. 8 May 2021 at 9:43 PM #189
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    New rear number plate & top mount cap trimmed

Sadly not the most of exciting updates but always like to keep the thread upto date! The weather has been a bit of a disappointment the past week especially since the car is freshly set-up I really wanted to go out and see if the Ohlins could win me over.. I'm sure its been the coldest May in years so that's put a spanner in the works but hopefully in the coming weeks that will change.

One thing that had been getting progressively worse was the rear number plate, I had peeled this one off my genuine boot lid so can only assume the damage was initially caused back then but thankfully £14 for a pair delivered off eBay I decided to treat the old girl (little things like this I find can make a car look tired)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job, trim the M3 top mount cover, with the increased camber there was no longer enough room between the strut brace and the top mount for it to sit flush, NAD offered to sort it but as I had already pushed him way behind schedule with talking/filming the next video I said I'll sort it when I get home which only took 5 minutes with the dremmel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All back together I realised how dusty the engine bay was, thats a job for next weekend but always worry washing engine bays after my what seems repeat bad luck with alternators, shall have to try and cover it with a bag/sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    James

Rob043, tammc87, sak83 and 1 other person like this.
  10. 12 May 2021 at 7:15 PM #190
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    NAD UK alignment video now live on the channel & the plans for the next couple of months

As detailed in the above post the car has now been set-up by NAD and its time to actually get some miles on the old girl but she will be off the road for a couple of weeks next month for the much needed interior make over! The plans -

• Steering wheel sent away to be trimmed in black alcantara/ grey stiching
    • Dash trims painted gloss black
    • Machined aluminium SMG stick & surround
    The steering wheel & dash trims have all been booked in but I'm still working on the SMG stick "OEM plus" rework.. Any way, video from last weekend :D

Tetney likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)