Stone's 2011 E92 M3 Competition project

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by TheBiker, Jan 16, 2019.

1. 9 Oct 2020 at 2:24 PM #81
    Dan555

Dan555 A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    E46 Clubsport - Sold
    Thread probably won't be up as quick as I want - I've realised how picky I am so (im)patiently waiting for the right one to come along. Fingers crossed...

What's next for you on the upgrades front?

TheBiker likes this.
  2. 12 Oct 2020 at 11:02 PM #82
    TheBiker

TheBiker Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    E46 + E92 M3 + RS Clio + 748SP + RC8 + GSXR K6, RS250
    The misses wanted some automotive sun set shots.. out comes the e92 M3

The good lady has been behind all the decent photo's from the road trips in the e46 M3 & I had finally managed to add her to my multi performance car policy so she had her first experience in the V8 M3! whilst out she did bring her SLR and managed some cracking shots :cool:

Instagram : miss_d_photography

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She tried to get some arty ones with me with the car but safe to say it will never be my calling in life lol.. love the second one with the shades/ mirror reflection!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had fun filming with her driving the V8 M3 for the first time, safe to say the M240i is more suited to her driving as "revving the nuts off it" wasn't really for her but she loved the down shift blips & V8 rumble!

I'm really surprised how much I have enjoyed the e92 M3 this year, its certainly the one I keep grabbing the keys for which I find hard to believe considering this would always have been the e46 M3's slot.. at least it buys the SMG pump in the e46 some more time :rolleyes:

I keep talking myself in & out of the carbon plenum/airbox idea.. I do want to keep it NA as I've just seen to much head ache on more than one occasion with charging these and using them daily

Rob043 likes this.
  3. 29 Oct 2020 at 9:15 PM #83
    Deutsche Fan

Deutsche Fan A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    2009 E92 M3
    Hi buddy really like your car and videos, watched plenty of them before taking the plunge on an e92 earlier this year. Loving it so far.

1 thing in your thread did worry me though. To lower the M4 seat further did you swap the steel seat runner for aluminium? If so I'd be concerned about the bolts ripping through in an accident. Sorry to p155 on your chips.

TheBiker likes this.
  4. 29 Oct 2020 at 11:05 PM #84
    jonysir

jonysir Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    M3
    I love your journal your video your attention to detail, lovely car by the way.

My only gripe is that I do not agree with eibach springs as nothing compares to original ride quality of competition springs.

Eibachs will eventually ruin your shocks.

TheBiker likes this.
  5. 30 Oct 2020 at 7:58 PM #85
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Correct the standard 2mm thick steel runner is replaced with 5mm aluminium “L” bracket, I can see your thoughts behind it but at the same time the majority of aluminium side mounts for bucket seats such as Recaro Pole positions etc are 5mm aluminium.

As I have not (or hopefully never will) crash test them for approval this was the decision to only instal on the drivers side and not the passenger as ultimately it will be myself that pays the price If they did fail but again I have to stress the Bimarco 5mm thick aluminium side mountA I run in my Clio 172 Cup are FIA approved and are 5mm aluminium.

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the thread, same for KW has kit & H&R’s - if they leak I will replace/ upgrade with coilovers :cool:

6. 2 Nov 2020 at 10:03 AM #86
    Deutsche Fan

What're you driving?:
    2009 E92 M3
    5mm is better than I was expecting. Was guessing 3.2mm from your pics.

FIA seat mounts are 5mm thick formed plate, probably to a fairly specific alloy type and heat treatment. Also, seatbelt/harness loads go straight into the chassis on a race car rather than into the seat or mountings. These loads will be pretty high, especially in a frontal crash where all the driver loads go into the seat belt.

TheBiker likes this.
  7. 15 Nov 2020 at 10:07 AM #87
    heller

heller Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    F Type R, RR Sport, R53 Cooper S
    Colour Combo:
    Black on Black
    Just started following this thread....really inspiring. I'm looking to do similar on both an E46 and e92 so following closely

TheBiker likes this.
  8. 19 Nov 2020 at 7:38 PM #88
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Stolen & recovered :(

Sadly a few weeks back the e92 M3 was stolen from my drive way in the early hours of the morning, I was woken by the misses screaming some ones smashed into the wall & your cars gone!

I'll be honest and say it's gutting to be on the receiving end of a theft and something I had never been a victim of before.. sure its only metal and can be replaced & the main thing is they didn't break into the house and threaten/ injury myself or the misses but its certainly made us feel very un-easy and have since been upping the security & protection on the house - Motion alarmed CCTV, alarm system on the house and a ground post going on the drive this weekend etc to hopefully prevent this happening again but ultimately if they want it they will have it.

Shall get a video up on the weekend of the full details but in a nut shell its pure chance/ luck i have the e92 back & thankfully with minimal damage so haven't had to go through further pain making an insurance claim.

The time line (put together with next doors ring door bell & police notes)

2am - Car stolen off the drive way with no forced entry, due to the mist the I assume the thief couldn't see out the mirrors and reversed into the wall, my self and both neighbours either side heard nothing and looking at the damage must have been a slow bump (also questions how well my wall was built?)

2:15am - By PURE CHANCE (admitted by the police) a patrol car see's my car parked/running on double yellows a few roads down from my house, they pull up to see it running with no one in it, lap top on the seat and number plates from a white 1 series on the passenger seat (they confirmed the the owner of the 1 series had been contacted and his plates were missing) so they block the road and instruct recovery

2:15am (back at my house) Next doors ring bell now picks up a set of head lights pull onto the drive way and my misses 240i unlocks then they just make off quickly without the car (assume the person with my e92 notifies the police have found my car)

Whilst the misses was on the phone reporting to the police a police car pulls up out side and 3 police officers ask where my car is, my answer of "you tell me" standing in my bed shorts I think it became clear it was not simply me abandoning it especially when they looked at the wall.

I guess ultimately I have the car back & my partners M240i was not stolen purely because that police car spotted it parked on double yellows and if they had not been there who knows where they would be now, with minimal damage I've taken the repair costs on the chin as increased premiums over the next 5 years on the bike/car polices would easily exceed the repair costs.

As the car was creeped away and only covered less than 400 odd metres I'm confident the engine has sustained no increased cold wear so I'm happy to keep it, the misses thought I wouldn't want it back but the way I see it I wasn't the first owner or the only driver and I have really grown to love it!

Pics of the wall & damage (wheels are already back with Stan at Pro-auto craft as we speak)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to give the car a deep clean this weekend, initial inspection and the drive back from the recovery yard confirmed all is well mechanically with steering wheel tracking straight etc, both cars now also have the latest "90s style" stop lock until I can get them both in for Ghost module instal (have been chatting to SBH detailing who seems to do a fair amount in the area if any one has used them?)

The more interesting side of the story is the equipment the police found in the car was not the typical "key cloning" hard ware they typically see, the two officers claim it was BMW items and they will be looking to see if serial numbers can be found or if a dealer is missing one but to be honest I won't hold my breath they catch the pond life...

Stay safe guys & don't be like me, reading of this happening on Facebook posts and really doing nothing about it assuming it will be fine I don't live in a rough area.

gavinsan likes this.
  9. 19 Nov 2020 at 7:41 PM #89
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Shall look into re-enforcing the tunnel side, it does have a steel plate the pre-tens mounts to and that is double bolted to the bracket but as you say its worth making sure its 100%, none of us want a crash but if the worst does happen you don't want to pay the price with compromising safety

Glad you enjoyed the read, project will get back on track but the theft has left me feeling a little hollow on the projects at the moment to be honest.. sure it will pass

10. 19 Nov 2020 at 8:35 PM #90
    Deutsche Fan

What're you driving?:
    2009 E92 M3
    Yeah get some big structural washers on the pre tensioner bracket bolts.

Gutted to hear about the theft, hope you get the car back to it's best soon and you and your missus aren't too shaken up by it all. Do your cars have keyless entry? Seems odd the crims were fairly successful.

TheBiker likes this.
  11. 19 Nov 2020 at 8:40 PM #91
    gavinsan

gavinsan Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Family wagon 2017 320i touring
    Colour Combo:
    Blue / Black
    Wow what a story and sorry to hear of the initial trauma but so pleased you were lucky enough to get her back in one piece and hardly damaged !

I had a beautiful M4 COMPETITION in ********* fitted with MPE stolen off my drive in the middle of the night and to this day it still haunts me as to what happened to my car !

Last i saw of it was rolling off my driveway at 3am with the mpe burbling away

Based on your cars damage i think 100% you are making the right decision to keep her

TheBiker likes this.
  12. 19 Nov 2020 at 11:13 PM #92
    chris2712

chris2712 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    E92 Comp (KA401)
    Colour Combo:
    MW
    Gutting, Had exactly the same in a car id spent 2 years restoring. When I got it back though it was past saving. This was end of last year.
    Had door cam etc but nothing got picked up.

TheBiker likes this.
  13. 20 Nov 2020 at 9:48 AM #93
    Tetney

Tetney Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Titan Silver/Black
    So sorry to hear about the theft but glad the car is back with minimal damage done!

Hope you and the Mrs are ok and that things look upwards from here :)

TheBiker likes this.
  14. 20 Nov 2020 at 10:57 AM #94
    S18PNY

S18PNY On the path

What're you driving?:
    2008 BMW M3
    Wow that's crazy, luckily you and the Mrs didnt come to any harm and the car hasn't sustained much damage.

TheBiker likes this.
  15. 20 Nov 2020 at 12:49 PM #95
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Yep mine and hers had the keyless/ comfort access but had coded it off on the key I use daily (will need to look into this further now to fully shut it off as I actually prefer the key fob lock/ unlock.. to little to late this time though :(

Sorry to hear you have been in the same boat & even worse that you didn’t get it back, even now nearly 2 weeks on I keep looking at the window/ checking the cctv.

Oh man that sucks, like you have mentioned it’s the time you put in that you know insurance won’t even come close, I generally think I would have cried if it was the e46 as some real hours and mega road trips have been covered that car that just couldn’t be replaced.

Thanks guys, to be honest it’s hit the misses the hardest as her mum passed this year which was already causing enough stress/ sleepless nights for her so this just made it even worse :(

Walls repaired now so house is looking better just need to bring the e92 back to her pre-theft state

Repols likes this.
  16. 21 Nov 2020 at 6:14 PM #96
    Dan320is

Dan320is Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    2004 E46 M3
    Stronger wall this time? Looking at your pictures you could you install a sliding gate, possibly an electric one.

TheBiker likes this.
  17. 21 Nov 2020 at 8:05 PM #97
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    Sorry to hear this

Bollard begins the cars is a good idea

Do you have Diskloks? They are a must in my eyes- mine has it on and it’s sat in a locked garage

TheBiker likes this.
  18. 22 Nov 2020 at 5:13 PM #98
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    The walls back up again but could potentially look to steel brace it, hoping the drop post will arrive this week (supplier has advised of Covid delays...) We have made the decision to move to a more secure area, it was originally 5+ years away but I think its time to buy some where with a big garage in place and potentially a gated entrance rather than plough time & money into the current property.

I've just purchased two Stop-Locs for the cars, combined with the post I'm hoping this will be enough (reading the reviews the latest stop loc is supposed to be very good) but the best solution is the Diskloks one you mention but is very bulky & I've heard can mark the steering wheels with the weight.

The problem is I just don't know how far to go now, really crap to feel like this in your own property.

19. 22 Nov 2020 at 5:41 PM #99
    TheBiker

What're you driving?:
    Deep clean, Oil service & air filter clean

I got the car up on axle stands just to give everything a once over and remove the wheels as the powder coaters kindly squeezed me in to get them refurbished asap as scuffed alloys when painted black look awful.. Stan at Pro-autocraft came to the rescue so they are with him as we speak.

Gave the car a good clean inside and out, the damage to the bumper is minimal but still deciding if I should just leave this till March/ April when the e46 M3 is back out and I can just leave it with the body shop rather than rushing around in lock down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The oil service was actually on the cards the weekend coming before it was stolen, I had now covered 8,000 miles in the e92 M3 since the shells were replaced at Evolve automotive last year so I wanted to continue with cutting the factory oil intervals down from 2 years/15,000 miles to at least annually/6-8,000 miles

Ordered the genuine filter from Cotswolds BMW (top service as always) and purchased 20 litres of Castrol from Opie oils as the e46 M3 would be due early next year so made sense to bulk buy and have top up oil spare if required!

When I was in the market for purchasing the E92 I had read comments of those using oil between services but I haven't had to top it up in 8,000 miles but then again it doesn't see any track time etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let the engine run upto operating temperature with it being relatively cold out I wanted the oil nice and hot to let everything drain completely.

[​IMG]

Its the first car I've serviced with two drain plugs & no dipstick, I'm going to be honest and say I still prefer having a manual dipstick to double check. Once the oil filter was removed I cleaned the housing, nice to see it relatively clean with no old/burnt oil stains, same can be seen through the filler cap (always re-assuring to see)

Before refitting the oil filter cap I managed to fill the oil filter housing with roughly 400ml of oil, its something I was advised on the e46 to avoid any dry starting when first cranked as the filter will obviously need a few seconds to fill/prime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I carefully measured out 8.5 litres for the "initial" start which put the digital dip stick just below the half way mark, reading online many advised that its worth going for a drive before topping up as if it does go to over fill its going to be a pig to drain so once the wheels are back I'll do my commute and top up at the weekend.

[​IMG]

I've enjoyed using the misses 240i the past few weeks and to be honest while its a great daily hearing the V8 today I can't wait to go for a proper drive in it again :shades:

The wall is also back up so no longer looks like I'm incapable of pulling out of my drive way, the amount of people walking past that would just stop and stare at it..

[​IMG]

jjm3uk, iiNNeX, DuncS3 and 1 other person like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)