Some rust prevention products advice please

Discussion in 'General maintenance, upgrades and modifications' started by M3 R0B, Mar 24, 2020.

1. 24 Mar 2020 at 9:32 PM #1
    M3 R0B

M3 R0B Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Grey / Black interior
    So I'm going to tackle a little bit of rust on my car on an exterior painted area, the rust patch is approximately 50mm by 20mm

My plan is to sand/wire wheel the rust patch clean... then Rust killer the area... then spray the patch with a colour code spray can. Will I have to lacquer after the colour coded spray??

Also should I primer after the rust killer, before the colour spray? As the rest of the surrounding area will still be the car colour.

Also could anyone reccomend a good rust killer/stabilizer please??

Maybe If someone could give me a simple step by step with some advised products, as in... sand, rust killer, primer, colour, lacquer etc.

I'm not after a show car finish, it's not really in a visible area and the car is silver so the patch stand out so much.

Cheers

2. 25 Mar 2020 at 9:48 AM #2
    bpman

bpman Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3; F20 125d M-Sport; TT Quattro Sport;
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral White; estoril blue
    I think Bilt Hamber products are the best, lots on youtube showing how to use them

I have also used dinitrol to protect vunderable bits on my e92

3. 25 Mar 2020 at 11:07 AM #3
    Ngy

Ngy Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2003 M3 convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Imola red / black
    Using bilt hamber deox gel on my e46 underside just now. Works very well if you follow the instructions!

bpman likes this.
  4. 25 Mar 2020 at 8:01 PM #4
    V8mike

V8mike Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    E92 m3 coupe
    There’s couple rust removers I’ve used one is from machine mart it’s called rust remover and the other one is from Halfords hamerite rust preventer it’s a liquid paint you brush on just make sure there’s no loose rust on the patch your painting I use both and they have worked great for me,the one from machine mart you just dab on it starts instantly usually I apply couple times to attack the rust once that’s gone you need to clean the surface with panel wipe then let it dry off now to apply the rust preventer I use only a small amount this will now stop rust from coming back. All best mike

5. 25 Mar 2020 at 8:22 PM #5
    M3 R0B

M3 R0B Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Grey / Black interior
    So after I wire wheel/sand the rust off, I'll use a liquid rust remover/killer, then lay on the colour coded car colour paint.

I have a por 15 kit, is the metal prep liquid a rust killer??

I dont want to paint it with rust preventer before the coloured paint because it will make the area raised up compared to the rest of the panel.

6. 25 Mar 2020 at 10:48 PM #6
    V8mike

V8mike Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    E92 m3 coupe
    Hi you can use both but you don’t need to I’ve always used both as it worked for me. So if you just use the rust remover clean it off with panel wipe then apply primer few coats to get it high enough then sand back down panel wipe it dry it then panel wipe once more dry it. Then apply the base paint. Let it just about fully dry tacky then apply lacquer let it fully dry few hours with some form of heat close to it. If not let it dry naturally and away from dust obviously. And this will depend on where this rust patch is? If say it’s on a wing you need to take it to a edge or to a line on your wing and blend it in usually to door or panel next to it otherwise it will not look right. If this is the case I would take it to a professional painter and get them to sort it. All best mike

M3 R0B likes this.
  7. 3 Apr 2020 at 6:28 PM #7
    Bigfoot

Bigfoot Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2005 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Grey
    A bit late to the party.

This is my favourite rust treatment web site: https://www.rust.co.uk/

There is good guidance on both preparation and products.

Good luck

8. 4 Apr 2020 at 6:26 AM #8
    lee donald

lee donald A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    bmw 335d/640d/330d
    this is all just delaying the inevitable,,only way to get rid of rust is to cut it out and get new metal welded in,,painting on rust inhibitors will stave it for however long, depending on the work put in,,but it will return for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)