SMG - very poorly

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by RobertBham, Oct 14, 2018 at 12:32 AM.

1. 14 Oct 2018 at 12:32 AM #1
    RobertBham

RobertBham Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted but hoping to get some advice. I've owned my e46 M3 for 12 years and replaced the SMG pump via BMW 4 years ago - the car is only my weekend car and doesn't have a hard life and has potentially done 12,000 with the new pump.

This afternoon just as I got home, I have my first SMG cog light in 4 years and the dread of a pump failure crosses my mind. Read the codes and have the 56 error - pump on time - exactly the same error as before and I'm cursing my luck... this evening I have replaced the salmon relay as I found my spare but the pump still sounded poorly.. went to move the car a few meters forward and back and the gears drop to neutral and can't get anything. Pushed the car back in to my space in the underground car park and notice.......

a massive pool of fluid on the floor - looks like it has a green tinge so suspect it's SMG fluid.

[​IMG]

Now here is my dilemma - there is no way I can get the car out of the underground car park without it being towed - the car is in neutral so nothing too awful there. However, my main concern is what the problem could be and was wondering if any one has any experience with an issue like this. I'm guessing it could be something as simple as a hose but if I tow it all the way to BMW and they says it's the pump, I don't think I can stomach spending another £2500 plus on something that is 'nearly' new due to the low mileage. And once it's there, I won't really have any choice.

Any thoughts on the potential cause/s and costs would be great!

Thanks
    Rob

2. 14 Oct 2018 at 12:56 AM #2
    Tyler

Tyler Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M3 E46
    SMG is best box don't worry just fit a CAE or RTD self locking shifter and do away with pump and stuff and costs next to nothing :thumbsup:

3. 14 Oct 2018 at 4:20 AM #3
    Shaks

Shaks Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW E46 M3 2003 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Could be some sort of damage do the SMG lines mate.

Error 56 is due to the pump over working trying to build up pressure, but as its loosing fluid it can never build up.

Find the source of the leak, top up the fluid and run the adaptation via INPA or DIS

4. 14 Oct 2018 at 7:53 AM #4
    JooJanta20

JooJanta20 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 SMG vert, E60 535d
    Colour Combo:
    LSB on LSB
    Exactly.
    The pump is going to be fine if it's that new, it's just pee'd out its fluid, before you tow it check the reservoir it's not something simple like hose popped off reservoir or loose cap. You can also confirm fluid level or lack of: the reservoir is on the side of the intake manifold, there are plenty of pictures of position if you Google Image search e46 smg reservoir if you don't know what to look for

5. 14 Oct 2018 at 7:55 AM #5
    pee wee

pee wee Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 bmw m3 COUPE
    Colour Combo:
    Estrol BLUE COUPE
    it mite be one of the pipes that screw into the pump has split just change my pump and if the pipe are not in tight they will leak out the smg fluid i bet one of the 4 pipes has split or broken if i was you send j3enks a pm he is your man he fixed mine when i got the code 56

6. 14 Oct 2018 at 11:22 AM #6
    RobertBham

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Thanks for the replies folks - with the amount of fluid that came out, I'm hoping/thinking a hose is likely!

A couple of questions - when opening the car, the pump primes but sounds like it is sucking air/making a horrible noise - should I remove the salmon relay to stop the pump working. I don't want to damage the pump by just opening the car and if I tow it somewhere, I will need power steering and brakes, and don't want to break the pump on the journey with it constantly repriming/sucking air.

https://youtu.be/pE2UfZJrqKk

Is it worth buying the hydraulic fluid and topping up anyway, just to be on the safe side, even though it is pouring out, or just leave it?

Does anyone have any recommendations around the Solihull area for someone that knows that they are doing (BMW SMG) that could get it up on a ramp and see what is going on? I want to keep my options open as if it is a hose/connection, then they can fix it - great, but if the pump has broken, I want to take it up with BMW direct as I don't expect something like that to break after such little use.

Thanks fort the pointer with regards to j3enks - I just think getting the car to Kent may be a bit of an issue - if it was closer, I'd have no hesitation after the recommendation!

Appreciate all of the input!

Thanks
    Rob

7. 14 Oct 2018 at 11:30 AM #7
    FrazerD

FrazerD Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2007 B7 RS4 Avant
    Colour Combo:
    Phantom Black / Black
    http://www.cpcpe.com

When I had my smg and if it ever broke, I always planned on taking it there. I know it’s an hour and a half away. Car trailer or lorry would do the trick.

Cheers :thumbsup:

8. 14 Oct 2018 at 1:09 PM #8
    PHIL67

PHIL67 On the path

Your Motor:
    2002 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    CARBON BLACK ON RED
    Sorry to hear of your troubles bud , 12000 miles on a new pump is nothing don't worry about the pump trying to make pressure the hydrolic pump sounds as if it's empty , if we're me I'd take the air box where the air filter is and look above the smg pump and you'll see a small pipe from the resivour about 7 inches long and see if it's leaking from above the pump hopefully it's that pipe or the resivour itself and not the pump , either way when you refill it it's got to be bled off via dis and complete its adaptations or it will make some horrible noises , hopefully this works for you

9. 14 Oct 2018 at 3:15 PM #9
    7DT

7DT Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Sounds like a hose has come loose. If you had no SMG fluid and error 56, then I'd be worried, but this just looks like a loose connection, where the pump has built up pressure and forced all the fluid out of the leak/loose connection.

Get some SMG fluid, and if mechanically minded, take of the plenum, and as suggested above, look for leaks. SHould be pretty obvious where it's coming from (buy some more SMG fluid before you do, so you can top up and see where it's leaking)

Once found, and fixed (should hopefully just be reconnecting/tightening it up) then fill with SMG fluid, run the bleed, top up as necessary, then rerun the full adaption.

it's not going to be a new pump.

Also, these days, you don't have to buy the full pump anymore, companies like burkhart will sell uprated pumps and the smg fluid.

10. 14 Oct 2018 at 3:36 PM #10
    E46CoupeM3

E46CoupeM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Or Aldi £40 boroscope to look under or a USB one

11. 14 Oct 2018 at 4:40 PM #11
    RobertBham

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Checked from above the engine and cannot see any leaks and love the idea of the boroscope - just checked Amazon and plenty available! I'd go for the Aldi one, but Amazon will deliver to work tomorrow!

On the CHF11S - Amazon have two listed - official Pentosin and Comma - does it matter or should I just opt for the Pentosin?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-CHF1...d=1539531491&sr=8-5&keywords=Pentosin+CHF+11s

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-Pe...d=1539531709&sr=1-1&keywords=Pentosin+CHF+11s

Thanks
    Rob

12. 14 Oct 2018 at 5:08 PM #12
    7DT

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Personally, I'd order the stuff from burkhart, you can also get a bottle via hack engineering. Have a look on their site. Better than getting something of amazon, unless someone else can confirm it's good.

http://www.hackengineering.co.uk/pr...g-smg2-hydraulic-pump-repair-kit-e46-m3-copy/

13. 14 Oct 2018 at 5:10 PM #13
    7DT

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    although, for the burkhart stuff, you need to bleed the old fluid out. But, don't think that's a problem in your case!

14. 14 Oct 2018 at 5:21 PM #14
    RobertBham

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Thanks for that - really helpful. I've ordered an endoscope from Amazon.

Definitely think I'll go for the burkhart stuff once I know what the problem is and can get it fixed.

For my test, as an eluded to, most of this is going to end up on the floor, so would you just go for the Comma stuff being the cheapest? I just want to ensure I don't damage anything in the interim of it being fixed! If that means Pentosin, then that's what it will be, but if it really doesn't matter, I'll get the Comma stuff.

Thanks
    Rob

15. 14 Oct 2018 at 5:30 PM #15
    E46CoupeM3

E46CoupeM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    That aside the wing to sill gap is boiling my noodle

16. 15 Oct 2018 at 11:29 AM #16
    grchmason

grchmason Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi
    I agree with the above hose loose or split

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)