SMG to manual conversion

Adamantium

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Audi Q5 3.0TDi, Tesla Model 3 Performance, E46 M3
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Cinnamon
Well BMR for their £2000 plus vat supply all the parts required, do all the labour and all the required coding so that everything works inc cruise control.

I’m not sure what more there is to charge for.

As I understand, Em3s have a fantastic reputation especially with CSL owners who I imagine have deeper pockets than most, perhaps since they are overrun with conversion requests it’s just a case of supply and demand.

You can’t blame them!

to be fair, Em3s would have been a far more convenient location for me than BMR but not for the price difference, I also got no reply on their willingness to allow me to supply some parts myself but that was probably because the boss wasn’t replying to my email where as with BMR I spoke directly with Barry.

I also asked around all my old M3 friends as I’ve been out of the loop for a while and needed a recommendation for a trusted garage to modify/maintain my car. Everyone I spoke to said BMR (except you!!).

I would still quite happily go to Em3s as their reputation seems to be flawless, but not in this case purely on cost alone - that’s assuming they’ll still have me after this post as it does look like an attack on them, which it most certainly is not!

Reactions: BMR

BMWFAN

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BMW M3 CS Interlagos
By all accounts this isn’t complicated for someone in the know. People have done it themselves. I would go bmr.

Reactions: BMR

bmlfc88

Underwear thermally upgraded
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Imola Red
For reference Redish charge £3500 all in… so even they are £500 cheaper and I know from experience their labour rate is on the high side..

I wouldn’t take my car anywhere else for Inspection 2 services mind, knowledge and attention to detail second to none for me

Czechboy

On the path
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 e46 M3 6MT
Colour Combo
Steel Grey / Imola Red
By all accounts this isn’t complicated for someone in the know. People have done it themselves. I would go bmr.

It’s really not that complicated at all. Myself, mitesh33 and few others have done it on the driveway without a lift.

Procedure is roughly as follows:
Remove SMG pump from engine bay
Remove exhaust, propshaft and gearbox mounts
Remove apx 10 external torx bolts to remove gearbox
Take bell housing off
Drill out 2 x 18mm holes for detent sleeves and either machine a circlip recess or M20 plug to retain the detent springs
Drill and fit lever torsion spring stop
Fit clutch pedal assembly
Fit hydraulic line from clutch MC to reservoir and slave cylinder
Fit new clutch sensor and run wire to ECU
Drill out transmission tunnel blanking hole
Weld in/bolt in gear lever support bracket
Change VO on ecu/DME to code out SMG
Re-flash couple of modules

done. Oem retrofit with fully working PCD, reverse lights and cruise control

HOWEVER, There are only couple of tricky bits that I would get them to confirm. They are what separates a “normal” retrofit from an undetectable retrofit. Maybe the reason they charge more? Or maybe they charge more and still use the shortcut route

-how do they fit the gear selector lever bracket (oem is spot welded). Many will bolt/pop rivet it in place

-how do they secure the detent springs (oem is a machined grove for circlip). Many will drill and tap M20 hole and use a threaded hydraulic plug screw.

- how do they run run the line from MC to slave cylinder? Many use Hack Engineering stainless flexi braided line (OEM is a coated rigid steel line)

How do they get cruise control wiring to work (oem is a different loom)? many will run a single wire to ECU box

As you can see, there are a few differences from oem style retrofit to a complete OEM manual.

Finally you need a different instrument cluster, air intake plenum and steering wheel if you want it to look just like a manual

So maybe they include all the above proper changes in their pricing, but I suspect not

giger

Wearing official underwear
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 OEM+ spec
Colour Combo
Carbon Black/Cinnamon
If you take it somewhere to have the job done properly they'll CNC the SMG bellhousing to make sure the tolerances are correct, and make new wiring looms so everything looks factory in addition to most things mentioned above.

bmlfc88

Underwear thermally upgraded
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2003 E46 M3 Coupe
Colour Combo
Carbon Black / Imola Red
I think most reputable places weld in the support bracket…

also I think the Hack/HEL braided clutch line is a common upgrade offered

Not sure about the cruise control query, I didn’t realise it was a different loom I thought it was just coding

Users who are viewing this thread