S50 Carbon Airbox but using MAF not Alpha N

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1991-1999) and E30 M3 (1986-1990)' started by urquattrogus, Nov 28, 2019.

1. 28 Nov 2019 at 5:14 PM #1
    urquattrogus

urquattrogus A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    S50 M Coupe (Z3M)
    Hi

My first post here, I've recently purchased a 2000 M Coupe (Z3M) with the S50 3.2 engine.

I'm on the Z3M forum but there seems to be a lot more knowledge about tuning here.

Essentially I fancy the sound and to some degree look of a carbon airbox but would like to run it without Alpha N.

The main reason being that this is a roadcar that I want to remain usable and I don't want any low speed drivability issues.

I have my own workshop ramp and do most things myself.

My plan would be to rig up an airbox but still use the standard MAF, and then perhaps have a custom re-map if required.

I'm sure some will say that it's not worth the hassle, but the induction noise alone would be worth it for me.

I also want to make sure I don't go for a cheap/nasty airbox, needs to look right and perform well.

Has anyone done this mod before?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. 28 Nov 2019 at 5:26 PM #2
    Iain

Iain Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    I think the drivability issues of A-N are overblown, I have never had an issue with mine.

I have never seen anyone successfully re-calibrate the size of the MAF tube so you would likely have to fit the entire maf into the inlet, this can be done but as you note you will loose some if not all of the advantage, but it can be done. A Goke box would likely be the best option, the variant without the snorkel, they do one for the Z3M

https://www.carbon-goeke.de/rennsport/airboxen.html

3. 29 Nov 2019 at 8:11 PM #3
    harrypevo

harrypevo Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    I seem to remember a post on the old e36 forum with someone trying various ways of getting a maf to work with an aftermarket airboxes with little success.

I think there's a good chance you'll end up with something less driveavle than a properly mapped alpha-n setup.

Shame no one has made a rigid, thin walled carbon replacement for the heavy rubber intake elbow as I'm sure you'd get a lot more bark from the bodies when combined with a large filter.

4. 29 Nov 2019 at 10:09 PM #4
    DaveMSport

DaveMSport Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 Individual, E36 M3 track car, Landrover Defender E53 X5, E38 730, E30 318is, E30 Mtec touring
    Colour Combo:
    Techno Violet/silver gray
    Alot of the noise is a result of the larger opening and getting rid of the MAF too.

I've driven a few M3 Evo an Z3m on the road with Alpha N and don't see anything wrong with it.

The Alpha N maps that wr3 rubbish to drive are the cheap "remaps" you see from pretty much programming the ecu to stay in default fueling mode if you were to disconnect the map and then raising the rpm a little to make it look like your getting something for your money lol

5. 29 Nov 2019 at 11:12 PM #5
    urquattrogus

urquattrogus A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    S50 M Coupe (Z3M)
    Thanks guys :) I have emailed Goeke...

Alternatively, So if I DID go Alpha N, which is the best airbox and who can map 'em well in the UK?? Evolve have given up on the S50 as old hat now??

Once live mapped my (gone a while ago) urquattro on the road with some polish guy, 450bhp repeated pulls on the road, crazy!

6. 1 Dec 2019 at 3:24 AM #6
    Iain

Iain Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    wayne at chipwizards is really the only man, he will be hard to contact, just persist.

Just be sure to tell him its a road car and he will spend more time on getting the bottom end of the rpm scale dialled in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)