DNX

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F90 Sapphire Black M5 & F15 Titanium Silver X5 40D
Colour Combo
F90 Black / Black, F15 Silver / Black
Ladies & Gents,

If you had a spare £20K in your slush fund (aside from any savings and investments) and was thinking of putting it in something that you could enjoy as a toy & would have slow depreciation i.e. good value retention or perhaps even gain slightly what would you choose that meets this criteria:

1) Rolex Daytona - Two Tone Gold & Silver
2) E9x M3
3) E46 M3
4) 996 or 997
5) None of the above / Other - what would it be for you?

£20K is not a hard limit - give or take a few grand as necc.

jpf

Flexing a golden cincture
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M4, Ariel Atom, JCW,
Colour Combo
Austin Yellow - just awesome
The top two are interesting options, might boil down to how much garage or safe space availability someone has.

Reactions: ADL

Schmeel

Reaction score
What're you driving?
997 Hartech
Colour Combo
Black / Black
Rollie
E46.

That is my preferred order.

Or option 5 sell the M5 and get a GT4 :roflmao: @Scottyant

p.s you walked into that one mate.

Last edited:

Scottyant

Reaction score
What're you driving?
718 spyder
Rollie
E46.

Having had/have all 3. That is my preferred order.

Or option 5 sell the M5 and get a GT4 :roflmao: @Scottyant

p.s you walked into that one mate.

Love it schmeel :muttley::muttley:!

He ain’t a good enough driver or man to own a GT4 and ain’t got good enough contacts to buy Lex’s at RRP Where he could buy 2 Grade A Lexs for 20k where he would double If not triple his money :D

DNX … Stick with the M5 mate after all it’s all the car any man would ever need you know ….the … worlds most fastest …. Bestest …. Most luxurious and all that :D

C1CDG

Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 with comp pack
Colour Combo
Mineral white / fox red
I’d have to go for a car over a watch to be honest. I do love a watch but don’t get the same enjoyment out of one that others do.

rsk21

Reaction score
It's a very open ended question which begs additional questions

Is the primary ntention to make an investment, to not lose any money or to simply have fun ?

Buttertubs

Achieved official socks
Reaction score
What're you driving?
997 C4S
Rolex, only because I don't have any spare driveway space.

Buttertubs

Achieved official socks
Reaction score
What're you driving?
997 C4S
Boring option - S&S ISA?

Scottyant

Reaction score
What're you driving?
718 spyder
Try @Termie aka captain sensible for financial or sensible advice he’s the wealthiest most sensible bloke I know :D

DNX

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F90 Sapphire Black M5 & F15 Titanium Silver X5 40D
Colour Combo
F90 Black / Black, F15 Silver / Black
Try @Termie aka captain sensible for financial or sensible advice he’s the wealthiest most sensible bloke I know :D

Its a toy - have the space both in my watch roll and garage - dont need a daily driver, car or watch - they have been taken care of already

@Scottyant & @Schmeel - love the banter, but am not selling the M5, I know for you it's like telling your kid to clean his room - but I am not selling the M5 even if it may be no where near the supercar that is a GT4 - it was a birthday gift to me from my late father and hence will remain with me for life

Back to the question - don't need another investment or savings plan - this is just a bit of fun, a toy to enjoy and not lose much money as I will get bored and have a different set of options in a few months when I look to move it on and get another toy...

C1CDG

Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 with comp pack
Colour Combo
Mineral white / fox red
Its a toy - have the space both in my watch roll and garage - dont need a daily driver, car or watch - they have been taken care of already

@Scottyant & @Schmeel - love the banter, but am not selling the M5, I know for you it's like telling your kid to clean his room - but I am not selling the M5 even if it may be no where near the supercar that is a GT4 - it was a birthday gift to me from my late father and hence will remain with me for life

Back to the question - don't need another investment or savings plan - this is just a bit of fun, a toy to enjoy and not lose much money as I will get bored and have a different set of options in a few months when I look to move it on and get another toy...

That’s a lovely story about the M5 :) Irreplacable.

Definately get an e92 M3. You will love it far more than a relatively boring watch on your wrist

Schmeel

Reaction score
What're you driving?
997 Hartech
Colour Combo
Black / Black

Yes just bants. You know my thoughts on the 997. Touching story on the M5 mate.

All things considered I would consider getting heavily into watches, buy and sell and trade up each time (if possible). Truly is a fascinating world, with so many unique and wonderful pieces.

Something you could in theory, earn money on and have a lot of enjoyment along the way.

S6M4

Wearing official robes
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2018 M4 competition
Colour Combo
SMB. Black leather, carbon interior and exterior
Rolex all day long for me. You clearly have no need for any of the cars or watch, but you buy another car and with that comes all the running costs etc.
The Rolex you just stick it in your watch roll and watch it appreciate.

rsk21

Reaction score

OK so the next question is do you derive your fun from looking like a wealthy chav devoid of imagination or do you prefer driving and not care what people think of you ?

:muttley:

£20k gets you a Caterham and all the real world driving fun most of us can handle in the complete opposite of the M5

They are also seriously low depreciators

Approx £25k gets you a Caterham Academy car plus a funded season of tuition and racing ........ now that's proper fun

zulfario94

Underwear thermally upgraded
Reaction score
What're you driving?
something boring
I have to agree with the rolex option.
At 20k you won't get a low mileage e46 in the current market and the same for the e9x.
Rolex are harder to come by and right now they're rocketing in value and as someone mentioned you won't have to worry about running and maintenance costs with a watch.

Scottyant

Reaction score
What're you driving?
718 spyder

All god fun mate , love it :D

I guess ultimately if financial / investment potential side isn’t an issue it boils down to what you’d prefer ….. A watch or car .

My opinion and own approach is this … you have one lovely car already so why do you need another ?! Concentrate on your watch collection (Rolex esp) .

If it’s true that Rolex are taking at least half of the UK’s supply away due to being fed up with bent ADs and flippers in turn sending the watches to the Far East where the ADs are more trustworthy… so getting a Daytona could potentially become even more expensive and difficult. One car is enough for me but you can never have enough watches IMO ………. The watch market is crazy where wealthy people now value how difficult something is to optain as more attractive / important than the item itself In turn sending prices bonkers .

No brainer if you love watches and a M5 sat in the garage !

C1CDG

Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 with comp pack
Colour Combo
Mineral white / fox red
All god fun mate , love it :D

I guess ultimately if financial / investment potential side isn’t an issue it boils down to what you’d prefer ….. A watch or car .

My opinion and own approach is this … you have one lovely car already so why do you need another ?! Concentrate on your watch collection (Rolex esp) .

If it’s true that Rolex are taking at least half of the UK’s supply away due to being fed up with bent ADs and flippers in turn sending the watches to the Far East where the ADs are more trustworthy… so getting a Daytona could potentially become even more expensive and difficult. One car is enough for me but you can never have enough watches IMO ………. The watch market is crazy where wealthy people now value how difficult something is to optain as more attractive / important than the item itself In turn sending prices bonkers .

No brainer if you love watches and a M5 sat in the garage !

Or it could backfire on them and people will just move on to another brand? I honestly don’t get why Rolex don’t just increase their list price to £20k instead of £8k or £9k or whatever they sell for, and sell as many as they can. They will get more money, but they will probably sell to genuine buyers instead of flippers.

My best mate was in an AD in Newcastle last week trying to get on a list.. the sales guy was basically smirking and being smug saying he had no chance etc. I’d have laughed back in his face and walked into Omega personally. Its rediculous that they’ve managed to make people feel special for being able to get a watch. That they usually take hone and resell online a few hours later for twice the price.

Scottyant

Reaction score
What're you driving?
718 spyder
Or it could backfire on them and people will just move on to another brand? I honestly don’t get why Rolex don’t just increase their list price to £20k instead of £8k or £9k or whatever they sell for, and sell as many as they can. They will get more money, but they will probably sell to genuine buyers instead of flippers.

My best mate was in an AD in Newcastle last week trying to get on a list.. the sales guy was basically smirking and being smug saying he had no chance etc. I’d have laughed back in his face and walked into Omega personally. Its rediculous that they’ve managed to make people feel special for being able to get a watch. That they usually take hone and resell online a few hours later for twice the price.

The main attraction of a Rolex now colin is not the watch itself but the unattainable nature of the Brand , that’s what the rich and famous want …Exclusivity , however watch lovers will always be that it’s just a shame getting Rolex’s is as you describe unless you’ve a contact .

Rolex , Patek and AP have nailed the market . All of them will never increase production in the short term because over a long term business model it only devalues a brand for short term gain like omega have done , also the above brands are privately owned and not at the mercy of being owned by big business groups like omega are in the swatch group . They value their exclusivity over profit in tern maintaining a long term gain / exclusive brand image .

Rolex ADs are in for a big shock soon if the whispers are true so he might not be laughing for much longer . .

C1CDG

Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 with comp pack
Colour Combo
Mineral white / fox red
The main attraction of a Rolex now colin is not the watch itself but the unattainable nature of the Brand , that’s what the rich and famous want …Exclusivity , however watch lovers will always be that it’s just a shame getting Rolex’s is as you describe unless you’ve a contact .

Rolex , Patek and AP have nailed the market . All of them will never increase production in the short term because over a long term business model it only devalues a brand for short term gain like omega have done , also the above brands are privately owned and not at the mercy of being owned by big business groups like omega are in the swatch group . They value their exclusivity over profit in tern maintaining a long term gain / exclusive brand image .

Rolex ADs are in for a big shock soon if the whispers are true so he might not be laughing for much longer . .

Interesting Scotty. I have to be honest I don’t follow the watch world overly closely although they do interest me. What’s brewing up with the AD’s then??

Users who are viewing this thread