Mr Reeves

Wearing official crakows
Apr 7, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo
Silverstone II/Black Novillo
Really enjoy reading this thread and great to hear some feedback on the trofeo r tyres as I’ve just bought a set! Should have them on in a couple weeks so keen to find out what they’re like

Thanks Jack! I'm not sure what you've had on your car previously but I think they're great. Seem to hold out really nicely as well and don't really go off after some punishment.

This looked amazing today!
It was nice meeting you as well :)

You too Sam! I've got some pics from the day on my camera but just need to transfer them to my PC.

Ant Man

Underwear thermally upgraded
Mar 21, 2010
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 Individual Edition
Colour Combo
Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching
This thread - better than reading Evo. Very articulate, very informative and a bloody good read :thumbsup::peace:

jackp123

Wearing official robes
Nov 30, 2017
Reaction score
What're you driving?
2004 e46 M3
Colour Combo
Carbon Black/Red
How did you get on with tyre wear on the Trofeo R’s on the long journey to the ‘Ring mate? Any noticeable inside edge wear from running track camber/toe settings?

Mr Reeves

Wearing official crakows
Apr 7, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo
This thread - better than reading Evo. Very articulate, very informative and a bloody good read :thumbsup::peace:

Far too kind as usual, sir! Thank you. :)
How did you get on with tyre wear on the Trofeo R’s on the long journey to the ‘Ring mate? Any noticeable inside edge wear from running track camber/toe settings?

Good wear rate so far from a quick visual inspection of the tyres after the trip by taking them off and having a look. Very even across the tread and still look pretty fresh to be fair. They don't really look like they have done ~1,000 miles of road driving and 20 laps of the Ring. No abnormal wear on the insides which have a deeper tread pattern than the outside of the tyre anyway.

Mr Reeves

Wearing official crakows
Apr 7, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo
Part 2 Ring trip update:

Firstly, sorry it's been a little while since part 1. I've been quite busy at the moment and I like to sit down and do proper updates to this thread whenever I get the chance.

So my first track day at the Ring with Circuit Days. There was quite a lot of anticipation with this track day as there was due to be a sizeable BMW contingent and quite a few well known Pistonheaders were attending too. I have to say, the best atmosphere of any day I have ever attended at the Ring. I had chats with loads of people and even got three very warm (no A/C!) but absolutely phenomenal laps with Ed aka @Struggle in his E92. I realised after going out with Ed that I am nowhere near the limit in my car but it was also good to see how much these cars can be pushed and how much punishment they can take. I'm not sure I am anywhere near brave enough or have the skill level to beat on my car as much as Ed does but it was great fun nevertheless. Also, Direzzas are a flipping phenomenal tyre around the Ring. That was crystal clear from laps with him.

Perfect weather throughout the day too. There was a threat of some showers which never materialised thankfully. There were a lot of crashes though, I think a total of five cars binned throughout the day which is a fair bit higher than I was expecting. Driving standards were still generally very high however and people were checking their mirrors and indicating a lot which is not something I'm used to from TF.

Is it worth doing a track day at the Ring? I would say absolutely, yes. It felt a lot more safe and secure, you have the Dottinger Hohe straight which is actually more of a thrill than you would think, and the atmosphere was great. I would say value-wise it is better as well as the quality of your time on track is higher. And when it comes to having fun, my world view is that quality trumps quantity all day long. But that's just me. The only downside that I can see is that if you get caught with bad weather then it might be a bit of a waste of time but I would say it's definitely worth the risk and the investment. The one thing I'm wondering about is doing one of the Ringmeisters prime days with Destination Nurburgring as they are more expensive but the driving standards are yet higher still (from what I've heard).

It was great to meet @ScottA1972 and some others. We all went for some train laps half way through the day and we took it easy for the first lap but went for it on the second lap. And I would have had some great footage of it if not for the fact that my gopro died literally as soon as we went under the gantry for the second lap. I kid you not. Infuriating!

Some pics of the day:

L4lll4wh.jpg

g8C6keKh.jpg

CeMSPtJh.jpg

3Bi4Nzih.jpg

R7s0b19h.jpg

av5dANch.jpg

YhpEyIYh.jpg

30mGstJh.jpg

4NX0ASeh.jpg

qnSGKC8h.jpg

Edit: forgot to add a link to the only footage I managed to get on the day:

I have to say even though I had bags of fun, the car wasn't at its best and that never improved sadly. The wheel vibration issue got worse and I was scratching my head as to what it could be. When I got back to the UK I took it to have the wheels re-balanced just to be sure and voila! That fixed the issue. I know what you are thinking; why didn't I get this done whilst I was out there? Because I'm an idiot that's why. I guess I thought it might have been some warped disks but, yeah, I was wrong about that. The brakes were absolutely fine.

I also put the dampers back to soft before I put the car in storage and noticed that the right rear damper was a few clicks looser than the rear left which is probably why the rear never felt quite right.

I played about with tyre pressures for the Trofeos and they seemed pretty stable no matter what pressures you put them on. I went as low as 2 bar at the front but I found the car understeered a bit on this pressure so raised them again to 2.3 bar where they seemed to be happiest. This tallies with pretty much every other track tyre I've tried on this car so far.

The Litchfield cooler performed well I have to say. It's not a night and day difference but the car definitely runs cooler with it and I found the car cooled much faster with it as previously stated.

I think a point that got driven home to me quite clearly from this trip, far more so than previously, is that the more you tune these cars and the more you replace bits of the suspension, the more finely everything needs to be setup and calibrated. Without this, the car can feel a little out of sorts. One thing that the Crown pointed out when they had my in to have the cooler fitted was that they noticed that the rose joints for the SPL toe arms had play in them. This is after a year of track work which surprised me a bit. I thought they would last longer to be fair. Luckily it's only £75 for all four from Martin which is not bad, but still. This could have been the culprit for the loose feeling rear end throughout as this is a VERY important arm in how the rear geometry works on these cars.

The car is booked in with Dale at Autoworks to have the new rose joints fitted and the car re-aligned so hopefully it should be in great condition for when I take it out to the Ring again at the end of August.

I also attended the E9X Caffeine and Machine meet and you can see some of my pics here in the thread if you haven't done so already: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threads/caffine-and-machine-e9x-meet.251774/page-4

Next catch up will be after the Ring trip in August.

Thanks for reading as always!

Rob

Last edited:

kevinm

On the path
Nov 24, 2021
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3 KA401
Colour Combo
Santorini Blue & Black Leather
Great write up! I too would highly recommend doing a trackday at the ring. For one, you don’t have all the slow tourists and people who panic when you come up behind them. Getting to do the straight fly out is worth it alone. Did the resurfacing take out all the bumps? It was quite sketchy in places with the bumps, it certainly wasn’t a time to lapse concentration.

I’m doing the skylimits trackday on the 23rd. I don’t have the heart to flog my e92 there all day so I’m hiring the m2 from Apex. I might venture out in the e92 in the last hour for a blast down the straight.

Mr Reeves

Wearing official crakows
Apr 7, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo
Hi Kev,

Yes, the biggest resurfacing change was the bump before Tiergarten that has now been entirely removed. It could be hairy, even in TF. Also seems smoother between the gantry and the Bilstein bridge. Some trees have also been cut back after Bellof S entering Schwalbenschwantz. I think there have been some small changes in Hatzenbach too but I didn't really notice them.

I'd say unless you have a track modified E92 you'll probably have more fun in a modified M2. I think the Apex M2 has a few bits and pieces but not sure how much they have done. If you want some cheap thrills, the Ringfreaks E90 325i is quite fun.

Enjoy the skylimits day. :)

Struggle

Wearing official crakows
Oct 7, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 Space Grey
Colour Combo
Space Grey/Black
great to meet you mate and to share some laps! i still have air con to sort for next trip. :(

I tried to message you on that whatsapp group about bearings but think i must have sent it to a different Rob. Let us know if you need em!

Mr Reeves

Wearing official crakows
Apr 7, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo
great to meet you mate and to share some laps! i still have air con to sort for next trip. :(

I tried to message you on that whatsapp group about bearings but think i must have sent it to a different Rob. Let us know if you need em!

Thanks Ed! Thanks very much for offering on the bearings, I ordered a set from Martin as they are actually quite cheap.

Struggle

Wearing official crakows
Oct 7, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 Space Grey
Colour Combo
Space Grey/Black
ok mate no worries. just straight replacements? do you know what thread they are? if they are same as mine and you have trouble again just let me know! always happy to sort mates out.

Mr Reeves

Wearing official crakows
Apr 7, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo
ok mate no worries. just straight replacements? do you know what thread they are? if they are same as mine and you have trouble again just let me know! always happy to sort mates out.

Really good question mate. I think they were straight replacements yes (for the bearings only!). I'm not sure from Martin's invoice and I don't have them here at the moment but all he mentions is 'SPL RHS rod Ends RTAEL x 2' on the invoice.

Very much appreciated on the offer! I mean these will probably wear out again by next year so I'll definitely give you a shout. :)

On looking at the SPL site I'm pretty sure this is them: https://www.splparts.com/products/jm10tc.html I got two right hand thread and two left hand thread.

Struggle

Wearing official crakows
Oct 7, 2014
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 Space Grey
Colour Combo
Space Grey/Black
hi,

yes i think 5/8th UNF is what i have mate. the ones i have i think will be alot better but its up to you man. I'm happy to send out so just let us know!!

You gonna replace all of yours?

Mr Reeves

Wearing official crakows
Apr 7, 2016
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E90 M3 Manual
Colour Combo
hi,

yes i think 5/8th UNF is what i have mate. the ones i have i think will be alot better but its up to you man. I'm happy to send out so just let us know!!

You gonna replace all of yours?

I'll definitely take them if you're offering! Please let me know how much I owe you and I can either paypal or bank transfer, whichever works best for you.

Yes, I replaced all for on the toe arms but I'm probably going to have to do the same again next year if these new ones are of the same quality.

Users who are viewing this thread