Rob's E46 M3

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by Rob043, Dec 1, 2015.

1. 3 Jan 2018 at 10:31 AM #121
    Rob043

Rob043 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Cheers Terry, there is plenty more work needed on the rest of the paint. But the buff over with Super resin looks good until I get time to finish the rest with real correction.

I'd like to get the front bumper repainted soon as it is covered in chips and has been poorly painted previously. I'd then like to see about covering it with a clear protection wrap, but need to find somewhere that does it.

Also on the paint front, I dug out the spare paint I have from when the rear bumper and wings were done. I'll try and repair a couple of chips with that....

The lack of further progress on the paintwork is due to spending the holiday doing some mechanical jobs. I picked up a few parts before the holiday to let me tick off a few jobs on the front end:

. New nearside wishbone, slight ball joint play as an MOT advisory
    . New BM Conversions power steering hose- usual E46 weep and corrosion
    . CPV seal, it has been in the tool box since I got the vanos seals.
    . Gear lever ball plastic cup/bush
    . Reinforcement plate bolts, and other screws for plastic panels
    . Painting of various minor bits of corrosion

I'd also treated myself to a desiccant type dehumidifier before the holiday. The condensing type was on all the time and not getting humidity below 70% on my gauge. Better than the 80-90-100% outside, but not quite good enough.

This is the one I got:

https://www.meacodehumidifiers.co.uk/meaco-junior-8-litre-dehumidifier-dd8lj?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rGIur-72AIVqRbTCh0hKwpZEAYYASABEgJyRvD_BwE

About £160. There are cheaper ones that are similar, but from reading reviews this one seemed worth it since it was said to be good at low temperatures. It is the base model from Meaco, since I don't need functions like an air cleaning ioniser and moving Louvre. A friend loves his top spec version he uses in the house, or in his work vehicles to dry them out, and I borrowed it to test previously too.

This meant that I had a very comfortable environment to work in, especially with the carpet down. I use the lowest setting of 60% RH on the dehumidifier which it happily maintains. Also means I'm confident in the car drying when prepping for POR 15.

I took a few days to work through the above, since I painted a few corroded spots as well, on the front sub frame where I had access with the parts removed, near the roll bar mounts on the shell (lower protruding edge here), and part of the power steering hard line, also other little spots on the shell to keep it good, inner track rods.

I didn't do a great job with pictures, but all in all, the front is much nicer underneath now.

Here is the new hose, bolts and crush washers included- so don't get washers from BMW like I did if you get the hose from BM Conversions... I have them spare if anyone wants them send me your address (two washers for each end of the high pressure hose).

[​IMG]

measured for ordering stainless P clips:

[​IMG]

20mm ones ordered, I have 3 of these spare too:

[​IMG]

These will fix with M6 stainless hardware to the old mounting points.

Old hose off and draining:

[​IMG]

The rubber mounts for the high pressure hose could potentially be saved. There is a 10mm nut on the protruding thread to each end, and at each end of the rubber is a hex, 18mm or similar, so if you can hold that with a spanner you can remove the 10mm nut without twisting and failing the rubber.

[​IMG]

Furry bits on the hose behind:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were cleaned up and treated with POR15 system along with the other bits mentioned which I forgot to photograph:

[​IMG]

The reinforcement plate was pretty messy, this was the cleaner side:

[​IMG]

Degreaser and a scotch brite pad sorted it, removing the overspray of factory under seal quite easily:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CPV valve is pretty tight for access!!

[​IMG]

My notes for anyone wanting to do it, once the reinforcement plate is removed:

It is a very tricky spot to get at! There are two modes of access from underneath, directly up the side of the block, and reaching up and round the manifold. I used a 1/2 inch ratchet with a flat driver bit up the side of the block just to get it loose a fraction of a turn. Then a 1/4 inch setup with the same bit, reaching over from the far side of the manifold to unwind and remove. Getting it back in went more quickly than I expected, as I had to hold the valve unit on the tool and feed it in to position, since my fingers cant reach close enough. Potentially a very tricky step. I only dropped it on my face a couple of times! Glasses required.

Residual oil weeping from the CPV and power steering were cleaned up with brake cleaner/brush and rag to keep it looking nice underneath.

My first use of a ball joint splitter went well. Old wishbone was off quite easily. POR 15 applied to surface rusted bits once cleaned up. Used my Dad's 35+ year old ball joint fork. It'll not have been used in anger since my birth!

Bush transferred to the new TWR arm:

[​IMG]

Fitted with new bolts on the reinforcement plate:

[​IMG]

Access is tight especially for the inner nut, a spanner is fine. I used a 32mm spanner (the one I bought for the fan), over the end of the 22mm spanner for extra leverage. Had to guess at the torque.

TWR arm is believed to be a genuine part due to the markings removed from the arm, and since they are OE for other BMW parts while being under Lemforder group. Apparently. Much cheaper to buy at approx. £110 from Mister Auto, compared to at least £180 for Lemforder branded ones.

Gear lever removed, new bush in place with grease:

[​IMG]

Back in the car:

[​IMG]

This is really tricky with the exhaust and prop in place. Not recommended! I've seen threads saying you can do it from inside only- I can't see how you get the C clip back on the selector rod from inside the car, I reached up underneath to get it on, very tight hand space here.

New ball bush will hopefully help a little, my gear linkage wasn't bad by any means, but there is some slack I wanted to try and reduce. It seems that the bushes holding the alloy carrier part to the car and gearbox, the bit that the new bushing sits in, allow it to move quite a bit. Seems like the setup is intended to insulate vibration a lot, but as a result can become looser with time. If the exhaust and prop are ever out then I would replace the associated bushes for the alloy carrier arm.

No test driving of all this yet, since the weather has been poor. Nearly took it out on new years eve to go to a bonfire event 50 miles away with friends. I was glad I didn't when I stopped in the Skoda on the M74 motorway just south of Abington to check on 5 crashed vehicles on a freak bit if ice on a 300m stretch of road. Rain everywhere else. Must have been a wee patch of hail stones.

I did get an excellent Christmas present, sort of. Forgot I'd given my mum my old head gasket to take to the framers:

[​IMG]

Hoping to put it in the living room, as a reminder of my poor diagnosis skills, and ambitious mechanical skills!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. 3 Jan 2018 at 11:03 AM #122
    theworkerb

theworkerb Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    03 E46 M3 - Mystic Blue
    Great update :)

3. 3 Jan 2018 at 11:23 AM #123
    MrT1977

MrT1977 Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    2005 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan Silver/Imola Red
    Great update and giving me motivation to get cracking again on mine.

4. 5 Jan 2018 at 8:54 AM #124
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Thanks guys, I'm always itching to go and do something to the car. Of course it should be driven more, but in this weather my enjoyment is in the fettling season!

I had a little time last night, so continued with some polishing and blacking of wheel arches.

I'm adding sealant everywhere except the roof just now. Using Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

First coat, mid buff, on the boot lid. Reflecting the foil on the door nicely.

[​IMG]

I'll add another coat, then at least two coats of H.D. wax.

I've corrected (de swirled) the paint on the bonnet already, and will correct the roof also, before it is sealed and waxed. All other areas have been improved with Super resin polish, but that has just concealed swirls rather than correcting them for now.

I then got out the Auto Glym Bumper Care and blacked the wheel arch liners.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

In the process I also changed out the two hex head screws for what I think are the correct ones.

I found a bag of them I ordered a while ago, and replaced some other old ones in the arch liners:

[​IMG]

That's all for today.

5. 11 Jan 2018 at 11:17 PM #125
    grchmason

grchmason Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi
    Great work as always Rob! Really enjoyed the update as always.

I think I best change out my Power steering pipe before it leaks lol! I was going to go genuine Bmw but at £100 for yours less than half the price of Oe hose, a great saving well found, is there any noise/whine from the pump at all with this hose ?

6. 15 Jan 2018 at 10:15 AM #126
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    I just had the car out yesterday for the first time.

I thought it was louder at first, but I was probably overly worried and maybe there was still air to bleed. After the first low speed manoeuvres, for the rest of the day, including parking several times, I didn't notice it at all. So I'd say for me it is quiet. It has been suggested by others that it is the pump that makes the noise, and that this is better masked by the OE hose, so maybe a more worn pump will make noise. My car has 114,000 miles under it, and as far as I know the pump is original.

Hopefully the above is useful to others too...

7. 13 Mar 2018 at 9:53 AM #127
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Nearly two months since my last update seems like a long time, but I've been saving up news. This will be a bit of a read, so please settle in.

The car had a stint as a daily commuter for a week at the end of January. My wife and I went to stay at my granddad's place, 25 miles from town. He was needing extra care which my wife was able to cover since she is amazing and was between jobs anyway.

So I took the chance at using the M3 like a real car. The weather was mixed that week, some rain, some snow, some salt, but the car was a joy to use. Heated seats on a cold morning are lovely. The road to town has a few miles of nice turns, so there was some enjoyment to be had depending on conditions.

I used the Skoda for the other two weeks we were there because it got colder, snowier and more salty and I was happier to tuck the BMW back in the garage. Great to use it like that for a week though.

Last month I made moves to sort out the wheel finish. A friendly cutter (Terry) had given me the name of the shop that did his wheels in shadow chrome. My 18's were fresh when I got them over two years ago, but I hadn't appreciated how far they were from the original style shadow chrome.

I got the car up and on to 4 axle stands for the first time to get the wheels off:

[​IMG]

Wheels in my mate's van:

[​IMG]

I first tried a local place, dropped the wheels off and was then asked to give a paint code for the silver element of the finish. I couldn't find that, and had no faith they could do the finish as I wanted since they had no examples to hand. They also wanted £390 for the job.

Picked them back up and called BJV engineering in Hemel Hempstead as recommended by Terry. Also I've seen them mentioned elsewhere.

They were great. Happy for me to courier the wheels down, they would re pack once done and I'd book the collection again. Their hours are 7am-3pm, so at the second attempt to deliver the courier left the wheels with a neighbouring company. Collection was fine. They did a great job re packing them and taped up the outer lips to protect them. £216 as well!

I booked the delivery with Yodel for about £33 each way (consignment of 4 boxes). So a good price all in.

Valentines day coincided with having the Skoda full of tires. A good holder for flowers!

[​IMG]

Packing the 4 rims was a bit of a mission at work, carting them up to the attic, packing then back down for collection. Their not light!

I was very excited when they arrived back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look superb!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a new set of stickers from ebay for £10 that seem genuine:

[​IMG]

They are now back on the car with the inside faces given a wipe over with Super Resin polish, two coats of Auto Glym sealant and layer of wax. I'll do the outer faces the same now they are on the car.

Pics to come of them on the car when it is next out. Hopefully soon as temperatures are on the up and salting is down.

While the car was up without wheels I took the chance to service the brakes:

[​IMG]

New fluid through all corners.

Slider pins greased up:

[​IMG]

Callipers removed, pad contacts cleaned and greased:

[​IMG]

checked the Vanos was still shiny :D

[​IMG]

I also picked up new number plates from my local BMW dealer:

[​IMG]

Not yet fitted.

Then I had time for a little job, also thanks to Terry's generosity who had sent me his old bonnet catches from 'Rise of the Pheonix'. They were so much cleaner than mine, so were a great improvement.

Old ones:

[​IMG]

Not too bad, but the other side isn't so hot:

[​IMG]

Replacements from the Phoenix:

[​IMG]

Old locations marked with tape:

[​IMG]

The bolts were kind and all came loose, although with more of a bang in one case. A quality good fitting torx should be used I'd say.

Old ones off:

[​IMG]

Replacements clean and vs. the old:

[​IMG]

And finally fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased with the improvement. Thanks Terry!!

Final update for today is my other car, the Skoda, has been replaced...

[​IMG]

After a little over a years faithful service, it has been replaced with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Clio RS 197. In red.

Quite a change in the engine character. From about 208 lb.ft at 1750rpm in the Skoda to around 155 lb.ft at 5500rpm in the clio! My wife says it is slow as she's been so used to the turbo torque I think. Despite initially liking the looks, she isn't a fan of the small, noisy(miltek), stiff French hatch.

The Skoda was a superb car, very practical with the space it had, and nicely quick especially for the economy it would provide. But it wasn't terribly exciting and ours was looking tired in palaces after being a family car all its life until we got it. I was ready to try something newer and different.

The Clio so far is a riot. It seems to need a thermostat as it isn't getting up to temperature, so that will hopefully help the poor economy a little. It does encourage revving it a lot more, but is fun with it and feels like a go cart. Sporty versions with wider bodywork for more track width is a winning formula for me.

Its quite darty and feels like the rear is less settled despite faithfully following the front. It might feel better planted with better tires since the rears are cheap! It is doing well with me for now and makes any trip more fun.

Itching to get the M3 out this weekend though to remind me of the extra experience it offers....

8. 14 Mar 2018 at 6:24 PM #128
    grchmason

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi
    Hi Rob

Your most welcome!

I'm just glad I could help out and you put the bonnet catches to good use, they look amazing and such a difference :thumbsup:

Great news too your really happy with the refurbers BJV engineering

There price's and more importantly there understanding of that perfect OEM shadow chrome finish is amazing...... I was lucky to have a Genuine never refurbed 18 in shadow chrome and there finish is identical :cool:

Fantastic updates the car really is getting the love it deserves and it shows, real credit to you Rob.

Speak soon

Terry

9. 17 May 2018 at 12:30 PM #129
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    I was a bit deflated the other day when I went to print out some of this thread for my cars history file to find that the images didn't show! Some postimage issue has led them to change from postimage.org to postimage.cc

Now if you have the same problem, edit your post and change .org to .cc in all your photo links. I'll work back and update most of mine again, but after the effort to sort it from photobucket, the next time it goes I don't think i'll be updating all the thread again.

So on to updates. The car is running nicely. There is sort of a job list, but nothing really feels urgent since the car is so nice to drive.

I had it out in the sun the other day and had time to give it a clean and buff off some remaining bits of wax I missed in the not so well lit garage over winter.

[​IMG]

I am very happy with the results of the polishing and waxing. It is far from perfect overall, but removing the swirls and getting a good layering of protection on it is nice.

[​IMG]

Bonnet:

[​IMG]

Roof:

[​IMG]

Metallic fleck is clear to see, and just some random scratches remain, and some reflections of delicate little clouds in the sky!
    So nice to have some sun to see the difference its had made.

I like looking at how bad other cars are to make me feel best :rolleyes:

A neighbours neglected civic:

[​IMG]

So many cars that do look polished have machine marks too, so it is not an easy thing to do well. I've learned a lot and looking forward to time to do the clio or my wifes Octavia to hone my skills....

Besides enjoying the car on some excellent drives, It got its annual service yesterday. New oil, oil filter and air filter, using Castrol 10w-60 and Mann filters. The oil filter comes with a nice bag of new o rings and crush washers, so worth going for.

I also got Martyn's tool on to my laptop, as well as registered the NavCoder software. So far I've added sport button memory and adjusted the warm up lights so that they are all on from 20 degrees C and the last goes off just 10 degrees above stock (70 I think). I'll have a look at what I can do with nav coder.

I also had a fault with a brake pressure sensor:

[​IMG]

No 1 at the front (right in pic)

[​IMG]

Pressure reading goes to an error as I apply pressure and reach about 20bar, then normal reading resumes after that. So I expect to be fitting a new sensor soon. Fault cleared I will try it on the road first. (INPA pressure read outs used)

I've had some great drives in the 197 Clio and the M3 recently. Such different cars. The clio can make you think you don't need the M3, for mad grip, handling response and fun on smaller roads it is superb. But the M3 counters as being so much better for a longer journey with more comfort and quieter when cruising. But then makes a far far superior sound when desired. The sound is sublime, and hasn't failed to be appreciated every time im in it after the Clio. The extra power, speed, music and the handling at greater pace all make it wonder why you have the clio!

I've missed the early spring tradition of a UK driving trip this year, so hoping for a couple of nights in the Yorkshire dales soon to explore there having done north Scotland the last two years. Best get this sensor issue sorted...

10. 22 May 2018 at 10:41 AM #130
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    [​IMG]

I had a supercar experience day at the weekend. It'll have to be up there as possibly the best gift ever, well done wife. It was at Ingleston showground by Edinburgh Airport, on a short track with a good selection of turns. I was giggling and grinning all day once the driving was underway.

The whole thing was very intense and a complete sensory overload. It was my first time on a track, other than some indoor carting about three times in my life, and one lap of Nurburgring on a snowy, cold November morning years ago. The cars were all fast and capable to a point that my brain was the weakest link in how fast I could go. There was an instructor in each car and all were good at helping with instruction on brake/power/turn and shift points. The format was to queue for the cars you had picked to drive, hop in when it was your turn, they got you belted in and the seat adjusted, then a brief bit of chat before you went to the entry for the track and waited for a gap to get going on your three laps.

First drive was the BMW i8. This felt a lot faster than expected, presumably because the torque from the motor is so high that a large part of peak power is available at any speed. The three cylinder engine had a faint thrumming noise behind, but for the most part it whooshed forward on magic! My first lap being my first lap was tentative, but after that I was quite confident and able to get round quite quick with plenty of speed! Really buzzing after the first one, I was eagre for another hit in the next car.

Next was a V10 Audi R8. That sounded rather excellent while having a bit more speed I think. It was a spyder with the roof down, which helped the sound and fun. I managed to push it pretty well and get some tyre squealing on the way round to the point that there was some nice rubber smell once we pulled in. The instructor was great at helping with keeping speed up on the laps.

After that was a Nissan GTR. It was the least exciting for me, but I wanted to try a turbo car. I do prefer the N/A engine sound. It was however exceedingly quick and didn’t fail to blitz out the three laps in no time at all.

[​IMG]

Finally, after 45 minutes queueing, I tried the Lamborghini Gallardo, a 560 I think. It was worth the wait. Spyder again, and the sound was incredible to me. Such loud screaming brilliance from the exhaust. My brain just melted, I loved it. Grip and pace a plenty. It had the tightest foot well, very offset and confined.

[​IMG]

Then there was a passenger hot lap in a Supercharged atom, driver sending the car round turns usually sideways and always at impossible looking entry speeds!

[​IMG]

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the drive home in the E46 after. It really is a good step towards such super cars in large part thanks to it's soundtrack. It was really nice on the route home over the hills. I certainly recommend a day like this to anyone though, it was great to see what all the fuss is about with these kind of performance cars, and feel how they go.

[​IMG]

The day has left me thinking more about track days again. Maybe an evening session at Knockhill with the Clio for starters, just because it would be a cheaper car to use for consumables and risk on the first try...

[​IMG]

11. 23 May 2018 at 10:51 AM #131
    grchmason

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi
    Rob that looked a awesome day out! You have a Keeper there :thumbsup: What a cool present.

Would love a shot in that Atom :peace:

12. 23 May 2018 at 11:17 AM #132
    TheBiker

TheBiker Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 + E92 M3, RS Clio, 748SP, GSXR K6, RS250
    Nice thread, I'm also a Renault Sport Clio owner along side he M3, mines a MK2 172 Cup - they make the 197 feel like a civilised daily :muttley:

13. 24 May 2018 at 8:55 AM #133
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Thanks guys,

Yes I'm sure I remember the 197 being bad mouthed at the time it came out thanks to the vast increase in dimensions and weight over the mk2. Have you driven both, is there much difference? It's all relative, it feels so different to the M3 with 300kg less weight about it!

14. 24 May 2018 at 1:14 PM #134
    TheBiker

TheBiker Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 + E92 M3, RS Clio, 748SP, GSXR K6, RS250
    Yep driven all the generations except the new turbo version, enjoyed the Williams but felt it needed a tad more power (reminded me more of the saxo VTS in the sense it's raw but got it in a straight and it just doesn't deliver) 172 Cup is my favourite (own one that is going pretty seriously modified once the M3 is finished) Trophy is massively over-rated, great car but not worth the extra premium over a 182 Cup.. nice collectors car to have in the garage being only 500 on the road. 197/200 feels very lardy than the Mk2 but the chassis & brakes feel you with so much confidence but they do feel underpowered & sadly installing the Megane 225 lump just makes them feel like a poor mpg delivering diesel.

Guess it's always personal preference and we will all have different optinions on the matter! Only thing with the 197 is watch the gearbox, they love a synchro especially 3rd & exhaust manifold flexi's fail which is subframe off to replace... still much cheaper to fix than these old e46's M3's lol

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  15. 25 May 2018 at 10:28 AM #135
    m3driven

m3driven Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    That's some superb work!

16. 28 May 2018 at 7:42 AM #136
    Jaacck

Jaacck Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    A3 S Line 15'
    Colour Combo:
    Black
    Awesome update, enjoyed reading that

17. 31 May 2018 at 2:59 PM #137
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Thanks guys!

Biker- I'll need to get a run in a mk2 at some point then. The 197 feels a lot lighter than the M3, so its quite a difference for me. Setting myself the goal to take it for my first track day this year.

I think last weekend was worthy of an update.

Saturday was laid back, I finished building some bike wheels for a friend and prepared my new front discs to go on by adding some paint to the holes and edges to hold off corrosion a bit longer.

Sun soaked job on the balcony :)

[​IMG]

Sunday was then a pretty big day out. I'd bought a used standard exhaust for the Clio on ebay and needed to collect it. It was near Leeds so I thought I could get my first drive through the Dales on the way. As it happened, I was ebay-ing a cheap old bike for a colleague, and that was sold to someone just down the road a bit. Although changing the delivery address meant that I had to venture on to Derby for that instead. But once your at Leeds from Scotland, what's another 60 miles.

[​IMG]

Rather than take my wifes TDi Octavia, and economise, it seemed like a great Grand Touring job for the M3. So the back seats were folded, bike dismantled and bundled in(wheels, pedals and seat removed for easy, safe loading).

We went down the M6 to Tebay, then off to find Buttertubs Pass. A brief stint in a vintage tractor rally, and a stop for brunch and we were at the Pass. It isn't long, just over 5 miles, but a very nice drive. Nice route in from Tebay as well. Then on to the Ribblehead viaduct. The road there was very nice indeed. A lot of bikes out by this point in the day too. The scenery looked great in the sun, tarmac seemed smooth and there were plenty of nice open turns to enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aysgarth Falls looked like it was worth a look. We visited very briefly as it was packed with other tourists, so wasn't at its idyllic best!

Then we went about battering up and down the A1 to make our delivery and collection.

550 miles done by the time we were home 12 hours after leaving. Tiring, but a great day out. The M3 did a great job load lugging. A little over 30mpg all day as well.

It has since been washed. The windscreen was very heavily dosed in fly's! I should have tried to keep on top of it with the wipe/wash, but decided non smearing it about was the better option.

[​IMG]

18. 20 Jun 2018 at 2:39 PM #138
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    I got a good weekend of car work on last weekend. Although for the first time it was split with the Clio!

The standard exhaust went on to the clio, fitted up fine and sounds good to me. There is a small blow probably the flexi pipe that tends to go, so I will try and get that fixed on the warranty in coming months.

For the BMW, job list included fitting the new brake pressure sensor, and new front discs and pads.

A Halfords visit procured the required 27mm spanner for the sensor:

[​IMG]

This fitted on fine, but with a fairly limited range of movement.

[​IMG]

It is the front sensor I needed to replace, on the right in the photo. I removed the brake pipe above it with an 11mm spanner and that gave me just enough movement to loosen and replace the sensor. I did this as fast as possible while flied pissed out of the reservoir and down to the rag I'd stuffed in below.

I got the new sensor in and the brake pipe re attached well before the reservoir went dry. I'm hoping this will mean it wont need any bleeding but I've not tested it yet.

I then got started with the discs:

[​IMG]

New Performance friction pads going in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It isn't all done yet, should get finished at the weekend or the following week and then have it out for a test.

I've booked my first track day for next Thursday. An evening session at Knockhill. Quite looking forward to it of course. I'm fairly sure I'll take the Clio since it is a cheaper car to deal with if there are any problems. I can then think about trying the BMW in future once I know my way around a bit more....

19. 25 Jun 2018 at 10:01 AM #139
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Nearside disc and pads fitted at the weekend, now I need to get out and test it in the sun!

Despite having had the discs off only a year or so ago, and having no problem with the retaining screws- this time one decided not to move. The 5mm allen head quickly rounded out, and no torx bit would save me! Tried a blast of heat from a blow torch to no avail. Then realised that with my drill handy, I could sacrifice the old disc bell to make progress.

So I stitch drilled the alloy around the bolt:

[​IMG]

This worked nicely to leave only minimal metal to break away. A clout to the old disc with a hammer and off it came.

[​IMG]

Leaving the screw to be easily gripped and removed with mole-grips.

[​IMG]

Disaster averted and the new disc is on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get a replacement stud to add next time the wheel is off.

Looks much better with fresh discs. The old ones were not so hot! Bed in procedure now carried out on the pads.

[​IMG]

I also managed a record of sorts, after bedding in brakes, the range on the computer went to zero and it was a further 10 miles almost before I got fuel. I've not had the gauge down that far before!

[​IMG]

From that far past 'empty' it took 60.5 litres for the filler pump to click off (£85!). its supposed to be a 63 litre tanks isn't it? So there might have been a few miles left in it yet. displayed MPG was a little optimistic, more like 27.4 by calculation.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  20. 29 Oct 2018 at 3:43 PM #140
    Rob043

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    A final update...

After getting the new front discs and pads on, I saw a cutter selling an Intravee system for the car, and decided I'd enjoy the extra features and easy ipod access. Nice period upgrade for the car. I was quite pleased with the installation and everything was well tied down neatly in the boot's server tower:

Picking the wires to connect:
    [​IMG]

Stripping down:
    [​IMG]

Drilling for support of the amp:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All fixed in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was very pleased with the increased flexibility.

The car was now looking and running as well as I have ever wanted, and I have been sure to use it as much as possible over the summer. There are a few favourite routes I have locally and it was driving superbly on them and whenever I could stop I'd take some time to admire the car. It is becoming a classically gorgeous vehicle.

However, I had been thinking more about moving on to the next experience, so after some E92 test drives, I decided I'd put up an advert for the car and see if their was any interest. Imagining that with the advert only on cutters that a buyer would take some time to be found.

In fact I had the buyer in touch the very next day! After much messaging and sending numerous pictures of the car, the new owner made a 300 mile trip, all was well and I have now sold my M3!

I surprised myself, and many of my friends and family, as I do go on about the time I spend on the car quite a bit! The new owner is obviously a keen enthusiast too, and if we are lucky its adventures might be seen again on here... I certainly hope so.

I'm hoping to be back in an M3 soon, so with this book closing, another can begin.

Here are a few final photos, some new from the summer, and some older favourites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The End.

DuncS3 likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)