Road Tax

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by faisal1203, May 6, 2021.

1. 6 May 2021 at 3:54 PM #21
    T5Pilot

T5Pilot Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    F82 M4CP & S1000XR
    Colour Combo:
    Black Sapphire / Sakhir Orange / Carbon
    Well, 67% of the cost of our fuel is already tax of various descriptions.
    With that low mileage, I don't really see the point of owning it, but you do, so fair play. If your 1k miles is over, say the 4 month summer period, why don't you just do monthly direct debit & have it SORN'd for the other 8 months?

5tuart likes this.
  2. 6 May 2021 at 4:03 PM #22
    Dcdad43

Dcdad43 Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    It may well be that the logic of roadtax/VED being scrapped and put on the fuel is being ignored as the big plan is to go for road charging via GPS based road use tracking.

The logic of polluter pays is a good one IMHO, do very, very low miles in a gas guzzler means you pay less than a gazillion miles in your hybrid fuel miser mobile.

The logic falls down with EVs.
    It is possible now to know remotely how much leccy you have put into your fairy dust consuming EV, more leccy means more miles done so the more tax you should pay to use the roads. The Govt want to encourage EVs so won't go down that route IMHO any time soon. BUT when EVs reach a tipping point at some time in the future the govt will have to take up a way of charging for road use and my shilling in on GPS tracking rather than a less mind your own business where I have been Govt approach based on leccy input to your EV.

All us E92 M3 owners are looking forward to them being 40 years old and then all things remaining the same, zero, £0 road tax. :beer::dance::refuck:

I've already got one old V8 that is on zero road tax:bugeye:, another would be heaven.:D

3. 6 May 2021 at 4:13 PM #23
    5tuart

5tuart Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    M2 Competition
    Colour Combo:
    LBB
    I know it seems ridiculous to resent £600/year if you're driving a luxury car that cost £££££, but that's exactly what I felt with my E92. Also it going up every year is a real piss-take. There's zero justification for that. It was one of the factors in getting rid of the E92, even though I am paying 475 for the M2, which is only marginally better. (If I kept it over 5 years, then it would be a bargain!)
    My main complaint was being in the highest tax bracket. I know it's not a Prius, but it also wasn't an Aventador. How was I paying the same tax for a BMW 3 series than if I had a Lambo?? That really pissed me off.

I am seriously looking at a 2006 car next, current max tax is £330.

4. 6 May 2021 at 5:24 PM #24
    Snowdog

Snowdog Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    2002 M3
    Colour Combo:
    TS/Black
    I stand to be educated on this one, but if the “goal” is to create disincentive for vehicles that are perceived to be on the wrong end of the scale of pollutants, where do filthy old smoker HGVs stand?

I only raise that on the back of the laughable view that diesel was somehow “better” than petrol, which was always an enigma to me, seeing the particulate filth they belch out, along with the blackened buildings in city centres.

I genuinely do not know, but am sure someone here will.

The other thing that doesn’t stack up in the government model as I see it, is that tax for my E46 would be more if it was a newer model. Same engine, and arguably, even though mine is well maintained, must be putting out more pollutants than a “last off the production line” example, with fewer miles. How does that work then, if the foundation for it all is based on emissions?

5. 6 May 2021 at 5:29 PM #25
    GU60

GU60 Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    2010 BMW E93 M3, 2016 Ford Mustang 5.0, 2015 Range Rover V8 S/C, 2019 VW e-Golf
    It’s a wealth tax.

6. 6 May 2021 at 5:54 PM #26
    Wii

Wii On the path

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3
    This

I do minimal millage in the E46 because I don't use it for my commute and have decided to only tax it for the summer months than tax it for a whole year and rarely use it.

JamboM3 likes this.
  7. 6 May 2021 at 7:00 PM #27
    m3 paul

m3 paul Wearing official robes

What're you driving?:
    F10 M5
    Colour Combo:
    Monte Carlo Blue / Silverstone
    Oh deep joy. I have my warranty renewal end of this month, a service and I am waiting for my tax renewal letter. Beans on toast for me then :bugeye:

8. 6 May 2021 at 7:16 PM #28
    be02ese

be02ese Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2005 BMW M3
    I probably wouldn’t mind the car tax bill if I could see it being ploughed into the road network. But so many parts are in appalling condition.

In a stupid Peugeot on 16in alloys and squidgy tyres you probably wouldn’t know, but in a real car it’s a nightmare.

JwilliamsM and mjn like this.
  9. 6 May 2021 at 8:32 PM #29
    JoePeps

JoePeps Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    M3/XJS/V4S
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini
    Its not the govs fault that you don’t use your car though, they don’t put a mileage cap on so you could do 200k and get your money’s worth if you wanted.

Not aimed specifically at you Colin but the forum is full of people with nice cars earning decent money, it’s a drop in the ocean.
    Think about someone earning bugger all with a £500 focus paying £200 tax, 40% of the cars value compared to your 2.5%....

325i and Captain B like this.
  10. 6 May 2021 at 9:47 PM #30
    ExCop530dT

ExCop530dT Standard amice donned

What're you driving?:
    E39 Ex Police 530d Touring
    Colour Combo:
    Brilliant White & Black Leather
    Hi,

It'll continue to rise significantly over the next 5+ years and then beyond as well !

It'll coerce more of the driving public in 'bread and butter' cars to ditch them and go electric over the next few years. It'll push a growing number of enthusiast car owners with interesting examples of petrol powered cars to move away too. Those with wallets fat enough to absorb the extra cost will continue to run their petrol powered interesting cars etc.

I think those owners currently in Southern Ireland will be thinking they wish they paid as little as £600 for VED !

Cheers, Dennis!

11. 6 May 2021 at 9:55 PM #31
    Termie

Termie Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    M3 F80 CP (67)
    Colour Combo:
    Tanzanite Blue / Black
    Note that the £40k upper limit for the luxury car tax has been in place for years and the limit has never been increased despite inflation, etc. Given that is what a Golf R costs these days...

12. 6 May 2021 at 10:15 PM #32
    be02ese

be02ese Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2005 BMW M3
    Personally I can live the tax cost as it stands, if it was double the price I might consider getting rid of the car. Which I guess is what the government wants. Everyone has a ‘breaking point’

As I said above though, it would be easier to deal with higher costs if you could see the return. This government sound like they want to invest in big road infrastructure project, but the bloody menace green lobby, no job, tree botherers want it all stopped.

Snowdog and mjn like this.
  13. 7 May 2021 at 9:16 AM #33
    Snowdog

What're you driving?:
    2002 M3
    Colour Combo:
    TS/Black
    and there’s a large part of the problem, and frustration, as experienced from the standpoint of a “driver” rather than someone that just finds themselves owning a vehicle to get from A to B because the public transport infrastructure is sh1t.

whilst the old phrase “road tax” was done away with long ago, as said already, the reality is that VED is stealth/wealth tax doled out on a captive user base. It’s certainly not used exclusively to fund road improvements or repairs. I’m thinking if it was, driving would be a much happier experience.

I’d wager only a miniscule proportion trickles down to local authorities for that. If the figures were available I’d love to see what %age eventually gets used for that.

be02ese likes this.
  14. 7 May 2021 at 9:24 AM #34
    T5Pilot

T5Pilot Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    F82 M4CP & S1000XR
    Colour Combo:
    Black Sapphire / Sakhir Orange / Carbon
    You can always find out, submit a freedom of information request...

15. 7 May 2021 at 9:45 AM #35
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    I still don’t understand why I need to pay road tax for both my cars, when I can only drive one at a time.
    Also don’t understand why no claims bonus, meaning, you haven’t claimed for any accident, cannot be used on all your cars. When did the public decide English is irrelevant?

mjn, Snowdog and be02ese like this.
  16. 7 May 2021 at 9:57 AM #36
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    Very true also if you don’t use your NCB for 2 years you lose it?!- why?!

Just a big con

17. 7 May 2021 at 10:15 AM #37
    HerrBonden

HerrBonden Rocking a new hat

What're you driving?:
    2019 M4CP
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue
    Careful, with that logic, you're in danger of contradicting the age old argument that cyclists riding their 6-10kg bikes that emit zero emissions should pay "road tax".

This is a gripe of mine though. EVs and hybrids are heavy and do contribute to road damage. Road repairs is not linked to Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) though and the income the government receive does not fund road repairs, road repairs are paid through Council Tax and Income Tax.

grdaniel, Snowdog and mjn like this.
  18. 7 May 2021 at 10:18 AM #38
    Snowdog

What're you driving?:
    2002 M3
    Colour Combo:
    TS/Black
    I’m sure that’s true, but I fear all it would do is boil my piss even further, and it’s clearly not going to get better anytime soon. So for now, I’ll continue plaguing my local authority with pothole reports etc.

But they’ve got us by the short and curlies there too, as many will know all too well, to their cost - making a successful claim is a biased process where the innocent motorist is concerned, and furthermore the criteria for poor road being repaired has shifted i.e. potholes now have to be deeper and bigger. Then there’s the other one, which TBH I don’t know if it progressed, but the government was considering allowing local authorities to effectively reclassify local roads to the point where they didn’t need to repair them at all. File along with other dumbass ideas such as smart motorways.

T5Pilot likes this.
  19. 7 May 2021 at 11:11 AM #39
    Dcdad43

Dcdad43 Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...4/only-a-quarter-of-car-tax-is-spent-on-roads

Then more recently from the RAC foundation
    Since 1936 motoring taxes have not been earmarked for roads funding, although this has recently been altered and, from 2020/21, all revenue raised from Vehicle Excise Duty in England will be allocated to a new National Roads Fund and invested directly back into the major road network.

Taking look at you county council or metropolitan authorities accounts might give you some idea of how much they had to spend on roads but they don't look after all the roads, many are looked after by highways England
    Highways England Company Limited is the government-owned company charged with operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads.

No need to faff about with using the FOI act.

Most of the info is out there if you know where to look.

The financial, sometimes ring fenced budgets, for public sector spending and the notion of where the tax comes from is where the benefit from its spending is focussed has never been a thing generally speaking, looking into such matter will will turn your p!55 to steam in seconds.
    Although if from 2020/21, all revenue raised from Vehicle Excise Duty in England will be allocated to a new National Roads Fund and invested directly back into the major road network. is true that might be changing.

SC

Snowdog likes this.
  20. 7 May 2021 at 11:56 AM #40
    XKaLiBaR

XKaLiBaR Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 Manual
    Colour Combo:
    Red/Red
    When the government is sending out census form questionnaires, which are meant to help each borough with spending, for hospitals, schools etc and they ask questions like “are you still the same sex you were born with”, then you know fairies are running the country.

Whoever these people are, do not want to be contacted, they hide from the public. They don’t have a phone number, only an email, which normally results in a generic reply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)