Reshelling, what to look out for? EWS etc.?

Discussion in 'E36 M3 (1991-1999) and E30 M3 (1986-1990)' started by Bluesmoke, Jul 4, 2018.

1. 4 Jul 2018 at 3:29 PM #1
    Bluesmoke

Bluesmoke Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    1996 M3 Evolution Saloon
    I’m currently 60/40 in favour of reshelling my Evo after finding even more rot and rust on it.

Here’s the rap sheet as it now stands:

Fuel tank access holes need tidying up and a couple of bits cut out and replaced
    Front inner arch section needs cutting out and replacing
    Rear tail panel needs cutting out and replacing
    Front wings need bottom parts cutting off and repair panels welding on
    Jacking points all need redoing as someone has bodged them
    Hole in rear arch to repair
    I’ve now discovered the boot floor aound the rearmost exhaust hanger has rot and would have to cut all that part out and weld in a piece with the exhaust hanger mountings. Looks a very awkward job too
    Seems to be some rust underneath seam sealer on the inside of the passenger rear quarter?! Further investigation has revealed all the back of the rear arch at that side is rusty too
    There’s a huge worry that the underside being covered up with under seal will also have more rust on the floor pan that will be revealed over time

Having seen the repair of the front arch another poster has shown us I’d love to think I could save this but I now longer have the luxury of time. Following a marriage break up I am under pressure to get the house sold which isn’t easy with a car in bits on the drive.

So choices are flog it as is, try and fix it despite it having to be a rush and me not being very confident, try and reshell it fairly quickly and flog the remains.

It won’t be a real M3 anymore.... that would hurt. But I paid £4.5k. The reshelled car (which would be a track car and would be raced) would never be worth less than that, but it won’t go up in value like an M3 either. But mine has done 157k so would never be a top example.

So if I do reshell, how do I get around the EWS issue? What else should I be mindful of? Evo fuel pump will need to be swapped across but no worries there. Anything else?

2. 4 Jul 2018 at 5:00 PM #2
    Iain

Iain Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    AMG estate
    just get the ews coded out, easiest option.

Or swap the ews box, ecu and transponder in the key

3. 4 Jul 2018 at 5:04 PM #3
    Bluesmoke

Your Motor:
    1996 M3 Evolution Saloon
    Who can do the coding for it? It's pre-facelift. Car obviously can't go to anybody at the moment.

God I hate this. Even with this massive pile of repairs my heart wants to fix the M3 shell FFS! Just such a mammoth task with very little time...

4. 4 Jul 2018 at 5:10 PM #4
    Parsley

Parsley Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E36 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Avus
    Just sell it as it is. Get rid of it mate, it's nothing but a headache. When the house is sold and the ex wife is paid off/killed buy another one. You will still be able to get a bargain and will know all the pitfalls.

You know it makes sense.

5. 4 Jul 2018 at 5:50 PM #5
    E46CoupeM3

E46CoupeM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    There is no reason for you to have an EWS issue - you have all the parts

Also your car will not be an M3 and will then be a ringer or have the designation / V5 of the shell donor car

A complete lock stick and barelll running gear swap is not as quick as you may think

It may be time to reassemble and sell as a runner

That said the work you describe is not sufficient to normally be worth reshelling
    Sills and rear panel are easy when done as complete panel swaps

If you are not doing a complete running gear and wiring swap try and get same EWS version doner - one with transponder chips if yours has transponder ships so if necessary swap DME, EWS and chips in keys or locks and keys

AS I UNDERSTAND IT ON THE E36 ANY ECU CAN BE ALIGNED TO THE CARS EWS IF SAME EWS 1 OR 2 TYPE BY ALIGNING ISN IN INPA

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  6. 4 Jul 2018 at 6:13 PM #6
    Bluesmoke

Your Motor:
    1996 M3 Evolution Saloon
    Reassembling and selling as a runner has been considered. I think the thing most putting me off is the fact the engine compression tested well and the work I've done to this point with it, doing the vanos stuff, the full set of silicone hoses, the oil cooler diverter, a number of other bits. I could reshell it in the space of two weeks pretty easily. I also wouldn't be against doing it all again one day when an Evo shell comes up at the right time and I'm not having to sell a house, ludicrous as that probably sounds.

I'll post some new photos soon showing the new stuff I've found. I'm starting to suspect it's had a rear quarter...

7. 4 Jul 2018 at 6:26 PM #7
    Parsley

Parsley Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E36 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Avus
    Sounds like your answering your own question.

8. 4 Jul 2018 at 6:39 PM #8
    E46CoupeM3

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Or go tactical
    Rear panel is not structural
    Rotten arches aren't structural
    Do the sills / MOT minimum to get it road worthy and then do it as a rolling resto tackling one job a weekend

Short turnaround, less messing, at least one unnecessary shellswap avoided

You could just put it into storage for a while until house situation sorted though and hence do nothing at this point and use the time to have less pressure and sort out life things

9. 4 Jul 2018 at 6:46 PM #9
    Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2005 BMW M3CS
    I've got an absolutely mint, 1998, 42,000 mile 328 coupe with a knackered engine that I'd consider selling. Silver, non sunroof. Just sayin'

10. 4 Jul 2018 at 7:23 PM #10
    E46CoupeM3

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    I've got a mint 328 engine and LPG kit in something which would look at home in Beirut. Kate Aidie is over there reporting on it. I expect your car ay be ore than I have tolerance to pay for a non runner though, but considering a used engine is £400 to your door on a pallet...…….

11. 4 Jul 2018 at 8:16 PM #11
    Uncle Benz

Your Motor:
    2005 BMW M3CS
    Lol! I already have a spare engine in another 328 coupe, which is full of tin worm in the body. Engine is a peach tho, BMW block replacement for nickasil issue, and 60k since. I just don't have the time to swap it out.
    The silver car had the waterpump impeller fall off, but the owner kept motoring until it was ruined. Damn shame!

Would go much better with an S50 in it ;)

12. 4 Jul 2018 at 8:23 PM #12
    E46CoupeM3

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    If you will lose more than a days wages on the 328 selling broken then you do have the time, to either take the day as paid holiday (so being paid to do it) or unpaid leave as saving more money in a day than it would likely take you a few day to earn (normalish salary assumed)

13. 4 Jul 2018 at 8:53 PM #13
    Uncle Benz

Your Motor:
    2005 BMW M3CS
    Lol again! I own a car repair shop. I can earn more fixing other people's cars than doing my own! It's been here as something to do if the work dries up. Still waiting.....
    My days off tend not to have anything car related in them :muttley:

14. 4 Jul 2018 at 9:03 PM #14
    E46CoupeM3

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    Well that's still a choice but you do have the time it's how you choose to spend it and as I said if you pay yourself a days holiday or not if the difference in sale price between the two is more than a days wages you would be ahead

That said sounds like an opportunistic purchase and sold working or not will still be a profit

Job for the apprentice, sorted.

15. 4 Jul 2018 at 10:12 PM #15
    Uncle Benz

Your Motor:
    2005 BMW M3CS
    Interesting thoughts. Back in the day it would have been the perfect apprentice car. A doer-upper as both a gift and part of their college coursework. Sadly the local college closed its motor vehicle department some years ago, and our stream of apprentice mechanics dried up with it. We haven't had a trainee for about five years now, and it's something I miss. A sad indictment of the state of the country probably :confused:

16. 4 Jul 2018 at 10:29 PM #16
    E46CoupeM3

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    My brother started his apprenticeship on Merc 40 years ago. When the computer doesn't say what to fix and they give up they pass the job to him ;)

17. 4 Jul 2018 at 10:45 PM #17
    Bluesmoke

Your Motor:
    1996 M3 Evolution Saloon
    I've considered this too. I'm just worried about there being even more under the rest of the floor really. There's bits I'm not sure how I'd get to but on the plus side a mate has offered a place to keep the car locked up if I make it a rolling/running car again.

Am I really not going to get knocked back on an MOT for holes in the arches?

It's very untidy underneath the rear bench. I also need to get the fuel tank expansion hoses that go through the body out. They ain't budging. Car will end up being like a patchwork quilt. I know the task is not impossible, it just seems huge at the moment. Take a look at the pics I'm putting up shortly and tell me what you think about those.

18. 4 Jul 2018 at 10:46 PM #18
    Bluesmoke

Your Motor:
    1996 M3 Evolution Saloon
    Let me have a think but I'd be looking for something cheap if I did it. If I was spending a lot I'd deffo go for the caged Evo shell on ebay.

Have to say I'm shocked at what this Evo sold for tonight! :eek:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253724039335

19. 4 Jul 2018 at 10:47 PM #19
    pablo_ni

pablo_ni Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    95 Avus Blue M3 Coupe
    How much for the 328 shell mate? I'm toying with reshelling too as mine needs some welding and is a cat d anyway

20. 4 Jul 2018 at 10:56 PM #20
    Uncle Benz

Your Motor:
    2005 BMW M3CS
    PM sent :thumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)