Registering / obtaining v5 for barn find?

Discussion in 'Other Marques' started by harrypevo, Feb 20, 2019.

1. 20 Feb 2019 at 12:08 PM #1
    harrypevo

harrypevo Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    Bit of a random one,

I have been given an old car which has been stored in a barn at my grandads since the mid 70s. It's going to need considerable work before it goes back on the road, but before I start spending money on it I want it to be officially 'mine'

It was bought by my grandad, I have the purchase receipt, and was a gift to my mum and uncle. They are both alive and can verify this and that I can have the car.

Now, it doesn't have a proper v5, it was last on the road before they were issued by a centralised dvlc / dvla.

I have the original blue paper Norfolk county council registration card complete with vehicle details, chassis and engine number, previous keepers etc.

How do I turn this into a proper v5?

I assumed I could just fill in a form and send £25, but as it's only ever been registered with the local office will it even be on the dvla system or do I have to go through the process of getting the vehicle inspected and verified first?

2. 22 Feb 2019 at 9:14 PM #2
    GolfDuck

GolfDuck Staff Member Moderator

Your Motor:
    Carless & witless
    Has it got a reg plate?
    I would imagine if it has, and all the numbers tie up it shouldn't be a problem, though they may insist on an inspection first.
    I think they used to do that.

3. 22 Feb 2019 at 11:32 PM #3
    harrypevo

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    Yeah, I did some digging around the dvla site which doesn't seem to be Mayes out in any sort of logical order.

Looks like I need to fill in a form with a photo and get it accredited by a recognised owners club. Should be fairly straightforward. The car was uk supplied and road registered, still has its original plates and the original vin plate and chassis numbers are clearly visible and not tampered with.

4. 28 Feb 2019 at 10:49 AM #4
    joe smoe

joe smoe Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver grey / Red
    What car is it mate any pics love barn finds

5. 1 Mar 2019 at 7:52 PM #5
    harrypevo

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    Nothing amazing, a 1969 fiat 850 saloon my uncle drove into a wall in around '75/76 and has been sat ever since.

Probably not worth a lot but needs a new home and I'm hoping to give it a chance of seeing the road again. Other than the front corner being stoved in ( they're rear engined so most of the front is empty space ) it's remarkably solid.

[​IMG]

Same car in the 70s
    [​IMG]

6. 1 Mar 2019 at 7:55 PM #6
    GolfDuck

Your Motor:
    Carless & witless
    Wow it's a long time since I remember seeing one of those :)

7. 1 Mar 2019 at 8:15 PM #7
    harrypevo

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    Ha, I don't think I've ever seen one on the road.

Far less common than the standard fiat 500. And a lot harder to find parts for as a result o_O

8. 1 Mar 2019 at 8:20 PM #8
    GolfDuck

Your Motor:
    Carless & witless
    Yes, I'm sure. Happy hunting :)

9. 2 Mar 2019 at 7:37 AM #9
    joe smoe

Your Motor:
    e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver grey / Red
    Looks like a Great little project

10. 9 Oct 2019 at 9:29 PM #10
    harrypevo

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    So, as a sort of update, I decided I had to try and rescue it.

The story so far,
    This is my most recently acquired vehicle.

It's a 1968 fiat 850 sedan. Bought by my grandad in 1974 for my uncle and mum to share as their first car.

Unfortunately, a year or so later my uncle had a 'little' bump, and tried to knock down a brick wall. Unfortunately the wall won, the flimsy fiat lost.

It has sat stored on blocks in a barn since circa 1975, looking sad, full of junk, corner stoved in, and home to a rather large family of mice! Sadly, time has come to sell up, so rather than see it scrapped or chucked in with the sale of the other junk in the shed I offered to find it a home.

A photo which must have been taken shortly after purchase
    [​IMG]

As 'found'
    [​IMG]

The front end was cleared of the accumulated junk,
    [​IMG]

All except the bottle of car polish pinned in place by the accident folded metal
    [​IMG]

We only had one wheel, so I scoured eBay for a while and eventually a set of aftermarket 13s from a fiat panda popped up cheap and local. The tyres are slightly too big, and it's not really the look I was after but I think they can be made to work. The brakes were freed off, wheels fitted and the car lowered down off its blocks
    [​IMG]

As it would now roll, it was edged towards daylight for the first time in 45 years, unfortunately also giving first proper sight of the accident damage. It looks bad, the camber is off because the upper wishbone mount on the inner wing is bent in and back. However, both doors open and close fine, the screen pillar hasn't moved, nor had the horizontal font leaf spring. How soft and easily crumpled the front end was has saved the rest of the car.
    [​IMG]

Now I knew the car was saveable I started parts hunting. They're a pretty rare car, I've never seen another on the road. This was part of the appeal of saving it, however it has made tracking down parts rather tricky.

This is the first of several parcels to come from mainland Europe!
    [​IMG]

We had made a decent attempt at clearing the junk from the inside, which was several inches deep in shredded newspaper.
    [​IMG]

I found the two front seats in the summerhouse at the house 100 yards away and sat one in
    [​IMG]

I decided the easiest way to clear the rest of the dust and muck was to push it out far enough to be able to open both doors and blow it out with a leaf blower.
    [​IMG]

While clearing out the spacious rear parcel shelf luggage area...
    [​IMG]

I found the original owners manual. Amazingly unchewed!
    [​IMG]

And floor mostly cleared
    [​IMG]

A coupe of weeks later we decided to push it fully out and then back down the road to the house ready for collection later.

Fully out in the sunshine.
    [​IMG]

Quite a nice family resemblance with the round rear lights on my mito
    [​IMG]

Safely down the road and parked in a typical 1960s size garage. This kind of gives and idea of scale. The car is the roughly the same width as an original mini, but the same length as a Rover metro. It weight around 650kg, and has 37bhp from a rear mounted water cooled 850cc four cylinder engine. There was enough room for a chest freezer behind it, ride on lawn mower in front and tons of room down the side!
    [​IMG]

Then it was collected for us. Picture doesn't really show off the scale, it looked like it could have been driven into the back of the discovery!
    [​IMG]

MandyM3 likes this.
  11. 9 Oct 2019 at 9:29 PM #11
    harrypevo

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    And finally safely back to its new home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And got its first wash. It obviously needs a lot more tlc, I just wanted to get the vast bulk of the muck and dust off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And made the interior slightly more habitable. It still stinks, but it's fading with the windows / doors left open at every chance!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's pretty much where we are. Other than the wheels, the only other things missing are the battery - which I assume was cracked in the accident, exhaust silencer and the ignition leads. Everything else was still there including the bent bonnet and wing.

I've been told I'm not allowed to do anything else to it until I finish some other projects first, although I'm really itching to get started!

Not planning on a full nut and bolt showroom restoration, just preserve as much as is still there and end up with an unusual little classic to run around to local shows and events in.

Tyler, grdaniel, Coops and 4 others like this.
  12. 9 Oct 2019 at 9:38 PM #12
    MandyM3

MandyM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril blue, champagne nappa leather
    Wow, what a project - interested to see how you get on with it :thumbsup:

13. 9 Oct 2019 at 10:44 PM #13
    MaximumBob

MaximumBob Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 M4 CP
    Fabulous...what a great project.

14. 10 Oct 2019 at 9:13 AM #14
    joe smoe

Your Motor:
    e46 m3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver grey / Red
    Great that you saved it, very cool little car.
    I had a 1969 fiat 500 sold it last year was great fun I notice that the seats and interior parts looks the same might help on the search for parts

15. 10 Oct 2019 at 1:09 PM #15
    harrypevo

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    Yes, fiat do like a bit of a parts share. The running gear on the 850 is very similar to the 600, just in a slightly longer and wider body.

Pretty sure the instrument cluster is the same as the later rectangular speedo 500s had.

You might notice the rear lights which are also shared with its performance equals, the lancia stratos and Ford gt40!

16. 12 Oct 2019 at 11:31 AM #16
    grdaniel

grdaniel Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Monte Carlo
    Awesome, always love wee unusual projects like this!

That rear window demister is very cool haha

17. 12 Oct 2019 at 2:32 PM #17
    harrypevo

Your Motor:
    E30 m3, e36 m3, mk2 gti
    Pretty sure it's a period correct aftermarket accessory, not sure I dare try it, but it looks right so it will stay.

Struck lucky this week with a joblot of parts on eBay, I was only really bidding for the rear bumper as mine has a patch that's rusted through, but got loads of other bits including a starter, dynamo, radiator and other bits and pieces for less than half the price other bumpers on their own I've been looking at are.

Got to keep an eye out and try and grab bits when they pop up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)