Rattles and Squeeks

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by Twiglet, Sep 14, 2018.

1. 14 Sep 2018 at 9:05 AM #1
    Twiglet

Twiglet On the path

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 E92 2013
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Black
    Hi chaps,

How are your cars holding up to rattles and squeeks when driving?

I live in East London and our roads here are pretty rough, so mine gets a few rattles and squeeks whenever I go over rough sections of tarmac or cracks etc in road.

The come from the front dash area, the top of the CIC unit, rear dome light and the plastic cover on the side of the driver's seat (with memory buttons and adjusters)

I plan to tackle most of these this weekend with felt tape, so got any tips?

2. 14 Sep 2018 at 10:41 AM #2
    Speed Monk

Speed Monk A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    E93 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White + Fox Red Leather
    I had one that was bugging me for a while on the passenger side dash. It turned out to be the glove box rattling, a quick fiddle about with it and it has gone! :thumbsup:.

I read a few posts on here about rattles behind the sat nav screens too. It is fairly straight forward to get behind apparently, try running a quick search I recall it bringing up a heap of threads with guides. Usually the felt tape does the job, you just need to test and work out where to position them. Good luck, let us know how you get on with it.

This thread was useful I found when I was looking at it http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=119490&highlight=rattle

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. 14 Sep 2018 at 11:53 AM #3
    lemansblue

lemansblue Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2012 e92 M3 comp pack.
    Colour Combo:
    A nice one
    dont want to jinks mine, but its still fairly quiet. the f80 loaner i had a while back did my head in with all the noises!

4. 14 Sep 2018 at 12:41 PM #4
    delboylee

delboylee Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    Sorry to jump on this too. I have a small glove box vibrate / rattle. What ‘fiddling’ fixed your rattle? :D

Cheers

5. 14 Sep 2018 at 1:59 PM #5
    Twiglet

Twiglet On the path

Your Motor:
    BMW M3 E92 2013
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Black
    +1, the sound I'm hearing from the front could be from it and the resonance is probably throwing me off.

6. 14 Sep 2018 at 2:46 PM #6
    delboylee

delboylee Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Alpine Edition
    I’ve just used sticky felt pads on the plastic fuse box cover so it’s not that... what to try next?! I have a feeling it’s the screw which holds the glove box when open at its lowest point

7. 14 Sep 2018 at 2:58 PM #7
    joeshaw123

joeshaw123 Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2009 M3 Monte Carlo Edition
    I've got a couple of very minor but annoying ones.
    The main one seemed to be the centre dash panel that houses the lower push buttons for PDC, heated seats (early spec) etc. If i pushed on the panel the rattle went away. I removed the trim and liberally applied felt tape to everything and refitted, and its only made it worse! Will revisit at some point when I can be bothered.

8. 14 Sep 2018 at 4:02 PM #8
    Speed Monk

Speed Monk A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    E93 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White + Fox Red Leather

I think I may have just got a little bit lucky, the rattle was coming from the left hand side of the glove box. For weeks I thought it was the top of the dash by the A pillar. Whilst driving I had the Mrs see if she could spot the cause, after a light push on the glove box it stops. I then removed the glove box to have a look but nothing stood out, since re-installing it the rattle has gone. No doubt, it will come back soon. If it does I will have to get back in there with felt tape, the tape did wonders on an old car I had.

9. 14 Sep 2018 at 8:50 PM #9
    Slarty

Slarty Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Jerez black / Palladium silver
    I have a really annoying one that took forever to trace, and turned out to be the bloody armrest. Whether it's because it's a sliding/split one or not, I don't know, but I can't cure it either lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)