Radium Engineering Oil Catch Can Install for a RHD

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by STAATS, Feb 13, 2018.

1. 13 Feb 2018 at 4:44 AM #1
    STAATS

STAATS On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titanium Silver
    Hey guys... This is a bit of a follow on from a conversation that happened a few years ago on the tail end of a review for one of these kits (albeit in a LHD car): http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80608&highlight=radium

I am going to expand and focus on trying to achieve this install on a RHD so I thought it deserved it's own post...

Now I have thought about this for a while and tried to rack my brain on how to do it. I had already ordered the kit with the intention to just figure it out when I get it... now when I ordered it I specified that it was for a RHD... this normally means that they will send you a Universal install bracket instead of the LHD bracket... now somewhat by accident/chance/fate they sent me the LHD bracket... without even thinking I hit back with an email asking for my universal bracket... which, I just want to highlight to their credit, they sent without a peep, no request for the LHD bracket to be returned, no fuss, so kudos guys, great customer service, I truly appreciated that and thought it deserved a plug...

Moving on... I looked for placed everywhere to put the universal bracket and couldn't find any that I liked... I fancied having this in the bonnet bin with the ECU box is... unfortunately having had my car in pieces for a while I couldn't remember what else went in their... anyway by chance I met up with another guy with an E46 M3 the other day and interrogated the area... where I noticed two mounting points that don't seem to be used on the RHD car (I had my suspicions but couldn't confirm until I saw his)... looking at their orientation and the LHD bracket I envisaged a bit of a solution...

It will require me to make a small adapter bracket myself and for cosmetics and packaging I am going to ask Radium about getting about 90deg fitting but I have mocked up my rough idea and taken a few snaps and loaded them into this album for discussion: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjyMUglnfwqmZLif1

You can see in the photos that I have it mounter to one existing, but unused mounting bolt and not far from the other mounting point on the LHD bracket is a unused threaded boss... so you can see the idea if for me to bridge this gap with an adapter bracket...

Now for the inlet/outlet hoses I had to swap around the fittings and the pictures don't really do justice to how much space there is for this and I believe this setup would work without kinks... although it would me nicer to also have a 90deg fitting on top of the can and the one of the side may need to be kicked on an upward angle instead of the roughly level orientation it has in the photo... I haven't fully considered how I would route these yet but I believe the inlet could go out the back of an existing hole in this bin area behind the engine and then up into the rocker cover... the outlet will need to punch through the plastic wall somewhere and straight into the airbox... alternatively they could have a common hole to punch through into the engine bay area... to be determined / discussed...

As for draining you can see I have taken a few weird photos just focusing on a hole that isn't far from the threaded mounting boss... now this hole goes through into the wheel well area... so I am going to investigate increasing the size of this hole and installing a grommet then running a petcock drain kit from the bottom of the can through this penetration into the wheel well... I just haven't decided where I will terminate the drain and how I will manage the tap... to be determined / discussed.

Now for this whole setup to work and be viable as an attractive option I will really need to get the petcock drain setup to work as there is no real access to take the bottom off like when you have this installed in the opposite bin in a LHD car... so the draining setup is essential rather than optional... I am confident that I can get a neat inlet/outlet hose routing (with or without an additional 90deg fitting although I believe it will be visually nicer with it) and the can sits a little lower so even if any oil does get passed the can it has a chance to coalesce and drain back down the outlet hose before making it into the airbox...

My aim is to try package this in a way that modifies Radium's base kit as little as possible and is easy to DIY when everything is in place (as most will do this to a running car and not have the luxury of space that I currently do)... I am going to contact Radium and try involve them in this process a bit to see if they can then potentially look at offering a slightly modified bracket and instructions to allow for a "factory" backed RHD install...

3... 2... 1... Discuss...

2. 13 Feb 2018 at 11:09 AM #2
    klan8456

klan8456 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Could it go in the secondary air pump location for cars that have that removed?

3. 13 Feb 2018 at 11:36 AM #3
    m3rosco

m3rosco Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 ESS VT2-525
    Colour Combo:
    phoenix yellow / black
    Paul46 recently installed a radium catch can, just by the positive jump start terminal on the offside strut tower. Looked a neat location to me and you can get underneath it to drain it. (I presume they drain from the bottom somehow).

4. 13 Feb 2018 at 11:38 AM #4
    m3rosco

m3rosco Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 ESS VT2-525
    Colour Combo:
    phoenix yellow / black
    This is another option. I think the can looks good there but don’t like how it looks with the pipes running all over the top of the engine, but that’s a personal thing.

5. 14 Feb 2018 at 12:40 AM #5
    STAATS

STAATS On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titanium Silver
    Yer it definitely can go where the SAP is once it's removed but like you said the hoses will look more unsightly routing from that location...

Also I was looking to use the SAP location to mount a reduced size windscreen washing tank so I can delete that huge 5L one yet maintain the functionality (I also want to delete the headlight washers but I am not really sure where to find the painted headlight trims without the headlight washer hole for a good price to do the delete)...

Do you have any photos or a link to a post of what Paul46 has done for his install?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. 14 Feb 2018 at 9:47 AM #6
    7DT

7DT Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Should just be able to grab some from a non xenon standard pre facelift e46 no? Only reason the washers are there is because of the xenons and legislation requiring them. If wrong colour, then just respray as they aren't that big.

7. 24 Jul 2018 at 4:45 AM #7
    STAATS

STAATS On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titanium Silver
    Anyone got pictures of Paul46 install? I am still struggling to find a location I am happy with. I just installed a smaller Windscreen Washer tank where the SAP was and I and mounting an Electric Fan relay setup where the old Washer fill point used to be so I don't really have any room in that area anymore and the hoses would have looked unsightly anyway...

I can't find anywhere I am happy with so would like to see anyone else Radium Catch Can install on a RHD.

8. 24 Jul 2018 at 7:12 AM #8
    STAATS

STAATS On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titanium Silver
    I just mocked up some parts and managed to make my own routing into the DME bin area. I'll get some pictures up ASAP. it was a bit of a struggle for me and I have most things off, I think this routing would be kinda hard for anyone whose car is currently completely together... well I guess you just remove the cabin filter and air intake so maybe not too hard for someone who is a savvy DIYer...

9. 24 Jul 2018 at 2:11 PM #9
    STAATS

STAATS On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titanium Silver
    I updates my album for the install:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hjyMUglnfwqmZLif1

The album goes through a bunch of iterations I tried so you will see me mounting and taking photos of the rig in weird places trying to see what suits... but the last 8 or so pictures you will see the final location I landed on as you will see it fully hosed up and everything.

The location works quite well I think and now I will be looking for somewhere to run the drain line... I think I will get some bulkhead fittings for the drain line and punch through the bottom of the DME bin area into above the wheel well cover and then find somewhere on the wheel well cover to punch through and terminate with a bulkhead fitting... then i will have the tap on the line up in the DME bin area so I can just push a container under the car and open the tap and it will drain straight in... I will upload more photos into this album as I go.

FYI the bracket I used in the end was the universal bracket not the LHD bracket that I toyed with originally... I although I'm using the same location and mounting bolt as I toyed with for the LHD bracket...

10. 26 Jul 2018 at 7:34 AM #10
    sbonse

sbonse Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silver/Black
    If you remove the headlight washers and bi-xenon headlights some mot testers can be really funny and fail it as it should have washers. The tester I used just kept putting mine as an advisory as mine didn’t work. There’s plenty of trims on eBay with out the washer function in them. They do look neater though without the washer jets been there

11. 26 Jul 2018 at 12:47 PM #11
    STAATS

STAATS On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titanium Silver
    Yer I managed to get some trims and get them painted Titanium Silver so that's all sorted now

I am in Australia and I don't believe there is any regulations requiring me to have headlight washers... there are very very few cars over here that have headlight washers so I doubt it is a requirement for us to have, bi-xenon's or not... but I'm not 100% sure... hopefully I am right otherwise that is going to be a bit awkward haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)