Oh no

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Bmw m4 convertible competition
Flat battery problem only been a few weeks the Thursday when the petrol panic since drove it booked in for its first big service tomorrow and nothing not even a light even the windows won’t drop , I’ve left it longer than this without problems. ive opened the boot a few times this week all good
1 how the heck do you get in boot when it’s dead
2 do the Battery’s on these just go completely without having any juice for anything
3 I’ve got it on the bmw trickle charger but this could take a long time is this enough charge to bring it back to life ?

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
I’m just getting the blinking i on the ctek charger

dbryder

Wearing official robes
Reaction score
What're you driving?
E92 M3
Colour Combo
AW / FR
If it’s properly dead, like 6v or something the CTEK might not charge it (without tricking it with another 12V supply) some other chargers will.

You could jump it via cables to another car from the charge points under the bonnet?

Peasley

Achieved official socks
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80 M3 Comp
Get the animal wired up to it :D

Lowfinger

Wearing official underwear
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80 M3 LCI 2
If the LifePo4 battery drops below 8v the safety relay inside it goes open making the battery look totally dead, need to wake it up by applying voltage to it, some chargers wont wake it up, LiIon ones can have a mode to wake up the safety relay.

battery.jpg

toiletduck

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80
What's the problem?

Just jump start it from another car.

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
If the LifePo4 battery drops below 8v the safety relay inside it goes open making the battery look totally dead, need to wake it up by applying voltage to it, some chargers wont wake it up, LiIon ones can have a mode to wake up the safety relay.

battery.jpg

thanks il try another charger to wake it if not il get some jump leads

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Older charger making things click how long do I leave this on for ?

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Old charger woke things up window drop chimes working
Will the ctek be ok now ? Don’t want to really ruin the battery with this charger

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?

battery.jpg

i owe you all a pint c tek now working fine so should be all good .
A lesson learned I even put sockets outside to charge cars do not leave longer than a week to be safe

TallpaulM3

A mere Chipper
Reaction score
What're you driving?
M3
i owe you all a pint c tek now working fine so should be all good .
A lesson learned I even put sockets outside to charge cars do not leave longer than a week to be safe

For the sake of £13 and 5 minutes wiring time, the 'BMW Comfort Indicator' is worthwhile. Handily, it also acts as a quick connector for the BMW trickle charger which you already have.

Jasonjo

Rocking a new hat
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80 M3 Comp
Colour Combo
Sakhir Orange / Black
BATTERIES WITH "UNDER VOLTAGE PROTECTION" Some Lithium batteries have an on-board UVP (under voltage protection) that disconnects the battery to avoid it becoming too deeply discharged. This prohibits the charger from detecting that there’s a battery connected. To bypass this, the battery charger needs to open the UVP. There are two options available to “wake up” the battery - automatic and manual. During the automatic “wake up” period the LED "CHECK" will flash until the charge program is started and LED "CHECK" is lit with a steady light. Automatic "wake up" will be active for maximum 5 minutes. If the charger is in Standby mode after 10 minutes ( power led is flashing) the automatic wake up did not succeed. Try the manual wake up. To use the manual “wake up”, press the Mode button for approximately 10 seconds to bypass the UVP. During the “wake up” period the LED "CHECK" will flash until the charge program is started and the LED "CHECK" is lit with a steady light. If the manual wake up is unsuccessful the power LED will start to flash after latest 10 minutes. Disconnect any parallel loads from the battery and try again. If the charging does not start after that, the battery may need to be replaced.

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
For the sake of £13 and 5 minutes wiring time, the 'BMW Comfort Indicator' is worthwhile. Handily, it also acts as a quick connector for the BMW trickle charger which you already have.

yes I got one of these with my older c tek think il give it a go
Thanks

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
BATTERIES WITH "UNDER VOLTAGE PROTECTION" Some Lithium batteries have an on-board UVP (under voltage protection) that disconnects the battery to avoid it becoming too deeply discharged. This prohibits the charger from detecting that there’s a battery connected. To bypass this, the battery charger needs to open the UVP. There are two options available to “wake up” the battery - automatic and manual. During the automatic “wake up” period the LED "CHECK" will flash until the charge program is started and LED "CHECK" is lit with a steady light. Automatic "wake up" will be active for maximum 5 minutes. If the charger is in Standby mode after 10 minutes ( power led is flashing) the automatic wake up did not succeed. Try the manual wake up. To use the manual “wake up”, press the Mode button for approximately 10 seconds to bypass the UVP. During the “wake up” period the LED "CHECK" will flash until the charge program is started and the LED "CHECK" is lit with a steady light. If the manual wake up is unsuccessful the power LED will start to flash after latest 10 minutes. Disconnect any parallel loads from the battery and try again. If the charging does not start after that, the battery may need to be replaced.

thanks I didn’t know that but anyway the ctek is been on an hour and hot so should be ok now I will keep it on charge from now on … I just hope the battery isn’t knackered

toiletduck

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
F80
Yeah it’s proper dead so it’s ok to use the terminals to jump it ?

Well yeah. Jumping lets the car start from another car's battery. Once it's running the alternator will provide enough current to charge everything back up. Just take it for a 30 minute drive and it'll be fine.

emmthree

Reaction score
What're you driving?
m3cp
Colour Combo
GT/SO
Yeh, don't neglect the M over the lister is the lesson learned here I feel

stuartk

Flexing a golden cincture
Reaction score
What're you driving?
None
Colour Combo
NA
Is it a vert?

Zarakoff

Wearing official crakows
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Yeh, don't neglect the M over the lister is the lesson learned here I feel

No I won’t . Anyway it started and it’s off for its service tomorrow.
I pray they don’t damage it

emmthree

Reaction score
What're you driving?
m3cp
Colour Combo
GT/SO
For ease of use I have wired my ctek charger battery terminal cable permanently, drilled a hole in the useless plastic space above and have a ctek extension. So now plugging the charger in takes seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread