1. 3 Jul 2018 at 11:48 AM #1
    Kbf1981

Kbf1981 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Defender
    Which would you go for and why? I'm looking at this myself now, and both are available for the same cost over 2yrs approx.

Car will be a second car, that's probably used as a daily driver to go to meetings, motorway miles, some road trips, a bit of fun country road driving over weekends etc... I presently have a Defender 110 which I'll be keeping to use when I need more space or for fun.

Primary motivator for this car is to have something more comfortable to cover long distances in, and if I'm getting a 2nd car, it might as well be fast.

2. 3 Jul 2018 at 11:55 AM #2
    Penetrator

Penetrator Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    In Limbo
    RS5 as I’ve had the M3.
    RS5 new tech
    RS5 sounds better

M3 looks better and up top is faster but normal encounters on our roads the RS5 will eat the M3 for scran.

3. 3 Jul 2018 at 12:14 PM #3
    DeadEye

DeadEye Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M2 LCI in LBB
    You're on the wrong forum to ask that question :muttley:

4. 3 Jul 2018 at 12:53 PM #4
    Unit

Unit Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2018 F82 M4 DCT
    Colour Combo:
    San Marino Blue & Black
    I'd go RS5 in the YMB esq blue that they do. As above the M3 is EOL so go with the newer car.

5. 3 Jul 2018 at 1:07 PM #5
    Derek147

Derek147 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Fire Orange F80 M3
    There are certain givens on these cars i think:

Audi will win the traction thing.
    BMW will win the top end and overall power.

Audi will win the tech/fashion victim angle.
    BMW will win the Legacy/motorsport heritage angle.

I'm a total out and out BMW enthusiasist so your never gonna get much sense out of me talking about Audi's but if I was to be subjective........

Audi's are the wanker choice of car in the year 2018
    BMW is probably less fashionable than in years gone past
    Mercedes seems to have hit a nice space in the market again, gaining favour.
    They have the engine sound right and the image is back on point it would seem possibly consider C63?
    These image item's could possibly factor into the decision if I was the type of chap objectively considering both cars.

On actual looks the M3 is the more aggressive looking car by far, again this would factor into your decision in owning either marque, the BMW will draw attention much more frequently than the Audi. The pumped up arches, carbon roof and possibly lairy colours makes that a foregone conclusion.

The Audi is more of a quiet car in that respect, they look largely like their ordinary series counterparts other than quad exhausts and larger wheels.
    It may suit you if you want to fly under the radar.

The above is subjective and depends what you like best I would say.
    For me BMW wins all day and every day on a sunday but like i said I'm not objective in the arguement if I was trying to be the above is what I would say.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  6. 3 Jul 2018 at 1:10 PM #6
    ChrisM250

ChrisM250 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2018 M4 CP
    Colour Combo:
    SMB & Full Silverstone
    I was faced with a similar decision and went for the M4. I'm sure the RS5 sounds nice and has newer tech, but I'm just not a fan of Audi's. I've seen a few RS5's on the road and don't think they have much visual presence compared to the M cars. Plus I like the fact that I can get out of my current BMW and into an M car and just know who all the interfaces work, especially with the M-drive etc.

That said, I'm sure I'll change my mind after my first winter in an M4! There's a lot to be said with 4WD.

7. 3 Jul 2018 at 1:19 PM #7
    rsk21

rsk21 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Various - ex M4 vert CP
    If you like going really fast in a straight line and comparing statistics buy an RS Audi. If you like superbly built cabins buy any Audi.

If you like how a car feels beyond mere speed buy something else.

If you really like driving at this price point take a brave pill and buy the Alfa Giulia Quad you have been asking about on PH.

If I were in the market today I would be very tempted by an M3 CS with CCBs.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. 3 Jul 2018 at 1:36 PM #8
    riano

riano On the path

Your Motor:
    M4
    Colour Combo:
    sapphire black & black full leather
    Agree with the above, if you're mainly concerned with winning traffic light grand prix, are a fan of understeer and want a car that looks as boring as it is to drive then get the Audi.

If you want something exciting, dynamic and aggressive looking then get an M3/4. On a warm day in MDM they are absolutely fantastic and no Audi will give you anything like the driving fun an M3/4 will.

I've had my M4 just over a year and it still excites me as much as it did the day I first got it. I'd be bored with an Audi by the time I drove it home from the dealer :muttley:

9. 3 Jul 2018 at 1:54 PM #9
    ramos333

ramos333 On the path

Your Motor:
    F80 M3
    I have the M3 and one of the other directors has the RS5. The RS5 is a smother power and more usable and is lovely inside with the new virtual cockpit. The M3 is what i would say a 'petrolheads' car as it's rawer and more engaging to drive and will IMO turn more heads than an RS5.

I'm a big fan of both but it depends what more is important above

10. 3 Jul 2018 at 2:11 PM #10
    Yas Man

Yas Man Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2016 BMW M4 Comp Pack
    M3 plus MPE sounds better than the Audi for sure . . . My TT RS sounded great but my M4 with MPE sounds way better.

The interior of the Audi wins but add full leather to the BMW and it’s more of a case of “do you prefer HUD or Virtual Cockpit), the Audi wins on traction in the wet, in the dry it makes no difference but RS4/RS5/TT RS do not have the same road presence, nor do they have the same front end . . . .

. . . and that's the Audi's downfall, they are great cars but the front end bite and communication is dull in comparison to the M3/M4.

11. 3 Jul 2018 at 2:20 PM #11
    Magicman

Magicman Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2018 Audi RS5
    Colour Combo:
    Mythos Black on Black
    Do a search. I did a bit of a review after swapping my 66plate comp pack for a new 18 plate RS5 .

It's far from clear cut but I'd go rs5.

12. 3 Jul 2018 at 4:02 PM #12
    M4lee1985

M4lee1985 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    All black M4 > LBB M2
    Colour Combo:
    LBB
    Wouldn’t touch an RS personally, nearly made that mistake myself once. They haven’t got any soul. To me Nigel from the golf club would buy one and bang on about how well they handle in the rain and how quick it is..... but Nigel came from a golf gti

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  13. 3 Jul 2018 at 4:32 PM #13
    Derek147

Derek147 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    Fire Orange F80 M3
    No holds barred version of what I said pretty much :muttley:

14. 3 Jul 2018 at 5:38 PM #14
    Yas Man

Yas Man Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2016 BMW M4 Comp Pack
    Move over Clarkson!

Sums it up perfectly . . . .

15. 3 Jul 2018 at 6:16 PM #15
    M3 CSL

M3 CSL Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    M4
    Colour Combo:
    YMB / Black
    You are asking this on a very biast forum!

I’ve had every RS car and nearly all the M cars (bar the M2 and M6) so I feel my opinion is a fair one -

The M4 is a great car, in good weather conditions and if you have the balls on public roads it’s great, and they do look good.

The RS5 is a great car, you can press on in ALL conditions safely and it handles great, much better than previous gens due to Audi moving the engine a bit and making it lighter with the TT V6. In my opinion the RS5 looks better than the M4 if you get the right colour combo, this is subjective but is my opinion.

The tech and cabin in the RS5 is miles ahead of the M4, it’s current and a lovely place to be.

It is also VERY rapid, 0-60 on many tests put it closer to 3.2 rather than the stated 3.9 and that’s QUICK, it feels epic when you launch it and with sports exhaust it sounds good too.

Does it bottom out at high speed? I don’t know, coming from a FL RS6 I’d say not until you get to track stretch speeds and who does that?

The RS5 will hold its value much better, the depreciation on an M3/4 is eye watering now if buying new.

If both were offered to me FREE I’d pick the RS5, I love the fact it does everything great in all weather 12 months of the year.

Test drive both, they are both excellent, it will come down to your personal choice and not that of an Internet forum (I hope)!

16. 3 Jul 2018 at 6:21 PM #16
    Tankclark

Tankclark Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3, M135i, A45 AMG, RS3 8v, C63pp, E63
    The Op stated he basically wants a mile muncher that’s got some lace and luxury, in that respect it has to be the RS5, the interior is miles better. As others have suggested you’ll only get a biased review on here and anyone that states the M4 is better sounding than any Audi RS currently made even with MPE is plainly deaf ha ha ha ha

17. 3 Jul 2018 at 6:28 PM #17
    M3 GFY

M3 GFY Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    F83 M4 WITH A CARBON TIPPED MPE
    Colour Combo:
    Sakhir Orange/Full Black Leather with Sakhir Orange Stitching
    I agree but would add the Audi owner would also be of a certain age. Don’t get me wrong I’m older hence the M4 Vert choice. MLC.:D

18. 3 Jul 2018 at 6:46 PM #18
    jayukRS

jayukRS Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M4 Austin yellow Comp pack DCT
    Colour Combo:
    Austin/black
    Do Audi do a "full leather option" I.e dash, top of door cards etc. I do like Audi cockpits and seats but I still feel the M3/4 holds its own with the Audi in terms of interior especially with full leather.

19. 3 Jul 2018 at 7:03 PM #19
    fireblade1

fireblade1 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW M4
    Colour Combo:
    MW/Full Leather
    Depreciation will be exactly the same on the RS5 as the M4, all dealers or WBAC try to screw you on second hand, just got rid of wifes high spec 17 plate S5 and best trade in was £32K, lowest was £28K, paid £45K this time last year

20. 3 Jul 2018 at 7:23 PM #20
    M3 CSL

M3 CSL Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    M4
    Colour Combo:
    YMB / Black
    Utter rubbish I’m afraid, the RS5 will hold its value much better as it’s just been released, any good independent dealer will offer a fair price!

WBAC is not a good place to sell a performance car and the indication figure on the Internet is NOT comparable to market price.

The S5 also loses more as it’s not an RS.

True story

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)