New Cutter in the West (Midlands)

Discussion in 'Welcome & New Owners Section' started by achand10, Oct 1, 2017.

1. 1 Oct 2017 at 12:26 AM #1
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    Hello fellow Cutters,

So, I have finally gotten around putting pen to paper and writing an intro post - which has been honestly pending for too long. I'm Arun and I live/work in Coventry and am proud owner of 2011 E92 M3 in Alpine White with the Competition Pack, DCT and EDC. I bought my car in June and have been thoroughly enjoying it since.

Before I go on a long (and maybe boring) rant about my M3 journey, a picture of my pride & honour, just to keep readers hooked on. :) [I usually just scroll right to the pictures in any post before reading the actual post, that was before the whole Photobucket mess]

[​IMG]

BK61THF in brief:
    2011 December E92 M3 Competition Pack with EDC
    DCT
    Bought under BMW AUC from Rybrook Wolverhampton with 47,000 miles on the Odo
    Alpine White with High Gloss Shadow Line Exterior Trim
    Black Novillo Leather Interiors with Carbon Trim
    Harman-Kardon Sound System
    OEM Exhaust Mod: Unsure what stage mod is on, but I highly suspect it's on the 2-pipe mod gauging from the sound profile and comparing with a friend's 4-pipe mod. Definitely seems to be Paul's work from what I can gauge from the quality of the weld beads. Maybe Paul (or a previous owner, if they're on the forum) can confirm.

My E92 M3 Journey:
    It all started as a harmless lusting for the E92 M3, long before I was even considering a car. The love for the E9X generation is deeply rooted in the wonderful and insanely high-revving S65 V8 engine and all the fab reviews it has garnered over its lifetime and still continues to get from Automotive journalists the world over. What started out as a love for the engineering masterpiece that the engine is, gradually grew to an admiration for the car as a whole - flaws and all! I eventually started looking at classifieds for E92 M3s, although still without any hope or agenda of ever owning one - it was truly a harmless past time [till is was not that harmless anymore :)]

When I started to seriously scout for a car, the initial choices were between the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Golf GTi etc. Since I had some flexibility in terms of practicality (I'm unmarried and live alone) I didn't need a 4-door or even a 4-seater for that matter - I started looking at the brilliant Toyota GT-86 and previous generation (6-cylinder boxer engined) Porsche Boxsters as well. For a couple of weeks, I even considered this amazing 640d listed here! There was a couple of months when I had all but put down the deposit for a 435i M-Sport. But I guess all my 'harmless' lusting for the E92 M3s had taken its toll and I kept finding excuses for not settling for any of the afore mentioned cars.

The search for an E92 M3 starts (seriously at last):
    It's actually when I started seriously scouting for an E92 M3 that I started spending a lot of time on M3Cutters - starting from the very easy to navigate classifieds sub-forum and slowly graduating to reading almost all posts (well, if not all, at least the first 100 pages) in the E9X M3 sub-forum! To be honest, my initial search was exclusively private sales and independent dealers - the prices BMW AUC were a bit too steep for my initial budget. Spec wise - I was pretty non fussy in the beginning and my only criteria were - E92 (no sedan or convertible) and had to be DCT (would be a daily driver with a fairly high percentage of driving in city roads). But then, as is with any car purchase - the 'desired options list' kept growing and in the end, the car I wanted looked something like this:

• Had to be post LCI - Most importantly for the CIC iDrive than anything else; the LCI tail-lights were an added bonus.
    • Had to have EDC - Like mentioned earlier, city driving would constitute a major part of my usage and I could use the 'softer' Comfort Setting.
    • Had to have the Competition Package - I personally feel that the E92 M3 is best looking in this guise - the ZCP M359 wheels and 10mm lower ride height gives the car a much more purposeful stance, I feel. With the optional extras that the CP packed in, it was a no-brainer even as a new car at only £3000 extra over standard, even more so in the used car market, with some non-CP cars listed at prices above similar aged CP cars (albeit with a higher mileage) - the CP was deemed to be a must-have.
    • Colour Preference - In my initial stages of E92 M3 lusting phase - I had come to love the Alpine White. Later on it started dwindling more towards the Frozen Grey. I was fine with either colours as long as it didn't have the Sunroof optioned on it - the CRPF roof was a must.

With my list of 'must-haves' growing as above, the difference between a private sale and a BMW AUC started to narrow down, especially considering the fact that I was planning to take out the BMW Warranty on the any car I buy (I was quoted close to £2000 for a comprehensive cover for cars with less than 60k miles on them). Shortlisted a dozen cars all across Midlands and some down south - both AUC and independent sales. Luckily for me, I didn’t have to go across the length and breadth of the country viewing cars - I ended up buying the second car I test drove. :-D

Before the post gets too long, a few more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As everyone would have guessed by now, I am not very good with the camera, hopefully the pics should get better with practise...

-A

2. 1 Oct 2017 at 12:34 AM #2
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    Buying Experience:
    I had it easy in terms of buying experience with me ending up buying the second car I test drove. That is not to say that I escaped the dreaded BMW Dealership experience. Living in Coventry - my obvious first choice dealers were in and around the Midlands. I had shortlisted a few cars - 2 at Sytner Birmingham and another at one at Rybrook Wolverhampton.

Sytner, Birmingham: The cars were a 2011 Alpine White DCT with EDC with around 27k miles and a 2012 Frozen Grey DCT with EDC with around 50k miles. The customer experience at Sytner Birmingham was pathetic to say the least. The day I went in for the pre-booked viewing appointment I saw that they had marked up the list price for both the cars by £1000. What the salesman didn't know was that I had been to the dealership just a couple of days before to see the cars in the forecourt and knew that the list price was £1000 less. When I brought this up, the salesman just brushed it aside as a common practice. Strike One Sytner Birmingham! Second strike was when they were not willing to discuss finance quotes without me putting down a deposit. On a closer inspection, I ruled out the Frozen Grey car as it didn't look as well maintained as the Alpine White car. The white car was on a set of Davanti tyres and I negotiated for those to be replaced with Michelin Pilot Sports or Continental Sport Contacts. Or knock off the price of a decent set of rubbers from the list price, because I was definitely not going to drive around in the set of Davantis. Sytner wouldn't have any of it at all though. Then came the test drive - although I drove it for little less than 30 mins, I could distinctly hear a grinding noise emanating from the rear of the vehicle at slow, full lock turns. On pointing this out, the salesman's response was kind of shady and he said whatever the issue was, would be sorted out before I took delivery. I wasn't very confident as it sounded more like they would do some stop-gap fix to be able to just get the car off the forecourt. Any way, at this point, after collecting most of my information, they started to warm up to the idea that I was a prospective customer and agreed to talk finance quotations. I made it amply clear that I am viewing many other cars and would make a decision based on the best quote. To be fair, the quotation was decent enough and the standard BMW Finance fare (which I was happy with) and I had managed to haggle for an additional year of BMW Extended Warranty. However, what drove the final nail in the coffin was that, the minute I told them that I had sleep over it before making any decision, they started trying to strong arm me into putting down a deposit then and there - the deal would be off the table the moment I got out of the building - they said. Well, I was not going to be forced to buy a car that I wasn't 100% sure of, so I got up and walked away.

Rybrook, Wolverhampton: The car I was viewing at Rybrook Wolverhampton was a 2011 December E92 M3 CP. The car had done 47k miles - which was not a real sticking point for me, but I was wary of the fact that it had 6 previous owners in that many years. But then, I had read through enough posts on cutters to know enough to not pass up on the opportunity to view the car. Also, my logic was, because each previous owner had the car for a short while - they may have taken real good care of the car. I was not wrong - the car had a full BMW service history and looked well maintained. A test drive also didn't bring up anything suspicious like the car in Birmingham. Joshua, the salesman I dealt with at Rybrook was also a very affable chap, let me take my time with inspecting the car and answering any questions I had and generally very patient and not pushing to make a sale. Next up, I got down to discussing business with the business manager (I guess?) Jason. The car was advertised for £27,500 - about £2K above my budget. I had based my budget on buying private, which meant I would have to shell out another £2000 for the BMW Warranty. A quick 'back of the napkin' calculation later, I decided to lay down my price. I asked for £1500 off the list price, a second year of BMW Extended Warranty, few accessories thrown in (black kidney grilles and Carbon Fibre splitters) - I was pushing for a little too much, but I wasn't stressed, as I still had at least a dozen cars shortlisted to view. Both the salesmen went back and came back with this - £750 off the list price and a slightly lower APR, a negative on the Warranty and accessories. Now price wise, I was not too nit-picky as the car would be bought on finance and a few hundred quid wouldn't really change my monthly repayments by much. But I was not going back on the second year of BMW Extended Warranty. So, off the 2 went back in again and when they were back - a second year of Extended Warranty was also on the deal! Sweet! They also added the BMW Protect-X paint protection to the deal - around £350 invoice price. I could have haggled further to take the Protect-X off the price, but like I said before - it wouldn't really change the bottom line - which was my monthly payments. It also added some protection while I worked on my 2-bucket car wash method and build a decent detailing skillset. I decided not to haggle further for the accessories - because even if they threw in the grilles (£46 part price) I would have to pay the labour charges which was £100! Preposterous! I decided I could get these later and fit them myself. I still needed to mull over and take a look at my finances etc. They already had and interest on the car from another one of their branches and showed me the email, but Jason said I could have a couple of days till when he would hold the car for me. Now, I know, this could have very well been a ploy they use to put pressure on a customer (they could just ask the guy sitting at the next desk to send an email for all I know) - but having been at Sytner Birmingham prior to an hour, where I was told any deal they offered is off the table the minute I leave the forecourt - I think it was a nice gesture to let me have a couple of days to take a call.

The next morning, having done my financial 'due diligence' - I called up Rybrook to confirm that I am ready to move forward with the deal. I put down a deposit and started the documentation process. I had some issues with my documentation and it seemed for a day that my application might not be approved by BMW finance, but thanks to Jason and Josh, they managed to push it through in the end. Even during delivery and post-delivery for a couple of niggles I had with the comfort access keys - Jason and Josh were very helpful, always returning my calls very promptly and genuinely seemed happy to help. I would highly recommend (for now, opinion might change when I go down for a service scheduled next week) Rybrook Wolverhampton and these 2 guys!

I'm becoming increasingly cognizant of the fact that I've typed one very long post, so will stop for now. I shall create another post in the 'General Discussion/ E9X Forum to discuss my driving impressions, modifications planned etc.

Couple of pics more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cheers,
    A

3. 1 Oct 2017 at 11:41 AM #3
    Fury RS

Fury RS Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    "58" Plate E92 M3 - Sold!
    Colour Combo:
    Space Grey/Black Nappa
    Car looks great matey:thumbsup:.
    A good read that, re; your buying experience. I have owned a couple of cars in the past that have previously had more owners than I would have liked but bought them on condition, history and a general good vibe off the seller. I know it puts some buyers off but it has never been a deal breaker for me if the car is right.
    I'm a little envious as I have just sold mine to help fund a house renovation but hopefully after christmas i'll be on my feet again and looking:D.
    Enjoy your car matey, great choice...

4. 1 Oct 2017 at 4:55 PM #4
    Haider1996

Haider1996 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black / laguna seca
    Great photos and an excellent write up! Welcome along :)

5. 1 Oct 2017 at 5:00 PM #5
    LoadedM3

LoadedM3 Sponsor

Your Motor:
    2002 M3 VERT
    Colour Combo:
    brillaint white ;-)
    Beautiful car. White just suits the e92 m3 to the ground imo

6. 1 Oct 2017 at 9:33 PM #6
    MattO

MattO Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 335i and HP4
    Welcome Arun. I'm just down the road in Warwick. Check out the Midlands section and the Stratford meet on the 22nd.

7. 1 Oct 2017 at 10:59 PM #7
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    Thanks Fury! You're right, previous number of owners doesn't really matter as long as the car was taken care of properly. It was not much of a sticking point for me as well. Sorry to hear that you had to let go of your M3 - hopefully you'll be back in one real soon!

Thanks LoadedM3. I agree with you One Hundred percent on the color. No wonder the AW E92s were so popular!

Thanks Haider!

Thanks Matt! Signed up for the Stratford meet! That'll be fun!

8. 2 Oct 2017 at 9:56 AM #8
    DaveDar

DaveDar On the path

Your Motor:
    Audi TT
    I went to look at the two cars you mention at Synter Birmingham. Ruled out the grey one straight away due to all the stone chips (was only 38k mileage) but the white one looked pretty good apart from the budget tyres. Managed to get the white one down to £24.5K but couldn't get a 2nd year of warranty out of them. In the end I walked away after the business manager tried putting the pressure on.

9. 2 Oct 2017 at 8:19 PM #9
    V8Marshal

V8Marshal Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 DCT COMP
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral White / Black Novillo
    welcome mate, nice car and a good read.

10. 4 Oct 2017 at 12:05 PM #10
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    You're right about the grey car Dave - too many stone chips and looked quite poorly maintained even otherwise. I too ruled that one out straight away. Dont remember if it was a competition pack now? :think:

£24.5K for the white one was a good price! But yeah, I would have walked away too without the 2nd year warranty. I think I had haggled the price down to £25K and 2 years warranty. I remember them mentioning that the 2nd year warranty would cost them around £850 (I think, or £450? Can't remember)

Who was the business manager you spoke to? I did find both the people I spoke to very pushy. Which was one of the reasons I was put off with Sytner.

Hope you have found a car to your liking now?

Thanks V8Marshal!

11. 5 Oct 2017 at 9:18 AM #11
    DaveDar

DaveDar On the path

Your Motor:
    Audi TT
    The grey car wasn't a comp pack but a very good spec. The white one was a good price but they were so off-putting. It was Martin on the day then Steve phoned me the following day asking what they'd need to do to secure my business. No car for me just yet.

All worked out well for you though as your car looks great!

12. 5 Oct 2017 at 10:01 AM #12
    Prabs91

Prabs91 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    M4 Competition Pack
    Welcome mate, what a beast! Good to see another cutter from Cov, I live in the south of the City (not too far from memorial) I’ll look out for you when I’m out, I’ll make sure to beep if I ever see you around haha, I’ve got a mineral white M4 CP so keep your eyes peeled.

Just a heads up too, there have been a lot of car robberies going on in Coventry recently, I’ve invested in a steering wheel lock and I make sure the car is blocked into the drive with my other car parked in front of it just to make any would be thieves think twice.

On a lighter note though, she’s a beaut! Enjoy and be safe mate!

13. 5 Oct 2017 at 6:26 PM #13
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    I think I spoke to Steve too, pushy as hell he was. Even I got a call back the next day - very unapologetic again, but wanting my business nontheless

Thanks! Lot of good E92's out there, so no cause for getting bogged down - you'll find one soon enough! Good luck with the search!

14. 5 Oct 2017 at 6:33 PM #14
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    Hello Prabs! Thanks. The F82 looks exemplary in Mineral White. I'll keep a lookout for you whenever I'm out and about. Are you considering joining the Cutters meet on the 22nd of this month?

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=183782

Ignore the date in the Subject line, its now postponed to 22nd, you should come along!

Ah, the fear! I live in an Apartment with gated parking, so blocking the drive is out of question. However, I have started parking further up inside the parking lot so that the car is not visible from the road - not much, I know. Does a steering lock make a difference really? Assuming that who ever manages to break into these cars would possess a minimum amount of skills, wouldn't they be able to easily pick the locks on the steering lock?

Cheers,
    A

15. 5 Oct 2017 at 8:02 PM #15
    GUVNOR

GUVNOR Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    I think it is worth it cheap measure to put ppl off. Bham has a massive issue with weekly thefts recently. Iv had an extra alarm fitted for peace of mind. Car looks mint

16. 11 Oct 2017 at 9:53 AM #16
    daveparka

daveparka On the path

Your Motor:
    E46 M3 - 55
    Colour Combo:
    Silbergrau - Black Nappa
    So clean!

17. 12 Oct 2017 at 10:36 AM #17
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    Hmmm, it does provide an additional peace of mind. Been looking up some steering locks. I quite like the look of the Disklok (link). Does anyone here use a Disklok? Just to know a first hand view of it (Maybe, I'll start a separate thread for that - should be easier)

Thanks Guvnor!

Thanks Dave!

18. 12 Oct 2017 at 11:32 AM #18
    GUVNOR

GUVNOR Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3
    Think disklok is be main company I'm looking to buy one to

19. 12 Oct 2017 at 11:45 AM #19
    MattO

MattO Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 335i and HP4
    I've used a Disklok for years. Not had an issue and it's a good visible deterrent.

20. 12 Oct 2017 at 2:56 PM #20
    achand10

achand10 On the path

Your Motor:
    2011 E92 M3 CP
    Thanks Matt. I do agree, the Disklok does look much secure than the bar/band type locks. Product description says it weighs 4kgs - just wondering about the practicality - I could carry it around always in the trunk, but thinking if the bulkiness would stop me from using it frequently. Do you use it every time you park the car? Also, does it damage the steering wheel leather - just asking cause it rotates freely on the wheel, yes?

Oh, also - are we seeing you for the Stratford Meet n' Drive? I could see the Disklok in person if you are and maybe get some washing/detailing tips from you as well. :)

Cheers,
    A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)