Mystic Blue E46 M3 - 'the uncivilizing project'

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by m3driven, Mar 13, 2017.

1. 29 Apr 2018 at 10:16 AM #81
    grchmason

grchmason Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi

Cutty Sark!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

So funny had me spit my tea out :muttley:

2. 1 May 2018 at 9:00 AM #82
    m3driven

m3driven Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Haha.

Here is a bonus question:

What is the main smiliarity between the Cutty Sark, Trigger's broom and most E46 M3's?

And an additional bonus question for those who had an extra weetabix this morning:

What is the main difference between Trigger's broom and most E46 M3's?

Enjoy:muttley:

3. 5 May 2018 at 4:11 PM #83
    m3driven

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    I intend to keep all the original parts of the car including the brakes, interior, wheels and exhaust to allow me one day to return the car to its original factory specification. Consequently, I will be repairing and restoring any of the original parts that require attention.

In this vein I carried out a small repair on the original exhaust system and wire brushed the entirety of the system to remove any surface rust.

Common to the standard exhaust the heat shield fell off while I was driving one day, fortunately I was able to find it and in the picture below I welded the studs back on that hold the shield in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On another note I have started ordering parts for the underside restoration I wish to undertake in the next few months.

The first parts to arrive were plates for the subframe mounting reinforcement kit (please excuse the poor picture quality):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  4. 24 May 2018 at 9:40 AM #84
    m3driven

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    I returned to the UK for a few days and was able to order the main parts for the intended underside restoration and suspension upgrade. After much thought and research I decided to order the BC ZR series coilovers kit from Lark speed who were a pleasure to deal with. These coilovers are worlds apart in quality and functionality from the ER series (which I think are great) and are used in various race and draft cars. The specification is amazing and other brands that are twice the price still don't come close to matching their performance. I am eager to fit them and give them a full review as they genuinely seem to be a great setup.

[​IMG]

I also ordered a rear cage and X brace from Gosling racing (pictured below). It was a pleasure to speak with Shaun and to hear the mechanics behind the need for an X brace as a complete solution for rear subframe mounting point issues.

[​IMG]

When all the parts arrive I will give a detailed review of their quality for those who are interested.

I am currently contemplating if I should still undertake all the work on my own or get it done at my friends garage. There is a lot of welding and heavy work which I will struggle with unaided, but my main concern is that if I try to complete it all on my own it may just take too long and turn into an epic odyssey. Your advice in this regard will be appreciated.

I managed to give the car a clean and took some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  5. 3 Jun 2018 at 3:43 PM #85
    sed

sed A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    02 E46 M3 Manual Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Bluewater Metallic
    Wheels look great, what profile tyres are you running?

Personally I would pay a professional to do the work, but it’s down to how valuable your time is and how quickly you want your car back on the road. My impression of bootfloor reinforcement is that it’s a skilled job and many companies reputation is built on that type of work e.g. Redish, Gosling, ETA.

6. 5 Jun 2018 at 3:46 PM #86
    m3driven

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Thank you. The profile of the tyres are 40 F 35 R.

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject. My time is very valuable but I take pleasure in completing projects outside of my expertise. Also, learning new things and finding solutions to problems outside of my knowledge base aids me in my work and, you may not believe it, in coping with poor health. The brain is an amazing thing; damaged areas can be circumvented by the brain adapting other regions to undertake the same tasks of the damaged portion. However, I believe one of the best ways to achieve this is by learning new things and solving problems. In addition, I think there is something intrinsically beneficial in solving problems that require deep thought and hand and eye coordination.

I agree with you to an extent that the bootfloor reinforcement is a skilled job, but I do not think it is technically challenging like other jobs. In my opinion what separates the good garages from the not so good is the time they take to complete the job comprehensively. In short you are not paying for technical knowledge so much but time.

I have changed my plans sightly and it will not be as ambitious as before and therefore I may be able to complete it in a short time. I will ask my friend if I can use a ramp at his garage for a couple of days as this will really help speed things up.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)