My E92 Build thread

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by markturner, Feb 19, 2016.

1. 19 Feb 2016 at 3:13 PM #1
    markturner

markturner Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2007 E92 M3 manual, 996.2 GT3, JCW mini
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    Hi all interested people......I thought I would do a proper build thread, as my mods etc so far are scattered across various threads and this is the correct place for it. So apologies if some of the stuff at the beginning is a re hash.

The car is currently at A Reeve Performance having a load of stuff done, sadly, I don't have time or facilities to do as much as I would like, and having seen Aaron's amazingly well equipped and spacious set up, felt very happy leaving it with him for the complicated stuff.....

I also thought it may be good if I added all the updates to the first post, rather than scattering them through the thread, what do you think?

Here is the car when I first got her:

[​IMG]

The dealer did a good job of dazzling me with a shiny exterior and my first ride in V8 BMW......in hindsight, I should have looked around more and haggled on the price, but hey ho....

So it was not long before I got thinking about how I could improve the car, I always loved to make my motorbikes a bit special, and the car was no exception....

I started with an Akrapovic rear section and Russ Fellows centre pipe section, plus a BCL filter and remap - now it sounded like a proper car.....Here is the new exhaust, with rear diffuser:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, some cosmetic mods next, a rear window carbon spoiler and rear diffuser, BMW performance rear boot spoiler plus the back windows tinted......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next came some 359 Avant garde wheels in gunmetal

[​IMG]

Some interior love next, a set of pedalHaus pedals and heelrest, Storm Motorwerks gear lever and handbrake set, a retrimmed and flat bottom modified steering wheel and matching alcantara gaiters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also managed to get a set of almost as new front seats, to replace my slightly worn items.

So that was all great and I was now pleased with the cars looks and sound, however, when I got the wheels fitted and set up, I had a good look under the car and did not like what I saw.....she is a 2007 and several years of road muck and water had not been kind.....

I got to thinking about what I could do and started looking at underside restoration threads and aftermarket components......

Long story short, I ordered from the very helpful Roy at CA, the following kit:

BC racing BR coilovers
    New discs, stoptech pads and braided lines
    Ground control adjustable camber arm set
    Eibach roll bars front and rear
    Rogue engineering diff & transmission mounts
    Rogue subframe mounts
    Rogue engineering short shift kit

I also got a rear subframe from a breakers , as mine was a bit rusty, so I am currently getting this stripped and re painted prior to the new bushes being fitted so it can be swapped in when all the work is done...my aim is for it to look brand new underneath.....here is the subframe after I had stripped it, it was a crappy job and in the end, after 4 hours, I decided to get it blasted and powder coated. When I got it back I decided to give it an extra coat of black hammerite, just to be sure:

[​IMG]

I have been working out where to get the work done and have sorted a great deal with Aaron at A Reeve performance, in fact such a great deal, that I am also getting him to install upgraded throttle actuators and also fit the upgraded shell bearings and rod bolts, ( these two items being preventative really and for peace of mind, seeing as the car has 50,000 miles...)as well as change the diff and transmission oil, set the suspension and geometry up, corner weight it and dyno it........Phew...should be pretty much a new car when I get it back.......

Final icing on the cake is a set of BBS RS GT2 forged wheels I managed to buy from Girthsham here for a sweet price.....:cool:

So, here is the car up on the ramp and some pictures of the underside and suspension, with wheels off and bumper removed for stonechips to be repaired:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a pretty sight really, and I was surprised at how quickly things deteriorate underneath. Aaron is also getting it all stripped off, the aluminium suspension components are going to be powder coated silver, as they obviously corrode and don't look nice, even after cleaning, so I think that's the way forward. All the bolts are also going to be blasted and then zinc plated. The front undertray is broken, so will be replaced and the sump Guard is another item that will be silver powder coated. My rear discs were also shot so its new discs all round now. All the undercar brake pipes will be done in braided steel as well. I am getting all the calipers and brackets powder coated yellow, the front calipers are brand new ( £150 steal from e bay..!!) , the rears will just be rebuilt and new pads all around. For the sort of driving I do, which is mostly enthusiastic road use, the upgrades should be fine...I would have liked to be able to drop several grand on a BBK, but with all this other stuff, it was a budget buster.....

Engine work - Aaron is going to replace the shell bearings and rod bolts with upgraded versions as well as fit his versions of the upgraded throttle actuator gears. he is also going to do a remap, to make sure it's all performing to the max. Here is the car on the dyno prior to the work being done:

[​IMG]

And here is the printout:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's making a pretty healthy 400BHP, which Aaron reckons he can get up around 425....:cool: Also goes to show how optimistic the claimed BMW figure of 414 is......

Here is some pictures of some of the parts ready to be fitted:

[​IMG]

And a close up of the sweet looking ground control adjustable arms:

[​IMG]

That's all for now.....

OK, Time for a small update....

Got the plenum cover away being sprayed orange..... :)

[​IMG]

The sump being exposed: ( Its looking waaaaay too dirty under there for my liking........ !!!)

[​IMG]

And off with the shells and rod ends exposed:

[​IMG]

Engine mounts are apparently starting to get perished, so they are coming out as well, Aaron has looked at the vanos and the actuators , Vanos is OK, the actuators are starting to wear, so good job they are being replaced with the new upgraded ones.

29th February: Small update, first batch of stuff back from powder coaters - front subframe, sump guard and soem suspension arms. I decided to get these coated silver, as the exposed Ali was going to be to difficult to keep looking polished and nice underneath the car:

[​IMG]

3rd march update:

Went up to see Aaron yesterday and check progress......The car is now fully stripped down, here are all the bits in the workshop:

[​IMG]

And the underside with everything removed:

[​IMG]

I brought some interior trims from ebay that had been hydrodipped in carbon...they looked great in the pictures, but not so great in real life....So, I got them sprayed high gloss black and polished and get them installed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty pleased how they came out...

Apparently, tomorrow is the big day for the underside cleaning, so will hopefully have some interesting pictures soon.

9th March Update:

There has been some scope creep......oh dear....You know how it is, you think, ah well, might as well do that as well.....In this case, we are adding upgraded ESS crankshaft pully and set of Rogue Engineering accessory pulleys: http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/PP/POWERPULLEY.html

This should free up another 10 -15 BHP and make the engine rev more freely..!

I am also getting the manifolds removed, cleaned and treated with heat resistant paint. Also adding some coloured silicone hoses, to finish everything off on the engine.

here are some pictures of the calipers and brackets at the powder coaters, I got brand new calipers for the front and the rears are being rebuilt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some other parts, wheel hubs and brake shields and a couple of the arms:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. 19 Feb 2016 at 3:24 PM #2
    HookdexM3

HookdexM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Fire orange
    Nice write up mate love what you are doing. Couple of questions about the Rogue stuff as I love their items but they don't seem to do a great deal for E9x:

Have you got specific e9x M3 tranny mounts - their usual items won't fit the M3. And the stock M3 mounts are actually much more solid anyway.
    I wasn't aware they sold diff and subframe mounts have you got a link?

3. 19 Feb 2016 at 3:45 PM #3
    Rob043

Rob043 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    great start, underside refurbishment is the stuff of my dreams :)

4. 19 Feb 2016 at 3:52 PM #4
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
  5. 19 Feb 2016 at 3:55 PM #5
    HookdexM3

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Fire orange
    Those transmission mounts won't fit mate. And the OEM ones are better anyway,

6. 19 Feb 2016 at 10:49 PM #6
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    Well they are advertised as for the M3.....I have no way to know, I am sure Aaron and Roy will be able to resolve any potential issues, and get the best solution installed.....

7. 19 Feb 2016 at 11:22 PM #7
    HookdexM3

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Fire orange
  8. 20 Feb 2016 at 7:08 PM #8
    Nigt3

Nigt3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 m3
    Colour Combo:
    titanium silver
  9. 20 Feb 2016 at 8:00 PM #9
    kevM3

kevM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E92 M3 & 2015 220i M sport
    Colour Combo:
    Sparkling Graphite ,Black leather ,Estoril Blue 220i
    Yeah i like it! its only a matter of time before i get a 92 and this is the sort of thing ill be doing to it , having allready done an underside resto on my 46

10. 20 Feb 2016 at 8:02 PM #10
    2hel

2hel Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2010 E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Alpine White / Fox Red
    Those adjustable arms look sweet! Would love to do the underside but wouldnt know where to start

11. 25 Feb 2016 at 2:53 PM #11
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    Thanks for all the interest, original post updated with some progress & more pictures

12. 27 Feb 2016 at 6:37 PM #12
    M3-STEW

M3-STEW On the path

Your Motor:
    E60 530d
    Colour Combo:
    Black / Black
    Nice start. How much have you got planned for it ?

13. 28 Feb 2016 at 8:39 PM #13
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    By the time its all finished, there wont be much left TO do.....:muttley:

14. 1 Mar 2016 at 9:18 PM #14
    sjdev

sjdev A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    2007 E92 M3
    Love the car so far... Bet the exhaust makes it sound so much better than standard!

15. 9 Mar 2016 at 8:16 AM #15
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    I have updated the post with some more progress. The exhaust will be full Akra when finished and yes, it should sound awesome!

16. 9 Mar 2016 at 8:24 AM #16
    Ziman

Ziman Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    M4CP
    Colour Combo:
    MG with SO
    Hey Mark.... looking good, quite like the interior trims being gloss black think it finishes the interior off nicely.

Look forward to seeing the rest.

17. 10 Mar 2016 at 8:15 AM #17
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    Have to start adding progress here I am afraid, wont let me add any more text to the original post......

OK< the aforementioned big clean up is underway, here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  18. 10 Mar 2016 at 4:20 PM #18
    madein

madein Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2011 BMW M3
    Nice work Mark, where did you go for the blasting and powder coating?

19. 10 Mar 2016 at 5:47 PM #19
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    Hi mate, Aaron will be able to tell you, it's his local guy....I am very pleased I must say with everything so far, the car looks like new underneath.....!!

Next week is the big push to get everything built back up and on to the car, then once that's done, its off to the paint shop to have the bonnet sprayed.....

I am starting to get very excited now ....!!

20. 11 Mar 2016 at 8:54 AM #20
    markturner

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    interlagos blue / black
    Another small update....got the Plenum box back - check this out:

[​IMG]

Also, for those thinking of getting your shellbearings done......I would defintely recommend this, here is one of mine after 50,000 miles:

[​IMG]

You can see where it is starting to wear every easily - an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, as they say!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)