My dream car - Carbon Black E46 M3 Manual

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by Mini 360, Sep 10, 2017.

1. 23 Nov 2017 at 9:41 PM #41
    Shezbo

Shezbo Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 E46 M3 Cabriolet
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black / Black
    Good work...looking great...best colour of course!!:thumbsup:

2. 23 Nov 2017 at 10:13 PM #42
    boba fett

boba fett Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    N/A
    Blimey, had some uppers !!

3. 4 Dec 2017 at 8:23 PM #43
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    June 2001 E46 manual coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black with Kiwi interior
    Another month, another little update.

Found a full interior 5mins away from my house on Facebook Marketplace for a bargain price. Full working M3 interior with heated front seats and inflatable bolsters (which is what really appealed as my interior is just heated). The leather is a bit tired and has wear marks and fading but no scratches or tears so will come up well with what I have planned...

[​IMG]

So since they are beaten up and in the horrid colour that is Kiwi, I want to make them in the rare colour choice of cinnamon. Going to get a leather dye kit from the US which has worked wonders on a few American M3s and has the advantage of being made to match the OEM leather colour.

[​IMG]

Also the snow hit for a couple of days so I had to take advantage of the RWD nature of the car (pictured here pre-fun times)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also up this week was the MOT. Failed on a rusty jubilee clip on the fuel tank to filler neck pipe and a burst tie rod bush. Nothing major thankfully and simple to fix.

On the roof of the dealership amongst the other service/sold stock cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The clips were described as corroded and letting fuel seep out so I thought they had lost their grip on the pipe but not to the extent that they were. Went to replace them last night and they came off without loosening. Totally corroded through!

[​IMG]

New vs old. Thankfully they are easily accessible and I could replace them lying on the street.

[​IMG]

And then back to work for the MOT retest and took advantage of the empty valet bay and blasted off all the salt and muck with the heated power washer system :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got a bargain on some LED rear lights which should arrive soon as well. Will freshen up the rear end and give it the facelift look.

[​IMG]

Next steps? Order the dye for the seats and I got a fresh delivery of carbon fibre supplies so I will get the dash trims finished soon too. Its all coming together and I still adore it!

4. 6 Dec 2017 at 12:28 PM #44
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black
    nice updates mate, cant wait to see how you get on with the leather dye.

Decent result on the MOT also.

5. 6 Dec 2017 at 8:02 PM #45
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Awaiting a response from a UK distributor for the dye so i don't get hammered by import tax on arrival from the US. No rush to do it but it will be a fun little project.

Today was spent redoing the carbon trims. Did it a few weeks back in a different resin to what I usually use and it looked awful so stripped it all back and started from scratch. Looking better already and its just one coat in. 3 to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final layers to go on tonight and leave overnight to cure before flat back and polish with final lacquer layer to prevent UV damage. Should look smart once its all installed!

6. 7 Dec 2017 at 11:16 AM #46
    Deeg01

Deeg01 On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Titan silver / Black

Nice, I'd be interested to see your finished results.

I'm still thinking what I'm going to do to sort out my interior trim, I've got 2 different colours spread between the dash & gear stick surround and then the door trims are different.:mad:

7. 15 Dec 2017 at 7:24 PM #47
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Wee kick in the right direction (aka my fiancé getting fed up of a spare interior taking up the spare room) and Ive stripped the seats of their plastic trims ready for carbon fibre.

[​IMG]

These seats are HEAVY. Lots of wiring, motors and air lines throughout. Taken the seat backs off to get the carbon treatment too.

[​IMG]

All the bits ready to go. As I do this in our kitchen it will have to wait until after Christmas but its all ready to go and marked out for weave direction so it all 'flows' when reassembled.

[​IMG]

And a wee addition to the key.

[​IMG]

In the new year I want to investigate a weeping diff seal and investigate the rear floor/subframe mounting points for the typical cracks. If its needing work, strip the rear off, reinforce with Redish reinforcement plates and tidy it all up a bit. All in good time though!

8. 8 Jan 2018 at 3:42 PM #48
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Found a pic of carbon backed Cinnamon seats. *I think it looks smart. *Removes the storage nets but they are never used and never have folk in back seats anyway.

[​IMG]

Went to the Drivers Collective Boxing Day meet in Kinmuck. *Not a bad turnout considering it was so dam cold (circa -1ºC!) with a few M cars, a Cayman GT4 and Elise Sport 380. *I was met by a near identical E92 M3 in black with competition wheels which I've always seen as updated versions of CSLs. *Cool to see them side by side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on Hogmanay my fiancé and I bailed from Aberdeen for Dundee. *Hotel was still in Christmas mode.

[​IMG]

On the 1st we got up early to deserted roads and headed home via Pitlochry, The Old Military Road, Glenshee and North Deeside Road. *Brilliant fun and lots of room for slidey action (especially in sub zero temperatures on these tyres :lol:)

Just coming in to Pitlochry

[​IMG]

Just after Glenshee Ski Centre I stopped and grabbed a couple of phone pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats the good stuff, now for a little less god stuff....

Coming home from work a few nights ago I came up to a set of lights and suddenly the car started shuddering and misfiring. *Instant fear set in so i drew in to a local supermarket car park to see what was what. *No visible signs of leaks, broken pars or strange noises from the engine bay so thinking it would be electrical related like a plug or coil i nursed the car home at 20mph. *Borrowed Greigs Carista OBD2 bluetooth fault reader*and it identified a misfire in cylinder 5.

[​IMG]

Reading up on the code it confirmed my thoughts of being a plug or coil. *Ordered up 6 new plugs and 6 new coils from a reputable eBay shop that multiple M3 chums have recommended. *To get me going I've thrown a cheap EuroCarParts coil in until my genuine ones arrive. *Problem solved but will replace them all with new when they arrive and keep the ones currently fitted as spares.

[​IMG]

Thankfully a cheap fix and I was fortunate to be able to borrow the Abarth to get to work. *Bonus photo of that wee beast in the work valet bay.

[​IMG]

9. 8 Jan 2018 at 6:13 PM #49
    Adamantium

Adamantium Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Audi Q5 3.0TDi, Audi A5 3.0TDi Cab
    FYI I've been told by a few conolosing companies now not to change the leather colour by repainting/dying/conolising.

It's ok on door cards that do not move much once done, but on seats, the thickness of the paint that must be applied is not durable long term. Usually the amount that needs to be applied to change the colour results in it being thick. You might get away with not a lot starting from a lighter colour.

I really hope it works out for you.

10. 18 Feb 2018 at 9:13 PM #50
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    All good since the coil shat itself until the other night going to pick up the Mrs, the battery warning light came on under full lock then disappeared as I reduced the lock again. *Initially thought it was due to the cold and wet weather and maybe some moisture on the belt but 2mins later it came on permanently.

[​IMG]

Nursed the car home and gradually started to lose lights etc. Checked the status of the battery and alternator using a test sequence on the gauge cluster and it was giving figures of 11-11.5V with the car switched on, aka ****ed alternator.

Using the Carista OBD2 reader again it proved the theory

[​IMG]

Ordered up a new alternator and it arrived today. Bit of a faff to fit it as you have to take the airbox out and try and not break brittle plastic clips (broke 3 in the process....) for the radiator fan shroud and theres two oil hard lines in the way as well. Bit of wiggling and it was out.

[​IMG]

The bearing on the old one sounds rough as **** so guess its been on its way out for a while.

New one in its place awaiting the belt to be properly routed.

[​IMG]

And voila, no more battery light.

[​IMG]

Still pretty lucky I could use the Mrs 595 whilst it was awaiting the alternator but glad to be back in this again.

11. 18 Feb 2018 at 9:39 PM #51
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Few weeks back the ABS warning light came on with the handbrake and TCS light. Lovely. Knew straight away what it was, simple ABS sensor on the right rear (left rear stops the speedo from working and it was all good) so ordered up a new sensor. It arrived, went to fit it aaaaaaaaaand wrong part. Took it under personal recommendation to get the blue connector for the M3 but mine had the grey one which has different pin locations. New grey one on its way along with a new ABS ring as I found it had snapped and worked its way loose, taking out the sensor as it did so.

The differing connectors

[​IMG]

The snapped ABS ring. Need to whip the driveshaft out to replace this and I dont have a 36mm multi point socket to remove the old hub nut (new one being put on) so will have to wait until I get a socket to fit.

[​IMG]

Since its running staggered wheels it was cool to see how wide the rear tyres are. Michelin Pilot Super Sports are great in the dry so can't wait to get the car out to play in the summer time.

[​IMG]

The other day going to work I heard a rumbling from the front right wheel. Instantly ordered up a new wheel bearing kit and I got that changed out today. Bit of a faff as I didnt have a 46mm socket or breaker bar long enough to take the hub nut off but with new tools bought, it soon got sorted out.

[​IMG]

Old bearing looked rather worn to say the least! Looks like the last one that was put on didn't have the rear dust cover fitted so crap has managed to get in and wear it out prematurely.

[​IMG]

All reassembled and new front dust cover popped on. Should be good for years to come as the car wont be getting used as much as it has been previously....

[​IMG]

Which leads me perfectly to introducing the newest member of the fleet. The unplanned new daily in the form of a V reg Rav4 3dr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best mate had this going spare and a decent deal was done. Sat for 6months unmoved so brakes were rusted up and battery needed replaced. With a new battery and a run up and down the road clearing the brakes, it was good to go. Great car for carting **** about reliably, without having to worry about the car getting damaged parked on the street or costing me the earth to fuel. M3 will stay off the road until I do a couple of bits of ongoing maintenance and will be deep cleaned in time for summer

And I shall end the update with the M3 with a shot from outside the work valet bay

[​IMG]

12. 18 Feb 2018 at 10:19 PM #52
    m5lvyn

m5lvyn Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    F87 M2 LBB
    Nice progress mate. Reminds me of my old CB e46!

13. 19 Feb 2018 at 8:15 AM #53
    mr_vys

mr_vys Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    bicycle
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black / Black nappa
    Lovely looking car mate! :thumbsup:
    Must be one of the very first few, being a Y reg, can't be many about...
    Not sure if you noticed but your front discs are fitter wrong way round, you have left one on the right and right one on the left...
    Was reading your thread and my OCD-dar kicked in :blink:

14. 26 Feb 2018 at 9:58 AM #54
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Yes it’s a June 2001 car so VERY early in the production cycle. Rare car as it has every option you could get from launch I think.

Yeh I saw this too but it was too cold to strip the other side and swap over :lol:

15. 26 Feb 2018 at 11:07 AM #55
    tpalmer

tpalmer On the path

Your Motor:
    Carbon Black E46 M3
    How's the interior colour change coming on? Keen to see how it comes out!

16. 4 Mar 2018 at 7:27 PM #56
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    So am I :roflmao:

Haven’t touched the interior yet as I’m waiting for warmer weather so I can do it in my garage :)

17. 4 Mar 2018 at 11:12 PM #57
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Ordered up some new bolts for the output shaft. £41 from BMW so not bad!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  18. 3 May 2018 at 5:19 PM #58
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Long time, no update. Few bits and pieces done but nothing major.

Got the new ABS ring fitted. Driveshaft was a nightmare to remove! Got there in the end and fitted new bushes and wheel bearing to the arm since it was off anyway.

Replaced the driveshaft to diff bolts with brand new BMW high tensiles for peace of mind as well. The old ones were fairly chewed up so for all the cost, it made sense.

[​IMG]

It also got an oil service as it was due in around 3000 miles anyway. That and a full wheel alignment has meant its good to go for a few more thousand miles.

Then today I went on a little road trip to Arbroath. A set of original OEM 18" wheels turned up incredibly cheap on Facebook Marketplace. Instantly messaged him, sent a deposit and jumped in the car. The car came on these from the factory according to VinDecoder so its only right that the CSL reps getting removed. Bigger side wall as well so rides better. Will see what its like when pushing on but the difference there may lie in the different tyre brand.

Bumped into a tidy V8 Vantage at the fuel stop.

[​IMG]

Came with not the most amazing tyre ever made but they have plenty tread so will last for now.

[​IMG]

They look to have been recently refurbed, with only a couple of very minor kerb marks. At £250 for the set I'm not complaining!

[​IMG]

Found a new setting for some pics on the way home as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since they are in such good condition I treated them to a full deconamination and wheel sealant to keep them in tip top conditon for a few months.

[​IMG]

And fitted to the car. Much better! Excuse the arch gap, undriven at this point so will settle down.

[​IMG]

Also bought a second-hand supersprint centre section. No rush to fit this but again, bought for a bargain price.

[​IMG]

And the Rav4 is currently up for sale as I just bought it for a cheap winter beater when the snow hit. So a new daily was required.....and thanks to some convenient timing, there was an incredible JLR staff deal on 2018MY Range Rover Velars so heres the new daily! Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic S. Nothing too fancy as its only got non-metallic black, privacy glass, 20" satin grey wheels. Arrives later this month/early next month and the M3 can then become the toy again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So its going to be a pretty drug dealer spec driveway but hey ho, both cool cars :lol:

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  19. 11 Jun 2018 at 8:25 PM #59
    Mini 360

Mini 360 A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Minor update again but an update all the same!

I looked into fitting the exhaust centre section and had a look underneath. All seems good condition save for these support brackets. They are about £50 a pop new so I've taken them off to strip, blast and powder coat.

[​IMG]

Standard valet bay photo....

[​IMG]

Stonehaven beachfront photo....

[​IMG]

My steering rack line is looking a bit corroded so since I would have to take the rack out to fix it, I decided to get a purple tag rack. I know this will throw up a DSC warning on the dash as my car is such an early build but I drive with DSC off anyway so won't make a difference to me!

[​IMG][/url]

As part of this I bought a solid steering coupler to compliment it as there is a bit of play off centre.

[​IMG]

Pic of the Mrs car alongside mine on a scorching summers day.

[​IMG]

And then my Velar arrived a month earlier than anticipated so I collected it asap. Brilliant daily, economical and comfortable. Keeps the miles off the M3 and means I can spend time tinkering on the M3 as well. Got the car for 12months only but can't ask for a nicer car, especially when it is costing me so little per month!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/url]

I'm in a Scottish M3 WhatsApp group and someone posted a link up for a carbon intake on eBay going ridiculously cheap. Couple mins later and my best offer (well I had to try my luck with a discount!) was accepted. Few days later it arrived. Its in fair condition, with some heat damage by the looks of it on the top face but I can sort that. Removed the M-POWER sticker as it looked crap.

[​IMG]

All fitted up nicely. Not convinced by internet chats saying it improves throttle response etc as it feels the same but it looks nice, sounds slightly throatier and didn't cost me much. No replacement for a CSL intake but thats a while away yet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In preparation for a local show in aid of Alzheimers Research, I cleaned the car inside and out and put on a coat of Poorboys black hole to add a bit of depth and hide some of the swirl marks. Still need to detail the car but Im concentrating on mechanical stuff before venturing into that. Shines up well for a 17yr old car!

[​IMG]

Met up with my mate in his freshly rebuilt and MOTd MK2 Golf GTI. First time its seen a road in 14yrs so fair play to him. Not my cup of tea but I do like the colour combo of bronze wheels and Oak Green.

[​IMG]

And we arrived to park up next to my dad in his now sold 1971 Bay Window Type 2 Camper!

[​IMG]

I'm off on the NorthCoast500 at the end of the month for my stag do so a few bits needing done before then but nothing drastic. Fit the new rack, get the air con serviced as its blowing cold but not AC cold air and give it a good check over in general. Should hit about 750 miles in total over 4 days. GoogleMaps won't allow me to complete the route but it goes back to Inverness then back to Aberdeen again.

[​IMG]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)