My dream car - Carbon Black E46 M3 Manual

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by Mini 360, Sep 10, 2017.

1. 10 Sep 2017 at 6:13 PM #1
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    June 2001 E46 manual coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon black with Kiwi interior
    Hello fellow M3 Cutters!

Usual story...long time lurker....reading up and researching the car before buying etc and wednesday saw me finally buying an E46 of my own! I've waited literally years to get to this point so I'm over the moon to have finally bought one.

So to the car itself then. It's an E46 M3 in Carbon Black with contrast kiwi leather interior.

It's definitely an early one, having been made in June 2001 but it is on just 83k and I am only its third owner. The previous owner owned it for the last 8yrs and put on a grand total of 4k miles on it in that time. He has put fresh brakes and tyres on all round within the last couple months and has maintained it meticulously throughout his ownership. Given that it's an early car, it's had the rod bearings/shells replaced under warranty but it still needs a couple of fresh airbags under recall as well.

It's not perfect cosmetically, as it needs a full machine polish and a deep clean of the kiwi leather interior, however the spec and condition overall had me sold on it as soon as I saw it on Sunday. It's got an impressive spec for being such an early car*with headed seats, Harmon kardon, sat nav, TV, xenons and a sun roof.

Plans for it are to maintain it and gradually improve it over time. There's a leaking rear light or boot seal as the boot has some water in it but that's an easy fix. Couple of bits of interior trim could be doing with replacement but everything works. The interior door pulls are a priority as the paint has wrinkled with use but other than that, it's in very good condition throughout. The kiwi green/yellow interior isn't to my taste so I'm already on the lookout for a red leather replacement but will clean it up before looking into this.

Anyway, rather than drone on for pages and pages (which trust me, would be all too easy having lusted after on of these for a decade) I will let some of the pics from the for sale ad do the talking for now before I get better pics at the weekend. To say I'm happy would be an insane understatement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's currently running replica CSL wheels which I intend to change in time. Given the fact they have fresh tyres, they may stay for a while yet though.

[​IMG]

The marmite interior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better pics and video of straight six throttle bodied note to come!

2. 10 Sep 2017 at 6:25 PM #2
    grchmason

grchmason Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Phoenix Yellow / Kiwi
    Congrats my friend and look forward to a load more updates :thumbsup:

3. 10 Sep 2017 at 6:27 PM #3
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Did a couple of bits and pieces on this today whilst I inspected it a bit more thoroughly. All looks good but couple quick things needed done.

First up, get rid of the engine bay sound deadening to increase to noise a bit as its a bit quiet with it fitted. Few plastic screws and job done. Will keep this stored for future since its an M3 specific part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All nice and fresh metal underneath which is a bonus too

[​IMG]

Engine bay is impressively clean too. Been well cared for and no signs of current or old leaks anywhere.

[​IMG]

Also I tried to fix the boot leak situation. Took out the left rear light as it seems to be coming from there. The seal has a cut in it and I'm unsure if this was there from factory or not. Ive cleaned the seal up and have superglued the cut so its one continual seal now. Tightened the light to the car pretty tightly so hopefully thats that sorted. Will check the next time it rains.

[​IMG]

The wheel is pretty grubby and i need to get some cleaning products topped up but in the meantime I took a damp towel to it and it cleaned up the M stitching pretty well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still has the original exhaust and it was looking rather tired in the tip department. Don't have wire wool to clean them properly but a quick polish with Meguiars and they are better than before anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the car came with the old school phone holder which is useless with my iPhone, I have whipped that out of the centre console and fitted my cup holders which I kept when I sold my old E46 320cd. I knew it would come in handy again some day! Just need to get the coin tray for the rear to finish it off nicely.

[​IMG]

4. 11 Sep 2017 at 10:02 AM #4
    Rob043

Rob043 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    Looking like the start of a good thing.... enjoy

5. 11 Sep 2017 at 1:12 PM #5
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Thanks! Only thing I'm not enjoying is 22mpg cruising about where I live but that's to be expected really!

6. 11 Sep 2017 at 1:42 PM #6
    M33SWJ

M33SWJ Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2004 M3 vert & 2012 M3 Comp Pack
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Black & Silverstone II/Black
    Welcome...living the dream!!

7. 14 Sep 2017 at 4:57 PM #7
    saty

saty Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 LSB Vert
    Colour Combo:
    LSB with Black
    Congrats on getting your dream car, she looks a good example. Have fun getting her back to full glory and enjoy it :)

8. 14 Sep 2017 at 8:37 PM #8
    Rob043

Rob043 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Alpine Edition E92 M3
    Colour Combo:
    White / Black
    With plenty urban miles that sounds good. Out for fun runs in the sticks and cruising home I get high 20's

9. 15 Sep 2017 at 12:42 AM #9
    0asis2007

0asis2007 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Individual Aegean Blue/Light Silver Grey Nappa
    Congrats, looks like you'll be doing the car justice by bringing it back to its former glory!! Love these threads, I'll be following with interest :thumbsup:

10. 18 Sep 2017 at 10:17 AM #10
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Thanks gents! Loving it so far and had it in at John Clark BMW Aberdeen today for the airbag recalls which were outstanding on the car. Knew this before I bought the car as we have a BMW dealer in Edinburgh which is within my dealership group. Handy to have a contact there for future enquiries too!

[​IMG]

Couldn't fault the service and got it washed and vac'd purely because Im ridiculously busy with work at the moment and it needs a full machine polish anyway, so the valeters couldn't swirl it any more than it already is :thumbsup:

Was nice to find this inside unannounced too. Hand written thank you card and Lindor chocolates which just so happen to be my favourite :)

[​IMG]

Seeing their M2 in the showroom made me want one, however £9500 deposit and nearly £600 a month prevents that from happening! :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their aforementioned valeters did an utterly crap job on the wheels though. I know it was just in for a recall job but still...standards are standards. If this was one of our valeters I would be embarrassed.

[​IMG]

Minor thing but its made a good difference is the pollen filter. Manky from sitting for so long and made the interior smell awful. Eurocarparts with a code meant £7 later I had a fresh one installed. Much nicer smelling interior now.

[​IMG]

Next up will be cleaning up the interior as its really spoiling the overall feel of the car. Going to borrow my parents steam cleaner for that as the dirt is right down into the grain of the seats.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  11. 18 Sep 2017 at 10:58 AM #11
    marrow

marrow Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 m3 vert
    Looks nice mate I would keep that interior over red tbh !

For trims pm lovatt on here he repaired and paint mine good as new and colour match is perfect much cheaper than buying new from stealers.

12. 18 Sep 2017 at 9:43 PM #12
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    We shall see what I think when its cleaned :)

Trims is a good shout! I may go for carbon but time and money shall see....:muttley:

13. 24 Sep 2017 at 5:03 PM #13
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Went out to my folks on Friday night and as I left, the rear tyre was flat as a pancake. Quick inspection and there was a screw in the tread of the tyre. Rather than use the inflation kit and drive it home, I've left the car round the back of their house and my dads put it up on a jack until he can ge the wheel off and a new tyre fitted. Rather annoyed as the tyres have got 7-8mm left and with them being Michelin Pilot Super Sports, they aint cheap!

So this is how it stands currently until that gets done. MY dads XJR was getting some suspension work as well.

[​IMG]

In other news, an old colleague of mine bought an E46 saloon and bought some Heko wind deflectors for it. Turns out he was sent coupe deflectors so they don't fit his car. Whatever company sent them told him to keep them and they will send out the right ones instead, so I came home to these on my doorstep and a text saying to have them for free since he doesn't need to send them back. Unsure if I will fit them or not but nice to have the option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 10 Nov 2017 at 2:24 PM #14
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Few pics from my commute last week via the beach boulevard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And since it’s a black car I’m quickly realising how hard it is to keep clean! No pressure washer at home yet so quick jetwash on my way home from work had to do. Was planning on using the jetwash in the valet bay at work but the language barrier caused too much confusion for that to happen....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then proceeded to get it dirty again by going for a blast up Cairn O Mount with Tav and Sofa in their Anglo/French hatches. Good fun and the M3 was a hoot to drive quickly on the twisties. The Pilot Super Sports have really impressed me so far and wet weather performance is surprisingly good as well.

[​IMG]

Next steps are interior deep clean and external detail. Just got to wait to be added to works rota so I can start working 5 days a week instead of 6 like I’ve done for the last 3 months!

15. 10 Nov 2017 at 2:29 PM #15
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Since I had the luck of a day off and nice weather, I took the opportunity to clean the car a bit more thoroughly rather than a jetwash.

Gave it a couple of coats of Poorboys Black Hole to hide the swirls and then a final layer of Auto Finesse Illusion wax. It’s come up with a high gloss which should last a couple months before it needs reapplied again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Papped by the Mrs as her car got a thorough clean as well (first time in 18 months it’s been washed *)

[​IMG]

16. 10 Nov 2017 at 2:30 PM #16
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Nothing happening on this apart form eating its weight in fuel. Took the dash trims off today to start the carbon skinning process. All carbon'd up now and awaiting resin tomorrow. So heres the before shots...

[​IMG][/url]

[​IMG][/url]

17. 10 Nov 2017 at 7:19 PM #17
    simonas

simonas Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    E46 Vert SMG TVR Chimaera 500
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black/Kiwi Leather
    Cars ace mate and enjoyed this thread.

Bought a carbon black myself in September and loving it.

I have the kiwi leather so intrigued to see how you get on with steam cleaning as I may copy you :)

Lucky getting the CSL wheels they looks so nice. I need to get a set

18. 12 Nov 2017 at 3:47 PM #18
    Mini 360

Mini 360 On the path

Your Motor:
    Colour Combo:
    Gave it a quick going over with the steamer but need to have another go when I have more time. It works but you have to work fairly quickly before the pores of the leather close up again.

I have plans to replace these wheels (at some point) with something more motorsport inspired but these CSL reps will do for now.

19. 12 Nov 2017 at 5:19 PM #19
    mantazini

mantazini Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Lovely , have exactly same colour combo :)

20. 12 Nov 2017 at 8:05 PM #20
    simonas

simonas Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    E46 Vert SMG TVR Chimaera 500
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black/Kiwi Leather
    I'll keep an eye out for a sales thread :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)