Mod friendly insurance in N.Ireland?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Jemster, Feb 8, 2017.

1. 8 Feb 2017 at 10:01 AM #1
    Jemster

Jemster Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 Coupé (Gone)
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    So I'm going for my renewal, and last year I declared wheel spacers, even though I hadn't got any, to make sure I'd be covered when I put them on. I never got around to it with one thing and another. But this year, I thought I'd leave it the same just in-case.

The only quotes to come in under £500 are:
    LV £363, Nationwide @ £390 and Flux Direct @ £490

All the others either won't insure or shoot up to over £1000. I'm none too keen on renewing with LV as the excess is £400 with a £190 windscreen excess (seriously? might as well not bother...) Even Flux has £450 excess but a more reasonable windscreen cover.

Taking off the spacers and loads of quotes under £500, e.g.

Hastings £288, 1st Central, Insure Pink, Nationwide, Sure Thing, Auto net, Tesco, Elephant, Admiral, Masterquote...

Some of these with more reasonable £250 excesses. This is from just one operatic price comparison site.

Looks like another year of no spacers. I would accept it if the mod was in any way going to impact the car's performance, desirability, value, etc etc... but if I bought a set of standard size 19's with different offsets, nobody would give a damn.

Seems crazy to settle for a lesser policy, with a price increase that outweighs the price of the spacers. Not just that, but the increase in excess is more than the price of the things. So they kill you up-front with a charge, then effectively refuse to cover them if they did get damaged. Sharks. The lot of 'em :rolleyes:

Anyone got any suggestions before I pull the pin on keeping it stock for another year?

2. 8 Feb 2017 at 7:49 PM #2
    Nigt3

Nigt3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2002 m3
    Colour Combo:
    titanium silver
    Do you think an insurance assessor would really realise you had 15 or 10mm spacers on, no chance just don't mention them and put them on

3. 8 Feb 2017 at 8:30 PM #3
    Jemster

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 Coupé (Gone)
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Personally, I wouldn't be testing that theory. I couldn't afford for my insurance to be voided at just the point when I need it after an accident. They'll weasel out at any excuse. Spacers are an obvious addition.

Gave up. Went with Hastings and will leave it stock for another year.

4. 8 Feb 2017 at 8:45 PM #4
    jonboy1984

jonboy1984 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2011 dct e90
    Colour Combo:
    Space grey / black leather
    This... A wheel spacer isn't a max power boot build. They look like part of the wheel. Who's to say you bought the car like that and you couldn't tell one end of a car from another?.. Never worry about it and tell them fuk all

5. 9 Feb 2017 at 1:03 AM #5
    AMacQ

AMacQ On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    SG / Black / Orange
    Spacers ???

You mean those parts of the alloys that broke away during the incident!

Sure, that's the way they all are. Aren't they? lol

How's the tyre wear these days?

6. 9 Feb 2017 at 12:30 PM #6
    Jemster

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 Coupé (Gone)
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    :D

Jeez ya can't win on Cutters. Post in any other section and you'd be crucified for daring to suggest not declaring a mod to the insurance. Post in the N.I. section and yer all a bunch of insurance dodging wideboys. :roflmao:

C'mon own up, how many of you's have the car declared as a 316i on the logbook? :muttley:

Tyre wear... good question, dunno. Too early to say, I've only got about 1000 miles on the new ones so far and they're holding up fine. Keeping an eye on the pressure every couple of weeks and keeping them 2.4/2.3 in the vague hope that it'll make a difference.

I put the Kumho KU39's on and I gotta say I've been very impressed with them so far. No noticeable difference in traction between them and the Continental 3's that came off and good grip in the cold wet weather. Only thing I don't like is the lack of rim protector, but for £450 for a set of 4, I guess you can't have everything.

7. 9 Feb 2017 at 1:26 PM #7
    AMacQ

AMacQ On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    SG / Black / Orange
    Kumho's you say.... mmmm.

I bought a Z3 recently for my dad to use over the summer and have spent the past few weeks putting it right, but it's in need of some tyres. Always gone with Toyo T1R's if straying away from the premium brands, but they seem to be getting phased out and cant find rears to fit with any of the online suppliers.

Got used to the Toyo when they were the only people supplying a 195/40/16 for the Pug and to be honest, have found them great, but can't bring myself to commit to anything non-Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop now...

8. 9 Feb 2017 at 1:45 PM #8
    Jemster

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 Coupé (Gone)
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    It had new Toyo's on the rear when I bought it (Michelin Sport something or other on the front). I chewed through them in not many miles. Put the Conti 3's on it, and they were a bit better than the Toyo at first.

Dalgib was swearing by the Kumho's. I checked out the prices at the time and a pair of rear Kumho's was going to be £220 as opposed to £280 for some Goodyear Ass-3's. I was all set for the Goodyears then noticed the fronts really needed done as well. The 225/40 Goodyears were going to be £380 for a pair, as opposed to £230 for Kumho. So it became £450 vs. £660. Given I had been replacing so frequently I thought I'd give 'em a shot. If they were crap, I wouldn't have to suffer them too long! :D

Good choice, in my opinion, but keeping it quiet as if it ain't MPSS it's **** round here ;)

9. 9 Feb 2017 at 2:03 PM #9
    AMacQ

AMacQ On the path

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    SG / Black / Orange
    Indeed...

I'll still swear by the Toyo's. Got 25k+ on my fronts and had over 20k on the rears before they were done and plenty of grip, but they're an old design and compound so think their day is done.

Looking at the Kumho range, the KU36 looks interesting and very affordable in the size I'm after. Not likely to take the Z3 out in anything other than dry weather.

10. 9 Feb 2017 at 2:24 PM #10
    Jemster

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 Coupé (Gone)
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    Not sure about the KU36, read a few posts from people saying they're noisy and not so good in the wet... But no first hand experience. Are they much different price-wise from the KU39?

11. 9 Feb 2017 at 3:21 PM #11
    Dalgib

Dalgib Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 M140
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey/Black Dakota

Told you they were decent mate, did you put csl sizes on 245 front and 275 rear, where did you get them from, pre brexit I got them for £400 a set, I'm with 1st central, they know about my remap, £330.

12. 9 Feb 2017 at 3:24 PM #12
    Dalgib

Dalgib Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2017 M140
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey/Black Dakota
    Stick to KU39 only, I've KU36 on her Civic, I'm glad it's her car not mine, though haven't had and incidents yet lol

13. 9 Feb 2017 at 3:39 PM #13
    Jemster

Your Motor:
    2005 M3 Coupé (Gone)
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey / Black
    I thought about it, but didn't go CSL sizes, I just went stock 255/35 and 225/40. Stock CSL should be 265/30 on the rear? But my OCD couldn't live with the smaller sidewall of the 265/30. I want the arches filled more, not less! :D :D

However, given the lack of rim protector, I'd probably go the wider ones next time.

Got them from Armo (Street Racer), cos a few pennies more than going to tyreleader (If I recall correctly) but it was more convenient dealing with one person and I'd rather he made a few quid than somebody else.

I got a quote from 1st central when I declared no mods, but they didn't quote when I added spacers. I almost went with them for the no mods, as that Meerkat site was claiming they had a great price and a £150 excess. Unfortunately it was too good to be true. When I clicked through to the site they added another £400 compulsory vehicle excess for the M3, taking it to £550. The Hastings policy gave me £350 excess for £290 so I went with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)