Merc GLC-crabbing/skipping?

Discussion in 'Other Marques' started by Flapps, Jun 23, 2018.

1. 23 Jun 2018 at 5:58 PM #1
    Flapps

Flapps Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E93 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone II/extended fox red, with all the whistles and bells.
    Thinking of getting one of these but just heard that they suffer from a design fault whereby on full lock at low speeds, such as parking, the wheels skip/crab. Its only on RHD vehicles not LHD and this is apparently due to the amount of space the steering/diff takes up on RHD models???? Colder weather also hampers the issue as well.

It appears that this fault develops across all wheel sizes and the problem can be eased with different types of tyres depending on what wheels you have. Apparently the problem is worse on full fat AMG models (43 and 63). Dealerships have suggested using new tyres, but it seems that this offers little respite because once the tyres start to wear down, the problem resurfaces.

This apparently also effects Audi A6, Jags and BMWs???

Are you thinking of getting one of these and not heard of this problem or do you have one of these and experienced any issues with this type of thing?

Flapps

2. 24 Jun 2018 at 10:35 PM #2
    Biggles

Biggles Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    SQ5, M135i
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral Grey/Coral Red
    I don’t have one but have been doing some responses them too, apparently winter tyres can fix the issue. Only problem is that’ll balls the handling up a tad on the AMG models.

3. 24 Jun 2018 at 10:45 PM #3
    E46CoupeM3

E46CoupeM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2001 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Black
    No way tyres fix a geometry issue unless they grip that badly you can't feel the issue
    Also find it unlikely to be a geometry issue unless something bizarre done to make RHD models

4. 24 Jun 2018 at 11:22 PM #4
    Moonstone

Moonstone Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2018 RS5
    Had this on my Maserati on Pirelli PZeros with the OEM mark on them. Changed for Continentals and the problem disappeared right down to them needing replaced.

5. 25 Jun 2018 at 1:32 AM #5
    JGB

JGB Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2013 BMW M3 LE500 Coupe & 2017 Msport 440i vert (LCI) MPPSK & 2018 Merc GLC 350d AMG line
    Colour Combo:
    Stratus Grey - black int / Sapphire Black - black int / Brilliant Blue - black int
    I bought a new 350d GLC AMG line in February I had read about the problem with the steering on lock so was a bit wary. Mine has 19” alloys (thicker rubber = non kerbed alloys when the Mrs drives it was the thinking) and I have had no issues at all. I’m really impressed with it, the larger engine suits it - The 220 and 250 are much harsher in comparison. It surprises a few people in Sport+ mode, it’s deceptively quick. Got a really good deal as obviously diesel is the work of the devil :D

6. 25 Jun 2018 at 10:44 AM #6
    Iatm

Iatm Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M6 Gran Coupe LCI
    I read up on the issue with I was dabbing in the e43 few years ago. I think it was made out to be worse than the issue was. Many cars with wide tyres etc make some noise when on full lock. It depends how often you use full lock on your steering.

I guess the best way to see if it annoys you enough is just go to a dealership and say you have heard of the issue can I just take on full lock round the car park :muttley::muttley: just be sure not to give it a boot full of the right pedal and end up doing donuts.

7. 26 Jun 2018 at 7:55 PM #7
    Flapps

Flapps Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2008 E93 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone II/extended fox red, with all the whistles and bells.
    Cheers Gents,

Kinda took the wind out of my sails when I heard about this but not going to let it put me off until I have a decent test drive. I'm definitely looking at the 350D specifically. Like the extra grunt if needed to get something this big/weighty out of danger/overtake etc on the move sharpish.

Not really bothered if its the fuel of satan(diesel) and I'll be curious what sort of deal they will be offering, I've seen the latest deal which ends on the last day in June but I won't be looking for one until late August early Sept.

Its either that or a Volvo XC60 or XC90.

Flapps

8. 28 Jun 2018 at 9:33 PM #8
    rsk21

rsk21 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    Various - ex M4 vert CP
    Google “Ackerman effect”.

It’s very common.

It’s disconcerting at first but has zero negative effect on your car.

Honestly it’s a fuss about nothing.

9. 8 Jul 2018 at 1:14 PM #9
    JGB

JGB Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    2013 BMW M3 LE500 Coupe & 2017 Msport 440i vert (LCI) MPPSK & 2018 Merc GLC 350d AMG line
    Colour Combo:
    Stratus Grey - black int / Sapphire Black - black int / Brilliant Blue - black int
    I think you’ll love the pull of the 350d - loads of torque.

Eerily quiet car at speed, but gives a very muscular roar when you stamp on it -

My neighbour wouldn’t belive it was a diesel - even on start up. It’s quite a Jekyll & Hyde going from comfort setting to Sport +

Definately go for Premium option - bigger screen / better nav / Burmeister sound / pan roof etc

I also went for the night pack as losing the chrome makes it more of a handsome beast :thumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)