Mdrive settings

Canuk

A mere Chipper
Jun 19, 2022
Reaction score
What're you driving?
11 E92 M3
Does anyone know (or can point in a direction) where the car stores it's MDrive (MDM) settings? So the choices could be edited for non iDrive cars?

ccfj1

Jan 14, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
335d F25 X3 M Sport X-drive
Colour Combo
Black Nevada/ Space Grey Metallic
In the S65 DME mate.

Editing any of the mdrive options is not possible without the m series engine DME.

This has been done to death on quite a few forums, and the upshot is you need to install a load of m modules to get the right signals back for the modules to populate and allow switching to work, even the m button on the MFSW needs anew steering slip ring.

So, Unless you are an electronics engineer that can canbus code and has an M series car to get all the can bus codes off, then forget it.

That said I did look at this a while ago when i had a e92 and i bought a few M modules, but never got to a working solution, I will be looking at f series options though as i now have an f25 and want to use the m shifter and m cluster (but since i dont have dct this is a hickup).

Canuk

A mere Chipper
Jun 19, 2022
Reaction score
What're you driving?
11 E92 M3
Really appreciate the reply.

I do have an M3, just hoping I could code this myself instead of paying. Sounds rather complicated though.
At least I know where to continue my research.

In North America, M's could be optioned with/without iDrive and/or MDrive. Already have the clockspring assembly, and can change the VO, but there is one more thing and I suspect that it's telling the car what settings are desired.

Last edited:

ccfj1

Jan 14, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
No worries,

Ah ok, sorry mate, i thought you were talking about adding mdm to a non m car... you should be able to do that, if you have the correct slip ring, install .

Add $2MD to the VO and then code the dsc, kombi and cic. then code it manually as descried in DSC module (you many not even have to do below).

MDYNAMIC_MODE_USA "aktiv" to "nicht_aktiv"
US-VEHICLE "nicht aktiv"

Last edited:

Canuk

A mere Chipper
Jun 19, 2022
Reaction score
What're you driving?
11 E92 M3
Yeah, that's what I'm gonna try, not the cic as I shouldn't have that module without iDrive. Was reading around, and some have had issues just changing the VO.

Coding the DSC (mk60) with a fresh file is a good idea, then turning off US functions. The kombi too.

ccfj1

Jan 14, 2009
Reaction score
What're you driving?
Colour Combo
Take a copy of the kombi and dsc and keep them safe (just incase), and then blank man file them with NCSexpert.

Setting up the options without the cic will not be easy i suspect. Not even sure how you would do that TBH??

Canuk

A mere Chipper
Jun 19, 2022
Reaction score
What're you driving?
11 E92 M3
Good idea, gonna backup the DME also.

It has been confirmed to code the deaired options, just never how.

Canuk

A mere Chipper
Jun 19, 2022
Reaction score
What're you driving?
11 E92 M3
Progress report, this was so nerve-racking.

Coded car with $2MD to CAS/NFRM that went okay. Processed whole car, which I'm reading should have been done one module at a time, was an error during that. Looking at the screenshot of the error, it failed at CICM which makes sense.
Edit: doesn't make sense. Why would it have MCIC/CICM in NCSexpert? I don't see the radio module anymore (RAD22), reading up on of the 335 MDSC swap guys, it was mentioned that RAD22 disappeared after coding $2MD.
Not really a big deal, the radio still works, but was hoping to stop the M button from also changing the radio source.

INPA does show the RAD22 module when looking at identification.

Car has no faults, runs and drives. It acknowledges the press of the M button with a green M on the cluster, but no MDM (as expected).

Now to figure out where the settings are stored.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread