M5CS Driven

Discussion in 'M5 (1984-present)' started by SimonH, Jun 29, 2021.

1. 29 Jun 2021 at 12:59 PM #1
    SimonH

SimonH Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    I drove the M5CS this morning, and the stand out feature, without question, is the suspension. It sits 7mm lower than the Competition LCI, but the compliance it has, is a revelation. It feels far more comfortable, without any thumping/skipping, or sometimes being knocked off line, by the smallest bumps in the road. It feels much better suited to our back B roads, and seems to take them all in its stride, with outstanding composure, it really is a big difference.
    Cant say i noticed a big improvement in straightline performance, over my own car, but felt like i would like to attack the road more because of the suspension. I loved the bucket seats, they were very, very supportive, and along with the alcantara steeringwheel, made the ****pit feel that much more racy.
    Overall, the CS does feel like a CS version, if there is such a statement ?, but, but, there is always a but, im still not converted on the price. Its a truly fantastic machine, and i would love that suspension, and the feeling of maybe more confidence it instills, but i just dont think its £50k better than my own car ?.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 29 Jun 2021 at 3:15 PM #2
    DNX

DNX Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    F90 Sapphire Black M5 & F15 Titanium Silver X5 40D
    Colour Combo:
    F90 Black / Black, F15 Silver / Black
    Interesting to read your views after driving it.

I would agree (not having driven it) that the price difference is crazy between a Comp Pack and a CS...however, how much extra would you pay if you could determine the price, what do you think would be a fair amount for the CS over a CP?

3. 29 Jun 2021 at 4:24 PM #3
    JohnM3E90

JohnM3E90 Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    2020 M5 Competition LCI
    Colour Combo:
    Donington Grey
    The Birds like it they sh*t all over it lol. I'd get that off very quickly. A set of Coil-overs will sort the suspension out on yours, mines just fine no skipping or getting knocked off line, check your tyre pressures.

4. 29 Jun 2021 at 4:38 PM #4
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    Im basing the price difference on, how much i paid for my own car, after a large discount, as usual with BMW, and the list price, with no discount for the CS, which is bang on £50k difference. However, if you look at the list price of both my car and the CS, the difference is actually only £30k. If i was to put my own figure on what i think the price difference should be, i would reply, thats a difficult, subjective, question to answer.
    There is no doubt in my mind now, that the CS is the better, more up for it, occasional track use, and B road blaster, with fantastic straightline performance too, compared to the Comp LCI. This doesnt mean the LCI is now rubbish, far from it. Yes, it has a firmer ride, but feels more luxurious inside to me, so now there is a bit more choice, all out more focused machine, or slightly more luxurious machine. If the CS is faster in a straightline, it wont be by very much imho, its the way it can float down the road, and maybe the confidence that this inspires, that makes you want to attack the road more, therefore maybe being quicker ?. I noticed that it corners virtually flat too, at moderately high speeds, didnt absolutely flatten it.
    So, i guess its up to the individuals wants, to put a price on what they would want to pay. If i could swap my car for the CS, it would be in the garage, if they said £20k.
    The biggest disappointment with my car for me, is the noise, it now DOESNT make, i miss the overun bangs and thunderclaps, more than i thought i would, it is absolutely silent. It does still sound good when you are on it, going up the rev range, still very V8ey, but when you are not on it, which is a lot of the time, i can hear my Mrs snoring over the exhaust note :D. If we could have the full fat noise again, it would be worth more than the £20k to me. The CS doesnt sound any different at all to me, over my car, and i feel BMW have let us down badly in this regard, even with OPFs and EU noise regs, they could have done 100% better. :)

Scottyant and Derekh929 like this.
  5. 29 Jun 2021 at 4:40 PM #5
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    Honestly, my car is bang on John, with settings etc, tyre pressures. Its only a few kicker bumps im talking about, and some can feel more through the chassis than others :refuck: :lolwsign:.

Scottyant, JohnM3E90 and toiletduck like this.
  6. 29 Jun 2021 at 4:48 PM #6
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    Thats not bird muck John, thats the overhead spotlights, put your glasses on and switch them to sport + :muttley:

JohnM3E90 likes this.
  7. 29 Jun 2021 at 7:24 PM #7
    stiggly

stiggly Flexing a golden cincture

After comparing the looks of your respective M5’s to that first picture in this thread, I can’t see the attraction as it looks hideous IMO. Keep your car boys

SimonH likes this.
  8. 29 Jun 2021 at 7:30 PM #8
    Derekh929

Derekh929 Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    F56 JCW & Vintage MTB
    Colour Combo:
    WS CR Roof
    Glad you got a drive Simon, and thanks for the review, I really surprised BMW always take a while on models to get compliance bang on, they have done very well on G80 M3 the, compliance is very good. That wheels and brakes :D

SimonH likes this.
  9. 29 Jun 2021 at 7:38 PM #9
    gavinsan

gavinsan Underwear thermally upgraded

What're you driving?:
    Family wagon 2017 320i touring
    Colour Combo:
    Blue / Black
    Thanks for the review Simon and all very interesting . Is this the actual car you ordered and cancelled ? If so surprised it has not sold as i seem to remember you putting a guy off the forum in touch with the dealership when he was hunting one down .

I know this car will nag you now and your price to swap is £20k ? Have you let the dealership know your thoughts on this ?? Assuming they are not shifting them easily i wonder if there is any negotiating to be done ?

SimonH likes this.
  10. 29 Jun 2021 at 7:41 PM #10
    JohnM3E90

What're you driving?:
    2020 M5 Competition LCI
    Colour Combo:
    Donington Grey
    Totally agree mate, looks crap.

stiggly likes this.
  11. 29 Jun 2021 at 7:50 PM #11
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    Hi Gav,
    Yes, this is the very car , but my friend actually bought it, he swapped his M2 CS in for it. This is how I got to drive it :).

gavinsan likes this.
  12. 29 Jun 2021 at 7:52 PM #12
    Henry 145

Henry 145 Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    Audi & Beemers
    Glad you like the buckets as have these in my inbound M4 and also thoughts on steering wheel as loved mine in my CS and want to get this on my new one as lifts the interior

SimonH likes this.
  13. 29 Jun 2021 at 7:55 PM #13
    toiletduck

toiletduck Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    F80
    M5CS looks absolutely cracking. Interesting to hear it's got better ride than the normal one too!

One day maybe...

SimonH likes this.
  14. 29 Jun 2021 at 8:15 PM #14
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    Wheel felt really good in the hands Henry, maybe not quite as fat as the leather one, and the paddles are the same as the M3/4, they feel a little like long Lego bricks to be fair, they have pimples on one paddle, and raised holes on the other, can’t remember which way round they were, for up and downshifts.

15. 29 Jun 2021 at 8:18 PM #15
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    It’s very noticeable, right from the off. I dropped off my friends driveway, which is probably an inch high, and thought, ey up, this feels different , and it was obvious from that point on. Whatever BMW have done with the spring rates and dampers, it feels spot on. It does look much better in the flesh, than the photos depict, it does suit the goldy bronze bits, which I thought I would have off on the first day, but they would definitely be staying.

16. 29 Jun 2021 at 8:31 PM #16
    Henry 145

Henry 145 Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    Audi & Beemers
    thanks Si

17. 29 Jun 2021 at 9:53 PM #17
    Mark6147

Mark6147 On the path

What're you driving?:
    BMW M5 F90
    Must admit sort of glad I still have a 19 plate standard M5. It sounds amazing and for now can do without the latest tech etc and a tiny bit more power from the LCI Comp

SimonH likes this.
  18. 29 Jun 2021 at 10:14 PM #18
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    Absolutely nothing wrong with the standard M5, fabulous car all round .

19. 30 Jun 2021 at 7:28 AM #19
    JohnM3E90

What're you driving?:
    2020 M5 Competition LCI
    Colour Combo:
    Donington Grey
    Lets get this "Clear" the M5 Comp is a Shire Horse it's there for 5 people and the sh*t load of luggage to blast around in, the M5 CS however is trying to be a race horse to blast around B roads in, it will never be a race horse it's too fecking big IF you want a "B" road blaster buy a Porsche turbo S it's the same money and would eat that CS , horses for courses.

20. 30 Jun 2021 at 8:05 AM #20
    SimonH

What're you driving?:
    M5 Competition
    I agree, in part, to your analogy John, but a new Turbo S is far more expensive than an M5 CS, they are now £160k base. I feel though, your money would be far safer in the more expensive Porsche, than it would in the M5 CS. By actually spending more, you will be saving less in depreciation ?. This is if you are paying cash, and not getting roped in, and raped in interest charges on a wacky finance deal ?.
    Just going back to Marks comment above, about the standard M5, ive often thought about going backwards to a standard M5, and building my own perceived ultimate M5, with a few choice mods, and having my own perceived CS, so to speak. The other point with the Porsche is, and i dont want to sound like a stuck record, is you cant buy one, unless waiting forever for it, and Porsche having another few price rises in the mean time, also, have a look at the price of very slightly used 2ndhand examples, over £200k now. I can tell you dont like the CS, and i made the decision not to buy one, but if they were a little cheaper, and didnt depreciate so much, i would have one after driving one. The depreciation rate also needs to be seen first, as it may have the same effect as the M2 ?.

toiletduck likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)