M3 E46 Front Brakes

Discussion in 'E46 FAQ' started by Jav, Jul 25, 2017.

1. 25 Jul 2017 at 9:40 AM #1
    Jav

Jav A mere Chipper

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Hi All,

I am changing my front brakes on my M3 - Discs and pads.

I am not sure which is best, I have been told Zimmermann are good but I have also seen ATE brakes which I have never heard of.

Please can anyone advise to which are best and where to get them from?

Cheers,

Jav

2. 25 Jul 2017 at 12:56 PM #2
    MattE46M3

MattE46M3 Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    ATE are original. These will be best if you only want standard. ECP sell them but you can get them a few places cheaper iirc. If you search I'm someone posted a link to German eBay on another thread.

3. 7 Sep 2017 at 1:10 AM #3
    M3Chas

M3Chas Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Grey
    Whatever you do don't get the pads from ECP. You may as well rock up to BMW and get some 330i pads; they will be no different.

You can get M-Spec Textars in the aftermarket but they are almost BMW money and with the hassle of finding them for the small saving.

4. 13 Sep 2017 at 12:14 PM #4
    MattE46M3

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    :muttley:

If you know what you're buying then the stuff at ECP is exactly the same but without the snob, dealer tax.

5. 28 Sep 2017 at 8:55 AM #5
    AWilson9

AWilson9 Wearing official underwear

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Amazes me that people still think companies can sell inadequate pads! Maybe on ebay etc or listed for 'Track' use but if they are for the road they have to meet R90 Approval, which basically means the friction is equivalent or better than the original specification :roflmao:

6. 28 Sep 2017 at 9:16 AM #6
    AWilson9

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    In addition to the above, ECP sell Textar, Pagid, ATE and Brembo for the M3. Biggest names in braking.

7. 29 Sep 2017 at 1:09 PM #7
    M3Chas

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Grey
    Amazes you? R90 is merely a minimal standard for road pads to meet. That's it.

As for the "people" you refer to, here are the rear pads I got from ECP. I was assured they were M3 pads:

[​IMG]

Please feel free to go onto Textar's website. The part number is not the same. The pads are the same size for a 330i and M3, but the number change insinuates something is different.

I queried this with ECP and they didn't want to know. I've done a few miles in cars too and have tried everything on certain cars ; eBay bits, Big name motor factor parts, "upgrades" and stealer bits.

It amazes me that people think everything is the same:roflmao::muttley:. Next you'll be saying a £5k M3 is as good as a £14k one :roflmao:

Please read above. It's not the first time I have noticed a difference in quality despite the names being the same.

Textar pads for M3:

http://textar.brakebook.com/bb/textar/en/PKW/16/3999/17440/applicationSearch.xhtml

And for the 330i:

http://textar.brakebook.com/bb/public/applicationSearch.xhtml

Same eh?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  8. 30 Sep 2017 at 7:48 AM #8
    AWilson9

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    Comes back to what Matt was saying above, know what you're buying. There's no reason why you can't give them the Textar number! I guess Lemforder from the dealer is different to Lemforder from any aftermarket supplier? Same applies for Bosch, Valeo and LUK etc.

If you're a trade customer you'll probably find the warranty returns process is easier with ECP/Parts Alliance etc too. I guess you're the type of person who'd buy timing belt kits from a dealer too?

9. 30 Sep 2017 at 8:59 AM #9
    MattE46M3

Your Motor:
    E46 M3
    As already said, it comes to knowing what you're buying. If you look on the ECP website you'll see two options for the rear on an M3. A quick call to a good parts man and they can give you both Textar numbers.

Textar number 2148701 is ECP part number 101110376
    Textar number 2148703 is ECP part number 101110246

Simple enough when you know how to use the system. If you spoke to them and they couldn't help then that's down to the individual and branch.

As for other parts, for example an arm. If you buy a Lemforder one from ECP and the dealer you will find the only difference is the stamp. It will usually be grinded off. BMW don't make parts. The company that makes them, do not make two different qualities of that part for the dealer and then for other suppliers.

10. 2 Oct 2017 at 12:03 AM #10
    M3Chas

Your Motor:
    2003 BMW M3
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Grey
    When I got mine there was only one option; I got mine quite a few months ago. Hardly user error and let's be honest, it's a little cheeky on ECP's part. While I can appreciate economies of scale I'd expect better for a known motor factor.

11. 23 Oct 2017 at 10:17 AM #11
    WayneB

WayneB Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 M3
    Or get some pads for an e34 520, they are exactly the same size but cost way loads less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)