M3 as 2nd car on classic policy - does 1st car have to mine?

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by robotson, May 2, 2020.

1. 2 May 2020 at 2:28 PM #1
    robotson

robotson A mere Chipper

What're you driving?:
    2003 330ci
    Been shopping around for insurance for an e46 M3, and the best price I've got so far is £800 for fully comp with protected NCB, and that's with Keith Michaels (underwritten by Highway LV). I'm 37, have no claims in last 5 years, and the car would be parked on a drive. However, I'm in Manchester, which I think is the main reason for the high cost!

Anyway, a lot of insurers I called said they only insured things like M3s as 2nd cars. So initially I discounted all of those, but now my girlfriend might be buying a cheap daily runaround when the lockdown is over, so just wondering what the requirements are for these types of classic policies, if anyone happens to know?

Can I just be insured on the other car? Or do I have to be the main driver? Or maybe do I have to be the owner/registered keeper on the logbook? And does the car have to reside at my home address? (we live separately at the moment but will be living together next year).

Best case scenario would be I would just be insured on the runaround, and it was kept at her place! :)

Cheers for any advice.

Matt330ci likes this.
  2. 13 May 2020 at 1:00 PM #2
    Matt330ci

Matt330ci Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    330 ci sport convertible
    Instead of starting a new thread, I'll tag onto this one.
    I'm thinking of an E46 M3 as a 2nd car. It's very much a limited use vehicle as we have 2 daily cars already. It'll be in the garage in a quite suburb in Kent. I'm 39.

My wife and I have a car each in our name, mine is an X3 insured with Admiral.

Is an E46 M3 too new to be classed as a classic? Am I best contacting Admiral to see what they'll do as tag on or are there other insurers that are better suited?

3. 16 May 2020 at 1:14 PM #3
    M3POWERBOY

M3POWERBOY Sponsor

What're you driving?:
    E46 M3 SMG Coupe
    Colour Combo:
    Silver Grey/Black Nappa/Alcantara Custom Recaro CS/CSL
    Ring around mate- or go on comparison sites- are you starting with 0 ncb?

4. 18 May 2020 at 7:46 AM #4
    Matt330ci

Matt330ci Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    330 ci sport convertible
    So studying sales on Piston Heads and Autotrader, there's barely any mention of the cars having had boot floor reinforced or the rod bearings.
    I had a 330ci for 5 years, I never had the boot floor checked tbh but it always drove ok and nothing was ever flagged at MOT time. Then again. MOT inspectors aren't all that.

If I was to buy a slightly tatty car, say worn leather, few marks there and there and had both the floor and bearings sorted, does this make it more desirable than a showroom car with neither?

Any recommendations for an expert in Kent that can do either/both jobs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)