M2C putting the power down in 2nd

Discussion in '1M and M2' started by M3NickM3, Nov 2, 2020.

1. 2 Nov 2020 at 10:59 PM #1
    M3NickM3

M3NickM3 Rocking a new hat

What're you driving?:
    2011 W204 C63 Saloon
    Colour Combo:
    Frozen Silver / Black
    I noticed when changing into second and then flooring it, the power delivery is non existent.

It just climbs up slowly to 3/4k revs then the power kicks in, it cant be turbo lag as it surely as its really slow.

In manual I can down shift to first then put power down, just when in 2nd D2 it doesn't.

I am using M modes, sport plus on all. Maybe cause its still breaking in and learning the driving habits?

2. 3 Nov 2020 at 6:34 AM #2
    Burns

Burns Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    E92 M3 & F87 M2c (Three Pedal Versions)
    Colour Combo:
    Silverstone / Hockenheim Silver
    Traction control?

“Flooring it” and “breaking in” don’t go so well together in a post though tbh.

3. 3 Nov 2020 at 7:36 AM #3
    M2CBen

M2CBen On the path

What're you driving?:
    2020 M2 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    LBB
    Yeah. Trying switching the TC off entirely and giving it another go.

Let us know how you get on (with photos etc). ;):muttley:

4. 3 Nov 2020 at 3:35 PM #4
    M3NickM3

What're you driving?:
    2011 W204 C63 Saloon
    Colour Combo:
    Frozen Silver / Black
    Lol,

My E92 never did this, even the NA C63 didn’t and that had an awful box.

So is this to down it the rev matching? And needing to turn DSC off

I was hoping the ECU was still adjusting the driver profile, the C63 did this.

5. 3 Nov 2020 at 4:15 PM #5
    toiletduck

toiletduck Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    F80
    I don't know what you mean about ECU adjusting. It just sounds like you're expecting there to be power where there isn't.

Power on these cars comes in between 3-4k. If you're at less than 3k in 2nd then flooring it is going to take a good second or two before you have real torque.

M2CBen likes this.
  6. 3 Nov 2020 at 4:57 PM #6
    M2CBen

M2CBen On the path

What're you driving?:
    2020 M2 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    LBB
    I think ecu adapting to driving style has generally been a thing for a while hasn't it?

All that rev matching does is blip the throttle to match the engine speed with the new gearbox speed when you change down a gear, meaning a smoother downshift that doesn't unsettle the car/risk locking the rear wheels. That has nothing to do with accelerating from 2k revs.

I think it might be as much about adapting your driving technique - a 6.3l NA V8 is a very different animal from a 3l twin turbo V6. The C63 would monster through it. As @toiletduck says, the M2C needs to be kept spinning at 3-4k before you put you foot down (peak torque, turbos 'spooled' ready to go etc).

That said, if you drop to 3k in 2nd gear and you stamp your foot on the floor, the car is only ever going sideways if the t/c is off unless it is bone dry and even then I wouldn't recommend it. Because of that, if the t/c is on, the ecu will kill the torque to retain control/keep the car straight and this is what will be hampering your progress/bogging you down/saving your life depending on which way you look at it...

Also I think the rev matching is automatically disabled if you switch off the t/c completely in the manual isn't it?

7. 3 Nov 2020 at 5:23 PM #7
    toiletduck

toiletduck Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    F80
    I still don't know what that means? What changes? If you drive around slowly all the time does the ECU set "Driver_Is_Pussy = True" and then your car only makes 300hp???

Correct only way to turn rev matching off on a manual is TC off (how men drive anyway) but the OP mentioned being in D2 so I suspect he has DCT.

8. 3 Nov 2020 at 5:50 PM #8
    M2CBen

M2CBen On the path

What're you driving?:
    2020 M2 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    LBB
    Ah yes he did, you're right. Sorry I thought he had a manual for some reason.

Mercedes have adaptive gearboxes that learn/gauge whether you're driving like a pussy or not and will adjust when it automatically changes gear accordingly;)

The engine ECU doesn't detect/engage pussy mode and cut engine power.

toiletduck likes this.
  9. 6 Nov 2020 at 11:30 PM #9
    Penetrator

Penetrator Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    F87 M2 Competition
    Inline 6 :suicide:

M2CBen likes this.
  10. 6 Nov 2020 at 11:33 PM #10
    M2CBen

M2CBen On the path

What're you driving?:
    2020 M2 Comp
    Colour Combo:
    LBB
    Doh! I know this. I really do!

Penetrator likes this.
  11. 7 Nov 2020 at 2:16 AM #11
    R60BBA

R60BBA Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    2002 E46 M3 Coupe / 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
    Colour Combo:
    Carbon Schwarz / Arktis Silber
    Peak torque is available from 2,350 rpm so it can’t be turbo lag.

Can’t be the auto rev matching feature either as that is designed to enable you to accelerate harder when downshifting by increasing the engine revs whilst in a lower gear.

Hesitation is usually throttle body/valvetronic or Vanos related. May be worth notifying this to your dealer when you are booked in for the RIS.

12. 7 Nov 2020 at 11:25 AM #12
    Steveo

Steveo Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    SMB M4CS with CCBs
    I’ve heard Big Dave knows a thing or two about this, he knows how to tune these beasts :muttley:

Penetrator likes this.
  13. 7 Nov 2020 at 12:03 PM #13
    Penetrator

Penetrator Flexing a golden cincture

What're you driving?:
    F87 M2 Competition
    he knows that some S55 are made of chocolate and sticky toffee pudding :D

14. 24 Nov 2020 at 12:56 PM #14
    M3NickM3

What're you driving?:
    2011 W204 C63 Saloon
    Colour Combo:
    Frozen Silver / Black
    I noticed after the RIS, as I wasn't using M mode or heavy footed until RIS.

Throttle just doesn't seem as responsive as Id expect, might be cause the turbo, engine, me being used to NA V8's etc.

The last turbo car I had was a Golf R, and I am pretty sure when you planted your foot in any gear it would put the power down increase revs pretty sharply.

I understand in 2nd when planting it, it cannot auto downshift to first, but id expect to see some power kick in at least. In other gears it seems ok as it can downshift then increase power, I just find it pretty useless that 2nd gear is so sluggish.

I am tempted to take to BMW, but I also cannot be bothered waiting around or leaving it with them etc.

15. 24 Nov 2020 at 1:02 PM #15
    M3NickM3

What're you driving?:
    2011 W204 C63 Saloon
    Colour Combo:
    Frozen Silver / Black
    I guess that might be the issue then, just doesn't feel good. Feels like more than a good second lol, but yes power does kick in around 3/4k.

I wonder if a Stage 1 would help with this, it definitely feels like its being restricted, same way the exhaust feels restricted because of the filters.

Not that I race my car or track it, but that 2nd gear is very important, and not being able to put the power down almost instantly will cost you.

Saying that I guess on a track you will always be keeping it in a high rev range anyway, maybe its just not good for traffic light grand prix, which is a good thing I guess lol

I read people saying you dont even notice any lag or delay on these cars, its the first thing I noticed.

16. 24 Nov 2020 at 2:24 PM #16
    Burns

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    There is definitely turbo lag. It's a completely different feeling to my E92 V8. You can also really feel where it is held back to "only" 405bhp after 5k revs. I find that the more frustrating bit over the turbo lag.

17. 24 Nov 2020 at 2:43 PM #17
    M3NickM3

What're you driving?:
    2011 W204 C63 Saloon
    Colour Combo:
    Frozen Silver / Black
    Yeah I know what you mean above 5k as well, it just feels restricted in a lot of places. It reminds of the Golf R but with more power, tighter, more accurate and a much better drive, but still has a plastic go kart feel. The engine is definitely questionable, and I do not think I would be pleased with a non restricted S55 engine in a F80/82. Restricted or not, I think its better in the M2.

I would love to remove the restriction, and guessing a Stage 1 would lift it. But if anything goes bang, that's on you. I am sure a Stage 1 would be pretty safe, especially as the engine has already been restricted. Even removing the restriction would probably make it so much better.

It just lacks that special feeling unfortunately, and it has been slightly mis-sold and over hyped IMO as many reviews and people said its such a great car, and similar to the 1M etc.

Don't get me wrong its a great car, and is fun to drive, great for maneuvering around town etc, and has the potential to even better with a few adjustments/modifications. I am still only 1200 or so miles in and the car hasn't even been broken in fully, I am enjoying it and for the monthly price I pay I dont think anything else will give me as much pleasure.

I kind of wish I bought a used one so I was more free to do what I want to it without repercussions of a void warranty, but for the same kind of money you can get a lot more. A less restricted, with a better noise, and even a V8. I am just tied in cause the deal and monthly payments were great.

18. 24 Nov 2020 at 8:07 PM #18
    Burns

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    AC Schnitzer tune to 500bhp plus with a warranty. Only problem is the cost! £5-6k iirc.

19. 24 Nov 2020 at 10:14 PM #19
    kimbow

kimbow Wearing official crakows

What're you driving?:
    M2 Competition
    Colour Combo:
    Hockenheim Silver
    Mines in A Reeve Performance for downpipes, full Akra, stage 2 tune, crank hub upgrade, panel filters and Eibach pro springs............Ill let you know how it goes when I get it back! yes it does feel a bit restricted, probably due to OPF and lower BHP than the M4 so it doesnt compete. Coming from a charged M3 the power is different but I like the low down torque without wringing it out. May even go hybrid turbos later, just to see:p

20. 24 Nov 2020 at 10:54 PM #20
    M3NickM3

What're you driving?:
    2011 W204 C63 Saloon
    Colour Combo:
    Frozen Silver / Black
    Wow very impressive, I am sure it will feel a lot better.

Saying that I am only 1300 miles into my M2C and just went out for a very hard drive.

I have been babying learning the characteristics of the car with it being new etc. I really started to abuse it today, and it really comes alive when you push it. I just forgot M cars need to be thrashed very hard!

The cornering and handling is somewhat boggling, its almost perfect and impressive how a RWD stays glued so well. I was annoyed by down the power restrictions at first, but I'm starting to think it makes the car more balanced and well rounded when you drive it hard. Its definitely growing on me more and more that's for sure, today's drive was fun and I cannot honestly remember if the E92 was that fun now lol.

To be continued...

M2CBen likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)