M2 convertible

Discussion in '1M and M2' started by MandyM3, Oct 15, 2020.

1. 15 Oct 2020 at 7:33 PM #1
    MandyM3

MandyM3 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril blue, champagne nappa leather
    I've started this thread, but not quite sure where I'm going with it yet... sorry... :oops2:

After another link to the Lightweight M2 convertible was posted for me recently on a new car thread elsewhere on Cutters, I decided to contact them to make some enquiries :eek:

They've come back to explain that if you want a right hand drive, you have to provide them with a base car, and then they modify to build it into the M2, and have offered me a build slot ready for collection in the spring! :bugeye:

They also said that they're about to sell theirs that they have already made that was in the link...

Aside from the fact that either way would be mega-bucks more than I've ever spent on a car... the current one is wrong-hand-drive, and the wrong colour... :muttley: they're based miles away in Germany... COVID... BREXIT... etc... and bearing in mind I'm loving my E46 more than ever...

... any thoughts...?

Oh and I nearly forgot, is there anyone with inside info on whether there's any hope that BMW might make one themselves in the future?

Go! :)

2. 15 Oct 2020 at 8:03 PM #2
    M Fifty

M Fifty Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2017 M2, 2002 330ci, 2003 M3 (deceased)
    Noting where you currently live, the most important thing to bear mind if you really want one of these is when to move to Brighton.

Also, if you're not already a hairdresser, are you any good at 'man waxing'?

3. 15 Oct 2020 at 9:06 PM #3
    MandyM3

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Please explain why I would need to move to Brighton, or be a hairdresser/waxer?

4. 15 Oct 2020 at 9:12 PM #4
    TigMik

TigMik Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Individual M4 CP
    Colour Combo:
    Ferrari Red/Beige CP83 ‘Ferris’
    Well done M fifty:rolleyes: You’re on your own here mate:lolwsign::oops:

Peter Wood and MandyM3 like this.
  5. 15 Oct 2020 at 10:11 PM #5
    Blue Scorpion

Blue Scorpion Wearing official underwear

What're you driving?:
    BMW M4 Convertible Competition
    Colour Combo:
    Yas Marina Blue / Silverstone
    Oh this could be a good one depending on how M Fifty replies. :chair: :muttley:

MandyM3 likes this.
  6. 15 Oct 2020 at 10:15 PM #6
    M Fifty

M Fifty Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2017 M2, 2002 330ci, 2003 M3 (deceased)
    Well, much of the abuse directed at M2 owners a few years ago appeared to be from F83 owners with extended leather, and heated seats who suddenly realised that their car were to Motorsport as the activities I described above are to toxic masculinity.

Questions, comments? :)

MandyM3 likes this.
  7. 16 Oct 2020 at 10:29 AM #7
    kimbow

kimbow Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    M2 Competition
    Colour Combo:
    Hockenheim Silver
    I'll try to field this one, Brighton.............gay capital?:muttley:

MandyM3 likes this.
  8. 16 Oct 2020 at 6:55 PM #8
    MandyM3

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Well done guys, some good attempts to save :muttley:

In case nobody's noticed though, I'm unlikely to need to relocate or change my career... :D

I know I said I didn't know where this was going, but I didn't quite expect that :rolleyes:

I was hoping for some thoughts/opinions both ways, maybe knowledge of the company or having work done in Germany, a BMW snitch who can spill the beans on any hope of getting one here from BMW (or talk them into it!), whether it's stupid money so a bit of a waste, I even thought it might get a bit mechanically techy for me - oh and maybe a bit of a slating for caring about the colour :) :oops:

GolfDuck likes this.
  9. 17 Oct 2020 at 8:52 PM #9
    MandyM3

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Does anyone have any thoughts please?

10. 17 Oct 2020 at 10:00 PM #10
    M4rkM

M4rkM Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    2017 M4 Competition Pack
    Colour Combo:
    Mineral white / black
    I wouldn’t touch a car of that value modified to that extent with a barge pole, you’d also need to keep it forever as the chances of selling it on would be practically zero imo
    Then there’s getting it insured......

MandyM3 likes this.
  11. 17 Oct 2020 at 10:13 PM #11
    MandyM3

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Thank you for your response :peace: you've kind of said exactly what is putting me off...

However, an M2 convertible is just so tempting to me, but the prices are huge... and I hadn't even reached the point of thinking about insurance :oops2:

I had been wondering whether I could find somewhere in this country to do one and remove the risk of EU issues... :think: hmmmmm!

M4rkM likes this.
  12. 17 Oct 2020 at 10:20 PM #12
    JonD999

JonD999 Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    Trabant
    What would be the EU issues?

scenario could be that you drive the base vehicle over there, then several months later you drive it back. No one on the boarder would know it’s different, would make sure it has a valid MOT with a duration that’ll get you back and do any changes to the V5 befit returns.

what engine have you asked for a quote on? To reduce cost you could ask for a N55 M2 engine, they sound so much better than the S variant.

Or possibly more cost effective, keep the original engine, but the id image you’d want to buy a 235/240 variant.

But as above, given what it may cost it needs to be a keeper because if you decide to sell it will only appeal to a small market.

Insurance wise, there’s plenty of modified cars in this country, there will be insurers who cater for these type of vehicles.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    MandyM3 likes this.
  13. 18 Oct 2020 at 8:23 AM #13
    Blue Scorpion

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    I think that the concept is ok but it would be financial suicide unless you have money to burn.
    It would be a hard car to move on when the time came and then there is the risk that an official version comes out and that would kill any value you did have.

If you want something that size I would go for a 240i and put some nice bits on it.
    I know it is not what you were wanting to buy but it is as close to it as you can get while playing a safe financial card.

A 240i with M2 CS wheels and Carbon goodies would be a nice car.

MandyM3 likes this.
  14. 18 Oct 2020 at 12:17 PM #14
    MandyM3

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Thank you for replying :peace:

Regarding EU issues - it was partly that I've never bought a car or had any work done abroad, so don't know regulations, tax/tariff issues (and whether Brexit would affect things); and partly in the current Covid situation the unknowns relating to travel/lockdowns/business continuing/etc...

I do worry for England on anything and everything, and this is a pretty big, completely out-of-character option that I've been wondering about! :eek:

I hadn't really thought of the logistics - what you are saying re driving it there and then drive it back afterwards makes sense. The guy has mentioned he has transport company links to pick up and deliver as an option.

I didn't actually ask for a particular engine, I asked if they could build one like theirs; I did however ask what the best base model/engine would be for them, and he suggested the "M240i without OPF (otto particular filter) since the car does feature the b58 engine which is a very good platform to get more performance with an exhaust, downpipe and software." Their price would include "M2 Bodykit, silencer, downpipe, software (performance output approx. 420 - 440 bhp), wheelset, suspensionkit, interieur, M2GTS hood in carbon, our bodykit parts".

I get what you're saying about re-sale - I know it would probably be a very small niche for something like this...

I guess I know the answer really, just interested to find out more about it if it would be an option, and see what people thought :thumbsup:

JonD999 likes this.
  15. 18 Oct 2020 at 12:38 PM #15
    MandyM3

What're you driving?:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Thank you for your response :peace:

Financial suicide is probably what it would be actually :rolleyes: I always have a car fund on the go, and just thought I'd find out some info and an estimate. Saying that, I've been dithering about buying brand new OEM wheels for my E46 for ages now... :oops2: (and that's obviously a much cheaper option than doing this!).

The potential for a real M2 convertible from BMW would really be an issue, as I would then regret this and want a factory one, saving all the hassle of having one converted, and the greater loss that would lead to. That was why part of my original post asked if anyone has any inside info on whether there's any hope that BMW might make one themselves in the future - that's what I'm really after :rolleyes: :)

I have looked at adverts for the M240i convertible, and have seen a couple on the roads or parked up. I know you've kind of said the same above - but they just don't quite do it for me - I wouldn't keep looking at it with a big grin on my face as I do with my E46. I prefer the body shape of the M2 with the flared arches, and the bonnet on the Lightweight convertible is much better! However, I do understand what you're suggesting, and I guess you could have the bodykit/bonnet changed so that I liked the looks more?

It would definitely be safer and sit better with my cautious nature to either wait for BMW to make one, or do some less drastic mods on an M240i :thumbsup:

I guess the fact that I'm asking the question means I'm not really ready to do something this huge or expensive! :thumbsup:

16. 18 Oct 2020 at 1:29 PM #16
    Blue Scorpion

What're you driving?:
    Colour Combo:
    There is one for sale at Sarah Cox Cars.

www.sarahcoxcars.co.uk

Will give you an idea of what is around the UK.

Coolbiker and MandyM3 like this.
  17. 22 Oct 2020 at 10:19 AM #17
    Scottyant

Scottyant Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    X3M comp
    Colour Combo:
    Toronto Red

I’ve got a thought for you Amanda ...... :D

Think I’d rather chase the cheese down coopers Hill than spend that much on a 2 series :eek: .....for 75k you could get a beautiful Infact stunning New 718 boxster GTS with a throbbing 4.0 engine :eek:

Sorry .... all this talk of Brighton :D

On a serious note , I really like that M2 convertible however wouldn’t you struggle with insurance etc plus it’s a lot of money to spend on a none factory M2 ! But the flip side is you’d have a very very unique car I guess . Regarding financial suicide on a car ..... I bought a 4CS so I’m not the best to advise :muttley::muttley:. Think I’d hold out in the hope of a factory one in the future Or keep your E46 as it’s what you love . I think fantastic examples like your car will start to go up over next few years as there gets fewer and fewer of them .

MandyM3 likes this.
  18. 22 Oct 2020 at 12:08 PM #18
    M3 GFY

M3 GFY Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    F83 M4 WITH A CARBON TIPPED MPE
    Colour Combo:
    Sakhir Orange/Full Black Leather with Sakhir Orange Stitching
    You would literally cr4p yourself if I took you out in mine. The noise of the MPE would have you peeing yourself.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    MandyM3 and Scottyant like this.
  19. 22 Oct 2020 at 12:22 PM #19
    toiletduck

toiletduck Rocking a new hat

What're you driving?:
    F80 6MT
    Why not just buy an M4 convertible? Surely it's going to be cheaper than building your own M2 convertible and the only reason you'd buy a 2 instead of a 4 is money.

20. 22 Oct 2020 at 12:40 PM #20
    Scottyant

Scottyant Achieved official socks

What're you driving?:
    X3M comp
    Colour Combo:
    Toronto Red

Yeh I’ve Hurd they rattle loudly :D

M3 GFY likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)