Lightweight Batteries in E92 M3

Discussion in 'E90 Saloon / E92 Coupe / E93 Convertible M3 (2008-2013)' started by 7nth, May 9, 2019.

1. 11 May 2019 at 5:32 PM #21
    Pdelamare

Pdelamare Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3, Mercedes E63 5.5, Caterham Levante, Smart Prime
    You have to careful which carbon shaft you use. I have one from the original supplier of the M Factory one, but I know that the DSS version does vibrate at speed. The M Factory one doesn’t.

2. 11 May 2019 at 9:58 PM #22
    Scott

Scott Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3
    Great thread, a lot of useful information. Has anybody removed the IBS? Any negatives? Easy to do?

3. 11 May 2019 at 10:12 PM #23
    philrob1

philrob1 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition, Noble M12GTO3
    Colour Combo:
    Dakar/Black
    Do you notice a massive difference mate?

4. 12 May 2019 at 12:54 AM #24
    mlhj83

mlhj83 On the path

Your Motor:
    '11 E92 M3 | F56 JCW | 991.2 GT3 RS WP
    If you remove IBS, it will affect the way Efficient Dynamics work, and it may affect brake energy regeneration, therefore the alternator will constantly be running, causing parasitic loss of engine power during acceleration.

I monitor the voltage of my car, and I know the alternator disengages whenever I accelerate, as the voltage drops, but the moment I coast or brake, the voltage increases to over 14V, indicating that the alternator has reactivated.

BMW states:

"BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.
    Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery."

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  5. 12 May 2019 at 12:40 PM #25
    Pdelamare

Pdelamare Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3, Mercedes E63 5.5, Caterham Levante, Smart Prime
    From the impression I got in my Caterham, it adds more feel and directness, rather than adding performance. I’ve yet to actually try in in my M3.

philrob1 likes this.
  6. 13 May 2019 at 4:01 PM #26
    Ant Man

Ant Man Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Individual with Competition Package
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching
    Phil - you may have already read it but a regular track goer on m3post gained 0.0 seconds at his favourite track when he swapped to a carbon fibre drive shaft. He did say it felt quicker but as the saying goes 'the stop watch don't lie...'

Pdelamare likes this.
  7. 13 May 2019 at 4:06 PM #27
    Ant Man

Ant Man Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E92 M3 Individual with Competition Package
    Colour Combo:
    Santorini Blue / black with blue stitching
    Thanks. I'll add this info to my notes. I've had the stop / start coded out.

8. 13 May 2019 at 4:16 PM #28
    Nunga

Nunga Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3 manual
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Laser Anthrazit Stoff
    https://lithiumax.eu/

Much much cheaper than Litebloxx, and available through Burkhart Engineering. The big one weighs 3.6kg and costs in the vicinity of €700. It is definitely what I’ll be buying to replace my current battery.

9. 15 May 2019 at 10:45 PM #29
    ttdan

ttdan Rocking a new hat

Your Motor:
    911 GT3 RS, E92 M3, F21 M135i
    Colour Combo:
    M3 Interlagos Blue/ Black
    I have a Braille IC48, 4.5kg, bit spendy but have had it in and out of a couple of cars. These things last years too so they can be thought of as economical with the correct man maths applied. Cars spins much quicker on start up too. Can sit for ages and still have loads of power although I do keep it on a lithium ctek tender.

10. 17 May 2019 at 3:55 PM #30
    Scott

Scott Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    M3
    Thanks for the information, very useful.

When you say the alternator disengages, what do you mean? I assume you mean it disengages the load side (ie. opens a switch to stop charging the battery) because physically the alternator will always be connected. Therefore while I accept disengaging the load will reduce burden on the alternator and in turn the engine, I do not believe it will be that significant. However, without seeing calcultations then I suppose we must trust the smart guys at BMW.

Removing the IBS is solely dependant on application. If you are looking to get the lightest car possible and only use it on track then I would be removing the IBS, relocating the battery behind driver seat and fitting an under drive pulley. All the weight loss would more than offset against the parasitic loss of engine power during acceleration in my opinion.

11. 17 May 2019 at 7:49 PM #31
    mlhj83

mlhj83 On the path

Your Motor:
    '11 E92 M3 | F56 JCW | 991.2 GT3 RS WP
    There must be a clutch for the alternator otherwise it would be impossible for BMW to claim to save 3% of fuel with the energy recovery system. If the alternator remained physically engaged to the engine, then the parasitic loss would always be there, so BMW must have somehow created a system to physically disengage the alternator from the engine, and power the vehicle's electronics from the battery instead.

But what you said is true regarding total weight loss (and it's overall gain) vs parasitic loss from removing all the IBS. If you're building a stripped out lightweight, it would certainly make sense to remove IBS totally.

12. 22 May 2019 at 10:33 PM #32
    DuncS3

DuncS3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2005 E46 M3 and 2013 E92 M3
    I had no idea the cars had IBS - lightweight battery was a big weight saving in my e46 so interested to go this route on my e92

13. 23 May 2019 at 3:09 PM #33
    HookdexM3

HookdexM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    E90 M3
    Colour Combo:
    Fire orange
    I have an Odyssey PC1100 in mine. Decent weight saving, not as much as the LI batteries but it's a fraction of the price. Sits happily for a few weeks without issue.

I'm having IBS coded out and removed next week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)