Lambert’s belated project thread.

Discussion in 'Member Rides' started by lambert, Apr 14, 2019.

1. 14 Apr 2019 at 4:35 PM #1
    lambert

lambert Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Hey cutters, I trust your all well.

I admire all of your own threads showing us your hard work and goings on regarding general M3 ownership. I watch and follow as much as possible spending many hours in this part of the forum and I wish I had started doing this myself months ago, So with that said please bare me with as I pick up the camera a little more from now, I will be updating as we go along in the near future but I will share what we have done so far.

This is my second M3 and I’ve been lerking around the site for a while, this year we vow to attend more shows and gatherings in hope to meet you all.

I picked up this absolutely pristine example from a friend of the family of whom has owned the car since around 2005 time. It is a complete replica of my last M meaning it’s the same colour spec and year from my last one which I loved but sadly sold in 2015.

When I learned of this vehicle coming up for sale I snapped it up, knowing how genuine it is and the history behind is flawless.

Here is a picture or two of the day I first picked it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completely stock apart from 20mm front wheel spacers and a Csl rear diffuser.

In need of a good clean.. didn’t take long to get stuck in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. 14 Apr 2019 at 4:44 PM #2
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    The M3 came from the Cooper Bmw Ipswich Dealer of which i worked at for 9 years from leaving school.

As said previously, the car was local to me when I bought it off a family friend and was a huge coincidence to find out it came from the same garage I worked at all those many years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the day of original purchase from
    Cooper Ipswich.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  3. 14 Apr 2019 at 5:09 PM #3
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    The long story short!

After selling my beautiful Bmw e30 cabriolet last year and also my daily runner of which was a Chrysler 300c on big 22inch wheels, the plan was to downsize the fleet so I needed to buy a car of which really combined the best of the two. It had to be sporty but semi practical, well.. atleast airbags, remote locking and heated seats, something i could use in all weathers if needed unlike my garage queened e30.

I had my heart set on a Porsche 996 as I saw this as natural progression and hadn’t planned for another e46 at the time. To be honest my last car left me with a dent in the bank from repairs and with that my previous m3 dream had been somewhat flattened.

Agreed a deal with a chap from the midlands with his Porsche 996 in speed yellow. We were probably a good two weeks into negotiations on a private sale. I had the money ready, booked time of work with a friend to join and had everything in place for a straight forward deal to be taken place on a Friday meaning a very excited man (me) was left feeling rather pee’d off to say the least when he msged me at 10pm the night before calling off the sale for sentimental reasons, I understand this but after selling one car and the other ready to go I was so annoyed I literally couldn’t even reply to him as I would probably say or do something rather embarrassing.

We needed a set of wheels fast so ending up buying my brothers e36 328i sport. His pride and joy but being in the forces ment he didn’t have time for it and was happy to let me have it whilst I make futher plans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above is a picture of each car.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  4. 14 Apr 2019 at 5:44 PM #4
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Since my brother had been away serving for the country and wasn’t around much to keep the 328i in top condition. I did my best to maintain it in his absences but it had a couple of rust bubbles appear on both passenger side wing and rear arch, i decided to get this sorted before any futher plans comended giving me more time to search for my next car and whilst a trip to my local Bmw bodyshop for this I bumped into the then owner of my M3, his the main painter of the bodyshop and been there for many years, a chap called Steve.

We spoke and discussed how I had then become in my situation I was in and he said to me grinning with a cheeky smile “buy mine!”

I took this with a rather large pinch of salt at first as I knew it was his absolute pride and joy and was previously told that he would never ever sell it. I also was well aware of the hard work and maintenance put into this m3 and with the fact it was still under Bmw uk warranty. I did not hesitate atall to say yes and a deal was made, he took the blue 328i of me in px to speed the process up kindly, to which he repaired the arches on and re sold.

Heres a few images of his work that he did on the m3 many years ago. This was paid for under the Bmw warranty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    m3spurs likes this.
  5. 14 Apr 2019 at 5:57 PM #5
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    When I collected the car it had been stored in his garage for a while and a quick look at the mots revealed a rather low amount of miles had been done over the last few years. It was his summer car and with a growing family it just wasn’t used.

Upon revealing, it had a annoyingly large stone chip in the front window and the bottom of the front bumper had a scrape. Nothing enough to ever put me off but we agreed it needed sorting and so he kindly painted the bumper for me and organised the front window to be replaced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a difference to a car it makes to have a brand new windowscreen!

6. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:04 PM #6
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    As soon as I could Transfer my private plates from the Chrysler onto the m3 I had coopers make me some up and they were fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  7. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:08 PM #7
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Sadly whilst mounting the plates I noticed on the rear there was a tiny little rust bubble below the boot handle.

This ment it was back in the bodyshop, I voluntary payed for this repair as it was only fair and I didn’t notice it upon purchase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  8. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:22 PM #8
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Around this point I’ve gone into abit of a crazy spending spree with trying to get her into an absolutely mint state replacing weathered items. Anything that could be changed was.

Everything listed below was replaced:

Bonnet vent
    Side and rear M badges
    Front and side indicators
    Front kidney grills
    Front bumper lower grill
    Rear lights
    Number plate lights
    Headlight seals
    Headlight lenses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:29 PM #9
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    [​IMG]

You may of noticed, oddly my car had a colour coded bonnet vent. I asked Steve about this thinking he probably painted it but he said no and it came from coopers Ipswich like that, After looking at the above pictures from the main dealers he was correct. I was a little unsure on how it looked so ordered a brand new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:35 PM #10
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Now anybody who knows me will tell you I’m not into the carbon look on my cars.

After very much deep thinking I decided to go against the grain and removed the csl diffuser to replace it with a stock one.

[​IMG]

11. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:42 PM #11
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    After feeling completely spent on the car we focused more on detailing her, doing each bit weekly over the space of about a month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:48 PM #12
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Absolutely gutted after leaving a car meet we lost the front drivers side indicator which was only a month old. Can only put this down to my poor fitting and perhaps an over spirited drive.

To make it worse it left a nasty scratch on the front wing. So back to the body shop we went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 14 Apr 2019 at 6:57 PM #13
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    After the car came back from the front arch respray it was covered in compound and dust so outcome the cleaning gear again, it was at this point I also had a sneaky but daring purchase.

Wait for it!....

Yes, to all you wing haters, a clubsport rear spoiler was added and the top side of the bootlid was re painted.

Here’s a picture of it detailed afterwards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since owning a 330ci clubsport many years ago and fell in love with the rear wing after a while, every time I saw one without, it seemed like something was missing.

I know it’s marmite and I bet everyone says i should have a gone the csl route but I like to be different plus these were an option on m3s from the dealer at new so I that makes me sleep a little easier.

YoungBenny and MandyM3 like this.
  14. 14 Apr 2019 at 7:29 PM #14
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Sadly, for the next month to 6 weeks we were completely plagued by a non starting issue which turned out to be flat battery, it was dying exactly every 4 days.

After trying everything possible to find a cause/trying rectify the issue we sent it back to Bmw cooper Ipswich under warranty for the professionals to look at.

[​IMG]

I was told to take it away after they replaced the battery, to “see how I get on with it”.

You guessed it.. Same thing happened again, so after a futher two more trips to coopers they couldn’t find the fault. They kept asking me to return and they told me it was something regarding the passenger heated seat element but I lost faith and looked else were for answers.

(We checked everything).

First point of call was to check bootlid wiring as it had been off but that wasn’t the issue. We followed step by step advice on battery drains, checked the alarm Sensors, the interior lights. The door actuators, tested the alternator..

Coopers then sent out another battery, that didnt work. We done all the sleeping tests to try find when and if the car awoke but couldn’t find any answers.

Then went on to the heater hedgehog resistor. What a pig that was to replace!

[​IMG]

I turned to cutters in the end for help and thank God we got pointed in baris carphonics direction! He saved us and his knowledge is second to none.

The amp was stage 2 updated/changed. Whilst being there we him we enabled the tv function and also the Bluetooth audio update. Really transforms the cockpit options and whilst I was sceptical about it helping with the battery drain we were delighted that it completely fixed the issue and the cars never died since. I can only assume it was the factory Bluetooth amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New monitor screen.
    Tv function working.
    Driving in motion enabled.
    Amp 2 upgrade.
    Bluetooth to aux.

Very spent, but happy man!

Thanks baris!

15. 14 Apr 2019 at 8:14 PM #15
    MandyM3

MandyM3 Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Colour Combo:
    Estoril blue, champagne nappa leather
    Fab looking car, and good to see another proper spoiler :D

lambert likes this.
  16. 14 Apr 2019 at 8:21 PM #16
    marrow

marrow Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 m3 vert
    Stunning car love PY coupe !!

lambert likes this.
  17. 14 Apr 2019 at 8:23 PM #17
    Vulpes

Vulpes On the path

Your Motor:
    2018 M4 CP
    Colour Combo:
    SMB
    This was my favourite car at the recent Snetterton meet, it's absolutely immaculate and a real credit to you.

lambert likes this.
  18. 14 Apr 2019 at 8:40 PM #18
    Nunga

Nunga Achieved official socks

Your Motor:
    2003 E46 M3 manual
    Colour Combo:
    Mystic Blue/Laser Anthrazit Stoff
    Great stuff so far. I’m surprised you didn’t upgrade the rear to LEDs but I commend your efforts on keeping the car totally original. Probably the nicest PY car Ive seen.

lambert likes this.
  19. 14 Apr 2019 at 9:23 PM #19
    lambert

Your Motor:
    2003 PY BMW M3 SMG
    Colour Combo:
    PY/Black leather
    Thanks to all kind comments it really does mean a lot when were so deep financially into these things and sometimes wonder why but it’s times like this when it does make sense.

To answer your question Nunga, I have been toying with leds, if I get some they will have to be oem and coded.

I really dislike the prefacelift centre lights so for the last few weeks I’ve been running them like this..

[​IMG]

As I said, I think we will end up with the leds very soon, But still in two minds.

Thanks again,
    All the best

Lambert

20. 14 Apr 2019 at 9:41 PM #20
    Tyler

Tyler Wearing official robes

Your Motor:
    M3 E46
    Good job, but that spoiler is hmm marmite lol and the exhausts dude need sorting out so wonky and low

lambert likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)